As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NBA: AI and AI, this time with feeling.

BergyBergy Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
NBA Season kicks off October 27th, 2009.

Cavs vs. Celtics 7:30 ET TNT
Lakers vs. Clippers 10:30 ET TNT

Yahoo Fantasy League
http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/dnd

Help MrBlarney's "wisdom of the crowds" league prediction graduate study out, more information and link here

ChicagoBulls01.jpg
I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
Bergy on

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Old and busted free agents with maybe the weakest on paper draft class in twenty years.

I see this thread hopping until November.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck, I was in the middle of making a thread.

Here's the plan:

Every year we have a NBA fantasy league, and we do a live online draft. Problem is, 3-5 people don't show up for the draft, and get a mediocre team autopicked for them. So, this year, we are starting really early.

What we're going to do is draft on the forum. People are going to sign up, in this thread, in lime. When we've got a good number of people signed up (aiming for 14), I'll throw everyone's names in a hat. I'll pick them out, and that will be our draft order. Then, you'll make your picks right here on the forum. You can provide us with your rationale, a funny picture of the player, or whatever. It'll be fun. I'll then take our draft results and enter it into the continuation of our Yahoo league from the last couple years. Stats, positions, and roster sizes will remain the same as they have been, as follows:
    Roster Positions: PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, Util, BN, BN, BN
    Players Stat Categories: Field Goal Percentage (FG%), Free Throw Percentage (FT%), 3-point Shots Made (3PTM), Points Scored (PTS), Offensive Rebounds (OREB), Defensive Rebounds (DREB), Assists (AST), Steals (ST), Blocked Shots (BLK), Turnovers (TO)
    This way, everyone will have a chance to pick all their players. We'll have something like a 12 hour time limit in which to make your pick, and if you don't pick we'll move on to the next guy and you can pick whenever you show back up. Proxy picks are of course allowed. Starting early will give us the added bonus of not letting people rely on cheatsheets and draft guides. So sign on up!

Also talk about the NBA in general here.

List of players:
    1. dots
    2. Bergy
    3. dlinfiniti
    4. Frosteey
    5. Picardathon
    6. sportzboytjw
    7. clownfood
    8. BubbaT
    9. Cauld
    10. TheBigEasy
    11. fortis
    12. Dyscord
    13. Phonehand
    14. Killjoy

Thoughts?

deadonthestreet on
  • BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    word.

Basically, if Yao is done this is really going to hurt the NBA's bottom line. They are getting big revenue dollars from China. Its bad news.

I love Yao, he is a great player and a great person. Its a shame that he is hit with the big man injury plague. Its just all that stress on his feet and knees. Maybe they're just putting out worst case scenario news, but I really wouldn't doubt this being true.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sp00ns are totally in it again
    this time we'll dominate harder

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Old and busted free agents with maybe the weakest on paper draft class in twenty years.

The Hedo Turkoglu and Utah Jazz situations should be interesting enough. Ron Artest will probably get wildly overpaid. Ricky Rubio is going to break my heart. Yi Jianlian will exist. There's already been a decent amount of trades, and there are rumors for the Amares and Rajons of the world. It should be interesting enough.

Draft idea sounds fun!

I was really terrible when I did it last time, though : (

Frosteey on
    edited June 2009
    are trading picks allowed?
    like say i want a juicy hamburger for my 4th pick?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited June 2009
    Everyone has to end up with the same number of picks so I don't see how trading would really work out.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2009
    well we would trade picks too like 4th round for 9th round and a hamburger or something (or something more interesting would be X# of fantasy points at the end of the season)

Thats actually kinda interesting to think about. I mean you'd basically be weighing out how much you think each pick is going to net you in fantasy points and betting trading that for a higher pick or guaranteed points at the end of the season

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

You might be borderline retarded

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited June 2009
    He is mostly right, but the free agents up there can contribute to a team, so I wouldn't say busted. Maybe old.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    edited June 2009
    oh yes well certainly old
    a lot of those guys had a great season though
    and the restricted FAs are all young guys who made a lot of money this year

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited June 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    well we would trade picks too like 4th round for 9th round and a hamburger or something (or something more interesting would be X# of fantasy points at the end of the season)

Thats actually kinda interesting to think about. I mean you'd basically be weighing out how much you think each pick is going to net you in fantasy points and betting trading that for a higher pick or guaranteed points at the end of the season
    That won't work with the playoff system, unfortunately. The commish doesn't have the power to change your record, and we have the top 6 going into the playoffs. If it was straight roto, that'd work, but roto doesn't work great in hoops.

deadonthestreet on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd be interested in joining, but I remember either doing a PA league or a Yahoo public league 2 years back and sucking really bad.
    So, I'll join, but feel free to reject me if you mind having a bottomfeeder. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to do some research.

Picardathon on
  • ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow Charlie Villanueva probably going to the Cavs. Damn, that would be awesome. How much pressure would this put on the Magic to resign Hedo now? I'm wondering if the Magic think of it as a swap of Vince for Hedo, or if they really are gonna try keep both.

Profs on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love basketball and fantasy sports. Can I combine these two joys?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    edit: whoops

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In as well.

The Clowns look forward to winning again this year.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
    edited June 2009
    Profs wrote: »
    Wow Charlie Villanueva probably going to the Cavs. Damn, that would be awesome. How much pressure would this put on the Magic to resign Hedo now? I'm wondering if the Magic think of it as a swap of Vince for Hedo, or if they really are gonna try keep both.

Lebron + Shaq + Villanueva = Hella offense

Defense is lacking from shaq and v though.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope Rasheed Wallace goes to the Spurs.

Frosteey on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In like (Johnny) Flynn.

Geez, Milwaukee is dumb. All they had to do was send Villanueva a $4 million qualifying offer, and they could have controlled where he went and possibly even gotten something back in a sign and trade. Worst case they don't match and let him go for nothing. By not sending the QO they guarantee he leaves for nothing.

Also, Andre Miller is a UFA.

And this draft class is 100x times better on paper than 2001, aka the Kwame-Chandler-Curry draft. Unless the paper you're reading is a printout of those clowns at NBAdraft.net - the same folks who said Kwame=Garnett and Deshawn Stevenson=Jordan.

If it was straight roto, that'd work, but roto doesn't work great in hoops.

Roto works good in hoops. It's just boring, is all.

BubbaT on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd like to try fantasy bball again, so I'll be In it to win it. Do people still say that?

Cauld on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    ]

Geez, Milwaukee is dumb.

It really would have been amusing if Bill Simmons had somehow conned his way into their GM position.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
    edited June 2009
    We are filling up faster than expected. May have to go to 16 teams.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2009
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I hope Rasheed Wallace goes to the Spurs.

This would either work really, really well or be really, really bad. No space in between.

Picardathon on
    edited June 2009
    Bergy wrote: »
    Profs wrote: »

Lebron + Shaq + Villanueva = Hella offense

Defense is lacking from shaq and v though.

Shaq can stand under the basket and keep people from dunking with his weight. That pretty much destroys the Magic right there.

Picardathon on
    edited June 2009
    We are filling up faster than expected. May have to go to 16 teams.

why?
    i mean its a foregone conclusion anyway
    i guess people just want to have the opportunity to tell their grand children that they once got beaten by the sp00ns in fantasy basketball

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Michael Curry fired from Pistons. Didn't Dumars say they were gonna keep him at the end of the regular season? Guess not.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited June 2009
    Why would you fire a coach now? Wouldn't you fire them at the end of the season so you can get the new coach in before the draft, so the new coach can make sure that the guy you draft fits his system?

I'm starting to question whether Dumars was ever all that smart to begin with. The Sheed trade was a no-brainer, they only gave up Bob Sura for him, but there's been a lot of head-scratching moves:
    - the timing of this firing
    - drafting Austin Daye
    - the Billups/Iverson trade
    - DARKO

BubbaT on
    edited June 2009
    Apparently local Utah radio is reporting that Boozer has not opted out of his contract, and will remain with the Jazz next season.

Will be interesting to see how Utah plays this now with Okur opting out, and Millsapp restricted. Millsapp's the youngest and best defender of the 3, but he's also the only one who can't play C.

BubbaT on
    edited June 2009
    Boozer can't really play C either. He's like 6'8"

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2009

But he has played C before. At least enough to make him C-eligible in fantasy basketball. I remember a couple years ago at times they would put Boozer at C and either AK or Harpring at PF and go small.

BubbaT on
    edited June 2009
    Koufos showed a great deal of promise on both ends of the floor last season and I was surprised by his lack of playing time down the stretch especially with injuries to Boozer and Okur. Anyway I hope to see more of him this year. Shame about Boozer though.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited June 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

But he has played C before. At least enough to make him C-eligible in fantasy basketball. I remember a couple years ago at times they would put Boozer at C and either AK or Harpring at PF and go small.

In the event that they keep both Boozer and Millsap, he will play backup center just to spread minutes.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Koufos showed a great deal of promise on both ends of the floor last season and I was surprised by his lack of playing time down the stretch especially with injuries to Boozer and Okur. Anyway I hope to see more of him this year. Shame about Boozer though.

I thought Koufos played well too.

I find it funny that Boozer screwed Cleveland by leaving, and now appears to be screwing Utah by staying.

BubbaT on
    edited June 2009
    Well, Okur opts in. So there is that.

Meanwhile Varejao opts out of Cleveland.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2009
    So Utah is paying the luxury tax for one year. I don't have a problem with that. And Boozer will get traded. He is too valuable now.

Also, BREAKING NEWS from ESPN: KOBE BRYANT STAYS WITH THE LAKERS

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Eddie House staying with the C's

deadonthestreet on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It looks like everybody is just going to sit and wait for 2010, when teams have more cash and are willing to spend it.

The Nets are definitely the LeBron front-runners. They're the only team with any kind of talent that could afford him, and they have Jay-Z.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
    edited July 2009
    What talent? They are going to finish last in the Atlantic next season.

deadonthestreet on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They're more talented than the Knicks, who are looking like the only other team that could afford Bosh + LeBron. Devin Harris is an All-Star who will be better next year, and Courtney Lee and Brook Lopez are solid. The Knicks have no one anywhere near Harris' talent.

Who knows, there might be a swarm of teams at the trade deadline next year who dump salary to chase LeBron (especially if the Cavs aren't playing well). But right now, among teams that can afford him in the summer of 2010, the Nets look like the best contender.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
This discussion has been closed.