As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Next Graphic Violence Forum Activity Thing: Ideas Needed! (Poll coming soon)

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited July 2009 in Graphic Violence
Okay. So. We've had a few things happen in this forum since its inception.

The first BIG THING was the Inaugural (and only) Graphic Violence Superhero Tournament. It featured sixty-four superheroes thrown into round after round of theoretical bullshit, and the title was eventually claimed by Thor. I ran it under the alias Son of Beyonder, and it was a pretty big success from a participation standpoint. It's currently the only event I ever finished in here.

Kuribo's Shoe followed with a villain tournament. I can't remember who won, and although Dr. Doom seems like an obvious result, I don't remember if he actually won, I don't think that's what happened. It also reached its conclusion, but perhaps suffered from taking place so soon after the first tournament.

There was a brief respite from forum events for a while. Other ideas were posed, such as "team battles," but following the intense nerdity that radiated from the first two tournaments, I wanted to move away from straight up tournaments.

This led to a more traditional forum battle. Participants split into groups, chose a character, and were placed into a bracket where each team created a comic where their characters dueled under specific circumstances. Despite strong entries from those that bothered to participate, it fizzled out. Part of this was due to a great number of no-shows in the first round. Part of it was because my plans for the tournament were far too ambitious. Either way, it never got into the second round, and I'll take full responsibility for it.

At the end of 2007, I decided to take a crack at emulating other forums and attempted to create the "Graphic Violence Awards." Unfortunately, I aimed way too high, and ran into a number of scheduling conflicts, and it never got past the nomination stage, largely because I had no idea how to set up voting for the multitude of categories I'd set up.

There is a pattern here that I'd like to reverse. The first two tournaments, as nerd-ragey as they got, were some of the most viewed threads on the boards for a while, meaning people from other subforums were here and talking, and the number of people who posted in Graphic Violence swelled and all kinds of other good stuff. Previous attempts to recapture this have...failed, mostly because of my own incompetence.

What I want to do with this thread is to take nominations for a new thing to happen here. I have a few ideas that I'll post in the thread, but I'd like to get some input from everyone here as well. Once I get a bunch of ideas and an idea of how popular they are, I'll post a poll, and we'll move on from there.

The tentative plan is for me to run whatever it is, and I know that's not going to inspire a lot of confidence given my track record. If someone else wants to step up and run something I am 100% okay with this!

So go ahead and brainstorm. Here's hoping we can come up with something that works!

DJ Eebs on

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some sort of design a hero/villain competition, perhaps? We have a lot of creative, talented people here who could probably come up with a lot of good concepts.

Hensler on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, you're actually trying to do something, awesome!

I have a thought, a Superhero/villain creation tournament. Forumers submit ideas, powers, appearance, background, and there is a voteoff to see which is the best that GV can come up with.

shit man I started this post five minutes ago

Antimatter on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    that actually sounds kind of cool, and it also sounds like it is simple enough to have done in a short amount of time, which is key

DJ Eebs on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll put some thought into it, for sure, but whatever you guys settle on I'm down for.

BostonGangler on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like the the design your own hero thing.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A design your hero thing (where we can pull a project rooftop thing with Artist's Corner) or a mock draft for all titles in a certain publisher.

TexiKen on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    After the design your hero thing, the one that wins could segue into another event where you make a "comic", and to keep it easy, change the writer and artist after every page

DrIanMalcolm on
    edited July 2009
    That's an excellent idea! Incorporating runner ups into a comic would also be rad.

An option I had was running a comics-themed mafia/phalla game here. But I do think this idea is way better, so I'm more than willing to shelve it.

DJ Eebs on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

An option I had was running a comics-themed mafia/phalla game here. But I do think this idea is way better, so I'm more than willing to shelve it.

Why not both? I have no idea what a "Mafia/phalla game" is, but I'm all about more comic book games :).

Hensler on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The designing from scratch sounds cool, but over in the CBR forums, there was much more involvement when they had what-if style redesigns of characters. Some of the assignments were "design an avenger as a transformer," "a justice league member in the wild west," "a 90s Image comic character as a golden age hero," etc. Then again, that was an art sub-forum of a comic forum.

The downside is that it doesn't seem like there's more than half a dozen regular posters here that would be up for the art aspect of it.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited July 2009
    well see, hopefully it'd draw people in from other subforums

that's kind of the main point of doing a big thing

DJ Eebs on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hear you.

Reading over the previously pitched idea, I could see it working out as a project where people were given vague guidelines for creating a character (pulp-detective-with-a-supernatural-twist, cold-war-reincarnation-of-mythological-hero, etc.) along with a sketch and a one-to-two paragraph pitch.

If we could get some of the art guys to pump out a 1-2 page comic of the character from each challenge's winner. There'd be a series of challenges, a different artist doing the reward for each challenge to keep it from bogging any of them down.

Each challenge'd be up for like a week or so, and you could keep em going as long as you could bring in the artists for the reward pages.

also, in case there's anyone unfamiliar with it, here are the CBR activities I was talking about earlier:

CBRunway, fashion-oriented character/costume designing tournament. in the second post, it has a link to all of this year's entries as well as links to the last 3 years' worth.

Draw Team Africa, open-ended designing of African-themed heroes. entries start showing up a few pages in, it's taken an odd twist lately with some dude penciling doing some fan-art stories of the characters.

and Draw Europe, the same thing but with European nations.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    or a mock draft for all titles in a certain publisher.
    Could you elaborate on this idea? I just got a picture of some kind of "Character Fantasy Draft" where we split up all the characters from the Big 2 among the posters and then everybody has to write up a cohesive world where they all exist together.

Or hell, maybe everybody gets to draft seven characters from the Big 2 and then write a pitch for a team book that involved them. Wait, we had that thread didn't we?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    just run another hero tourney

that was fuckin awesome!

just learn some lessons and restrain and balance the heroes. give them other fighting areas as well.

delphinus on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Another idea would be a story pitch for a hero. Maybe we could create a list of somewhere around 10-15 heroes that would be interesting for making a story pitch. Characters that everyone is familiar with. And then we could take one of the heroes from the list and pitch an idea for a short story arc of approximately 5 issues in length.

Lucascraft on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Geebs, I think you were on the right idea with the last tourney where we had to create our entries, but where it fell apart was the amount of effort that each entry required. I think a "design your own hero" thing could be very rad, and would require much less work than a multi-page battle. You could do weekly or bi-weekly themes if you wanted, ie "Technological Marvels" "Freaks of Nature". Then, if participation was high enough, comics could be made on their own time. Deadlines suck and we are all really lazy.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah design your own hero sounds great, I would LOVE a pick a hero and do a strip team thing but I can see how that would fizzle out pretty easily.

Bucketman on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I vote for designing a hero/villain.

Mr Pink on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys, I think we should have one where we design our own character, does that sound good to you?

Crimson King on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You could have one where you have to design a thematically appropriate sidekick for a Big 2 hero that currently doesn't have one.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Design a hero sounds good.

Either that or Redesign/Reimagine an already existing hero/villain. It could be like Graphic Violence's own Ultimate universe... except with less Loeb.

-SPI- on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

Why not both? I have no idea what a "Mafia/phalla game" is, but I'm all about more comic book games :).
    DasUberEdward is planning a Marvel-themed phalla in Critical Failures - not sure when he'll be up to run it, but getting tied into that somehow could help draw people from over there.

Wildcat on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yeah, honestly if i can find some of my old notes i'd be willing to take a crack at a phalla i wanted to do for quite some time

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lets keep the phallas to the critical failures forum please.

Lucascraft on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

honestly, if it's comic themed it's not the biggest deal

nobody is preventing you from looking at a thread

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What is a phalla, exactly?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited July 2009
    mafia with a PA twist

Antimatter on
    edited July 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

they've taken place in SE occasionally and D&D more than occasionally

if there would be phallas here they'd be very infrequent, and comics themed

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2009
    and again, this will be decided by vote

DJ Eebs on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    mafia with a PA twist

I still don't get it. Is it some pen and paper thing?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's a forum game that revolves around the informed minority vs the uninformed majority. You have a few "mafia", "werewolves", "skrulls" or whatever who know each other, and the rest of the players try and ferret them out.

Normally it's called Mafia or Werewolf, I have no idea where the name Phalla comes from.

And Secret Invasion would be so perfect as a theme for a comics based game.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know I haven't posted in Graphic Violence often but the create a hero idea sounds pretty interesting and I wouldn't mind participating although I most likely wouldn't be able to draw anything but I could come up with a character idea and summary if someone were able to draw it.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    edited July 2009
    the name for Phalla was created by some forumer who was talking to a mod in an AIM conversation
    the mod wanted a name for the village where the game took place, the forumer suggested Phalla, and bam!

Antimatter on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »

DasUberEdward is planning a Marvel-themed phalla in Critical Failures - not sure when he'll be up to run it, but getting tied into that somehow could help draw people from over there.

Hi. Yeah I plan on running a marvel themed phalla over in CF but hey I joined this entire wacky forum for the supervillain tournament and this was the first place I ever posted. With all of that in mind if you guys would be into that sort of thing i'd gladly relocate the game this way and with a bit of help i'm sure we could think up an excellent theme.

I was going to do some sort of secret invasion beyonder tournament mash up but i'm certainly not the best writer. To be honest a seasonal phalla in this forum would be nice.

Marvel. DC. Independent. Mixed

Anyone else interested in that sort of thing?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just to understand:

So with these Phalla games (lolz penis dickerdoodles), a group of people will write posts with hidden meanings in them or something and we try to put the pieces together? Is there any motive for them doing this talking, to derail threads or something?

We could all be battling for the cowl with our detective skills!

TexiKen on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Just to understand:

So with these Phalla games (lolz penis dickerdoodles), a group of people will write posts with hidden meanings in them or something and we try to put the pieces together? Is there any motive for them doing this talking, to derail threads or something?

We could all be battling for the cowl with our detective skills!

No the Phalla would be it's own thread, people would sign up to participate, and whoever is running the game would privately message each player to give them thier role, games usually last about a week, and at the end of each day there are usually special actions, votes, etc that eliminate players from the game and reveal more information to the players.

In the most simplistic games, the majority of the players would have the objective of discovering whoever the "bad guys" are among them, while the bad guys try to kill off all the good players while keeping themselves alive.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Generally it's set up like this. There is an established citizenry. There are always good guys and always bad guys. Generally the good folk do not know who is who but in some cases say. . .The Wonder Twins they would be informed of each other. The bad guys generally all know who they are and are working for the same cause unless there are splinter groups etc. It can get kind of complicated because neutrals play a role too.

Anyway. The goal of the village as a team each night is to vote out one player who they suspect of being a bad person by majority consensus. Sometimes neat things come into play like who to give a special item to or some other decision to be made by the group that impacts the game. The majority of the talking in the game is about what to do with these things and what motivations may exist or why person A is definitely a bad guy.

As for the good folk these are typical roles

Seer - Someone who can discern another persons role, alliance, ability, or objective
    Vigilante - Someone who gets to kill or damage someone each night
    Guardian - Protects from a kill or damage
    Bus Driver - Can cause actions to reverse targets
    Mason - Linked with another character

Things can become much more complicated by the superhero world is pretty much ripe for this sort of thing. All actions are secretive unless you choose to state them in public and it all goes through the game host. So everyone signs up. Roles go out at random. You could get Sentry or you could get Dazzler or maybe Constrictor.

People will form loose alliances and start planning to achieve their goal and teams will form which will then work to combat one another. For example Xavier might start actively looking out for people. Find Colossus who can guard him and then make a public call for his X-men to contact him during the game while Colossus has a guard on him protecting him from Mr Sinister's attempt to kill him or something like that.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I vote for the creation idea that Manon was describing.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited July 2009
    okay so it looks like we have two solid ideas

1) Create a hero contests
    2) Phalla/Mafia with a superhero theme

honestly, both of those could happen concurrently, if we make the create a hero thing a weekly or monthly contest

I'm going to leave this open until wednesday, because I know the forums aren't as busy over a holiday weekend, and then I'll put up a poll

DJ Eebs on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Geebs I have a couple ideas for a Phalla, we'd probably want to start with a fairly simple one since it would be lots of people's first times.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.