As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your secret shame...

see317see317 Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Graphic Violence
I was cleaning out my room today, getting rid of old books and the like (I have a problem with packrat-ism, it runs in my family), and I came across crap I did not know I had. At some point in my past I bought the first three trades of Spawn, as well as the Violator mini-series.

I feel dirty knowing I spent money on these things, and worse knowing that I've had them in a box for years.
Make me feel better, GV? What are you almost too ashamed of buying to admit?

I also have a comic where Spawn fights Batman, and Batman gets giant power gauntlets to fight Spawn after Spawn kicks his ass.
Oh god... I need a shower.

see317 on

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I used to buy Youngblood and Bloodstrike when I was younger. I don't think or at least I hope I don't have them around here.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've probably got boxes and boxes of shame. Multiple chromium covers, trading card issues, etc. I was a real gimmick whore in the early 90's.

Tach on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When I was just getting into comics three years ago during Civil War I picked up the first 2 issues of Onslaught Reborn. And I liked it. Then I started reading other stuff and quickly figured out that Liefeld is a horrible artist and Loeb was at his worst. I guess another shame is me not hating Ultimatum as much as most people.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have like, five copies of Superman reborn, still in their crappy white bags. As well as one copy of Death of Superman...

I'm ashamed I spent so much time and effort getting those comics. Same with my 9/11 Spidey comic. That one I am truly ashamed of.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh god...
    I just remembered the spawn t-shirt I used to have.

What the fuck was wrong with me? Can I blame my parents? Did they not beat me enough?

see317 on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I saw Spawn in theaters. And I had a lot of Spawn action figures. In my defense, I was seven.

My current shame is my constant purchasing of overpriced hardcover reprint collections.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I actually liked the Nipples Batman. Awful.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like Leifeld. I have all the Onslaught issues, full runs of all the Heroes Reborn titles, and Onslaught Reborn. I also have his Captain America rip-off series Fighting American/Agent: America.

I've also got almost every Wildstorm comic ever published - including Wildcats 2.0.

And all of the Ben Reilly issues of the Spider books, plus most of the Clone Saga.

And the Red/Blue Electrical Superman arcs.

And yeah, plenty of Spawn.

But wait - this is a shame thread. And these books are fucking awesome. Nevermind me.

Hensler on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I pretty much grew up on the clone saga, and was too young to realize that it sucked.

BostonGangler on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am ashamed that as a child I thought Rob leifield was the best artist/author ever and made marvel comics 1.5^7 better. I still own so many x-force's that were totally "radical" and way more "mature" then the other kids comics around.

Oh god... please forgive me...

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought a recent one shot about Ms. Marvel and some kid with Scarlet Witch's reality warping powers.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    I bought chuck tie-in comics

DJ Eebs on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like Ed Benes. I think his cheesecake is wonderful and I love the way he draws Wonder Woman.

Lucascraft on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've got a whole bunch of old Sonic the Hedgehog comics laying in my room somewhere. Also, I still have some of the old Gen 13 comics written by Adam Warren. I think I got rid of most of my crappy Spawn comics in a yard sale, the rest I threw in the garbage.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Regarding Spawn, why was he ever popular? Other than a really cool cape, is there a reason to like him?

Lucascraft on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Todd McFarlane art. And his origin is actually a pretty good one.

I was a big fan of WildCATS, mainly because of Jim Lee and the cartoon. All those worthless mini series, a series that kind of went to crap after they came back to Earth during Alan Moore's run, and the delays (Grifter's series was good though, early Stephen Seagle work).

TexiKen on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ninjak.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Still have DBZ trading cards.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    let's uh

let's keep our shames comics related

DJ Eebs on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was a big fan of Lethal Protector Venom and may or may not have said, "I like him because he's like Spider-Man, but kills people."

I also thought it was really cool when he was afflicted with THE MADNESS and grew a few extra arms, a dozen or so extra heads, and then smacked around the Juggernaut a little.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    let's uh

let's keep our shames comics related

Well they're mixed in with my marvel trading cards and I bought them at the comic book store I used to frequent. So sometimes I go through my collection and that wall of shame hits me in the face. I guess I should also add that's the only thing I have weaboo related.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I enjoyed the fuck out of Zen: Intergalactic Ninja.

probably not a shame though. It still seems like it was real rad.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have every Spawn thing everyone's mentioned in this thread.

And I still buy it and like it so you can all go to hell.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited July 2009
    you also have a sig full of furry fanart. I'd have to say that your definition of shame might be somewhat askew.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a large chunk of the Liefeld X-Force run. To be fair, it was the first time I ever looked at a comic and thought, "Is this art ugly, or am I crazy?" So thanks for introducing me to the joys of appreciating comic art, Rob! You taught me exactly what I didn't like!

I also may have spent a large amount of money on the Malibu/Marvel Relaunch called Black September. All those #1's (or were they 0's or Infinity's?) were so hard to resist. But again, once I read them I began to realize that I had just been had. Some of those relaunches were horrendous.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited July 2009
    I remember back when Mile High Comics had like "100 comics for 20 bucks!" or some shit, and I got a box of the shittiest Malibu, Impact, and Valiant comics possible.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Disregarding a bunch of stuff like Cyberforce, Ninja High School, a slew of Top Cow comics, and some terrible early 90's stuff from Image, Marvel, and DC, a full run of Extreme Justice is almost the worst thing I ever purchased.

I say almost, because I own this Justice League Annual.

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is that Ian Churchill art?

TexiKen on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    I was cleaning out my room today, getting rid of old books and the like (I have a problem with packrat-ism, it runs in my family), and I came across crap I did not know I had. At some point in my past I bought the first three trades of Spawn, as well as the Violator mini-series.

I feel dirty knowing I spent money on these things, and worse knowing that I've had them in a box for years.

I also have a comic where Spawn fights Batman, and Batman gets giant power gauntlets to fight Spawn after Spawn kicks his ass.

I also have some Spawn stuff, that Batman crossover included, which is written by none other than Frank Miller. (It's kind of so-bad-it's-good, kind of not.)

Since I don't ever have a ton of money and have to be pretty scrupulous in my purchases, thus going from recommendations a lot, I don't have an abundance of shitty stuff in my collection (or an abundance of anything, really). Sometimes you wind up with something like Venom Vs. Carnage, though, or Spider-Man: The Other. :P

I also used to buy a ton of shitty manga, back in my awkward high school days, but have since sold most of it on eBay, except for the stuff that's actually good, like Onizuka, a dabbling of Lupin, Drifting Classroom, Good-Bye by Tatsumi, and, say what you will, the manga adaptation of Evangelion.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2009
    I'm glad that I was finished with high school before that whole shitty anime vibe caught on.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited July 2009
    Mom it's different in Japan the boobs are art.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2009
    Zeromus wrote: »

I also have some Spawn stuff, that Batman crossover included, which is written by none other than Frank Miller. (It's kind of so-bad-it's-good, kind of not.)

Since I don't ever have a ton of money and have to be pretty scrupulous in my purchases, thus going from recommendations a lot, I don't have an abundance of shitty stuff in my collection (or an abundance of anything, really). Sometimes you wind up with something like Venom Vs. Carnage, though, or Spider-Man: The Other. :P

I also used to buy a ton of shitty manga, back in my awkward high school days, but have since sold most of it on eBay, except for the stuff that's actually good, like Onizuka, a dabbling of Lupin, Drifting Classroom, Good-Bye by Tatsumi, and, say what you will, the manga adaptation of Evangelion.

That's the one where some hot lady turns homeless people into cyborgs (the efficiency of a robot and the deadliness of a hobo!), Batman turns a pair of robot fists into strength-augment gloves to beat Spawn, and then the inevitable team-up ends with Batman embedding a Batarang into Spawn's hamburger face, right?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2009

That's the one where some hot lady turns homeless people into cyborgs (the efficiency of a robot and the deadliness of a hobo!), Batman turns a pair of robot fists into strength-augment gloves to beat Spawn, and then the inevitable team-up ends with Batman embedding a Batarang into Spawn's hamburger face, right?

Yep.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2009
    Also, I slept in Gambit pajamas when I was 8 years old or so.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, I slept in Gambit pajamas when I was 8 years old or so.

Dude... I would sleep in Gambit pajamas NOW.

And why don't they make Spider-Man sheets in Queen size?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited July 2009
    I sleep on Batman sheets currently, but have no shame. (My girlfriend got them for me I swear.)

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited July 2009
    I sleep on Batman sheets currently, but have no shame. (My girlfriend got them for me I swear.)

Maybe next she'll convert your race car bed into a Batmobile.

Robos A Go Go on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    munch gimme that extreme justice

also I have no shame whatsoever

I recently bought an entire run of Marvel's Blackwulf

it looks like this

BlackwulfCovers009.jpg

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Stop being so daringly different, Bastard.
    nightwatch1.jpg

Now that I think about it, this might be the most embarrassing thing I ever owned. For those who don't know, Nightwatch was a Spawn knock-off who spun-off of Maximum Carnage, which makes him like double '90s.

Also, steel gauntlets.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2009
    But see, that looks awesome.

Edit: Fuck you and your edits, Robos, I wasn't talking to you

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png