As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slow internet speeds with windows 7.

Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
Hi,

I figured that installing windows 7 build 7100 would some how magically make my internet run faster, but alas it is not so. I have a linksys wireless g adapter. 2.4 ghz version 4.

I searched for a thread like this to no result, so please delete this if I am wrong in my searching.

So, can anyone help me get my internet running faster than 100kbps?

Thanks in advance.

Arden Canelo on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Need more info than that.

What internet service do you pay for? i.e. how many mbps or kbps do they tell you you are paying for?

What kind of router?
    Do you have other computers?
    Are they also slow?

Have you tried www.speedtest.net and www.speakeasy.net/speedtest ?

How far are you from your wireless router?

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So do you mean your internet connection or your local network connection?

What internet service do you have, and what is their top speed? If you are downloading 100KBps, then you're getting somewhere in the range of 1 mbps, which is what Comcast offers as their lowest speed, and is around what DSL accounts would get. So if you have either of those services, you're getting what you're supposed to.

If you are talking about your local network, then yeah, there may be something that's causing your network traffic to get bogged down.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Internet service is AT&T
    speed paid for is 54mbps
    router is linksys as far as I know
    No other computers
    Speed test website says I'm running at 2032kbps
    However downloads that I try go at 40-50kbps
    I'm less than 20ft from the wireless router.
    Thanks for the quick response.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What sites (if I may ask) are you downloading from? It may be limitations or overloading on their end. I would try something from a speedy source like Steam or Microsoft. Download something 100MB+ to get a good stable idea of speed.

Check Linksys' website for firmware updates for your router? Check the bottom of your router for the model. Maybe WRT54G?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Did a firmware update. Speeds now topping out at 120kbps.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is your speed 120 kilobits per second? (kbps)
    Or is it 120 kilobytes per second? (KBps) - this is more likely

Are there Win7 beta drivers for your network card? Or perhaps Vista drivers for it? Win7 may be using default basic NIC drivers so you are not getting the performance you should be seeing.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Unplug the router and plug your computer directly into your modem. Then go do a speedtest.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    Unplug the router and plug your computer directly into your modem. Then go do a speedtest.

Good thinking. Networking directly is a good idea to rule out some things.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    120KBps sorry.
    You lost me at beta drivers for network card. I need this dumbed down if possible. Its funny how much I love computers and how little I know about them. If you could just give me something to install or a cmd prompt to run it would be much easier I think. If not thanks anyways then.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    After you do what travathian suggested, check your device list (right-click My Computer and click manage) and see what model wireless network card you have. Then you/we can see if there's been drivers written for it for Win7 yet, or if Win7 just is using generic drivers for it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    under network adapters in the device manager there is one name below my linksys wireless g usb network router #2
    It is - Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

That is my network card right?

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So the RC on my desktop refuses to allow network transfers over roughly 1.6 megabits. At first I thought it must be the wireless card (even though its N and said it was connected at over 100 megabits) but then I tried wiring it in to my gigabit router and transferring files between other computers wired in for the same result, transfers varying between 100-190 kilobytes/s. Reinstalling network drives did nothing, nothings showing up in the event log etc. Anyone have any ideas before I wipe it and roll back to vista?

Try disabling TCP auto-tuning.

In an administrator command prompt:
    netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

If it doesn't do anything, turn it back on:
    netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal

They rewrote the network stack to try to maximize gigabit, and sometimes it just fucks things up and you'd be best off just turning it off. If I don't turn it off on my machine, I get a solid 60kbp/s on downloads and file transfers over my network, and I'm on wireless-n, plus it also happens through gigabit ethernet. Without autotuning I'm up in the 300kbp/s range.

Cross post from the Windows 7 thread.

edit:

easiest way to get to an admin cmd prompt is windows key + R for a Run window, then in the run box "cmd", sans quotes.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tried that earlier to no avail, Mustachio. What I'm downloading is a game client called Dragonica Europe English version. They had multiple mirrors to download from. I just don't understand why its so danged slow on me. The same thing happens when I try to download larger files than 500MB.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Looking at it again, I might've botched the command for that, as what I have written on my whiteboard is this:
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

It shouldn't make a difference, but you might as well give it a shot.

Otherwise it looks like it might be drivers, but I'd go ahead and plug yourself directly into the modem. That should tell you whether or not it's a problem with the wireless or some networking issue with the OS or your ISP. Make sure to disable the wireless when you do, since I've had issues with Windows deciding that the gigabit ethernet I've got hooked up is faster than the wireless G connection.

For the record, Windows, I think that the gigabit might be faster.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tried that earlier to no avail, Mustachio. What I'm downloading is a game client called Dragonica Europe English version. They had multiple mirrors to download from. I just don't understand why its so danged slow on me. The same thing happens when I try to download larger files than 500MB.

It's possible that the mirrors are all just slow. What speeds do you get if you download something from microsoft.com? or getfirefox.com or some other popular site?

Edit: Also if your speedtest shows you getting 2000+ kbps then it's probably the mirrors you're using being slow.

And how do you pay for 54mbps? I've never heard of that speed being offered anywhere. Are you thinking of the Wireless-G speed?

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    stephenbruststephenbrust Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Rastled
    I tried the above as you suggested but still no connection. When trying to reverse it I got this error message " Set global command failed on IPv4 The requested operation requires elevation (run as Administrator).

What do I do now ?
    Stephen

stephenbrust on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rastled
    I tried the above as you suggested but still no connection. When trying to reverse it I got this error message " Set global command failed on IPv4 The requested operation requires elevation (run as Administrator).

What do I do now ?
    Stephen

Nice necropost! What you want to do is run the command prompt as administrator. Either right-click on the shortcut and choose Run As Administrator, or press ctrl+shift+enter on it.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    a speedy source like Steam

Heh.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Internet service is AT&T
    speed paid for is 54mbps
    router is linksys as far as I know
    No other computers
    Speed test website says I'm running at 2032kbps
    However downloads that I try go at 40-50kbps
    I'm less than 20ft from the wireless router.
    Thanks for the quick response.

OK, This may be super late since this thread is old, but I think I know what your problem is.

As far as I know AT&T doesn't offer any 54Mbps internet service.
    However, 54Mbps is a typical speed for Wi-fi LAN connections. You'll only see that kind of speed doing file transfers between PCs on your local network. Your internet connection is a different speed entirely. According to speed test, it looks like you have something around a 2Mbps DSL connection. As for your download speed, unfortunately, there's only so much you can do on your side to increase that. If the server you are downloading from is overloaded or has a bad connection, or there's network congestion somewhere between you and them, it will probably be slower than your max download speed.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png