As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official God of War Thread

Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
With the impending release of God of War II and the announcement of GoW: PSP, I felt it was time for an official thread.

God of War

256px-Gowbox.jpg

god-of-war-20050318074320218.jpg

god-of-war-20050204092738150.jpg

God of War II

US Release: 13 March 2007
PAL Release: 18 April 2007

250px-Gow2-2.jpg

god-of-war-ii-20070222023929233.jpg

god-of-war-ii-pegasus-screens-20070207043610531.jpg

The Future:

God of War: PSP

Rumoured for a while and only recently confirmed in God of War II's packaging here. We know that it's in development by Ready At Dawn (Daxter) and that it's being developed on the Daxter engine.

Details from the God of War II launch event:
9:35: Okay, first official group of details on the PSP game:

-It's not a port. In the words of director Cory Barlog (who is involved with the PSP game along with developer Ready at Dawn), "It is its own story that connects to the overall story. God of War, God of War 2, and then if all the stars align God of War 3 will be the telling of a trilogy. This PSP story will be a further fleshing out."

-The developers are not sure what's going to happen to the roll that was previously on the right analog stick yet -- various ideas like a toggle are being thrown around, but we don't know any more than that. "There are plusses and minuses to all of it," says Barlog.

-There's no word on where this sits in the overall story yet.

-There's no word on PSP/PS2/PS3 connectivity features. Ready at Dawn was one of the few developers to do PSP/PS2 connectivity with Daxter and Jak X, but Barlog says: "As far as the connectivity and stuff, it sounds awesome, but really kind of just found out about Home ourselves... Home was in development [during GOW2], but nobody really on our development team was knowledgeable about it, so there wasn't much we could do about it."

-The goal is for this version to be just as epic as the others, despite being on PSP. Barlog: "It is epic. It is big. There are hooks in the PSP story that I actually wrote from one of my first stories for God of War 2, so there are a lot of elements -- we're going to keep connecting all this stuff. To me, it's a persistent world... I want the PSP version to not feel like the PSP version... it's just as big. It's just as epic. It's God of War."

-You may revisit some general areas, but none of the same levels from previous games. Barlog: "We're not reusing any levels. We're not doing any of that stuff. It's all original content. And the game will ship with a second analog nub -- totally kidding! Not true at all!"

On if we'll see hints of God of War PSP in the special features disc for God of War 2:

"No, I'm smart. We took out any references to stuff we don't want out yet... But there are some things in there that may relate to a future game if we do it, but you'll have to keep your eye open for that."

Source

God of War III

Confirmed to be in development (or at least pre-production) at the God of War II launch event. Here's what was said:
9:40: Did Barlog just confirm that God of War 3 will be in 1080p with Sixaxis and VIBRATION functions on PS3? He sure did! Whoa! Well, technically he didn't confirm GOW3, but he confirmed Sixaxis and vibration for the future of God of War.

On if God of War could ever go episodic or use downloadable content as a major component:

"You know, I used to have an interest in that. I was a big proponent of that and started pitching ideas around to people. And I wrote a couple episodic scripts that I put in everybody's hands to try to get the ball rolling. But you know -- the game's too big. I think the game's way too big. There are too many art assets. We're talking like a gig and a half, two gig download for one episode. It's too much. And this isn't a dig on people that are doing episodic content... but I question people's willingness to wait. I think in order for it to work, you gotta have four episodes in the can, and then release them two months apart or a month apart... I don't know if it's viable for this game..."

"I can see creating the game and leaving hooks. When I was writing, I was jotting down little ideas like that... but I don't want to end up doing shit like the horse armor. It needs to be worthwhile. It needs to be substantial, as opposed to some tiny little thing that takes 20 minutes."

On support for PS3 online:

"We do want to have support for the network platform -- I think it's huge. And I'm looking at a lot of stuff right now that if I do end up doing anything with 3, I want to utilize that. [I'm thinking] 'what else is there? How can you explore creating more of a community with players?'"

On user created levels ala LittleBigPlanet in God of War:

"I think conceptually user created levels is awesome. User created levels for God of War -- I don't think it's a realistic proposition. We don't design levels with a level editor the way that like Unreal and Doom [do it] -- they have their own editors... there isn't much possibility of user created stuff for God of War."

On possibly putting co-op in God of War 3:

"I've been looking into it. I really dug playing Gears, and I really like the concept of the co-op. Does co-op have a place in God of War? If we can do something unique with it, yeah, but it is really an early exploration of that in my head really. It's not even a discussion with the team. We're not even moving on to do the game yet. I'm thinking how can we incorporate this without damaging what happens in the game -- without having it feel silly -- where it's just like 'we threw two Kratoses in there and now you can run around through the world.' It's gotta be something more than that. It's gotta have a true purpose, kinda like Four Swords. I don't want to necessarily make a game like Four Swords, but how it really had a meaning to how people play it."

Source

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
Unco-ordinated on

• xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I cannot wait to buy God of War 2. The movie 300 only steeled my anticipation.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • GripperGripper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I cannot wait to buy God of War 2. The movie 300 only steeled my anticipation.

I don't know how to lime stuff. But yeah, I feel the exact same thing as this guy! Pre-ordered the GoW II Special Edition yesterday, playing through the original on Hard now. Got myself stuck on the last boss though. Any tips for beating
    the second stage where you have to kill the clones and protect your family? I just can not beat it... my wife keeps getting killed

My favourite bits from the original:
    *The story in general. The epic quest to kill a God, the fact that the very first thing you see is Kratos failing his quest and committing suicide, the explanation for his appearance etc etc. Epic, in the best way...

*Awesome cutscenes and dialogue, brilliant voice acting... especially the narrator:

"Kratos: The gods of Olympus have abandoned me...now there is no hope...

Narrator: And Kratos cast himself from the highest mountain in all of Greece.
    After 10 years of suffering, 10 years of endless nightmares, it would
    finally come to an end. Death would be his escape from madness..."

It's cheesy, but awesome.

*The unbelieveably violent finishing moves. I think this is what makes the game so damn fun. The fact that I can quite happily press one button over and over because that button lets me tear the wings off motherfucking harpies is the ultimate example of style over substance. I don't care. It rules.

*The fact that Kratos is incredibly hard, so damn tough in fact that he climbs out of the depths of Hell to finish his task, but at the same time is interesting...his story is ultimately a tragic one. He kills his wife and child and is haunted by the memories for the rest of his life...

I could go on... Alright, I will. things I hate about this game:
    *The last boss is too fucking hard. I can get right to the end on Hard Mode and God Mode, but I can only complete the game on normal. What a pisser...

*Could have done with one or two more awesome bosses

*Chasing the sirens in the desert....pain in the ass.

*Hades... those pillars... GRYAAAAARAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Cool idea for Kratos to fight his way out of hell itself, badly implemented

And I guess since I've gone on for ages already, I might as well put in a few things I'd like to see in GoW II and the PSP version:
    *More bosses...specifically Zeus. I know this probably won't happen, but it would be cool. Plus, in the chamber of Pandora's box, there was a mural on the floor, and if you examined it, it said something like "It is an image of a man using Pandora's Box to fight Zeus... It is an image of the future" Maybe in GoW III to round out the trilogy?

*It could be fun to make GoW PSP a kind of prequel. Kratos served the Gods for 10 years before the events of the first game...plenty of time to fight stuff!

Last thing, last thing. Seeing as us Euros have to wait a bit for the game to come out, what book should I read to give me the best image of the whole Greek mythology. I mean, The Iliad, The Odyssey, what? I'm pretty clueless here, but i fancy reading some more into the background material.

Gripper on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, only April for PAL? Awesome. So bought'd, I loved the first one.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I only just got God of War about 2 weeks ago and it was awesomw enough to make me go but Devil May Cry 3. Keep in mind I am TERRIBLE at these games. I can't play any kind of fighting game unless all I have to do is mash buttons. I have no idea what a combo is and if I've ever accidentally pulled one off it was strictly by accident.

But this game is fun and I'm not bad at it. But is anyone else getting tired of these action games headed by ridiculously over macho assholes that always "play by their own rules"? It's starting to wear a little thin. The game = great. The character= not so much.

Magic Pink on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I could go on... Alright, I will. things I hate about this game:
    *The last boss is too fucking hard. I can get right to the end on Hard Mode and God Mode, but I can only complete the game on normal. What a pisser...

*Could have done with one or two more awesome bosses

*Chasing the sirens in the desert....pain in the ass.

*Hades... those pillars... GRYAAAAARAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Cool idea for Kratos to fight his way out of hell itself, badly implemented
    Yeah, David Jaffe has pretty much admitted to how crap Hades and the last boss were. I'm pretty sure one of the guys from Sony Santa Monica said that they just didn't have enough time to fix it up.

Oh and they've acknowledged the lack of bosses and have said it's fixed in GoW2. ;-) I've only seen media released by Sony themselves and I've already seen at least three bosses.
    And I guess since I've gone on for ages already, I might as well put in a few things I'd like to see in GoW II and the PSP version:
    *More bosses...specifically Zeus. I know this probably won't happen, but it would be cool. Plus, in the chamber of Pandora's box, there was a mural on the floor, and if you examined it, it said something like "It is an image of a man using Pandora's Box to fight Zeus... It is an image of the future" Maybe in GoW III to round out the trilogy?

*It could be fun to make GoW PSP a kind of prequel. Kratos served the Gods for 10 years before the events of the first game...plenty of time to fight stuff!

Last thing, last thing. Seeing as us Euros have to wait a bit for the game to come out, what book should I read to give me the best image of the whole Greek mythology. I mean, The Iliad, The Odyssey, what? I'm pretty clueless here, but i fancy reading some more into the background material.
    I'd recommend the Iliad and the Odyssey though you may want to go for the straight translation (they're a little hard to read). Also, pick up the 300 graphic novel and check out the 300 movie (they're both freaking awesome).

As for what you want in future GoW's:
    Zeus is definitely in the game, there's been concept art of him floating around (and I think he may've even appeared in a trailer, I'm not sure). Whether Kratos will fight him in GoW2, I don't know.

As for GoW: PSP, they've got a heap of stuff they can use. They could base it before Kratos served Ares, while Kratos served Ares, just after Kratos became the God of War or even after God of War 2. It's really pretty exciting since they've got a ton more possible scenarios than they had when they start development on Daxter.

Unco-ordinated on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It is great fortune that 300 and God of War II are coming out so close together. All you need are viewings of Gladiator and Clash of the Titans in between and you're set for the week!

I'm going to have to wait on GoW II for a while; backlog's building up and I'm so handheld-centric nowadays that my PS2 has pretty much been a Guitar Hero 2 machine for the past six months. I'm also fairly certain the game will be in steady supply for the next seven years, so I have some time to pick it up.
    -The developers are not sure what's going to happen to the roll that was previously on the right analog stick yet -- various ideas like a toggle are being thrown around, but we don't know any more than that. "There are plusses and minuses to all of it," says Barlog.
    This is the one part that worries me. I really liked the dual-analog control of GoW1, and while I'm eager to see how the PSP version pans out I'm not very optimistic that the controls will be as solid. I hope to be proven wrong.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I haven't gotten a chance yet to play the first game. I should really get on that.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I haven't gotten a chance yet to play the first game. I should really get on that.

I just got the original when I pre-ordered God of War II. I wanted to wait until it hit best seller before I bought it. I'm just on my way through the Pandora tower or whatever now.

I'm just going to wait until I'm done beating the fuck out of this game before I remove the shrink-wrap from my copy of of God of War II.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Tonight, I dine in hell. And I'm fucking hungry.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
    edited March 2007
    It's good, so long as you go in realizing it's not as deep of a fighting system as something like Devil May Cry 3, and that you're signing up for visceral "dude" thrills. It's anything but subtle, but that's why I love it.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I bought the original GoW game. Please, take note, I don't own a PS2. I'd go over to my friend's house and play the everloving shit outta this game. It was fantastic, it had a weird kind of feel to the weapons. Where, like, I could press a button and feel what it was going to do. It felt like they had weight and style. I love this game.

tyrannus on
    edited March 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    I bought the original GoW game. Please, take note, I don't own a PS2. I'd go over to my friend's house and play the everloving shit outta this game. It was fantastic, it had a weird kind of feel to the weapons. Where, like, I could press a button and feel what it was going to do. It felt like they had weight and style. I love this game.

I like jamming sharp objects into the faces of mythological creatures.
    This game gives me that ability to do so.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2007
    I could rip the wings off of harpies all day long.

Lunker on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

But then you don't get any orbs for killing them.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's good, so long as you go in realizing it's not as deep of a fighting system as something like Devil May Cry 3, and that you're signing up for visceral "dude" thrills. It's anything but subtle, but that's why I love it.

Sure, it's no DMC3, but it's deeper than most people give it credit for. One piece of advice I would give is that if you're even a half-decent gamer then DO NOT start out at normal difficulty. Enemy attacks do a pathetic amount of damage at that difficulty, you can get through the whole game by button-mashing. Start out on Spartan and you'll have a much better time.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got this game a few months back, but only started playing it about a week ago. I don't normally even play these types of games and I'm loving every aspect of it. Right now I'm at that Pandora place. Once I beat this game I'll run out and get GoW2, and this may entice me to get the PSP for that GoW.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »

But then you don't get any orbs for killing them.

you also don't get any for ripping the archer-type enemies in half, but that doesn't stop me.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Did anybody else wish that the final battle was like taking out a monster in SotC?

Couscous on
    edited March 2007
    This is the one part that worries me. I really liked the dual-analog control of GoW1, and while I'm eager to see how the PSP version pans out I'm not very optimistic that the controls will be as solid. I hope to be proven wrong.
    I dunno, I think they could just have it so you press the L1 button and then you roll in the direction you're pressing the analog nub. The only other option would be mapping it to the dpad but I'd prefer the first option.

Unco-ordinated on
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Started playing through the origional on hard yesterday and it kicked my ass. Hopefully I can sit down and give it a serious try tonight and get myself back into the flow of it.

SpikedFreak on
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Did anybody else wish that the final battle was like taking out a monster in SotC?
    I think it would've been a LOT better if
    Pandora's box had've shrunk Ares, Ares then beat the crap out of Kratos in a cutscene and then Athena gives Kratos the Blades of Athena. That way the whole "zomg Kratos giant" thing wouldn't be so lame and we wouldn't be forced to use a really shitty new weapon (and there'd actually be a point to getting the Blades of Athena instead of "here's these new shiny weapons, but you're not allowed to use them!").

Unco-ordinated on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dunno, I think they could just have it so you press the L1 button and then you roll in the direction you're pressing the analog nub. The only other option would be mapping it to the dpad but I'd prefer the first option.
    L1 would act as a block by default but if you flick the pad while holding it you would roll. So if you need to quickly roll it shouldn't be too hard to just tap the L1 and flick the stick in unison. Then R1 would be magic.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited March 2007
    What about the L1 + square/triangle/circle type attacks?
    How would this flesh out on the PSP?

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What about the L1 + square/triangle/circle type attacks?
    How would this flesh out on the PSP?
    You could still do it, you'd just have to face in the direction you want to attack and then hold down L1 and hit the corresponding attack button.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't get giddy for games often, but I can officially say I am giddy about GoW2.

Graviija on
    edited March 2007
    Just beat the original on Hard. Suck it, Ares! Now for Challenge of The Gods, and then a run through on God Mode. I want to be a ninja master at this before the new one comes out... has anyone here managed to complete God Mode? I know its possible...I'd just like some proof :D

Gripper on
  • baddmanbaddman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Playing through God Mode now... I'm stuck on the room before Pandora's Box. You know, the one with 6 alternating conveyor belts moving you towards death, 6 archers at different spots, and waves of 6-8 harpies at all times. That one.

baddman on
    edited March 2007
    The way I beat that was:

Cast Army of the Dead (preferably fully upgraded...preferably you have enough magic to cast it twice).
    Run to the opposite side of the hall where the archers stand...right by the barrier. Kill the archers and then just whittle away at the harpies using Square.

As for killing Ares, you're on your own, baby.

Gripper on
    edited March 2007
    Why is nobody posting in here about having picked up God of War 2 and telling their stories about playing it?

The_Spaniard on
    edited March 2007
    Why is nobody posting in here about having picked up God of War 2 and telling their stories about playing it?
    Dunno, maybe they're playing it? I can't get it until April. :x

Unco-ordinated on
  • AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

It shipped today so most of us are probably getting it tomorrow.

Not me because I don't have any money, but if I was getting it, it would be tomorrow.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
    edited March 2007

It shipped today so most of us are probably getting it tomorrow.

Not me because I don't have any money, but if I was getting it, it would be tomorrow.
    Oh I'm playing it right now. Kratos may be the God of War but while I have this game going I'm the God of Wood!

The_Spaniard on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I finally beat the original today. It's weird, I picked it up when it was new, sort of lost interest, and never touched it again. Saw some media on the sequel, got all excited, and picked up the original and played through it over the last couple days.

It's pretty awesome, and I'm really excited about the sequel. Getting it tomorrow! That thread about the LARP ad campaign only increased my excitement.

As to the spinning vertical columns everyone always complains about, I had much more trouble with the horizontal spinning things right before them, only enhanced by my need to collect as many red orbs as possible.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • BottlesBottles Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just started playing this again yesterday... I'd finished it on Normal in September, started a new game on God Mode, and given up when I got to the Trial of Poseidon. Now I'm on the Cliffs of Madness, and "GODDAMN FUCKING SATYRS" has become my mantra, of sorts. Enjoyable, though.

People who've played God Mode- are
    the last three battles with Ares and the Kratos clones
    really that much of a difficulty spike? Because I remember them being tough on Normal, but not disproportionately tough compared with the rest of the game.

(Also, I can only afford to buy one game over Easter break... should I get GoW 2, or Final Fantasy XII?)

Bottles on
    edited March 2007
    It's a pretty big difference, disproportionate I'd say. Ares' attacks do way more damage, and the battle with the clones is ridiculously unforgiving. It feels beatable though, just about...

Gripper on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    So... God of War 2... it's pretty fucking great. I'm about 3 hours into it and already I've lost count of how many "wow, that's awesome" moments there have been.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I wonder how long it will be before it drops to $20...

Good thing I haven't played SotC, Jak & Daxter or most of the Ratchet and Clank series. I'm too poor for anything but bargain bin gaming. :(

Also, I was sooo proud of myself for getting to the clone war in God Mode. Then, after many failures, I was less proud of myself... It was quite a ride though.

I had no magic when I hit the conveyor and decided after many tries that it was impossible. (For my meager skillz.) I ended up backtracking all the way to the cliffs of madness to find the one and only magic box left unopened. I went back and thumped the ever-loving crap out of that room using a combo of rage of the gods (For two free army casts) and then depleting my magic bar.

Heres a question for everyone... Have you found that if you're good at the horizontal blade pillars in Hades, you're bad at the vertical? My girlfriend and I are at polar opposites on that. She couldn't do the horizontal pillars to save her soul, while I bunny hopped across them. Meanwhile, I fell off the vertical repeatedly while she scooted up them like nothing. I don't get it.

NofrikinfuN on
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am extremely upset with myself for not realizing who Artemis and Zeus' voice actors were.
    Claudia Black and Paul Eiding respectively.

StormyWaters on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bottles wrote: »

(Also, I can only afford to buy one game over Easter break... should I get GoW 2, or Final Fantasy XII?)

I would think FF12 would give you more play time. But you'll need a guide, especially to see what's on the licsense board.

Magic Pink on
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bottles wrote: »
    People who've played God Mode- are
    the last three battles with Ares and the Kratos clones

Prepare for pain.

Oh, and for the love of Zeus, make sure you go into the
    Kratos clones
    battle with a full Rage of the Gods. There are some excellent FAQ strategies out there, and you will need them.

Also, its still mostly luck. The only consolation I can offer you is that you will feel like a god after you've beaten it.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...