Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Refurbished Computers

KatholicKatholic Registered User
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Does anyone have any experiences buying one? I am looking for a very speedy machine on the cheap. Are they reliable? What site is the best to get one? Can I get one with a warranty?

Thanks for the recommendations.

Katholic on
Shinto wrote: »
I don't think states rights is a political dodge for Paul. The dude just legitimately wants the federal government to die.
Azio wrote: »
What the fuck is this. Go away.

Posts

  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Katholic wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experiences buying one? I am looking for a very speedy machine on the cheap. Are they reliable? What site is the best to get one? Can I get one with a warranty?

    Thanks for the recommendations.

    The answers to your questions differ depending on from where you purchase. Usually, there is a very limited warranty. Sometimes, companies give full warranties on their refurbished computers.

    Dell adds refurbished computers to this site all the time.

    From what I've seen though, you never really save a whole lot buying refurbs. I would just buy new, because that piece of mind is worth the extra cost to me.

    If you're thinking that buying refurb will get you a powerful laptop at 50-75% of the cost of a new one, you're going to be disappointed.

    daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • KatholicKatholic Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Katholic wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experiences buying one? I am looking for a very speedy machine on the cheap. Are they reliable? What site is the best to get one? Can I get one with a warranty?

    Thanks for the recommendations.

    The answers to your questions differ depending on from where you purchase. Usually, there is a very limited warranty. Sometimes, companies give full warranties on their refurbished computers.

    Dell adds refurbished computers to this site all the time.

    From what I've seen though, you never really save a whole lot buying refurbs. I would just buy new, because that piece of mind is worth the extra cost to me.

    If you're thinking that buying refurb will get you a powerful laptop at 50-75% of the cost of a new one, you're going to be disappointed.
    I am looking for a desktop and I am in the continental United States.

    Shinto wrote: »
    I don't think states rights is a political dodge for Paul. The dude just legitimately wants the federal government to die.
    Azio wrote: »
    What the fuck is this. Go away.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You're really not going to find high-end PCs on the cheap as refurbs. Most people who drop that much money into their machine initially configure it to be upgradeable for a while, and then cannibalize it for parts once they actually buy another computer. Your best bet would be like Figgy said, the official Dell refurb/return site, since you'll see the occasional higher-end XPS system show up on there with a few hundred $$$ knocked off the price.

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • theclamtheclam Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Fast desktop on the cheap = self-build.

    rez_guy.png
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought an open-box computer from Newegg. It worked out pretty well.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Geeks.com sells refurbs (and de-branded models, or white box models)

    You typically get 90-day manufacturer warranty, and then you're on your own.

    Refurbs tend to be a good deal if you like your OS to be of the Windows, and of the Legal variety, since they're almost always pre-installed, so you don't have to shell out money for the OS as you would in a hand-built.

  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User
    edited July 2009
    theclam wrote: »
    Fast desktop on the cheap = self-build.

    This. Unlike sifting through refurbs, you can get a nice powerful machine for 50-75% of the "retail box" cost - and then you'll also have the advantage of knowing how to mix most common maladies if/when the thing breaks.

    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got a refurb Thinkpad a few years ago for dirt cheap with a two year manufacturer warranty.

    It recently died with a failed motherboard (a year and a bit out of warranty).

    Take that as you will.

  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    All of the people suggesting you build your own have the right idea. Have you ever built a computer, Katholic? If not, do you have any friends who have? Not only will you get the satisfaction of building something awesome, you'll know how to replace hardware if it starts to become a problem in the future, which, at some point in time, it will.

    sig.gif
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Agree.

    Refurbs aren't worth the savings if you know how to build one yourself. Most of the money you pay for a pre-packaged computer is for the software junk they install on them -- most of which you don't need (and the OS, but you'll probably need to buy that if you're not keeping your old hard drive).

Sign In or Register to comment.