As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Worms 2: Armageddon (out now on XBLA)

RamiRami Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
139676353c2d8d07a12o.gif2

Sequel to the best Worms ever! Finally an up to date release of Worms that hasn't been gutted of features/weapons. Also has new customisation options such as hats and victory dance (although flags/fanfares are gone :() Almost all of the old weapons have made it in and there are a couple of new ones too. Sadly the Xbox version does not include custom mapping and team sizes are restricted to a maximum of 4.

WA2 has ranked games in a few different categories (normal, forts, pro etc) and uses the Trueskill matchmaking system. Non-ranked custom games are also available.

If you want to play with PAers on Xbox Live then add the proxy gamertag PAWorms2

For PC players I'm sure there will be a Steam group or something when the time comes.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
sig.gif
Rami on

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The team size being limited to 4 is a little disheartening (was like that in the original XBLA Worms too), but it won't stop me from gettin' all up ins.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    real pros had it on PS1 and that had 4 worms per team so hush

I just bought it and the fact I can make my team wear Tommy helmets and thrust is already making it a worthy purchase

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also the Movie Trailer sounds are so awesome. "He just wanted to be left alone." I need to get hone from work now to play more!

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nice to see this game is still full of bullshit though. Second ranked game, open air island.

3 of my guys start on one side at the edge by the water, 3 of his start on top of the island in complete safety. He one hit kills a worm of mine in his first two turns since all he has to do is nudge them off the edge. Somehow I still won...he got confused at one point and marked one of his own worms (with the highest health) for a homing missile and knocked him in the water, allowing me to make a comeback.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So this is pretty good, I've been playing it for an hour now. It's definitely Worms, and it has a lot of the old weapons.

rayofash on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Picked mine up this am. Can't play right now, but I'll add the PA gamertag and be up for some fun tonight.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    For PC players I'm sure there will be a Steam group or something when the time comes.

That time being 1999 or so.

People who are new to the series are (as always) in for a treat, but I'm beyond sad that it's 2009 and we're still getting ports of W:A, which itself was barely an upgrade of W2.

Are they going to put out WormsWorldParty next year? With the.. jackpot spinny thing before every round? That'll be worth 10 more bucks.

Hockey Johnston on
    edited July 2009
    It's a good enough game that I'd pay $10 to have it run perfectly on modern machines. Plus the community will be revived.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yeahhhhhhhh. I probably am going to get this. Worms fuckin rules.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The physics on the mine is really screwed up sometimes.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The physics on the mine is really screwed up sometimes.

It allows for some pretty hilarious moments.

rayofash on
    edited July 2009
    Okay, game is as awesome as I had hoped, but the Marketplace is fucked up for me and won't let me buy the full game. Is this blocked for anyone else?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've been having trouble for the past few days, i cant download any of my previously purchased live games without paying again.... if it keeps up much longer imma have to call... :/

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
    edited July 2009
    From what I've been reading around the problems with Live are pretty widespread. Mine downloaded alright even though I did get an error.

I'm currently at mission 25 in the campaign. I'm having fun, though it's a bitch getting used to the controller after all those years on the keyboard. If the d-pad weren't complete ass on the 360 I'd also be able to do a bit better.

Edit: What the hell... the game isn't letting me drop things while on the rope anymore. What gives? My worm is dropping off with whatever item now.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Edit: What the hell... the game isn't letting me drop things while on the rope anymore. What gives? My worm is dropping off with whatever item now.

When the rope/jetpack/parachute is out, press X to drop the item, B to select an item, and A to cancel the rope/jetpack/parachute... maybe that is the problem.

Great game so far, funny stuff always seems to be happening. A word of warning though. I bought landscape #6 (Snowy) from the shop, and anytime I try to switch to it when I'm making a game, it freezes up.

Ratsult2 on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Booo I don't have the money to pay for this right now boooo

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited July 2009
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

When the rope/jetpack/parachute is out, press X to drop the item, B to select an item, and A to cancel the rope/jetpack/parachute... maybe that is the problem.

Great game so far, funny stuff always seems to be happening. A word of warning though. I bought landscape #6 (Snowy) from the shop, and anytime I try to switch to it when I'm making a game, it freezes up.

No, that's not the problem. I've been doing this just fine for a long time. You press X to drop the item, I know. But now for some reason my worm is falling off WITH the item whenever I push it. It just started in the middle of this match, too, and I can't figure out why. I restarted the game and it's still doing that.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

No, that's not the problem. I've been doing this just fine for a long time. You press X to drop the item, I know. But now for some reason my worm is falling off WITH the item whenever I push it. It just started in the middle of this match, too, and I can't figure out why. I restarted the game and it's still doing that.

Ahh, I have no idea then. I haven't seen a game option where you can't drop stuff (there is an artilery mode though). Also, my snowy landscape seems to be working now. I think you just have to wait for the scanner things to make a board before switching. Hopefully it will get a patch. D:

Ratsult2 on
    edited July 2009

Ahh, I have no idea then. I haven't seen a game option where you can't drop stuff (there is an artilery mode though). Also, my snowy landscape seems to be working now. I think you just have to wait for the scanner things to make a board before switching. Hopefully it will get a patch. D:

Well this is weird. It seems like I can only NOT drop things while on the rope during mission 25. I just went into a quick game and it was working fine. In mission 25, however, it won't let me drop anything from the rope. WTF?

Edit: It WILL let me drop things from the jetpack though... wacky.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We need some PC love.

Edith Upwards on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is totally awesome and more people need to play it already.
    And I was totally about to make a Game On thread right before I saw this one.

Rizzi on
    edited July 2009
    My bet is that the PC version'll have flags/fanfares/soundbanks.

Now, what I want to know is if BattyRopes'll be enabled.

Edith Upwards on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    We need some PC love.

But the PC version still gets patched, and has a ton of people playing it still.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited July 2009
    KingMole wrote: »
    We need some PC love.

But the PC version still gets patched, and has a ton of people playing it still.

In this thread I mean.

Edith Upwards on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm so buying this when I have a few spare $ which will be friday.

Viscountalpha on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KingMole wrote: »
    We need some PC love.

But it doesn't run properly on the most recent version(s) of Windows. On 7, the colors in WA are messed up if Explorer.exe is running, which it usually is.

I'll be buying W2A on PC to have a Worms game that will run without problems.

Peewi on
    edited July 2009
    Got it to unlock after a few tries last night, and the game is glorious. Still doesn't top the original armageddon in my eyes, but it looks great and lets me get as close to it as I can nowadays (no pc to run my old version on). I had a few Live hiccups while playing, but had a few matches with a friend and it translated right back to my college days.

Only thing is that the ninja rope handles weird with an analog stick versus kb&m, but that was expected. As soon as I was able to ninja-rope over two mountains to drop a holy hand grenade on my buddy and rappel ou right before it exploded, my purchase was justified. Though having to unlock the more powerful weapons is kind of ass.

Lunker on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How many times are they going to make me buy a Worms game? I bought the first XBLA game when it came out, then I bought the PSN version as it came with more weapons and now, no doubt, I'll end up buying this one because it looks even better.

I could stop being a consumer whore but that's not likely to happen any time soon

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited July 2009
    I might dig out my old copy of Worms Armageddon for the pc too. Hopefully I can still find it.. D:

Rizzi on
    edited July 2009
    The 5 unlockable campaign missions are pretty tough. I've done 2, 4 and 5 and I know how to do 3 but I just can't execute the final part.

I find the first one the hardest, I can kill a few with the air strike and donkey but there's still 3 or 4 I have to kill with normal weapons which is kind of hard when you only have one guy and they make 100% perfectly accurate shots every turn.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    The 5 unlockable campaign missions are pretty tough. I've done 2, 4 and 5 and I know how to do 3 but I just can't execute the final part.

I find the first one the hardest, I can kill a few with the air strike and donkey but there's still 3 or 4 I have to kill with normal weapons which is kind of hard when you only have one guy and they make 100% perfectly accurate shots every turn.

The way I beat mission one was to start off the first turn running all the way to the right, picking up the health pack, then torching my way through to the donkey crate. Second turn I'd torch straight up to the right and break through to the top. After that, I'd use the donkey on the nearest three opponents and homing rocket on the farthest two when they're bunched up together, then just kill the rest with rockets/grenades.

Squirrel Rancher on
    edited July 2009
    I pretty much do the same except I go left first and get the air strike, then tunnel/girder my way through the bottm of the map to get the donkey. I've never been able to get 3 with the donkey cause they aren't standing close enough.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Honestly, between this, Magic, and battlefield next week, i cant believe the money i'm dropping on arcade titles again...

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I never bothered with the air strike crate. It just means more turns out in the open where you'll take damage. And, if you're patient and get the five kills with donkey and homing rocket you only have three guys left to kill, so the air strike isn't all too useful.

To get the three kills with the donkey I just wait for them to take a turn and hope that they bunch up together.

Squirrel Rancher on
    edited July 2009
    Argh. I cannot find my old copy of Armageddon for pc.
    I'm a rather large fan of the Worms series.. Something so delightful about blowing the cute little buggers up.

Rizzi on
    edited July 2009
    So, is the Shoppa gametype in WA2?

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2009
    There is one called crazy crates but I haven't tried it. You can make your own setups though so no big deal.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2009
    Maybe it's the timezone but I can't believe how few people are playing this.

edit: fuck this shit, people just drop as soon as I win a ranked game and the stupid game just dumps straight back to menu making th game invalid.

I'm really enjoying my played 5 won 5 record (actual display: played 0 won 0)

Oh sweet I just got a message from the guy 'how lucky can u get last game ever turn u had u gt atleast 2heals'.

Yeah, firstly it's crazy crates. We both get 3 drops every turn. Second, I won because I 1 hit killed all his guys by knocking them into the water (and he was the guy moving them next to it).

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I might dig out my old copy of Worms Armageddon for the pc too. Hopefully I can still find it.. D:

Yeah, same here.

I want to start up a Game ON(WAPC) SHOPPA/FORT247.

Eight Player, two worm fort sound good?

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2009
    I couldn't find it.
    I did manage to find half (!) of my Worms 2 disk though.
    Which is kinda depressing.

Rizzi on