As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is my Router dying?

TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
I have a Linksys WRT54G v5 that's about 3 years old.

Yesterday, the wireless slowed to a crawl. No matter what the device was (laptops, 360, ipod touch) anything involving the wireless network was impossibly slow. Pages open slower than a 56K connection, streaming to the 360 is impossible, moving a 4MB file across the network took like 30 minutes.

The desktop computer that's wired into the router is completely fine, blazing fast, etc.

I've tried power cycling it, restoring defaults, upgrading the firmware. None of it changed a thing.

So am I boned? New router time?

HillisSig2.jpg
TheFid2 on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    I replaced it with a WRT110

Same problem. Ethernet is fine, but anything wireless takes forever

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe you're getting interference from something. Put DD-WRT on your old router and run a scan (I think it's called a site survey or something) and post the results.

corky842 on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You could also investigate the wireless device that is having the problem, as it is clearly not the router that is the problem.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    that's the thing, it's not just one device. There are 3 laptops, an ipod touch, PS3 and 360 all using wireless

I don't know a lot about custom firmwares. guess I'll look into that

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bought a new electrical device recently, which is placed between the router and the other devices?
    A (cell)phone, microwave, whatever?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had a problem similar to this with my parents' 2wire Home Gateway. After researching it, I found out something was getting lost in translation when my computer would query the Gateway for DNS servers. Solution? I found AT&T's DNS servers and entered them manually. Fixed everything right up.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe you need to change the frequency the wireless is transmitting on. You could be getting interference from neighbors' wireless networks.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I looked for a way to change the frequency on the WRT110 and couldn't find it. Anyone have one of these?

We haven't bought anything electronic lately, but I live in a college town with tons of other apartments nearby

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    I looked for a way to change the frequency on the WRT110 and couldn't find it. Anyone have one of these?

We haven't bought anything electronic lately, but I live in a college town with tons of other apartments nearby

It's called the channel in the wireless settings. Defaults to 6 usually.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I fixed it

Went in and decreased the values for Beacon Interval, Fragmentation Threshold, and RTS Threshold. Worked instantly

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    TheFid2 wrote: »

It's called the channel in the wireless settings. Defaults to 6 usually.
    Yes the channel, sorry I worded it wrong. Glad you fixed your issue though!

MarvellousM on