As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, I rolled up a couple of melee characters, a Dwarf Champion and a Captain. After walking both through the tutorial, I think I like Captain more. The fact you get to swing a huge sword and buff and damage through yelling is kind of cool.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    I'd just like to apologize to anyone who happened to be in the North Downs this evening. I accidentally started a giant argument in /advice and /ooc. Someone asked if there were a "public dungeon or instance for level 30ish", and I suggested GA. This caused someone to jump in and admonish me for giving "bad advice" since there was no way a party of low 30s could clear GA. Others joined in, saying they had done so themselves, some of them even brandishing loot from the instance as evidence. Which of course led to "you must've had 60s with you." "Vids or it didn't happen." And other similar nonsense. For half an hour.

The best part: The instigator who started the whole thing by calling me out for giving bad advice, and calling everyone who claimed they had done it liars, is in my kin.

(Thankfully he's only a recruit.)

I wouldn't even call that stirring the pot, really. Sometimes said pot is just a seething mass of stupidity that even something completely innocent could set off.

You should see when some of these people really get going... Hours man, hours...

So, nothing to apologize for! :P Even if he was in your kin...

Never did like apologizing for others in a kinship/guild. Sometimes you can never tell if that new recruit is a ticking time bomb, so no fault there I say.

Doomulon on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well...I mean...as the leader of a kin myself, I can safely say that apologizing for others in a kinship is definitely the way to go. But just beacuse you've apologized for them doesn't mean you can't still give their asses the boot, know what I mean?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's a nice gesture. I would never expect an apology from a Kinship leader, but I think it's a respectful thing to do.

But then yes, still give the offending player the boot.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've apologized for kinnies as well and the next step was a firm talking to said kinny. I think I mostly do it as a way to show to potential new members that we're not all wankers.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How are things creep-side, and how is PVP now? I'm thinking of coming back, but that's a big deal for me.

I honestly had more fun playing as an orc, or giant spider then I ever did as my dwarf. Though PVP always had major balance issues in my experience.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    How are things creep-side, and how is PVP now? I'm thinking of coming back, but that's a big deal for me.

I honestly had more fun playing as an orc, or giant spider then I ever did as my dwarf. Though PVP always had major balance issues in my experience.
    PvP has received zilch attention since MoM; they upped all levels to 60, rebalanced some skills so creeps can counter the new tricks of the freeps and that's it. You're still running back and forth in the Ettenmoors.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »

PvP has received zilch attention since MoM; they upped all levels to 60, rebalanced some skills so creeps can counter the new tricks of the freeps and that's it. You're still running back and forth in the Ettenmoors.

I wish this got more public attention. By "public" attention, I mean "attention from people other than players." Like, maybe if PA cared enough to rip Turbine a new asshole in a strip making fun of their lack of PVP, it might motivate Turbine to do something about it. Or at least shed a little light on the problem to others in the gaming industry. And it is a problem, make no mistake. I strongly believe the lack of PVP is the biggest reason LOTRO doesn't have a bigger player base. I know the MMO market is absolutely overcrowded, but I firmly believe LOTRO is a good enough game that if it had full PVP, it could be at least half as popular as WoW, instead of being limited to less than a quarter of a million active subs.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't think many folks play LOTRO in the hopes for good pvp anyway...

Aldo on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The PVP at release and in beta was excellent, though. Probably one of the best experiences i've had in a game PVP-wise.

It's a shame they don't seem to be supporting it, since PVE content only goes so far. How is the population for the PVP zone, though?

Archonex on
  • Options
    ImkishImkish Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The biggest issue with PVP I think is that when the players are getting steamrolled, they can leave and do something else. The monsters are pretty much stuck. Sure, they can do the delving now, but most of the times I seem to get on my creep, nobody wants to go even when there aren't any freeps around, since they "might come back", and they don't want to lose the keeps.

Plus the ranger is totally badass while they troll is fairly easily countered. Just sayin'.

Imkish on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So starting tomorrow, I have a little less than two weeks off from work. Right now my Minstrel is level 22. Anyone want to make bets on how far I'll get in the next two weeks? Because I'm gonna be pushin'!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok I started a trial of this and I decided I might want to buy it. I went to the account upgrade page and it has something called a digital complete edition for $10. Is that all I need to start playing the full game?

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Did they do something to the graphics in Book 8? I didn't play for a few weeks and it seems like even with my setings unchanged things look better.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    turtleant wrote: »
    Ok I started a trial of this and I decided I might want to buy it. I went to the account upgrade page and it has something called a digital complete edition for $10. Is that all I need to start playing the full game?

Yes, that's the game + expansion.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Did they do something to the graphics in Book 8? I didn't play for a few weeks and it seems like even with my setings unchanged things look better.

I don't *think* so...maybe there were updates to the hi-res textures (as there often are), but I didn't think those actually enhanced the graphics any. Maybe it's just because you didn't play for a while, and now that you're back, you're stunned all over again at how gorgeous LOTRO is? :D

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I sure didn't play WoW for the PvP.

When you look at what overly competitive players bring to most games it's nothing but arguing about balance and complaining about just what is balance (of course that is different for each person, am I right?). Blizzard constantly balances WoW around PvP. If you don't want your favorite class re-tuned up and down the scale, hope Turbine sticks to PvE, because otherwise you may end up hating the class you loved for many years.

That's not to say PvP doesn't need love, but it sure doesn't need the kind of flip-flopping attitude Blizzard has to satisfy the writing masses of competitive players. Then of course, you have the whole *shudder* e-sport thing... (read: Fuck you, arenas!) Would Turbine do that? Well... they sure like to mimic WoW with the stupid staff change! *cough* ;-)

I duno, maybe WoW PvP has made me a bitter person, but I've walked away from a few classes in that game due to PvP changes that affect PvE, and I'd rather not see that in LotRO.

It seems like a no-win scenario, I know. Where's Kirk when you need him?

Doomulon on
  • Options
    VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is anyone able to still do founders invites? I am signed up and bought the game, and was going to get my fiance to try it to, and from what I read online a Founder gets something like 10 invites. We have had accounts in the past, during beta, so I don't know how that would work.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    VulnoX wrote: »
    Is anyone able to still do founders invites? I am signed up and bought the game, and was going to get my fiance to try it to, and from what I read online a Founder gets something like 10 invites. We have had accounts in the past, during beta, so I don't know how that would work.

I don't know if they actually still work, all I could give out was referrals which give free game time. BUT, even if they are still on, they only work if you don't already have an account. Which would mean you would have to make a new account and buy the game all over again.

freakish light on
  • Options
    VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    VulnoX wrote: »

I don't know if they actually still work, all I could give out was referrals which give free game time. BUT, even if they are still on, they only work if you don't already have an account. Which would mean you would have to make a new account and buy the game all over again.

Got it, thank you. Thought it was worth a try.

VulnoX on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So up until today, I've pretty much (foolishly) ignored Lothlorien. I always swore to myself that I'd finish at least Volume 1 of the epic quests before I moved on to finishing Volume 2 and heading out to Lorien. But seeing as it's so tough to find a group for the later epic quests, and also seeing as I've grown tired of occupying my time with shit that doesn't progress my character at all (item XP, how I've missed you), I've ventured forth to the heart of Elvendom in Middle-Earth. :D

Triple B on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So how do you like getting shot up with arrows?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I went through that shite the first time I ever entered the Dimril Dale. Walked for a while, passed a small camp with elves and dwarves, walked some more, avoided the big mean orcses, and came across a little river dividing the land. Being of hobbit-kind, I of course opted to go for a swim, when suddenly I found myself on the receiving end of a merciless and impeccably accurate volley of arrows from within the treetops above.

The next thing I knew, I awoke inside a circle of stones with an arrow sticking out of my left butt-cheek. The arrow had a message tied around it, which read as follows:

"Try it again and the next arrow's comin' straight for your urethra. -Haldir" D:

Needless to say, I've since stuck to the westernmost area of the region.

Triple B on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well I just hit level 30 with my 2-h axe.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    I went through that shite the first time I ever entered the Dimril Dale. Walked for a while, passed a small camp with elves and dwarves, walked some more, avoided the big mean orcses, and came across a little river dividing the land. Being of hobbit-kind, I of course opted to go for a swim, when suddenly I found myself on the receiving end of a merciless and impeccably accurate volley of arrows from within the treetops above.

The next thing I knew, I awoke inside a circle of stones with an arrow sticking out of my left butt-cheek. The arrow had a message tied around it, which read as follows:

"Try it again and the next arrow's comin' straight for your urethra. -Haldir" D:

It's not that hard to unlock the rest of the region.

How to do it:
    Just do some quests in the area, four of which are repeatable for 700 rep each, and build up to acquaintance standing with the galadhrim. Then talk to Haldir or one of the galadhrim lookouts.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Htown wrote: »

It's not that hard to unlock the rest of the region.

How to do it:
    Just do some quests in the area, four of which are repeatable for 700 rep each, and build up to acquaintance standing with the galadhrim. Then talk to Haldir or one of the galadhrim lookouts.

Slowly but surely, my good man.

Triple B on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How much faster is the Mount when you get it? I'm at 33, eagerly making my way.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aumni wrote: »

The funny thing about mounts is you, get one at 35? (I think I can't recall) and you use it for all the old stuff, get into Moria and you can't use it, but its not a big deal because there is so much aggro in Moria a mount would be a liability.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

The funny thing about mounts is you, get one at 35? (I think I can't recall) and you use it for all the old stuff, get into Moria and you can't use it, but its not a big deal because there is so much aggro in Moria a mount would be a liability.

Yeah, I'm in no rush for Miners rep myself. Maybe if it were somehow faster or tougher (significantly!) than a regular horse... that would be different.

Doomulon on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The mount (at 35) will save you hours and hours of travel. Especially when you are going back to deed farm or finish up the millions of dwarf-iron you need to mine.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Speaking of mounts. Turbine is holding a horse design contest, so warm up yer Photoshop skills!

Doomulon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Doomulon wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah, I'm in no rush for Miners rep myself. Maybe if it were somehow faster or tougher (significantly!) than a regular horse... that would be different.

Before I quit I had both factions all the way max, never got the mount didn't feel like dropping my precious gold. Now I'm working on the pointy eared bastard faction!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got a Moria mount, it's really useful actually.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

One thing to be aware of is that the user-owned mounts are actually quite a bit slower than the horse routes from the stables. If someone purchases a ride from a stable master and you set off at the exact same time as they do, except on your own horse, they will outdistance you quite quickly.

That said the player owned mount is a lot, lot faster than walking. I would say that the user owned horses are somewhere between 1.75x and 2x as fast as walking.

ydejin on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mounts are for nancy-boys.

Level 55, and I *still* don't own one. 8-)

There should be a title or something if you make it to 60 without it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    PMAvers wrote: »

"You unlocked trait: Miser"

One thing I hate about the official boards is the out of date info. I recently came back to the game and there is no good burglar trait help.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Rangers and Wardens really don't need one. If you are not one of the two, I salute you, sir.

Shens on
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shens wrote: »

Rangers and Wardens really don't need one. If you are not one of the two, I salute you, sir.

I'm a Warden, but horse riding is still a hecka lot faster than Warden's 25% Forced March speed buff. Plus getting attacked while in Forced March is bad news, since it eats 80% of your power.

Now Warden's Muster skills on the other hand are amazing (although not as handy as Hunter's Guiding for party use). Whenever I switch to one of my non-Warden alt's I really miss the ability to instantly zap to locations around Middle Earth.

ydejin on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ydejin wrote: »

One thing to be aware of is that the user-owned mounts are actually quite a bit slower than the horse routes from the stables. If someone purchases a ride from a stable master and you set off at the exact same time as they do, except on your own horse, they will outdistance you quite quickly.

That said the player owned mount is a lot, lot faster than walking. I would say that the user owned horses are somewhere between 1.75x and 2x as fast as walking.

Hoobajoobawhaaa?

User-owned mounts are not restricted to traveling on the roads. Therefore, even if there *is* a physical speed difference, you're able to take such huge shortcuts that you'll always get there first if you're riding your own mount.

And I think player mounts are actually like a 35% run speed boost, if I'm not mistaken (which I may very well be). They don't overtake a "Forced March"-ing Warden very quickly at all, from what I've seen.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ydejin wrote: »

Hoobajoobawhaaa?

User-owned mounts are not restricted to traveling on the roads. Therefore, even if there *is* a physical speed difference, you're able to take such huge shortcuts that you'll always get there first if you're riding your own mount.

And I think player mounts are actually like a 35% run speed boost, if I'm not mistaken (which I may very well be). They don't overtake a "Forced March"-ing Warden very quickly at all, from what I've seen.

Yeah but a person getting dismounted doesn't reduce their combat effectiveness (well outside of a burg), where as a warden doing a forced march is fucked if they have to fight someone (no power).

I keep thinking of doing a loremaster instead of my burg, since LM's seem to do everything burgs can but better. I just don't want to waste all the time and money I spent on my burg.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.