As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Overlord 2: The Seal Cub Clubbing Club (trailer in op, Demo on XBL, PSN and PC)

• KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It nets you an achievement, that much I know for certain.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KingMole wrote: »
    Playing it on the 360. And there is no sensitivity option.
    Hm, I haven't heard anyone having trouble with a controller in that puzzle, but word is you can stake minions on the blocks, just go one at a time.

Kivutar on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is there a reason they messed around with the magic system?
    I can't see why I'm not allowed to select a spell with the d-pad any more. It was a lot more intuitive than the different button combinations.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i'm gonna be totally honest too, i'm not sure i ever remember being this angry with overlord 1 at times.... i still do like this game, but occasionally i just want to pull my fucking hair out.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    klemming wrote: »
    Is there a reason they messed around with the magic system?
    I can't see why I'm not allowed to select a spell with the d-pad any more. It was a lot more intuitive than the different button combinations.

I really don't know. I have to say that the new magic system is probably the only thing that bothers me about Overlord 2.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    rawr, i think i messed up and now i cant get down into the 2nd part of everlight to kill all those dudes...

Zephos on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zephos wrote: »
    rawr, i think i messed up and now i cant get down into the 2nd part of everlight to kill all those dudes...

If you mean the town, you won't be albe to reach there until you have your third mistress.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The speed he moved at wouldnt be a problem if backtracking and crossing large areas to figure out what to do weren't the order of the day. He doesn't necessarily need to jump, just be able to fall off obvious low walls.

Plus I never felt like I was building an empire or even had a reasont o really hunt down the main villain, I mean theres only two places to conquer and to conquer them takes more effort than its worth. Im still 2 short in Nordberg, cant find them, am done slow running around to find them.

I bet I know the two you're missing, because I was missing two there for the longest time too. Go to the corner of the city that has the ballista on the wall. Follow the back path around (you have to knock down some fences) and follow it around (you'll probably remember this as the starting area as the witch boy) there's a single house on a hill up there that has two people in it.

Also, I agree that I didn't feel like I was conquering anything. What would have made the game a LOT stronger was if the places you conquered looked corrupted and twisted, and that if there were dozens more side quests to do to go back to those twisted places. Even the overmap in dungeon keeper 2 at least gave an idea that the places you conquered were truly conquered.

It was a fun game, but didn't really address any of the big problems from the first game. The biggest to me being the camera. You can really tell it was designed for console controllers. I've never had to fight a mouse controlled camera in a game as much as I had to in the overlord series.

Dissociater on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    No I got them, I left that area originally because I was sure there was nt anything back there and I wasn't willing to crawlpace around there to double check. I caught everyone who left their house so I dunno if more just appear in there or what but im done with the game, conquering t hose two measly towns isnt worth the effort. Do you even get a unique ending this time around?

DarkWarrior on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I checked out the demo for this game, seems pretty fun and will most likely get it in a week or so. Any big quirks or issues I should know about? (aside from walk speed)

EtherealWalrus on
    edited July 2009
    Be patient... occasionally you'll run into something random that will.... frustrate you.

Zephos on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Walk speed, sequence breaking every 30 minutes (dont know about everyone else but I had more then my fair share of having to leave and area and come back to reset), or second guessing a puzzle becuase you dont know if its broke or not. There are puzzles in which you need to do C instead of the A or B you have been doing for the last 20-30 minutes. Placing a banner where you think the minions will stand, instead they stand off of the button and just on the edge not activating it.I think they meant for all parts of the game to take the same amount of time, but there are parts you can really blaze through and others take forever.

I am still in love but there are some really triffling issues with this one that i dont remember in the last. none of the issues are really rage inducing, but like zephos said, there frustrating at times.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I think this is the price paid for trying to whore it out to every console going.

DarkWarrior on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got really frustrated with the blues level, I trogged through that fucker twice with just the blues and my hellbringer mace and every time I died I had to start over! Fucking awful, and then I read here you can get browns and I totally missed it :P

I think the game is too short though, and there's no reward for going through the trouble of dominating every single person in the towns apart from finishing the objective, I was very disappointed. Also gold isn't abundant enough, I bought a load of cosmetics but never got to enjoy them because the game was short and getting armor and weapons too meant too much grinding.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think this is the price paid for trying to whore it out to every console going.

But that makes no sense. Just because some of the levels are frustrating doesn't have anything to do with all the consoles, it has to do with poor level design on parts of the game.

Ziac45 on
    edited July 2009
    I think the game as a whole suffers from a lack of QA.
    A lot of minor things should have been caught (Like the soundbites from Gnarl that will always get cut off as your use your throne), and surely some playtesters could have told them that some points were horribly unclear/unbalanced.

If this was an FPS or a racer, anything that had significant competition, I'd say to leave it alone, but since there really isn't anything else like this, it's the kind of penalty I'll pay to get to the good stuff.

klemming on
  • TetraTetra The Grumpiest Baby Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So guys, let's talk weapons/armor/spell upgrades. The weapon I've been using the most so far is the warlock (sword that steals mana), but it seems like I'm going to need something else to deal with the final boss. Sure, I'm full on mana all the time, but this hardly helps since most of my spells seem lackluster for this kind of fight. I sort of regret maxing out my halo spell instead of the minion one, since eating minions seems to be the best use of my mana at this point.

So, I've got a couple of choices for other weapons. I just bought the reaper (axe that steals health) which I'll try out later, and have enough dark crystals for one more. Has anyone tried the beastmaster or the apocalyptor (I think? Its the one with the tooltip "unleash hell"). I'm pretty curious as to how those fare.

In other news, I found this game to be, overall, fantastic and just what I was looking for. My only complaint is the sweeping part after the spider, for reasons others have already mentioned.

Tetra on
  • ImperiusImperius __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    The Apocalypter explodes with an AoE when you hit an enemy with it. I'm unsure if it's with every attack or with every 3rd attack because I have't gotten it yet, but with something that expensive, it has to be worth it.

Imperius on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Talking about Overlord 1 - do the weapon types matter? How is it scaled?

For example, I have a steel axe with 40 greens and 10 browns in it. I just got the Durium smelter, and made a Durium axe with 20 greens and 5 browns in it (I need to go farm for minions!).

Which one is stronger?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Imperius wrote: »
    The Apocalypter explodes with an AoE when you hit an enemy with it. I'm unsure if it's with every attack or with every 3rd attack because I have't gotten it yet, but with something that expensive, it has to be worth it.

It explodes in a small AoE on every 3rd hit. It's not bad, but it is incredibly expensive for what it does.

Ziac45 on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You don't need good weapons for the last boss fight imo

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is something supposed to happen after you deal with the Everlight governess? I dominated her and got the quest completed message, and the other chick just stood there on top of the stairs that I can't climb. There's a tower portal behind rocks that I can't break and the big gate at the entrance is still closed. What the ef?

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hope I'm not the only person who thought the
    spider elevator section was a horrible, horrible idea.

Synthesis on
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Irritating, isn't it?
    irritatingscreen073108.png

:winky:

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

The game is currently sitting unplayed until my rage subsides for that.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That part is total bullshit.

Nartwak on
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh come on guys, suck it up. 10 tries should be nothing. A succeful run takes about 2 minutes.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
    edited July 2009
    Rage

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just finished, you can do the final boss (about weapons)(
    without swinging your weapon pretty easily.
    you run in a circle the whole time. put 5 minions on the mob that poops out, send rest on head, run in circle popping boils, drain repeat

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • TetraTetra The Grumpiest Baby Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    Oh come on guys, suck it up. 10 tries should be nothing. A succeful run takes about 2 minutes.

Depends which version you are playing. Word on the street is that the 360 controls are much better than the PC, and from the experience I had on the PC version, I can easily believe this. Took me about 5 hours (and much desk rearranging) to beat it the first time.

Tetra on
    edited July 2009
    Tetra wrote: »
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »

Depends which version you are playing. Word on the street is that the 360 controls are much better than the PC, and from the experience I had on the PC version, I can easily believe this. Took me about 5 hours (and much desk rearranging) to beat it the first time.

It took me all of one try, I missed a button twice on the last stretch but it was really really easy. It controls beautifully on the PC.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited July 2009
    In retrospect, I think it took me about 5 to 10 minutes.

Still fucking hated it though. Every minute of it. But I've gone through worse.

Synthesis on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Boy Im so excited to get to that part...Yeah...

I must say, I was stuck for a little while not too long ago but picked it up this morning before work and figured out where to go and was just loving it. When you know what youre doing this game is fucking amazing, but when you get stuck randomly it really throws the anger around because the first was never like that. Even so, all the better when you find out what to do. It was just goddamn fun. Also, how do you upgrade your Tower? The mistress wants a bed but Im unable to buy anything but those banners and I also think I bought Candles...

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    edited July 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    Also, how do you upgrade your Tower? The mistress wants a bed but Im unable to buy anything but those banners and I also think I bought Candles...
    When you bring Juno into the fold as another mistress, your tower is suddenly cleared of most/all of the debris, and you can purchase more upgrades for both her and Kelda.

Synthesis on
    edited July 2009
    Sevorak wrote: »
    Is something supposed to happen after you deal with the Everlight governess? I dominated her and got the quest completed message, and the other chick just stood there on top of the stairs that I can't climb. There's a tower portal behind rocks that I can't break and the big gate at the entrance is still closed. What the ef?

I think to get past that bit you need to dominate/destroy the Governess, destroy the temple she's standing by (if you have already you'd have noticed as it gives up about 50 lifeforce orbs), and officially occupy the town by marching up to the town hall (up the stairs) and giving up 50 minions (same as you did with Nordburg).

I'd guess it's the temple part you've missed.

klemming on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just finished it and i can only think of two things to say about this game, christ that was short and wtf was up with that last second plot twist, that was just fucking stupid. Rhianna Pratchett didn't inherit her fathers talents it seems.

Also fuck that gnome slaughtering quest, who the fuck is so bored that they're going to actively seek out and murder 1000 of the pointless things when you encounter them in groups of 20 at the max, it's just mindless arbitrary busy work to try to pad the obscenely short game time.

Watching your browns gear up is still the best part of the game, that and going to see how the minion lairs have upgraded after you buy their full upgrades and they expand to fill the entire cavern. Really they just need to make a dungeon keeper style Overlord game where you just have to expand your fortress, improve your minions and defeat the heroes that attempt to raid you. More Evil sim less Evil action.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    klemming wrote: »
    Sevorak wrote: »

I think to get past that bit you need to dominate/destroy the Governess, destroy the temple she's standing by (if you have already you'd have noticed as it gives up about 50 lifeforce orbs), and officially occupy the town by marching up to the town hall (up the stairs) and giving up 50 minions (same as you did with Nordburg).

I'd guess it's the temple part you've missed.

Thanks, I'll have to try destroying the temple when I get home tonight.

Is there any cue saying you have to do that??

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just finished it and i can only think of two things to say about this game, christ that was short and wtf was up with that last second plot twist, that was just fucking stupid. Rhianna Pratchett didn't inherit her fathers talents it seems.

She did seem off her game this time. The writing and themes of Overlord 1 were a lot stronger whereas Overlord 2 was kind of...meaningless. There were no strong overarcing themes amidst the goofiness, just plain old goofiness.

Overlord 2 was still a riot, and I think had overall better gameplay than the first, but the story felt weaker.

I still wouldn't call it bad mind you because Overlord isn't a series that takes itself seriously at all, so the plot twist was keeping entirely within what I'd expect of it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

She did seem off her game this time. The writing and themes of Overlord 1 were a lot stronger whereas Overlord 2 was kind of...meaningless. There were no strong overarcing themes amidst the goofiness, just plain old goofiness.

Overlord 2 was still a riot, and I think had overall better gameplay than the first, but the story felt weaker.

I still wouldn't call it bad mind you because Overlord isn't a series that takes itself seriously at all, so the plot twist was keeping entirely within what I'd expect of it.

I get the feeling that the plot twist would have been built up more in a longer game, as it was it felt like we got the first two acts of the story and totally missed the 3rd, jumping straight into the finale.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Yeah the game is far too short and I think its a poor game because of it, you get your third mistress and ooops! Finale! All of the sidequests (kill gnomes, control towns etc) are completely pointless and have no reward, also as a side effect of being so short you won't be able to get decent gear, buy mistress upgrades and upgrade your minions at the same time so you finish the game unfulfilled unless you grind.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png