As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[lttp] 3rd party gamecube controllers

FremFrem Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
So, I've finally obtained a GameCube.

cutting_edge.png

This is an insanely great concept. There's a lot of great games I've never played which are available in used condition for cheap. One nice thing about console games is that they just doesn't degrade very quickly if you take care of them. Unlike controllers. You can't just mash buttons on gamepad constantly for hundreds of hours and expect the physical hardware to work just as well as when you bought it, can you? I'm rather wary of buying a used controller, despite claims of various online purveyors of such merchandise claiming that although their wares are "so slightly used that you won't notice the dead spot hardly at all!" Right.

For some reason Nintendo doesn't appear to be making official GameCube controllers in any great volume anymore and a lot of cheap 3rd party stuff has popped up.

Icon makes a "Nintendo Wii GameCube Fighter Controller" which seems to have good reviews.

MadCatz also manufactures controllers for ~$20, but they don't actually have as good reviews as that Icon thing. I could buy two Icons for the cost of a MadCatz controller and have additional multiplayer chaos, but is the quality really superior?

Seeing as 99% of the use of these things is going to be for Super Smash Bros, am I likely to notice any difference in responsiveness or durability between these and the more expensive official Nintendo controllers?

Frem on

• elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    So, I've finally obtained a GameCube.

cutting_edge.png

This is an insanely great concept. There's a lot of great games I've never played which are available in used condition for cheap. One nice thing about console games is that they just doesn't degrade very quickly if you take care of them. Unlike controllers. You can't just mash buttons on gamepad constantly for hundreds of hours and expect the physical hardware to work just as well as when you bought it, can you? I'm rather wary of buying a used controller, despite claims of various online purveyors of such merchandise claiming that although their wares are "so slightly used that you won't notice the dead spot hardly at all!" Right.

For some reason Nintendo doesn't appear to be making official GameCube controllers in any great volume anymore and a lot of cheap 3rd party stuff has popped up.

Icon makes a "Nintendo Wii GameCube Fighter Controller" which seems to have good reviews.

MadCatz also manufactures controllers for ~$20, but they don't actually have as good reviews as that Icon thing. I could buy two Icons for the cost of a MadCatz controller and have additional multiplayer chaos, but is the quality really superior?

Seeing as 99% of the use of these things is going to be for Super Smash Bros, am I likely to notice any difference in responsiveness or durability between these and the more expensive official Nintendo controllers?

Do not buy a Mad Cats controller. I bought one, simply because it was like $10, and it fell apart after one fairly light round of Smash. You really should go spring for the Nintendo ones, since they don't break at all

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't help, but I can say that I'm also interested in what this thread can turn up. There's a lot of GC game's I'd like to play and I have access to a Wii, but I need a wireless controller badly.

I know the WaveBird is what's generally recommended, but they're incredibly hard to find.

Monger on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited July 2009
    I have heard good things about These things , and they have a standard controller layout, which is one thing that bugged me about the original Gamecube controllers

elliotw2 on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mad catz controller are terrible. My sister destroyed my 2 official controllers, and their dad bought them 2 madcatz controllers, and they are terrible. Unresponsive, clunky, much too light for their size. They are twice the size of a normal controller without about half the weight. I like my controllers to have weight in them.

The button layout is also weird. slightly off set, doesn't conform well.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you don't want to go the third-party route, I can't imagine it's too tough to find new first-party wired Japanese controllers - when Brawl came out, Nintendo started manufacturing white controllers with extra-long cables like crazy.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok, so Mad Catz are on the "don't even think about it" list.
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    I have heard good things about These things , and they have a standard controller layout, which is one thing that bugged me about the original Gamecube controllers

Standard for PS2 or Wii classic controller, yes; but they don't have a standard layout for a Gamecube controller or an Xbox controller (both of which I am rather fond of). I'd rather not have to make mental adjustments between the stick layouts.
    B:L wrote: »

The notch locations on the sticks aren't in the right places.
    51uOpPW%2BmbL._SS500_.jpg

Have you used them? Does this make a noticeable difference?

---

I really don't care about wireless vs. wired very much, with one exception. In the gaming setup in my dorm we play games on a projector, so the Gamecube will be behind everyone and the wireless controllers won't have direct line of sight to it. Will this make a difference for my Wavebird and/or any other wireless controllers?

Frem on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Line-of-sight certainly doesn't make a difference for my Wavebirds when I'm using the projector, although I can't vouch for third-party stuff, but it SHOULDN'T have an impact.

Rainfall on
    edited July 2009
    ~snip~
    I really don't care about wireless vs. wired very much, with one exception. In the gaming setup in my dorm we play games on a projector, so the Gamecube will be behind everyone and the wireless controllers won't have direct line of sight to it. Will this make a difference for my Wavebird and/or any other wireless controllers?

Well, most wireless controllers that aren't the PS3 or Wii are radiowave, so they will reach anywhere that's not 50 feet away or hidden in a lead box. Infrared wasn't ever used much in good wireless controllers

elliotw2 on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    ~snip~

Well, most wireless controllers that aren't the PS3 or Wii are radiowave, so they will reach anywhere that's not 50 feet away or hidden in a lead box. Infrared wasn't ever used much in good wireless controllers

PS3 and Wii are radiowave as well, they're just Bluetooth instead of a proprietary standard. Just to nitpick.

Infrared wireless controllers haven't really seen use since...hell, SNES/Genesis? I don't know.

mcdermott on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I want one of the Hori controllers that were made for the Gameboy Player but they're all expensive and stuff.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just do yourself a favor and grab this for $25 Game Cube Controller (White)

Sure it's white but it's a true Gamecube controller.

pa.125182.2.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When I sold my GC, I decided that I should keep my wavebird.

A wise decision it seems.

4 controllers?

Satsumomo on