As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I am playing Deus Ex for the first time.

Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
And shit just got real.
At the 747, Paul defected to the NSF and Anna Navarre tried to kill Juan Lebedev (but I killed her to save him). Weird shit is going on at UNATCO, the helicopter pilot is apparently working with Paul, and I'm back out in NYC now, where Paul has asked me to send an NSF distress signal "if I find evidence that convinces me he's right". I wonder: can I turn on him, or do I have to side with the NSF at this point?

I'll admit that I tried to play this game once a couple of years ago and I just couldn't get into it, but this time it sucked me right in. I'm loving just about everything about this game - the writing, the voice acting (!), the gameplay, and most of all, the attention to detail. I love how dialog and scenes play out differently depending on what you've already done, without feeling forced. I've taken the computer hacking skill, and I'm loving hacking into everyone's email accounts to get a sense of what's going on. There are insights as well as both subtle and not-so-subtle foreshadowing in the emails, the public terminals, the newspapers, etc. It's all just tied together so incredibly well so far. Hopefully this will be the case for the rest of the game.

Gameplay wise, I'm enjoying all the different ways you can get through situations in this game - sneaking, shooting, hacking security, disabling security with electronic tools or rockets, swimming around threats, blowing down doors/picking locks/finding keys, etc. The RPG-like stats upgrade system makes this interesting, and I can see me doing some kind of archetypal run-through after I finish the game. I'm playing a well-rounded character this time, with computer hacking, upgraded multitools and lockpicks, and the sniper rifle, GEP gun, and flamethrower as my main weapons.

Question about the baton: If I hit a guy in the right spot from behind while sneaking, I should score a one-hit knockout, right? I can get it to happen sometimes, but not always. I haven't increased my melee weapons skills at all, but a FAQ I was looking at said that shouldn't matter. I've taken to using napalm instead :/

Question about stats: Is there a difference in accuracy between untrained and master for, say, the pistol, once the targeting crosshairs are zoomed in all the way? I've figured out how to be pretty accurate with my weapons, so I'm wondering if I'd get much besides a damage boost by putting points in them. According to the description, upgrading a weapon skill carries an accuracy boost of some sort, but I don't know exactly what that means.

PS: Reinstall.

Marty81 on

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Good man, good man.

also:
    Holy shit you killed Anna at the 747? I. . . I have never done that or even thought about doing that! I have replayed this game countless times and the thought never crossed my mind!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You are in for a fucking treat, sir.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am in the same boat as him, and I am kicking myself for not playing it sooner.

Xtarath on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    See, usually I'd be like "Awesome, you are so lucky."

But every time I play Deus Ex it feels like the first time. The atmosphere sucks me in like nothing before or since and I doubt I will ever get bored of it.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I could never get in to Deus Ex. It was kind of boring.

rayofash on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Whelp Guess I'm digging out my install CD
    rayofash wrote: »
    I could never get in to Deus Ex. It was kind of boring.

Infiidel

Robman on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Marty81 wrote: »
    And shit just got real.
    At the 747, Paul defected to the NSF and Anna Navarre tried to kill Juan Lebedev (but I killed her to save him). Weird shit is going on at UNATCO, the helicopter pilot is apparently working with Paul, and I'm back out in NYC now, where Paul has asked me to send an NSF distress signal "if I find evidence that convinces me he's right". I wonder: can I turn on him, or do I have to side with the NSF at this point?

The main plotline is pretty linear til the end. You've already been marked as a fallguy or pawn no matter how much you may argue. Powerful groups with plans in motion aren't going to change them because you make a pretty speech.
    Question about the baton: If I hit a guy in the right spot from behind while sneaking, I should score a one-hit knockout, right? I can get it to happen sometimes, but not always. I haven't increased my melee weapons skills at all, but a FAQ I was looking at said that shouldn't matter. I've taken to using napalm instead :/

I think I read somewhere that the non-lethal weapons will sometimes just not do damage on a hit, likely to balance them out with the lethal weapons that always cause the enemy to scream on death. Hence the baton sometimes does that. Really, if you want to do the non-lethal, one hit takedown, you should just stick with the stun prod. Even if it fails the first time, they're stunned so you can try to knock them out again silently.
    Question about stats: Is there a difference in accuracy between untrained and master for, say, the pistol, once the targeting crosshairs are zoomed in all the way? I've figured out how to be pretty accurate with my weapons, so I'm wondering if I'd get much besides a damage boost by putting points in them. According to the description, upgrading a weapon skill carries an accuracy boost of some sort, but I don't know exactly what that means.

You can't go above 100% accuracy so you won't be seeing a further boost. It's one reason I never put accuracy mods into rifles if I'm maxxing them.

Note that the damage boost still can be very significant. Master rifle skill lets the sniper rifle destroy camera, alarm panels, turrets, and some locked objects with a bullet, tasks that normally require an explosive or otherwise unsuppressible weapon. You start to go through rifle ammunition a lot quicker once you reach that phase though. 8-)

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited July 2009
    If your rifle level is high enough a silenced sniper is ridiculously good.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And shit just got real.

The main plotline is pretty linear til the end. You've already been marked as a fallguy or pawn no matter how much you may argue. Powerful groups with plans in motion aren't going to change them because you make a pretty speech.

Ok, so I guess what you're saying is
    I have to send that distress signal.

You can't go above 100% accuracy so you won't be seeing a further boost. It's one reason I never put accuracy mods into rifles if I'm maxxing them.

And fully zoomed in crosshairs = 100% accuracy, regardless of my skill level? Sorry, I'm a newbie :P

Marty81 on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    duex-ex-mention.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited July 2009
    And it's on steam

I was safe because I couldn't find the CD
    FFFFUUUUUUU

Robman on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For fucks sake. Time to reinstall.

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2009
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait until you get to Hong Kong. The game then becomes fucking hilarious.

Couscous on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ha! I have to leave for a performance later today and then I have a party! You won't get me Deus Ex!

Khavall on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Most offensive VA in history

Khavall on
    edited July 2009
    My only complaint with the game:

don't read unless you have beaten or got near the end of the game.
    The Dragon's Tooth was just way to overpowered. Even being untrained in melee it was doing freakish damage to everything. That weapon completely changed how I played the game. In the beginning I was sneaky/hacker. Once I got the sword I became a Norse Berserker. Charging head long into any enemy no matter the numbers, even killbots!

Granted I could just not use the weapon and exercise that willpower, but I am a gamer/nerd, you give me a badass sword and I am going to use it. :P

its my only, and honestly, mild complaint with an otherwise fantastic game. Heres hoping the third one some how ends up as awesome as the first.

Axen on
    edited July 2009
    Couple of worthy links.

Deus Ex on modern systems - Fixes the game running too fast or slowly and other stuff like widescreen modes.

The Nameless Mod - Bored of original Deus Ex? Then youre a tool, but try this anyway! The closest thing to playing the original game. Full voice acting, brand new world/story/weapons and everything. Really awesome.

mere_immortal on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Are there any graphical upgrade mods?

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I dont like Deus Ex, there, I said it

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Couple of worthy links.

Deus Ex on modern systems - Fixes the game running too fast or slowly and other stuff like widescreen modes.

The Nameless Mod - Bored of original Deus Ex? Then youre a tool, but try this anyway! The closest thing to playing the original game. Full voice acting, brand new world/story/weapons and everything. Really awesome.

You ass, my widescreen monitor was holding me back.

Renzo on
    edited July 2009
    Robman on
    edited July 2009
    I remember my Dad walking in to check out Deus Ex when I had first bought it. He was reading the back of the box and said, "UNATCO? The U.N? You're playing as the bad guys you know." We laughed and laughed, unaware of how true his humorous statement would be.

Axen on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Couple of worthy links.

You ass, my widescreen monitor was holding me back.

My GOTY from Steam has a 1920x1200 option built-in.

Can someone answer my two questions above, please?

Marty81 on
    edited July 2009
    Yes, fully zoomed in crosshairs = 100%

As for the plot question, welp, every man stands alone in Deus Ex. Experiment and enjoy.

Robman on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Good man, good man.

also:
    Holy shit you killed Anna at the 747? I. . . I have never done that or even thought about doing that! I have replayed this game countless times and the thought never crossed my mind!

Dude that's one of the best decision points in the game.
    You gonna let Anna execute an unarmed suspect right in front of you? Or are you go to take her down like the rabid dog she is?

august on
    edited July 2009
    Neli wrote: »
    Are there any graphical upgrade mods?

The HDTP project is apparently still in development, but honestly its been going so long I doubt it will be released.

mere_immortal on
    edited July 2009
    august wrote: »
    Good man, good man.

also:

You gonna let Anna execute an unarmed suspect right in front of you? Or are you go to take her down like the rabid dog she is?
    Third option, put a bullet in Lebedev's head yourself. Filthy terrorist. :P

Thats the option I normally took.

Axen on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    august wrote: »
    Good man, good man.

also:

There is always both.

Couscous on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Someone got a link to that high res texture pack? My Google-fu is surprisingly shit today.

The_Scarab on
    edited July 2009
    And shit just got real.

Ok, so I guess what you're saying is
    I have to send that distress signal.
    Yes. You have to side with the NSF.

And fully zoomed in crosshairs = 100% accuracy, regardless of my skill level? Sorry, I'm a newbie :P[/QUOTE]
    Is the crosshair moving? If not then you're at 100% I think skill also influnces damage, but it's been a long time. Goddamn I'm going to re-install aren't I.

august on
    edited July 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Someone got a link to that high res texture pack? My Google-fu is surprisingly shit today.

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

Thats the site, and the forums are still pretty alive, but only the beta pack is available.

mere_immortal on
    edited July 2009
    My personal fav re: Anna is
    Setting up a LAM to kill her before she gets in the room. Yeah I needed some alone time, and I don't have enough respect for you to kill you face to face. That's unless I'm playing a Good Guy, in which case I execute her when she pulls her weapon.

august on
    edited July 2009
    I'm sure the hdtp will be done sometime before I start pulling retirement. Maybe.

august on
    edited July 2009
    Also the Shifter mod is a really great balance mod.

edit:http://yukichigai.googlepages.com/shifter

august on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As Deus Ex is the first thing I install on any computer - even those that are not mine - I am immune to the reinstalling meme.

However, I am now going to have to replay it. Paris, man. Paris. 8-)

Higher skill levels mean more damage in general, in addition to better accuracy, recoil, reload time etc. When you look at a weapon's details, anything that's bolded is something that's affected by your current skill level, before factoring in weapon mods and the effects of augmentations. I don't know if they change damage done over time, like the crossbow, but I do know that at Master and sometimes Advanced pistol skill, a single tranq dart to the head will drop most human targets instantly.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That's when I stopped playing.

rayofash on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    rayofash wrote: »

That's when I stopped playing.

Stick to Daikatana and Madden games, then.

As for me, i'm reinstalling. ^#!(^!it!

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I VANTED ORANGE

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I VANTED ORANGE

Best line.

Xtarath on