As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neolight's days of Thunder: Updated 1/17/2016

NeolightNeolight Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in Artist's Corner
Hey, I'm pretty new to these forums. There are some great artists here, so figured i'd follow in the paths of others and let loose some things i've done.

Currently i'm a freshman in NYU Tisch majoring in animation. This year all the film oriented majors are taking these pre-req classes so we haven't had a whole lot of drawing. I've just kept illustrating things throughout the year so I wouldn't run out of practice.

I hope you guys can rip them to shreds for me.

3r2rr32r32.jpg

86750492-35461004-tribes2.jpg

luskmarketplace.jpg

432rf.jpg

fefewdfgd.jpg

94238928-tinder.jpg

27682251-ThisWhiteField(FF).jpg

979222410-CA7.jpg

489106623-l3.jpg

56495475-TheGravityofYourTears(FF).jpg

Neolight on

• Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey mate! Nice work. I like your colour and perspective. The only one i can pick on is the top illustration, looks like it needs more work in the background. At the moment it looks a bit blury. Other than that they look nice. I especially like the third pice. Is this for a particular idea for a story you are working on?

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    furriez! lulz

for serious, some alright stuff happening here, the thing that really threw me off is the foreshortening of the snout in the first image. the whole face is flat and needs a bit more depth.

overall your digital pieces feel a little untidy and unfinished. they could use some polish and tightening up.

i really like all the structure designs. buildings and scenery seem to be your strongest point, the character design is considerably weaker. it's usually the opposite for most people.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Is this for a particular idea for a story you are working on?

Yes it is. I blocked out an animated feature this year - probably writing a screenplay over the summer. The illustrations just sort of helped me pinpoint what was going on, what things looked like. Hopefully I can get started on making it before I'm a sophmore.

Yeah, i'm pretty used to people telling me my environments are better. The problem is that I simply can't draw a perrson. I got the very same crit at a Wizards of the Coast review before the art director told me to go draw 900 more figures. I really just need to do that. Hopefully some life drawing workshops in the city will feature a summer discount.

Thanks guys.

Neolight on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Very nice, but you could work some on adding depth to the pieces, through paler/less saturated tone in the distance. They all look a bit flat for such expansive compositions. A good excercise to do is take one of the pieces you've posted and convert it to greyscale. You'll notice that it is all very similar in darkness. More contrast and more definition between the foreground and background areas will give them much more depth and make them more interesting to look at.

Nice work though, keep posting. :)

Lly on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    None of these look finished. Digital brush strokes being visible across the board is not a good coloring or drawing technique. Frankly, the hastily smudged out backgrounds, unfinished sketch lines, and unfocused edges and colors just make it all look kind of lazy. I didn't think much until I realized that you seem to intend for these to be finished works, and they're not really. They're all pretty good starts, and I can see where they could go, but they all look pretty preliminary right now.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh lawd is dat sum Tribes fanart?

I had a bunch of crits but I deleted them because, us two? We're friends now.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah these all have a lot of promise, but they just need to be all rendered a little more. From looking at these. it looks like you are using really small brushes. If you are trying to get that messy painting feel, use some bigger brushes.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A good excercise to do is take one of the pieces you've posted and convert it to greyscale. You'll notice that it is all very similar in darkness. More contrast and more definition between the foreground and background areas will give them much more depth and make them more interesting to look at.

That is a good excercise, I usually just use auto blance on PS to get an idea of how far off I am but I'll give this a go next time.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I agree that these are really awesome and good starts but don't seem finished.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Neat stuff. I like the feeling the pieces give.

The second picture is really lacking in detail. The building (?) looks really tiny. It needs more detail I think...unless I'm reading that one completely wrong.

Your compositions are interesting.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    They look quite good, but I think you need to talk to someone with an acting major, as the stances seem unlikely given context.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Um, the guy with the jetpack... Is he looking back at the cube, which is floating in the foreground? Or is he looking back toward the camera, flying toward a giant cube-shaped building in the background?

Damn thats confusing.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Um, the guy with the jetpack... Is he looking back at the cube, which is floating in the foreground? Or is he looking back toward the camera, flying toward a giant cube-shaped building in the background?

Damn thats confusing.

Now i'm confused :\ Its the perspective thats fucking the whole thing up, maybe if I had taken a ground to arial vantage point it would be easier to read. Gotta keep that in mind :O

Yes, its starsiege tribes and was my entry speed paint to apply for a particular game modification that strives to bring a like z-axis shooter back :3 But I can't talk about it much further. I will say that our team's got very good leadership, our gameplay is allready better than legions IMO, and we will get done.

Anyway, i've done quite a bit during my absence so here's more stupid shit. C&C would be lovely, no zerg rush before 10 minutes plz. (Theres one very wide picture in here)

23724675-Raindancemap1secondver.jpg

1010981157-raindancemap2.jpg

158276104-raindancemap3.jpg

Blackbuildingroomthumbscopy.jpg

810183570-concept.jpg

cow.jpg

Herotwarrior.jpg

IsangrenMillitary.jpg

guy.jpg

bridgeman.jpg

I've placed an emphasis on cleaning up messy lines and stuff as suggested and now the problem is that everything seems to be a little too refined so that they appear fake / toyish. I need to develop an eye of reflectivity??

Neolight on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love the tribes stuff.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm really not liking that thin scratchy brush you're using for your highlights, apart from that though good stuff.

I know what you mean about the pasty toy-like look, unfortunately I have no idea what you could do about it. I'm sure one of our more learned collegues will be along soon with timely advise.

Mustang on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is that Sonic in one of your pics...?

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    jibjibjibjib Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There's something missing, and I wasn't sure what it was until just now. Your shadows are just darker/more saturated versions of the same color. This makes everything look a little pastel-y and just generally "off". Try shading with complimentary colors and refining your pallet. You seem to have everything else under control pretty well.

Also: You could make better use of atmospheric perspective in your environmental paintings to give the structures a sense of massive size and distance, making them look less like models. It would also fix your depth and visual hierarchy problems (such as the jet-pack cube guy one.)

jibjib on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Good call jibjib.....I hadn't noticed that but yes I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, that's a big problem, not to mention your color pallets are really bland, and...I still don't see anything looking polished or finished. Things lack detail, smoothness, and still have a lot of sketchiness, up to the original lines still being there. I would strongly suggest trying either to finish one of these, spending time on it repeatedly until it's done (with advice from others), or spending more time learning about texture and color and contrast. Your perspective and geometry are great, but at this point it's a bunch of bland shapes and some light.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, out of all of these I like your environment/building designs the most by far. What an imagination!

You need to finish those post-haste!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm back, kupo.

Creambun - That's good news.

Mustang/jibjib/srsizzy - The white scratchy brush is usually residue from me trying to build more of a form on an object or just trying thigs. Its like lineart, but i'm drawing it mid-painting or something. Its probably also general messiness from trying to light an object - I can't say I really know what i'm doing there and I bet it shows.

Texture I need to work on no doubt, I'm currently stuck on a big interior painting and its driving me absolutely insane. If there is a way to recover the first painting by adding in some atmospheric perspective and generally utilizing the crits here I would do it.

I'll also try the snowy yggdrassil one. We'll see how it turns out. I've got a gnomon workshop vid on color theory - maybe that will clarify things.

Winter combat knight - No. You are clearly delusional.

God father - Thanks, I'll finish them when I can get a better definition of finish into my brain.

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Allright, lets give these a try.

I've labored on this one over the course of this week. I am REALLY trying to finish this one, but i'm getting tired of looking at it. Since I dont really paint villains and monsters, I was kind of out of my comfort zone this time. The BIG VERSION is here for those of you who who are interested in critiquing: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-3/679183/Amrnottbig.jpg

Amrnott.jpg

Here are little character concepts.

dagrstyxwatver.jpg

More for the mod, this was hard to do considering the fact that they want everything pretty fast. Unfortunately, if I didn't take my time on this thing it would really have looked like all the other shit i've done for them. I tried to push the reflections here, though I know there could be more.

Blackbasemainhallinterior.jpg

Hopefully you guys see improvements.

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Just a glaring one here; The legs in the second panel on the second image...one leg is significantly longer than the other. I can see you've angled the hip to compensate, but it's still not right.

Mustang on
  • Options
    mudkachumudkachu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Neolight, if I may ask for some advice from you; how do you go about starting an environment piece? Do you just plot a horizon line, some vanishing points and then work willy nilly? Or is it a more contemplative process where you sketch elements separately and piece them together in a space? The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to practice making indoor/outdoor environments like your "blackbase interior", but when I open up a program and have a blank canvas staring at me, I go: "Okay, what do I do first?".

mudkachu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    mudkachu wrote: »
    I go: "Okay, what do I do first?".

Its hard to just jump into an interior or any sort of big environment without doing thumbnails first. Everything for the mod was all apart of a process of making a finished concept from just some idea. If you have an urge to draw something, but dont quite know what it is then do a bunch of small really fast thumbnails that dont look good and pick one. Draw the most desirable line of it or whatever.

When I do an environment, I have a dark canvas and stick to big brushes and the horizon line gets established just from making a sky and a ground. If its a really angled shot without any horizon or something weird like that- I was probably prepared to do it. Other times, I've tried doing the sparth thing with all of these wierd brushes. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it really really doesnt.

Dont really think of vanishing points and realy ruling things out. But thats probably where I could be better. Most of its really just sketched out.

Neolight on
  • Options
    mudkachumudkachu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think you've enlightened me on a subject that was pretty much in the dark for me. I'll try out those thumbnail ideas, something that should have been obvious for me to do but I guess it just slipped from me.

mudkachu on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yessss Neolight yess

I really like the "Amir" piece

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    538971035-Armory.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Tribal_Wars____Snow_Map___by_Neolight.jpg

Sonic__Catacombs_of_Mobius_by_Neolight.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Veemon__s_Stash_by_Neolight.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Patachu_Strikes_Back_by_Neolight.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Fasner_Alleys_by_Neolight.jpg

Forgetting_the_Red_Commanders_by_Neolight.jpg

Summoning_the_Miracle_by_Neolight.jpg

LICHT_BEIN_by_Neolight.jpg

Tribal_Wars__RA_interior_by_Neolight.jpg

The_Soul_Fisher_by_Neolight.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Inter3Dboards2.jpg

fe-1.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Now interning at Garage Games!

2009-179-14-15-40-1-1240603734.voltemand_legoinsfinal2.jpg

2009-140-5-30-4-1-superbuildings5.jpg

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There is something here that is preventing these from being rediculously awesome....but I don't know what it is.......I'll have to stroke my chin, smoke a pipe and ponder for a little bit.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    There is something here that is preventing these from being rediculously awesome....but I don't know what it is.......I'll have to stroke my chin, smoke a pipe and ponder for a little bit.

I feel the same way. I think I end up over detailing the entire image instead of letting atmospheric perspective and lighting do it's thing. Don't hesitate if you come up with a crit ;3

Neolight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Y'know I honestly can't fault the rendering. The detailing would only be a problem if you're under a time constraint. However there are a few general structural and perspective problems that I think are bringing the whole show down. Particularly in the flying soldier piece.

You might want to revist some fundamentals, pencil and pad studies of anatomy and perspective, don't forget to use references for your poses. It's not that it's bad, but it could be better.
    Try to leave as few cut corners as possible, if something isn't right, don't leave it, fix it.

Mustang on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I enjoy the backgrounds far more than I enjoy any of the characters. I think this disparity contributes to preventing the ridiculously awesome for me.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Major issues detracting from awesome:
    - Being able to easily distinguish digital brush strokes everywhere with no effort to blend them.
    - All those thin white/light outlines. They look really sketchy and poorly rendered; it's a lazy way to create edge highlights. They sometimes seem randomly and too commonly distributed.
    - It looks like you're working at a low resolution; your level of detail could actually be much higher, and you could start utilizing texture much more at the level you're at.
    - Lines that aren't straight. Fine in a sketch, should be smoothed out in finished pieces to be straight. It's obvious with a line/object should be straight/smooth and isn't.
    - General muddiness in blending/rendering. Not very prominent, but, for reference, your best rendered textures are the distant mountains in the rocket trooper and mining robot pieces.

Besides all that, huge improvement from last year. Good job. I love the character concept of that little dragon guy.

srsizzy on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The problem with them is theres no value composition. Your foreground, midground and background all have the same value structures.

Theres kind of three really basic ways to compose your values in an illustration:
    Bright foreground on dark background.
    Dark Foreground on bright background.
    Or high contrast foreground on mid grey background.

I did a paint over of your piece to show you what kind of compositional impact you can get with just the basic values. This is of course a pretty extreme (and poorly done) example as I went from near white to near black, but the breakdown is pretty obvious.
    value.jpg

Ryan Church does this really well:
    rch_06.jpg

Sparth also does this really really well:
    sparth_ship_concept.jpg

Wassermelone on