As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Does LotRO just close itself on anyone else? It seems like every third time I launch the game it closes before reaching the character select screen. No error message, no freeze, just *pop* gone.

EDIT: Just did it again... what the...

EDIT EDIT: Huh... three times in a row now. Time to restart my PC.

EDIT x 3: Now I'm getting the message: "Unable to connect to World Queue. Please try again." Does that mean Landroval is down right now? Or is it having problems with my connection?

This as well as DDO will only run every even time I turn it on. Every odd time (1st, 3rd, etc) it crashes just as yours does.

The World Queue thing I think is just from trying to reconnect before it disconnects the other try and waiting a couple minutes solves it for me.

DuskTwilight on
  • ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does LotRO just close itself on anyone else? It seems like every third time I launch the game it closes before reaching the character select screen. No error message, no freeze, just *pop* gone.
    Yeah, this is a really common bug. Basically you either need to restart it twice in a row, or make sure you give it focus as soon as it starts up (try clicking on the screen as it blackens out, or clicking on the Lotro Taskbar icon just before it does the screen change to DirectX, that's what I do, and it seems to work).

ydejin on
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok. So my client just crashed and now trying to log back on the Turbine launcher is stuck at "Collecting Data Center"

Vray on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ydejin wrote: »
    Yeah, this is a really common bug. Basically you either need to restart it twice in a row, or make sure you give it focus as soon as it starts up (try clicking on the screen as it blackens out, or clicking on the Lotro Taskbar icon just before it does the screen change to DirectX, that's what I do, and it seems to work).

Oh, that's odd.

Thanks for the tip though. I'll try out your suggestion next time I boot it up.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, my champ is level 23, and I'm out in Lone Lands doing quests from Ost Guruth.

Is there anyplace more interesting than Lone Lands to level?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, my champ is level 23, and I'm out in Lone Lands doing quests from Ost Guruth.

Is there anyplace more interesting than Lone Lands to level?

You could head to the North Downs. Most people wait till around 25 or so but what's a couple of levels? ;)

Vray on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And ND isn't horribly interesting either. :P

Aldo on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aldo wrote: »

I find Dol Dinen interesting, but I enjoy horrible horrible wipes.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
    edited July 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

I find Dol Dinen interesting, but I enjoy horrible horrible wipes.

Fuck DD, there's always enough people going through the area, but they never have the quests you need and to catch up with takes way too long.

Look, if I'm in Angmar and someone says they're at the previous step I'll help them out and then we'll do it together, in DD it takes way too long for that to happen and we've probably reeled in a bigass repair bill in the process.

Aldo on
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you see Graedan or Hambo on, give either of my characters a poke in kin chat and I'll come over on my 60 LM to melt some orc-face for ya. I really do enjoy exacting revenge on the low level areas that plagued me...

Doomulon on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Triple B wrote: »

I watched this movie again a few days before I started playing and it was part of my decision to make a Warden.

I think I chose wisely.

Aistan on
    edited July 2009
    "unfortunately" there's no option to walk around in leather undies in lotro.

Aldo on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SOE to make 300 MMO within 5 years.

Edit:

Also, I rolled an alt today (i'm so sorry) by the name of Braignur. Lvl 14 dorfguard, soon to be 15. If you're in Ered Luin tonight and feel like killing goblins, or smoking some longbottom, hit me up. :D

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just started over in the dwarflands. Fiach. Rune Keeper. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick the rune keeper out. When I chose loremaster I didn't really realize they don't heal themselves. Reading comprehension fail.

So I switched to rune keeper. I miss the raven, but love the nukes. I'll play with you Triple B, can't tonight friend's birthday, but I'll prolly be on super late. As I am addicted.

Post script. How does one enter the kinship?

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    2868 wrote: »
    I just started over in the dwarflands. Fiach. Rune Keeper. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick the rune keeper out. When I chose loremaster I didn't really realize they don't heal themselves. Reading comprehension fail.

So I switched to rune keeper. I miss the raven, but love the nukes. I'll play with you Triple B, can't tonight friend's birthday, but I'll prolly be on super late. As I am addicted.

You can heal yourself as a lore-master.

Agent Cooper on
    edited July 2009

To enter the kinship you join the pennyarcade chat channel as shown in the OP, and harass people until they take pity.

And yeah, Loremasters have a self heal and a small other person heal, at least that's what I've seen from my fiancee's lvl 28 Loremaster.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Uh... weirdness. Right now when I try to long in it says there is not an active subscription for that account. Anybody else having issues logging in?

*EDIT* Never mind, it just started working again. Weird.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009

You can heal yourself as a lore-master.

Sorry, yeah, I know, I meant to say the thing that had me excited, an early heal coupled with a pet was misunderstood. The heal you get initially is ally only. I frankly had him confused with the Rune-Keeper when I rolled him, based on a lapse in reading comprehension skills I thought the lore master was the healer/nuker.

I'm sure I'll finish him out, he's level 13. That's not a deleting level.

2868 on

buy warhams
    edited July 2009
    So upon entering Bree-land, Braignur is about to hit level 17. Braignur Ironsides, The Unscathed. I like the sound of that. Also, last night I realized how much I despise Bree-land for questing.

Triple B on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Did they give everyone extra experience for reactivating their accounts? I logged in, killed some random bear, and gained 3 levels in one shot.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Did they give everyone extra experience for reactivating their accounts? I logged in, killed some random bear, and gained 3 levels in one shot.

That was from when they re-did the whole "XP required to level" thing, to make leveling faster. I think they did that around the Moria launch, although someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited July 2009
    The book after Moria iirc.

I keep crashing today. i filed a ticket and they said they reset my character location-somethingsomething and it worked again for a while, but when i re-entered CD and killed some stuff i got stuck again as if i had lost connection to the server. I just flushed my dns, but im so disinterested in logging back in now that im going to play some RA3 instead.

Aldo on
    edited July 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

Yeah, it's the reworked XP system. If you had looked at your requirements to level before you killed that bear you would have seen you probably required negative XP to level. I logged on to my 25 minstrel on my deactivated account and he requires -53,000 XP to level.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    So upon entering Bree-land, Braignur is about to hit level 17. Braignur Ironsides, The Unscathed. I like the sound of that. Also, last night I realized how much I despise Bree-land for questing.

Even the new and improved Bree Land?

Simon Moon on
    edited July 2009
    So, does anyone else get irrationally angry at people for having thoroughly crap gear? I was wandering through the Lone Lands on my way to the Trollshaws, and saw someone advertising for part of Book 2. I tend to the neglect the books on my many alts, but this happened to be the part of Book 2 that this particular alt was on. So, out of curiosity, before replying, I inspect said someone, to find a level 33 hunter wearing a mix of light and medium armor, all of it crafted, none of it of a higher level than 25, most of it lower.

I chose to continue on to Rivendell.

Simon Moon on
    edited July 2009
    Sure you weren't looking at his RP outfit or something? D:

I got a nice teal shield crafted on my Warden and the very first quest in Moria had upgrades for my boots. I'm kind of crazy, though: I've just started with Moria while I'm lv56.

Aldo on
    edited July 2009
    I was grouped with a 26 Champion one time who had a mix of heavy, medium, and light armors on, and it wasn't his RP outfit. Some people just really fail.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some people aren't gamers or alts and are possibly tolken fans casually playing through the game for the lore etc. It's not that unusual and like all games it doesn't tell you which stats etc to prioritise, I'm guessing they are people just picking items which they like the looks of.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So last night I maxxed my first character in any mmo ever. I hope I do alright without the incentive of leveling.

Aistan on
    edited July 2009
    I understand (indeed, even hope) that others are not compelled to fully equip their toons in critted/guild gear. But when a level 41 is wearing level 22 gear that they crafted themselves, I just shake my head in wonder.

Granted, that was on an RK, and an RK is about as far from gear dependent as it gets, but still...

Simon Moon on
    edited July 2009

Even the new and improved Bree Land?

Yes. God yes. Too much walking. There's *still* a shit ton of walking back and forth.

Triple B on
  • lostcawzlostcawz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Too much walking.

Well, that is what boots were made for.

lostcawz on
    Vantheron: Captain on Landroval
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aistan wrote: »
    So last night I maxxed my first character in any mmo ever. I hope I do alright without the incentive of leveling.

I'm at level 59 with my main, and it'll be my first max MMO character as well. Since level 50 the incentive hasn't been leveling but doing more cool quests and exploring new areas.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2009
    So, as for the found item auction economy, should I even bother or should I just save items for twinks/kinship (when I join) I found a few seemingly cool lowbie items that I can't use, but it seems like someone could. Like an Axe with a bonus for killing orc kind, and some purple leather hobbit boots, is there an auction driven economy like WoW's?

Also, I was going for the Undying deed. My girlfriend ruined it by "needing me" in the middle of a 3 on 1wight fight. You can't explain, "just one second," when she's got to put a battery in a smoke detector. The resultant distracting conversation cost me my life.

Oh well, Indomitable is all right with me I guess. Undying for the next toon!

2868 on

buy warhams
    edited July 2009
    The auction house market for gear is dominated by crafted goods. In general, found items are far less powerful than even non-critted crafted items of the same level, so you won't get much for them, but I still see them on the AH from time to time, so I suppose someone buys them.

Also, with the new leveling curve, getting to, say, level 20 takes very little time at all, and so there's going to be very little demand for low level items. That said, because of that low demand, the amount of such goods on the AH at any given point in time can be pretty low, which makes it a little hard to estimate what you can get for some of those items.

But yeah, there's a thriving auction economy. It's probably how most people afford their first horse. It just relies more on the trading of crafted goods and the resources needed to make crafted goods, than on dropped gear.

Simon Moon on
    edited July 2009
    So now that I have a connection again (thanks Comcast! :^: ) I'm able to inform you that Braignur Ironsides is now known as The Undying. First time ever getting it. :D

Triple B on
    edited July 2009
    So now that I have a connection again (thanks Comcast! :^: ) I'm able to inform you that Braignur Ironsides is now known as The Undying. First time ever getting it. :D

D: I suppose you read my post. Boourns on my girlfriend for that.

That is the coolest title.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The auction house market for gear is dominated by crafted goods. In general, found items are far less powerful than even non-critted crafted items of the same level, so you won't get much for them, but I still see them on the AH from time to time, so I suppose someone buys them..

Until you get to level 45 or so, at which pointed crafted weapons become just about useless.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Htown wrote: »
    The auction house market for gear is dominated by crafted goods. In general, found items are far less powerful than even non-critted crafted items of the same level, so you won't get much for them, but I still see them on the AH from time to time, so I suppose someone buys them..

Until you get to level 45 or so, at which pointed crafted weapons become just about useless.

Except for classes that still need offhands, and crafted armor still does well until 60.

Simon Moon on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yay! I finally got the Undying deed.

On another note, are burglars super rare or something? Seems like they'd be a popular class, but I hardly ever see them.

Agent Cooper on
This discussion has been closed.