As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's all about the length.

2»

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    Good point, assuming it's available. Satellite isn't everywhere either due to geographical obstructions though.

Not to mention that satellite internet tends to have horrendous pings that makes most multiplayer online everything from an exercise in frustration to down right unplayable.

I like the PS2 and RPG suggestion myself. There is such an amazing variety of them that it would take almost forever to go through.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I barely get 3G on my phone out there and that depends on where I'm standing in the house and if there's a breeze outside or not.

Gamefly could work, but only if I'm the one that he calls up and I place the order for him.

So yeah, I think PS2 is the way to go since it's so damn cheap these days.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Get him an absurdly cheap (maybe used?) computer and a roguelike. Nethack, Crawl, ADOM, Dwarf Fortress. Loads of replay value, and he should have *some* sort of crappy machine, at least.

Frem on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    Good point, assuming it's available. Satellite isn't everywhere either due to geographical obstructions though.

Not to mention that satellite internet tends to have horrendous pings that makes most multiplayer online everything from an exercise in frustration to down right unplayable.

I like the PS2 and RPG suggestion myself. There is such an amazing variety of them that it would take almost forever to go through.

If you live out in the sticks like me and do not wish to use Satellite (who would?) a 3g compabile smart phone is the way to go. I use my Blackberry for internet. My download speeds are nowhere near as fast as cable, but I can download a 1 gig file in about 4 or 5 hours. Also my ping in MMOs tends to be around 150ms-400ms, which has been pretty acceptable to me. Plus you can get a wireless router for your phone and connect your 360 or Wii to the net as well. It all costs me just $30 on top of my normal phone bill.

I normally get only 2 bars, but when I lay my phone against the window I get a full 5 bars. It's strange.

However, to the topic at hand.

I would throw my hat in for Front Mission 3. It is a SRPG with Mechs developed by Square for the PS2. The customization is fairly indepth and FM3 also has its own fake "internet" that you can spend a great deal of time surfing. As a bonus the game is LOOOOONG. To go through the story is easily 50-60 hours, but wait there's more! It actually has two separate stories, each with its own battles and characters. All in all you are looking at easily 150+ hours of mech stomping fun!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    So my brother is a stay at home dad, and between walks with his daughter around the ranch, her watching Pooh, Tigger and Dora, and playing some games with her, he has a lot of free time. Like I lend him a game and by the next day, he's asking if I have anything else for him.

Unfortunately he doesn't have internet out where he lives so that leaves out any multiplayer games. But most games these days he finishes in a day, maybe two. Fallout 3 gave him 3 days and I think Star Ocean gave him a week while Ghostbusters, Bioshock, and Resident Evil 5 gave him about 2 days tops.

So is there any long, in depth games out there? Something with the depth and customization of Armored Core with the length of say... a traditional S/RPG? He's got a 360 so I know that options are kinda limited.

Any recommendations?

If he has a PS2, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne can get pretty in depth with the customization options.

GBA, go for the two Super Robot Taisen games released in English.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If his daughter's into games, he should give 'Red Faction: Guerrilla' a whirl. Not a very long game, but Wrecking Crew (pass-the-controller style 'can you top this' gameplay involving explosions) would give the two of you lots of fun.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I take it that you want him to stay the fuck away from MMORPGs?

jothki on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is he only interested in story-driven games? Because I've spent a lot more time in games like Geometry Wars and Skate 2 than something like Fallout 3 or Oblivion. Something with a lot of replayability could do him well.

exis on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jothki wrote: »

His mate doesn't have the net.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not quite the recommendations you're after as I don't know much about RPGs etc but:

Fable and Fable 2? Not massively lengthy but enough side quests to keep him going for a fairly long time. I'm pretty sure Fable is backwards compat but I'm not sure if you have to connect to the internet for that.

Are Knights of the Old Republic 1&2 backwards compatible? They'd kill some time.

Monkey Island is out to download soon....I don't suppose you could pinch his 360 and get him a few xbla games downloaded? Braid is a nice time waster, a bit short but if you hunt for ALL the hidden bits it can take hours.

Burnout Paradise, with the expansions and what-not would keep him occupied for quite some time.

Or failing all that, pick up the Orange Box. I'm pretty sure playing through the single player components of that would kill a week.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I seriously can't believe this post is for real...

I mean, it's been said about 5x that A) he's got no internet and B) no computer either.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Forza Motorsport 2.
    Skate 2.

..in fact any game where the goal isn't completion, rather it's all about high scores or doing it better.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evangir wrote: »
    Tales of Vesperia might be a good choice. It's 45ish hours long for just the main quest, but there's a large number of sidequests, a really robust New Game + mode, and a really big optional dungeon. Breaking the game can be quite fun, but it takes a billion years to do. The only problem is that you practically need a FAQ to access some of the stuff, so perhaps buying him a strategy guide with it would be a good idea :)

I definitely have to give another nod towards Tales of Vesperia. I put 100 hours into it on my first run through. It's a really great RPG, easily one of the best on the 360.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I go along with the "Get him a PS2" suggestion.

They don't cost more than new 360 games do at this point and the amount of epically long RPGs will keep him occupied for life.

Disgaea alone has 100s of hours of gameplay in it.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm going with everyone who recommend Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. It has all of the Phantasy Star games that matter, Shining Force 1 and 2, and Shining in the Darkness. If he's willing to play old school games, he has more than enough stuff to keep him busy for a long time.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Monkey Island is out to download soon....I don't suppose you could pinch his 360 and get him a few xbla games downloaded? Braid is a nice time waster, a bit short but if you hunt for ALL the hidden bits it can take hours.

That's because you literally have to stand in place, doing absolutely nothing, for hours.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

That's because you literally have to stand in place, doing absolutely nothing, for hours.

Well, he -does- have time to kill.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    get him rockband 2?

the bundle makes it like 3 different rhythm games all rolled into one (drums, vocals, guitar/bass) with plenty of stuff to do. Then every once in awhile you could do what someone else suggested (pinch his 360 for a day and load it up with songpacks or whatever)

Also you could get him marvel ultimate alliance if he's into beating the living shit out of things as marvel super heroes and levelling up so he can beat the living shit out of stronger things.

you can also get a lot of play out of Dead Rising, make sure you tell him that if he dies he can start over with the same XP level as when he died. So when he dies at the convicts (I think everyone does) he can keep coming back until they're easy sauce.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I seriously can't believe this post is for real...

I mean, it's been said about 5x that A) he's got no internet and B) no computer either.

If you want an explanation, look at the time that I posted it. I live on the east coast.

jothki on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I third(?) Civ. Didn't Civilization: Revolutions or something like that come out for 360 not too long ago? Get that.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    get Geometry Wars Retro Evolved, and tell him to beat the game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Don't forget sports games
    Something like Tiger Woods is good fun even with no interest in golf at all so he might like that
    Or there's always Fifa/Madden/NBA etc

Also if you're going down the PS2 route you might wanna check on ebay or something first as you could probably find someone selling off their old console + games and if he's into racing games at all get him Gran Turismo 4 that'll take up a huge amount of time.

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Commando's 2. Old school and classy.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, GS has used PS2 systems for like $70 but just craigslist has them for that and games.
    Shitty, sorry, pathetic games but still, games none the less.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    Yeah, GS has used PS2 systems for like $70 but just craigslist has them for that and games.
    Shitty, sorry, pathetic games but still, games none the less.

What they don't tell you on craigslist is that by "PS2" they mean "black shoebox filled with rocks with a PS2 logo duct taped to the cover".

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    GrygonosGrygonos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sacred 2, game is fawking long if you complete it all and on both campaigns. I'm about 20 hours in and feel like I've done nothing lol

Grygonos on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If only The Witcher had been ported to the 360 and not canceled...

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg