As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7: Releasing on 10/22/09 - RC is Free to Download

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    KungFu wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    So I'm really wanting to try this out but I don't particularly want to to dual-boot. Would anyone advise against making Windows 7 my only operating system or is that still risky compared to using Vista (which has been my only OS since it came out)? I apologize if this has been asked a million times in the thread already. I checked the OP and, while it is reassuring, I wanted to double-check before I submit my entire computer to 7's whims.

If you don't wanna dual-boot or install Win7 on a separate hard drive, then you could use this as your primary OS - problem is this ends sometime. When the real deal comes you'll probably have to format and install all over again.

So really you gotta decide which is more of a hassle for you.

I'd rather not dual boot since I use up most of my hard drive as is and I don't want to buy another one just for this. Will there not be a way to go from RC 7 to release 7 without reinstalling? That seems.... annoying.

That would be a no. It's not as hard to format as it used to be with Windows Easy Transfer. But there is no way they could provide an upgrade path without having to deal with a ton of buys and other errors that would pop up.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So the current working theory is that Win7 is going to go gold on July 10th, and RTM on July 13th. So, gold 6 days from now, RTM 9 days.

That's pretty freaking awesome.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I haven't been this excited about a new Windows release since 3.11->95..

I think I'm more excited this time around too. I've been using Win7 since January and I still can't wait to get my hands on the retail release.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Can Windows 7 Upgrade be used to clean install Windows 7 or do you have to have Vista/XP installed?

I assume it's like past "Upgrades" and you have to have a previous installation, but if not it'd save me a lot of money.

Invisible on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hello thread, I heard I can ask stupid Windows 7 questions here.

Is there any reason to upgrade to the 64 bit of Win7 if I only have 4GB of RAM? I'm hoping to avoid having to do a clean install and just upgrade on top of Vista, but if there are some magical unicorns of awesome that the 64 bit version unleashes as opposed to the 32 bit I may bite the bullet.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah - 64 bit will use your 4GB of RAM, whereas 32-bit will only use somewhere around 3.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also some programs can be faster 64bit versions that take advantage of the added memory in the CPU.
    The generic workspace or registers* was quadrupled from x86 to x86-64 CPUs. Encrypting a file can be significantly faster,while surfing the web will not.

*really nerdy memory that only people who program in assembly need to know about. Your Core2Duo has less then a KB of it.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    32-bit operating systems can make use of up to 4gb of total RAM. This includes video RAM.

Say you have 4gb of ram and a video card with 500mb of vram. The OS will reserve the 500 for the video card, then make up the remainder to get to 4, so it would only report that you have 3.5.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Can Windows 7 Upgrade be used to clean install Windows 7 or do you have to have Vista/XP installed?

I assume it's like past "Upgrades" and you have to have a previous installation, but if not it'd save me a lot of money.

Yes you can do a clean install. During the install it will ask for a key from either Vista or XP to verify that you already had a copy of Windows on the PC.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I tried using the 64 version of Windows 7 but it kept bluescreening me and then crashing, so I went back to my vista

Maybe I should have gone with the 32bit version of Windows 7 instead?

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So how long will it be after the release before they make an updated upgrade adviser?

MKR on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok so how do I upgrade to version 7260 from 7100?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Ok so how do I upgrade to version 7260 from 7100?

Clean install is the only way i think
    MKR wrote:
    So how long will it be after the release before they make an updated upgrade adviser?

I think there's one out already, have a look on the official website
    Neli wrote:
    I tried using the 64 version of Windows 7 but it kept bluescreening me and then crashing, so I went back to my vista

Maybe I should have gone with the 32bit version of Windows 7 instead?

You might not have a 64bit core, generally you can only run 64bit windows with a 64bit processor. Try 32bit and if not you got a corrupt version.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay guys, here's a dilemma I am in. My brother recently decided it would be fun to start internet chatting on my laptop. While clicking about, he 'accidentally' downloaded a fake webcam chatting tool and it has really royally fucked up my laptop. Now I do have my Vista Home Premium CD, but it is Vista 64 bit and my laptop is not. I am thinking about upgrading to Windows 7 when it comes out ($50 for a new shiny OS? Yes please!) but what should I do with my current laptop?

Should/Can I stick a RC of Windows 7 on it?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »
    MKR wrote:

I think there's one out already, have a look on the official website

From way back in May. Two months is a lot of time. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Okay guys, here's a dilemma I am in. My brother recently decided it would be fun to start internet chatting on my laptop. While clicking about, he 'accidentally' downloaded a fake webcam chatting tool and it has really royally fucked up my laptop. Now I do have my Vista Home Premium CD, but it is Vista 64 bit and my laptop is not. I am thinking about upgrading to Windows 7 when it comes out ($50 for a new shiny OS? Yes please!) but what should I do with my current laptop?

Bopped

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does Windows 7 do that thing Vista did, where it installs on top of your existing installation and shoves all the files into a folder called C:\Windows.old?

I don't have space to back up stuff without buying a new HDD.

freakish light on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Did win 7 inherit these critiacally annoying functiions?

1. Smart Folder view - where Vista attempts to determine what the best view is based on the files and overrides the set view (apply to all folders in view options).

2. Filesharing. If you share a folder, and then later add files and folders to them, are they visible to share users without having to reset the share?

I trashed my vm install ages ago and haven't really gotten around to installing it again just to test a few annoyances.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Bopped

Just a few points:
    • If your 64-bit Vista is legit, you can get a 32-bit version of Vista from Microsoft for something like ten bucks. I believe you can even download an ISO for free. They started doing this a while back to help ease customer confusion and deal with the large amount of people that buy the wrong OS. Basically, when you buy Windows, your license covers both 32 and 64-bit, not just one.
    • AFAIK, that $50 deal is for preorders only, regular price will be double that. So if you want to get in on that, get in soon.
    • If you plan to go with W7, then yes, put the RC on it. Just be aware that the RC starts to disable itself sometime in 2010.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Bopped

Just a few points:
    • If your 64-bit Vista is legit, you can get a 32-bit version of Vista from Microsoft for something like ten bucks. I believe you can even download an ISO for free. They started doing this a while back to help ease customer confusion and deal with the large amount of people that buy the wrong OS. Basically, when you buy Windows, your license covers both 32 and 64-bit, not just one.
    • AFAIK, that $50 deal is for preorders only, regular price will be double that. So if you want to get in on that, get in soon.
    • If you plan to go with W7, then yes, put the RC on it. Just be aware that the RC starts to disable itself sometime in 2010.

Yeah I do know about the Windows CD key thing. I am not sure however of the best way to get the OS onto the laptop itself. I would very much like to get W7 on it since it seems to play friendlier with less stellar hardware.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    stigweard wrote: »

1. Smart Folder view - where Vista attempts to determine what the best view is based on the files and overrides the set view (apply to all folders in view options).

2. Filesharing. If you share a folder, and then later add files and folders to them, are they visible to share users without having to reset the share?

I trashed my vm install ages ago and haven't really gotten around to installing it again just to test a few annoyances.
    1. Yes. Follow this guide : http://www.windows-now.com/blogs/kmkenney/how-to-disable-automatic-folder-type-discovery.aspx
    That fixed one of my major annoyances with new explorer.
    But backspace going one step back in history, instead of one folder up it looks is impossible to fix. I ended up using xplorer^2 for anything more advanced then opening a document.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does Windows 7 do that thing Vista did, where it installs on top of your existing installation and shoves all the files into a folder called C:\Windows.old?

I don't have space to back up stuff without buying a new HDD.
    Absolutely does.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    XP did that too.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    stigweard wrote: »

1. yes.

2. I never had that problem in vista, on several machines. In fact, I used shared folders extensively in vista with no issues at all. Although with 7 I've taken to the concept of the homegoup and shared libraries.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So it has an upgrade feature, but not straight from XP.

I guess I do have to get a new HDD. Or make a new partition on this one.

freakish light on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So since this was never answered the first time: Three install (three mobos basically) OEM version of Vista I got from NewEgg. Can I use the upgrade version to upgrade that?

JAEF on
  • Options
    TrikoTriko Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd like to upgrade my computer with XP to Win 7, but I have too many programs, games, and multimedia installed, that I just don't want to deal with the hassle of backing everything up and do a fresh install of Win 7, then re-install everything. Besides, if your computer has XP on it, chances are your PC is pretty old anyway and would only last a few more years; I'd rather not waste the money on a shiney new OS and just use XP for a few more years until I eventually upgrade to an entirely new PC.

I have my Netbook to play around with Win 7, and it's definitely a lot more convenient and flashier than XP, but XP still gets the job done.

Triko on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Psh, I have XP installed on my top of the line machine I built this year. I just didn't want to shell out the $$$ for Vista.

freakish light on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    So since this was never answered the first time: Three install (three mobos basically) OEM version of Vista I got from NewEgg. Can I use the upgrade version to upgrade that?

You could upgrade one of the installs, I'd assume... Unless you go for the family pack that's rumoured to be coming out.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So the RC on my desktop refuses to allow network transfers over roughly 1.6 megabits. At first I thought it must be the wireless card (even though its N and said it was connected at over 100 megabits) but then I tried wiring it in to my gigabit router and transferring files between other computers wired in for the same result, transfers varying between 100-190 kilobytes/s. Reinstalling network drives did nothing, nothings showing up in the event log etc. Anyone have any ideas before I wipe it and roll back to vista?

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For some reason my Win7 install seems to shit itself if I put a large EXE, specfically self-extracting ZIP format, on the desktop.

It's done this with more than a couple game demos and Source mods - Explorer just shits itself furiously.

Not running any AV software at the moment, Windows Defender is running. Ideas?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For some reason whenever I turn on my Win7 machine I need to disable/enable my network adapter to get internet access. Strange.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Downloaded a new build of 7? Unsure about its authenticity? Long Zheng and Sven Groot to the rescue! (It's a drag-and-drop ISO verifier.)

Cyvros on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Downloaded a new build of 7? Unsure about its authenticity? Long Zheng and Sven Groot to the rescue! (It's a drag-and-drop ISO verifier.)

1. Did you download this from Microsoft?
    [Yes] Congratulations, it's authentic.
    [No] What the fuck are you doing?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's for leaked builds, like the one mentioned in the last two pages that's supposed to be close to the RTM build. And there's nothing wrong with leaked builds, unless they're unverified.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aren't leaked builds going to be unverified by definition?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I figured out what the issue was with my monitor not turning off or going to screen saver. Apparently, the drives that were automatically installed for my printer didn't like that. I installed the drivers from the HP site (which I had to do to share the printer over my network), and everything works fine now. So, I remind everyone by way of my own stupidity, install drivers for everything you have plugged in to your pc, even if it already works.

<3

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    gnombolgnombol Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    But backspace going one step back in history, instead of one folder up it looks is impossible to fix. I ended up using xplorer^2 for anything more advanced then opening a document.
    ALT+UP ARROW will do what you want. Actually I like that the backspace is consistent with IE and Firefox and most other programs like Windows Help.

gnombol on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So the RC on my desktop refuses to allow network transfers over roughly 1.6 megabits. At first I thought it must be the wireless card (even though its N and said it was connected at over 100 megabits) but then I tried wiring it in to my gigabit router and transferring files between other computers wired in for the same result, transfers varying between 100-190 kilobytes/s. Reinstalling network drives did nothing, nothings showing up in the event log etc. Anyone have any ideas before I wipe it and roll back to vista?

Try disabling TCP auto-tuning.

In an administrator command prompt:
    netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

If it doesn't do anything, turn it back on:
    netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal

They rewrote the network stack to try to maximize gigabit, and sometimes it just fucks things up and you'd be best off just turning it off. If I don't turn it off on my machine, I get a solid 60kbp/s on downloads and file transfers over my network, and I'm on wireless-n, plus it also happens through gigabit ethernet. Without autotuning I'm up in the 300kbp/s range.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HAY GUYZ!

Sell me on Professional. I have Vista Home Premium on a computer, and I'm perfectly happy with it. Is there anything in Pro that's worth the money? I Figure HP is a steal at $50, and has everything I need.

mcdermott on