As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Australia Meetup Thread

• Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Help, blood is squirting from my arms!

Synthetic Orange on
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Help, blood is squirting from my arms!

I've had that happen though and it didn't really bother me, it was only a little splash. Now if the nurses started screaming and calling for help I might start getting worried.

Ten on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ten you should read the story I posted earlier about my brother

#pipe on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A friend of mine went green and had to leave the room when a girl in my class was showing us those diabetes tests where the testing thing pricks your finger. You couldn't even see the blood!

L|ama on
    edited July 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    ten you should read the story I posted earlier about my brother

Yeh, that was pretty awful. But still, I don't think it would've made me queasy, and somebody should really yell at that nurse.

I can watch those anatomy programs without feeling sick too though, so maybe I'm just unusual.

But somehow I still feel sick having to scoop bits of soggy old food out of the sinkhole after washing dishes. Hrm.

Ten on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ten wrote: »
    So, is it just some weird automatic response that makes some people pass out at the sight of blood, or is it them actually getting consciously freaked out for some reason?

I don't know. For me it definitely seemed like the former.

Like I said, I have no qualms about someone jabbing a needle in me.

Yeah, it's usually unpleasant, but it's just a jab.

But the moment I see dark red liquid coming out from that needle my body just goes "holy shit" and I get really light-headed and my vision starts to swim.

It doesn't even really happen when I injure myself and draw blood, though I've never injured myself to a point where there is lots of blood coming out of me, barring a few cuts.

So from what I've gathered, it really only happens to me when blood is actively being drawn from me.

Also I don't think I was so bad when I was a kid and I had a blood test, it seems to be recent. I bet if I didn't actually look at the needle I wouldn't get the sensation.

edit: And I'm not even one of those people who get squeamish watching gross stuff on TV or what have you. I'm not generally one to get too queasy...

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited July 2009
    After a quick wiki search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_syncope

Nothing about why seeing blood would trigger it specifically though, just that it is an unpleasant experience.

Ten on
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Blood is, after all, the stuff that is keeping you alive. Seeing it being sucked out of your body can be a bit weird if you think too much about it.

What's weirder is the concept that someone, somewhere, has your blood pumping through their veins.

marty_0001 on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not really, I mean most organic things have been inside other living things at one point or another.

Think of it this way, farmers fertilize vegetables with manure.

This means you are pretty much eating shit.

Blake T on
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    come on man
    give a carrot some credit

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited July 2009
    The fact that the important parts of us (carbon) was in a star once is pretty fucking awesome.

L|ama on
    edited July 2009
    When you smell a fart in public you are inhaling a total stranger's poop

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When you smell a fart in public you are inhaling a total stranger's poop

I'm pretty sure that Plato wrote one entire Dialogue on this particular topic.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    yea im almost certain tweaked bat just completely stole that line from one of the Great Books

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • TallweirdoTallweirdo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    What's weirder is the concept that someone, somewhere, has your blood pumping through their veins.

Even stranger than the thought that up to 100 people out there could have been treated using my blood is that I was short-listed as a donor for the 'Anti-D' program to produce Rho(D) immune globulin for treating Rh Disease.

They would have taken my blood and injected it into a healthy plasma donor who would produce antibodies against my blood which could then be extracted from their plasma donations and given to pregnant ladies to prevent their immune systems from attacking their baby's blood cells.

I was eliminated from the shortlist because I had a pending job application in another state and they needed a 5 year commitment but it was certainly a strange thought that they would be giving my blood to a healthy person so their immune system could attack it.

Tallweirdo on
    edited July 2009
    What's funny is that people with O- blood can donate their blood to anyone, but they need O- blood themselves. And there's one type that's the opposite, AB or something silly like that.

L|ama on
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tallweirdo wrote: »
    marty_0001 wrote: »

Even stranger than the thought that up to 100 people out there could have been treated using my blood is that I was short-listed as a donor for the 'Anti-D' program to produce Rho(D) immune globulin for treating Rh Disease.

They would have taken my blood and injected it into a healthy plasma donor who would produce antibodies against my blood which could then be extracted from their plasma donations and given to pregnant ladies to prevent their immune systems from attacking their baby's blood cells.

I was eliminated from the shortlist because I had a pending job application in another state and they needed a 5 year commitment but it was certainly a strange thought that they would be giving my blood to a healthy person so their immune system could attack it.

Witchcraft! How did you even get into such a program?
    L|ama wrote: »
    What's funny is that people with O- blood can donate their blood to anyone, but they need O- blood themselves. And there's one type that's the opposite, AB or something silly like that.

I'm O negative! You might say we were the super heroes of the blood donor world; giving selflessly, and getting no help in return. Just send me whatever little money you have.

marty_0001 on
  • RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My blood type is: A+ excellent donor, would transfuse again!

RocketScience on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm AB

Such a selfish asshole

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
    edited July 2009
    Awww shit yeah Spicks and Specks tonightt

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
    edited July 2009
    Hang on wait, you said you were in Aus, yeah J3p?

Edit: I too am AB hi5

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    no idea what mine is

alien slime or something who knows

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited July 2009

Yes I am in Australia!

Lets trade blood

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just over a year ago I got mugged by some pretty freaky dudes; attacked a large group of my friends (8 of us to 3 of them) and singled me out. Now, I know what you're thinking here, a group of 8 should hammer a group of 3 but they were armed with large machetes... anyway, words were exchanged while one of them held me against a wall when I was told to kneel down (which I refused to do, fearing I was about to enable my execution or some shit) so one of them belted me savagely across the skull and I fell over. I think it all went black for maybe 10 or so seconds. My friends attacked them when I was struck but they ran (with my fucking wallet and phone) and I got up to help my friends (fearing they'd be wounded) and my mate was all, "oh dude... dude we gotta get you to a hospital..." I'll never forget the way he was trembling when he was looking at me; he told me later that I was absolutely drenched in blood and it just freaked him out. He told me it was, "worse than the movies".

I remember getting woosy a bit when the ambulance arrived (I assume, to this day, due to blood loss) but no one ever gave me blood. I still have nightmares about the searing pain when they glued my head back together. Last thing I remember before nearly pissing myself (I'm not afraid to admit) was the doctor saying, "this is hot glue and it is going on a fresh, open wound... this is going to hurt like nothing you've ever felt". Great thing to hear but I guess he did it to distract me because I started preparing myself then BAM, a pain I cannot describe as the wound was veritably cauterized shut. I remember the blade striking me but it didn't hurt (I figure adrenaline was covering the impending pain; the next day however, I had a headache that I was prepared to die for in order to lose... although that may have something to do with pouring scalding hot glue on an open wound).

Anyway, the only blood I saw was what was all over my shirt and jeans (my shirt went into police evidence, I've never seen it again but it was a green one from Threadless [maybe a good thing I never got it back m i rite olol] but it was kind of black and brown when I pulled it off in the ambulance... literally sopping wet with sticky blood.

Ambassador on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    head wounds sure do bleed

that's a fucked up story dude

my best story is more funny than horrifying

I got punched in the face and my cheek split open 2 hours north of brisbane and on the drive back down to the hospital we ran out of fuel.

#pipe on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I split my head on a slippery dip, I was running up the slide and my friend ran up the steps, I won, but I banged my head on a bar at the top and bloooooooooooooood

The Black Hunter on
    edited July 2009
    Ambassador, holy shit!

marty_0001 on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hey someone make an ashes thread so i don't have to when i get home

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Thanks dudes.

It's alright now, I just have this dent on the top of my head which, fortunately, I have hair to cover with (no offense to you bald bastards).

Ambassador on
    edited July 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »

You should make a jazz thread Jezz.

Remember to be pretentious in it too. It's no fun being fans of jazz if we can't be snooty and uppity about it.

Ambassador on
    edited July 2009
    Two of my friends got mugged by a car full of guys while they were really smashed, just after one of them had come back from New York of all places. One of them ran off and it gets really uncomfortable whenever anyone mentions it now.

L|ama on
  • RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey Mitchell Johnson's got a tongue stud. I didn't need to know that.

RocketScience on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ambassador wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »

You should make a jazz thread Jezz.

Remember to be pretentious in it too. It's no fun being fans of jazz if we can't be snooty and uppity about it.

that won't be too hard, i'm pretentious as a general rule

if i made a jazz thread it would just be one picture of john coltrane and one picture of sting

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited July 2009
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    yeah of course.

You got any idea when you might want to hang out or where you'll be staying?

we will be staying at the Central Brunswick Hotel

you more free on the 17th or the 19th?

we're apparently also going to the Gold Coast on the 18th, and the 16th is when I fly in so that's mostly out

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    edited July 2009
    Holy shit ambassador, that is intense.

Where did this occur? Fucking machetes?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited July 2009
    J3p wrote: »

Yes I am in Australia!

Lets trade blood

Sydney right? (if I recall correctly)

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited July 2009

Yes I am in Australia!

Lets trade blood

You've earned yourself another "Yes"

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
    edited July 2009
    Holy shit ambassador, that is intense.

Where did this occur? Fucking machetes?

Kingsford, near UNSW. The police caught them but they were all 17 years old and therefore minors... they gave them a slap on the wrists. The thing that really fumed me was that not even two weeks later an Asian international student was attacked all of 500m from where my assault was except he was really fucked up. He couldn't speak English very well and apparently crawled to a nearby pub begging for help; I read in the paper that all he was doing when he got there was trying to describe "a big knife" that was used to bludgeon him. He had way more massive facial damage from where they kicked him on the ground too. They took his laptop, his uni textbooks and wallet.

Not to turn this into some political bullshit but my friends submitted in their statements to the police something I didn't hear (as I was on the ground and blacked out); according to them the 3 guys ran away and one shouted, "whites and n*** out of Australia".

I assumed I was robbed and assaulted but based on what my friends heard, I'm not sure whether or not these guys are out for street justice... of a sort? By bashing and robbing whites and Asians?

Ambassador on
    edited July 2009

Yes I am in Australia!

Lets trade blood

You've earned yourself another "Yes"

Awesome.

How have you been finding it here?

How long you here for?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
This discussion has been closed.