As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 software Backwards compatibility patent filed

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cutting costs is not generally viewed as a horrible thing. Stock holders don't run to divest when they hear that a company is working on cutting costs.

Evander on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here is the actual quote from the WSJ article
    There's a catch to the lower price: The new $399 PlayStation model will not play games designed for the PlayStation 2, Sony's popular older game console. Mr. Tretton conceded that removing that capability, along with a few other features, isn't dramatically reducing Sony's cost of manufacturing the console but will instead encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system.

Mr. Tretton said the company's research showed that compatibility with PlayStation 2 games isn't likely to be missed by customers, who most likely already own the older system.

Now to me it looks like typical PR bullshit, but the way I read it is "Yeah we realize it isn't a huge cost reduction but it helps, and hey it might move some more ps3 software as well".

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm really wondering how that "research" of theirs was conducted.

Because I know many, many people that have not bought a PS3 yet and their main reason was the lack of BC.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited July 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Here is the actual quote from the WSJ article
    There's a catch to the lower price: The new $399 PlayStation model will not play games designed for the PlayStation 2, Sony's popular older game console. Mr. Tretton conceded that removing that capability, along with a few other features, isn't dramatically reducing Sony's cost of manufacturing the console but will instead encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system.

Mr. Tretton said the company's research showed that compatibility with PlayStation 2 games isn't likely to be missed by customers, who most likely already own the older system.

Now to me it looks like typical PR bullshit, but the way I read it is "Yeah we realize it isn't a huge cost reduction but it helps, and hey it might move some more ps3 software as well".

Do you have the link to the article for that?

Because I remember a slightly different quote, but I can't find the direct WSJ link right now, for some reason.

Evander on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmm I don't know how I got to the article. I found it on my work computer which I don't have access to right now. If I try the same search here at home it seems to require a subscription. I won't be back in that office till Monday I'm afraid. The trouble with that quote, is its not really a quote. Everyone just paraphrases, but I'm pretty sure the "story" originaly came from the Wall Street Journal.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Because I know many, many people that have not bought a PS3 yet and their main reason was the lack of BC.

Considering that the PS2 is still the most played system in terms of total minutes according to NPD(?), it is asinine to think people will won't miss it. Getting rid of it also gives less incentive to "upgrade" to PS3 as it puts the PS3/360/Wii on even grounds since all 3 won't play their backlog. That's why I think they might look to put it back in as the system gets cheaper.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ummm, I'm pretty sure the Wii could play gamecube games.

Not to mention the virtual console.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited July 2009
    And the PS3 can play PS1 games.

UnbreakableVow on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »

I'm not saying they're on equal grounds in terms of BC, I'm saying they're on equal grounds in terms of the ability to play PS2 games. I'm talking about people upgrading from a PS2 (which a large number of people have yet to do.)

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited July 2009
    Huh, alright.

I can't be the only person who kept my PS2 while upgrading though.

Antihippy on
    edited July 2009
    I kept my PS2.

I'm just not keeping a spare SDTV around.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Virtual Console is not backwards compatibility, nor is buying PS1 games off the PSN. Putting GC discs into a Wii IS, as is putting PS1 discs into a PS3.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've never owned a PS2, so if the PS3 gets software BC patched in, I suddenly get a $100 console for free and my console's library expands by about 2000 titles. I may finally get to play MGS3, the Clover Studio games, Team Ico games and a bunch of other stuff.

Oh God, please let this happen.

Muddy Water on
    edited July 2009
    I just really want to play Persona 3/4.

UnbreakableVow on
  • D00MD00M Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Won't even entertain the thought of buying a PS3 without full BC.

And Microsoft is a arse for not letting me play BC Tenchu: Return From Darkness (with Xbox only features!) and Taito Legends D:

D00M on
    D00M66.png
    edited July 2009
    I've never owned a PS2, so if the PS3 gets software BC patched in, I suddenly get a $100 console for free and my console's library expands by about 2000 titles. I may finally get to play MGS3, the Clover Studio games, Team Ico games and a bunch of other stuff.

2000 titles where most of them are shovelware. :P

The PS2 has alot of great games, but also alot of shovelware.

I do hope that if they do it they'll also make it region free, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. :(

Antihippy on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

2000 titles where most of them are shovelware. :P

The PS2 has alot of great games, but also alot of shovelware.

I do hope that if they do it they'll also make it region free, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. :(

I only care for 5 or 10 titles, actually. But oh, I care so much.

Muddy Water on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Honestly, when you have BC, and all these new games come out, you really start to not care. When you have games coming out almost monthly, you really lose time to go back and play PS2 games. I have over 20 PS3 games now, some of which I've only played 10% of, I just don't have time to play them all. It was nice to pop in GoW2 when it came out, but after that, my focus has been mostly been towards PS3 games.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't want everyone to not have BC, but IMHO skipping out on buying a PS3, because it doesn't have BC is pretty silly.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have my PS2 hooked up with component cables and think the picture looks fantastic, personally - more games with 480p would be nice, but at least we got a few here in PAL land, as opposed to the Gamecube which had none

Being able to sell my PS2 and carry on playing all my games upscaled would be enough to make me upgrade though, so I hope it's true. The 360 makes Xbox games look tasty.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2009
    Rakai wrote: »

Considering that the PS2 is still the most played system in terms of total minutes according to NPD(?), it is asinine to think people will won't miss it. Getting rid of it also gives less incentive to "upgrade" to PS3 as it puts the PS3/360/Wii on even grounds since all 3 won't play their backlog. That's why I think they might look to put it back in as the system gets cheaper.

NPD is putting chips in your machines to see how long you play?

Evander on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »

No Neilsen is. Well I think they use a wall socket thingy to measure usage.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Windowlicker77Windowlicker77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    According to the Playstation Lifestyle website (can't get the link I'm at work now) they quote another European site in saying a Sony employee said BC is "weeks" away. So this is almost as reliable as news from your Grandmothers best friend cousin. Maybe it's true but who knows.

Windowlicker77 on
    edited July 2009

No Neilsen is. Well I think they use a wall socket thingy to measure usage.

that would be incredibly inaccurate, for a wide variety of reasons.

Evander on
    edited July 2009
    According to the Playstation Lifestyle website (can't get the link I'm at work now) they quote another European site in saying a Sony employee said BC is "weeks" away. So this is almost as reliable as news from your Grandmothers best friend cousin. Maybe it's true but who knows.

PlayStation Lifestyle...where did this site come from?

They were the ones who leaked the (eventually proven real) video of The Last Guardian.

UnbreakableVow on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

They were the ones who leaked the (eventually proven real) video of The Last Guardian.

This article? I just saw that. While I really, really doubt it (Sony's had trouble containing leaks on mere games. Something like full BC through a firmware update isn't something they could keep a lid on), it's arrival would be a massive 'oh shit' for everyone.

-Loki- on
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

This article? I just saw that. While I really, really doubt it (Sony's had trouble containing leaks on mere games. Something like full BC through a firmware update isn't something they could keep a lid on), it's arrival would be a massive 'oh shit' for everyone.

Just hope they do a better job of Emulated BC that MS. Not that it matters for me but I kinda feel sorry for my friends on newer models.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Even though I already have a 60 gig I'd really like to see Sony go through with it and release full BC for all models on software. I know I have 2 friends that'd be really happy with it, and it'd put me at ease (right now I'm worried if my PS3 right now ever dies then I don't get any more BC...)

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heh.

This wont help me on my japanese machine. It doesn't understand pal at all.

ENRISHU JIBBERISHDESU
    it cries.

INSANE MOONSPEAK! the discs reply!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know my PS2 would go in the cupboard, and I'd finally play some of my PS2 games I recently bought out of desire to actually own them (Psyconauts, God of War 1 and 2, Shadow of the Colossus, and still looking for Okami and Ico) since I wouldn't have to swap around cables and use wired controllers that everyone trips over, ripping my PS2 off it's perch.

-Loki- on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hope this software can play games from other regions. I have a Rockman Dash 2 disc I can't play because I don't even have a PS1. It was way cheaper than the American version.

RockinX on
    edited July 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    I hope this software can play games from other regions. I have a Rockman Dash 2 disc I can't play because I don't even have a PS1. It was way cheaper than the American version.

I sincerely doubt it, unless it's on a case by case basis

regional licensing stuff and all, you know

Evander on
    edited July 2009

But if PS3 games are region free, why shouldn't past consoles' games?

RockinX on
    edited July 2009

All PS3 games run on all PS3's (I think this is also because they run over HDMI which is a universal standard?). From what I remember, PS2 games wouldn't run on PS2's not from that region, and PS2 games will not play on a BC PS3 (currently) not from that region. So, a Japanese PS2 game doesn't run on an American BC PS3, even though a Japanese PS3 game will. I may be wrong though.

-Loki- on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No, you're right. PS3's are region free, but only for PS3 games. PS1/2 games won't work.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, my reasoning is that PSOne/2 games should work regardless of their region if PS3 games work in any PS3 of any region. I never stated that they worked.

RockinX on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Basically.

Lawyers.

(And law)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited July 2009
    Why doesn't the law include PS3 games as well then?

RockinX on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For the most part it's an issue with PAL & NTSC. PAL PS3s can play both PAL & NTSC while NTSC PS3's can only play NTSC.

Dark Shroud on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

All PS3 games run on all PS3's (I think this is also because they run over HDMI which is a universal standard?). From what I remember, PS2 games wouldn't run on PS2's not from that region, and PS2 games will not play on a BC PS3 (currently) not from that region. So, a Japanese PS2 game doesn't run on an American BC PS3, even though a Japanese PS3 game will. I may be wrong though.

Well yeah that was true with PAL and NTSC. The thing is both Japan and the US used NTSC and Japanese games were still a different region than the US.

Edit: Dark Shroud beat me to it.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    It's a lot harder to change an existing law than craft new ones with a new ip.

Ie to make em region free you have to go to all the companies, many of whom may not exist, and individually deal with all that.

It's a huge amount of work and they have to go through every step with every company that made the games. And sometimes there would be different companies for different regions. They can't just wave their hands and say "annulled regions".

Whereas for ps3 they said straight out before it came out that the old rules wont apply.

It was facilitated by technology allowing it, but that's what happened.

Morninglord on