As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAA Episode 3

• AstroMacGuffinAstroMacGuffin Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    I've procrastinated signing up to these forums for 6 months now, which is how long I've been dying over PAA 3 not being out yet. Please guys, at least a teaser, a crappy flipbook Youtube video showing planned features. Hell, just mock us for being wrapped around your media empire's pinky fingers, but talk to us about PAA 3 pl000xxxxxx. :)

Seriously though, great games. I bought the first ep as soon as I'd seen the trailer, and the 2nd ep as soon as I finished the first one. Hopefully nobody flames me for saying this, but as a PC buyer on Linux, I would have paid another $5 for each of the first two episodes (then again, I bought them this year so maybe they were discounted from the original price?)

We are hooked. *smacks trackmarks* Moar nao!

AstroMacGuffin on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    At this point I'm thinking Episode 3 is vaporware. Have they even said they're making it? As far as I can tell, all they've said is that Hothead hasn't disintegrated. Okay.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Vaporware? Really? Are you seriously suggesting that without constant, running updates it means the game has been 'cancelled'? And neither Tycho or Gabe would mention such a thing in the newsposts?

How about we see what happens in the next two months up through PAX before playing Chicken Little...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For Episodes 1 and 2, we did get at least occasional updates from Gabe and Tycho with things like, "We're up in Canada working on the script/art/etc."

It has been 9 months since Ep2 came out and almost nothing has been said about the game. I think it's fair to question whether it's still being actively developed.

ASimPerson on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    But calling it vaporware isn't. Hot Head is a small company and they're working on more than just a PAA game that didn't set the world on fire. We cannot get any information except for what they're allowed to say. And all they've said is that 'it's not dead'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Lia ParkerLia Parker __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the long spoken narrator may play a huge part in the story arc, he may be the last boss of the entire arc imo.

Lia Parker on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Vaporware? Really? Are you seriously suggesting that without constant, running updates it means the game has been 'cancelled'? And neither Tycho or Gabe would mention such a thing in the newsposts?

How about we see what happens in the next two months up through PAX before playing Chicken Little...

I never said it was cancelled. At least not yet. I said it's vaporware, which means it may or may not actually be released. I'm suggesting that it's stuck in development limbo.

And maybe I missd it, but where exactly did they ever say they were doing Episode 3 right now? I know they're working on Death Spank and Swarm, and they got a new boss, and HOTHEAD is not dead, but they never said anything about Episode 3 beyond "we have nothing to say about Episode 3." Really? NOBODY can say whether or not it's even being worked on? On the Penny Arcade OR Hothead side?

Let's be real here. The second episode was RELEASED five months after the first episode. It's been NINE months since then, and no one can even say officially whether the game exists or not? That doesn't raise any red flags?

And I will gladly shut the FUCK up as soon as anyone affiliated with the project says at least, "yes, we are still making episode 3."

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    It's a personal affront not to have daily progress updates.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

aahhh no ones complaining about that, people just want some word on a game they're wanting to buy

Xaquin on
  • TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Almost. Just checking in, hope the game is coming out soon:lol:. How's the forum doing? Good? Good. Happy July 4th America!

Teburninator on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Several weeks ago I had the pleasure of dining with the illustrious Robert Khoo in Boston. Among the questions asked of him as he picked our brains about the upcoming PAX-East was whether or not there was any information on episode three of Penny-Arcade Advenutres: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness.

I ask you not to get your hopes up that the new episode will come out anytime soon. They will release a third chapter of the game, but there are a lot of things going on for the gentlemen at the head of the Penny-Arcade Megacorp and very little has begun in the process that will eventually yield a third installment. Once they have something to show, you'll hear about it.

TankHammer on
    edited July 2009
    Several weeks ago I had the pleasure of dining with the illustrious Robert Khoo in Boston. Among the questions asked of him as he picked our brains about the upcoming PAX-East was whether or not there was any information on episode three of Penny-Arcade Advenutres: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness.

I ask you not to get your hopes up that the new episode will come out anytime soon. They will release a third chapter of the game, but there are a lot of things going on for the gentlemen at the head of the Penny-Arcade Megacorp and very little has begun in the process that will eventually yield a third installment. Once they have something to show, you'll hear about it.

I'm going to quote a song to show how I feel about your revelation and I will add my own little changes to fit the topic - see if you can guess what song it is! Un-break my heart Say you'll produce this game asap to me again Undo this hurt you caused

Teburninator on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I guess I'll just replay 1 and get the goddamn immortal trophy I missed the first time :-/

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
    edited July 2009
    It's alright folks.

It ain't gonna be Duke Nukem Forever.

Also, looking back I was retarded for posting that as I hardly know anything aside from what I gleaned from a 2 sentence response.

So disregard most of that post that I am pretty sure I made in an insomniac stupor.

I thought I could be a big man with big, inside information on the internet. For that I have lost much of my good graces with Mr. Khoo.

I have no-idea how things are going on the Hot-Head side and just because Gabe and Tycho have been busy lately with guest comics and D&D podcasts and traveling and moving to a new office and PAX 2009 doesn't mean we won't also see a new episode in a matter of months.

I am going to go back to SE++ where I belong and think about what I've done.

Sincerely,
    [strike]Big[/strike] Man on the Internet

TankHammer on
    edited July 2009
    Well that is good news for me, thanks for sharing that Kantankeris, hope you patch things up with Mr.Khoo. He seems like a good man and will probably do so, just not tell you much of the business side again :lol:

Teburninator on
  • IcedhopeIcedhope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It hasn't but it has..when I talked tot he guys at telltale at comicon last year, they said summer 09, and it's completely bleh. I'm sticking with my theories of the 3 we will have no word of it, until a month before it's release.

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Like I said before, I'm only going to start worrying if we hear nothing at PAX.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm just hoping that the lack of news means that the next episode will be super long and filled with much more content.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited July 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I'm just hoping that the lack of news means that the next episode will be super long and filled with much more content.

That sounds reasonable...

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Like I said before, I'm only going to start worrying if we hear nothing at PAX.

Yeah, same here. Nothing by PAX, then I'll start worrying.

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm already starting to worry. they really need to come out and say if the game is coming or not by now.

Artoria on
  • Owen EdwardsOwen Edwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, if there's no word at all from the guys at PAX, then I'm culling bullshit and marking this down as v-ware. "It'll come, eventually, in several years" is a meaningless response in the context.

Owen Edwards on
    edited July 2009
    Well that could be the case, or they could be taking there sweet time with it just so they get a boom in dl's saying" Look what we did! Who's the king, Hot Head is!" Or there is the other optiong thay they are working on somthing else, and really don't have anything planned for it, other than the writing.

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
  • MistressKanaMistressKana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok, I dunno about any of you, but I give up. Apparently no one cares, so why should I?

I will say though, as a huge PA fan girl, I'm really dissapointed that no one cared enough to give the people who fuel thier whole operation, the fans, any decent sort of response.

MistressKana on
    edited July 2009
    Ok, I dunno about any of you, but I give up. Apparently no one cares, so why should I?

I will say though, as a huge PA fan girl, I'm really dissapointed that no one cared enough to give the people who fuel thier whole operation, the fans, any decent sort of response.

I agree with you Kana but I am too dumb to not just follow aimlessly with their plan. http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=269 I see myself as pea-steve here.

Teburninator on
  • YeahYeahYouWereYeahYeahYouWere Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I agree with Kana - it would be nice to hear something about it. I'm not saying these guys don't have a lot on their plate, but how hard would it be to tack on a "We know people are anxiously awaiting Episode 3, and we want them to know that it will be coming out eventually" into a news post? We don't need a release date or anything, maybe just some assurance that it will actually happen.

Right now, it seems like they should be aware of the growing concern about Episode 3, and it would be a good idea for them to address it. Seriously, a one sentence blurb to calm people down. It seems a reasonable request.

It's also possible they're trying to build up buzz and such for PAX, which I would understand I suppose, so I won't really start to worry too much until PAX has come and gone. But, that doesn't mean I'm not still a little worried now.

YeahYeahYouWere on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's been quite a while since we last got to command Penny Arcade's Gabe and Tycho around New Arcadia, pugilizin' giant fruit f###ers and sweepin' the boardwalk clear of barbershop quartets. So long, in fact, that we nearly forgot the series was intended to be episodic (we've been told that means every four to six months in PAA's case), which resulted in a call to series developer Hothead Games.

We were told by a Hothead rep this morning that, while no release date or information has yet been revealed about the game, "It [Episode 3] is still in development." Would it be fair to say we'll hear more about the game in the upcoming weeks leading up to PAX 2009? From the conversation we had this morning, we'd say that sounds mighty likely. With PAX 2009 just six short weeks away, we may not be waiting too much longer before we hear something more official.
    Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/16/psa-penny-arcade-adventures-episode-3-still-in-development/

Undead Scottsman on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    =) whee la

Xaquin on
    edited July 2009
    You people are horrible.

Nobody's trying to trick you into anything or rip you off or cheat you at Penny-Arcade.

Just trust they'll have episode 3 of Rainslick out before Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

TankHammer on
  • Owen EdwardsOwen Edwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kantankeris, dude, let's just say this once: no-one is saying HH and PA are UP TO SOMETHING. People are just saying the absolute lack of communication is worrying and a little rough. So go work and hope for Tycho's sexy love elsewhere.

Owen Edwards on
    edited July 2009
    Seriously, who shoved thier stick up YOUR ass, Kanta guy? Did I say Tycho and Gabe were wicked men intent on raping your wives and robbing your homes? No. I like these guys. They seem like good folks and they were totally nice at Comic Con even though I probably looked like a crazy person when I saw them.

All I said was that I'm frustrated with the lack of communication and I'm not going to keep watching for episode three.

I mean, I'm not a marketing major or anything, but I don't think pissing fans off is a good way to create hype. I'm just saying.

MistressKana on
    edited July 2009
    If you don't care, then go away. Nobody involved in the creation of this game series owes you anything. If they decide they want to take extra time between episodes, that's their choice. Even if it means not talking about it just to placate people desperate for a five hour collection of mini-games. I mean really they're 'pissing the fans off'? Obviously, you're not a business major either.

So here's a little breakdown on some numbers. According to mygamercard.net, as of this post there were 32,671 people who have registered at least one achievement whilst playing Ep. 1. The follow-up episode lists 9,247. Granted, that's not for all platforms nor is it definitive of all those who bought it on XBL and simply choose to play it whilst not connected to the service, but we'll just use them as an example to extrapolate from.

Just given those numbers, Ep. 2 saw an overall sales decrease of about 70%. Even though it cost $5 less fewer people saw the need to spend any money on it. That's what people in any business call 'bad'. Hothead and G&T have to try and figure out why sales dropped off so significantly. I imagine the single most likely conclusion was that Ep. 2 was released too soon after Ep. 1. Two other probably likely factors might be people are waiting instead for all episodes to be released before buying (maybe they're thinking there will be a bulk discount) and a bit of backlash against Penny Arcade (some people don't like the comic or it's creators, amazingly enough...).

Along the way, Hothead is contracted to develop other games. Due to their overall size and potential funding level, they can't simply hire more people for dedicated dev teams. So whilst sitting down with G&T, all parties agree that Ep. 3 will be shelved temporarily so Hothead can work on their other projects, G&T can work on other things if they like or just fine tune Ep. 3's story and design, and PAA itself can catch a little breather and not flood the rapidly dwindling marketplace with yet another sequel that people may simply not feel is different enough to warrant the purchase in the first place.

PAX is about five or six weeks away. At this point, the most likely place to hear any information about Ep. 3. But by all means, accuse them of pissing off the fan base. Of abandoning the only people who support them (in fewer numbers as time goes by). It sure looks rational to argue with people who are showing more patience whilst waiting for a game that nobody is forcing you to buy in the first place.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for being a voice of reason, Santa. The whining in this thread has been pretty ridiculous.

Walrus Pete on
    edited July 2009
    You people are horrible.

Nobody's trying to trick you into anything or rip you off or cheat you at Penny-Arcade.

Just trust they'll have episode 3 of Rainslick out before Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

I was thinking the exact same thing, when I looked through an old game informer. " So what if it's a little bit of a wait, at least it won't be like DNF."

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
  • ChokeholdChokehold Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for being a voice of reason, Santa. The whining in this thread has been pretty ridiculous.

I second this.
    I mean sure, it's been a way long wait, especially when they pretty much guaranteed (do note the relative term) there would be a four month or so gap between episodes, as well as the lack of forum activity from the devs. I found it fishy (in lack of better words), that with Ep1 the devs got on the forums and talked to us a bit, heard our concerns and calmed us down almost instantly from what I can recall, and the same with Ep2, to being completely quiet with a very delayed (keeping the four month gap in mind) Ep3.
    Right off the bat it could potentially be seen as them cancelling PAA completely and just hoping the rest of us would forget about our 5 hour fixes per four months, hoping they wouldn't have to explain the cancellation for us themselves.

However, I'm still keeping my hopes up. It's not like whining about it is gonna get shit done faster or better.
    There are other things to do in the meantime, other games to play and other things to worry about.

I will give the devs all the time in the world completing and releasing the rest of the episodes, because I still believe in this series, as long as the games actually release.

Chokehold on
  • YeahYeahYouWereYeahYeahYouWere Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Santa, I agree that some people are acting way too slighted about this. But I still don't think it's unreasonable for fans to expect some level of communication on the third episode. It seems to me that there has been virtually none, which is very different to how things were during the development of the first two, especially episode 1.

I guess, more than anything, I'm disappointed in the lack of communication not because my life can't go on without Episode 3, but because I really found it interesting the way they were allowing people a look into the development process. And it seemed to me that their enthusiasm for their game was infectious - them being excited about it made me all the more excited about it. Now, there's just nothing out there about Episode 3. Who knows, maybe they're just building up to blowing our minds at PAX - entirely possible.

But I don't think it's unreasonable by any means to be disappointed by the lack of any information available about a game that you're excited for. Again, it's not the end of the world, if they never made Ep3, I am pretty sure I'd survive. But a little bit more communication would be nice.

YeahYeahYouWere on
    edited July 2009
    Fans always want companies to communicate with them. They want communication so that they can gauge how things are progressing and with proper levels of communication, they know that their favourite games will hopefully meet their expectations and communicate the developers intentions with proper communication...

In the meanwhile, any information that is 'leaked', either through proper channels or by accident, will be taken by the fans to mean whatever they expect in their minds. Hothead has communicated. They've said they're busy with other things and that PAA has not been cancelled. Saying anything else could, in fact, violate contracts with whomever they're working with who isn't G&T or even G&T themselves.

I mean, isn't the assumption that the series has been canceled or abandoned rather retarded since neither Gabe or Tycho have said anything on the matter? Wouldn't the creators of the game, the ones who own and operate the website that was the spawn of this forum have said something about that if that were the case? For all we know, G&T haven't provided enough detail on Ep. 3 for Hothead to work with and the developers sure as shit aren't going to just come out and say G&T have yet to meet their end of obligations...

You posted previously that you want some level of information about Ep. 3 in a news post? E-mail G&T about it. They don't read the forums as a rule. Hothead does (I don't know how often), but just how much information should be be communicating when they've already said they're still planning on doing Ep. 3 and nothing has changed that would contractually allow them to speak about it?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited July 2009
    You know I had no idea sales were so bad for ep.2. Wow. That aside, like I said: Never said they were bad guys or anything and you don't see me running around calling people horrible.

Like YeahYeah said, Penny Arcade are ususally the good guys who keep us in the loop. Maybe other companies don't, but they did and I kind of expect that higher level from them. It's a valid point though. They are simply behaving like any other company and you don't see people freaking out at those guys so *shrugs*

And I won't die if ep.3 doesnt come out, but It was a game I was really excited about. I love penny arcade. I don't think it's criminal to be dissapointed that it hasnt come out and doesnt seem like it will anytime soon.

MistressKana on
  • chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sure what's more surprising in this thread, the fact that some fans are so invested in the new game or the random forum members who are defending Gabe, Tycho and Hothead with such surprising vigour. I check this forum every few weeks or so, for the simple reason that PA, as some other posts on this thread have pointed out, is in a Valve style media blackout over episode 3. The media blackout is disappointing but it's not too surprising, it's their game so the release schedule is up to them. However I was surprised at Santa's long, irate and obnoxiously, self-righteous post. What the hell?
    If you don't care, then go away.
    Nice.
    Nobody involved in the creation of this game series owes you anything. If they decide they want to take extra time between episodes, that's their choice.
    Ok, true but...
    I mean really they're 'pissing the fans off'? Obviously, you're not a business major either.
    Well no, but this isn't really an economics or accountancy thread so I'm curious as to why you're bringing this up, unless you're using it as a cudgel.
    Along the way, Hothead is contracted to develop other games. Due to their overall size and potential funding level, they can't simply hire more people for dedicated dev teams. So whilst sitting down with G&T, all parties agree that Ep. 3 will be shelved temporarily so Hothead can work on their other projects, G&T can work on other things if they like or just fine tune Ep. 3's story and design, and PAA itself can catch a little breather and not flood the rapidly dwindling marketplace with yet another sequel that people may simply not feel is different enough to warrant the purchase in the first place.
    Soooo...do you work for Hothead, Penny Arcade, or know some of the players personally? That seems like the sort of information that cooled Kantankeris's deal with Rob Khoo, but then again I'm no Journalism major, so perhaps I've misinterpreted the information or overlooked the primary source you've used for this. *EDIT* Specifically: "So whilst sitting down with G&T, all parties agree that Ep. 3 will be shelved temporarily..." were you present at this meeting?? */EDIT*
    It sure looks rational to argue with people who are showing more patience whilst waiting for a game that nobody is forcing you to buy in the first place.
    BAM I'm lost again. The OP never mentioned that she was being forced to buy the game, as far as I can tell, she wants to buy the game of her own volition. I apologise for picking your post apart like this, but maybe in future you can phrase your replies with a little less self-righteousness, condescension and arrogance.

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.