As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery: growing hemp for fun and profit (NSF56K/H-scroll)

• LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like how you can zoom in and you can listen to all the little people going "blah blah blah what a hoe fo sho"

Loomdun on
    splat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited July 2009
    and then I place the beggars house right next to that person to make him sad

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So what do I buy first with my gems

A graveyard so that people can mourn their loved ones

or a pillory to send them there first

EDIT: nah fuck it I'll just get a coat of arms

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    those were my biggest choices too

tyrannus on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll probably get this soon because I've started thinking about all the money I spend in the context of this game

"goddamn that $10 for bandages and toothpaste could have gone to Anno"

fffuck

Charles Kinbote on
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Has anyone spotted any good online deals for this?

edit: I found a good deal on gogamer, but it's listed as Anno 1404. Will the DRM prevent me from playing it on a US computer?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »

edit: I found a good deal on gogamer, but it's listed as Anno 1404. Will the DRM prevent me from playing it on a US computer?

It should work fine. It's the UK version I think, or maybe they just have a general EU version. Either way it works in English. I couldn't get the disk to read in my drive, but I think it was a conflict with Tages (the DRM), but the disk worked fine in another computer.

In the end I just downloaded the game and entered in my legit CD key that came with it. I guess that's piracy, but fuck those guys for including stupid DRM. They got my money.

Drool on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    Ergandar wrote: »

It should work fine. It's the UK version I think, or maybe they just have a general EU version. Either way it works in English. I couldn't get the disk to read in my drive, but I think it was a conflict with Tages (the DRM), but the disk worked fine in another computer.

In the end I just downloaded the game and entered in my legit CD key that came with it. I guess that's piracy, but fuck those guys for including stupid DRM. They got my money.

I've had no problems with this European version I got from GoGamer. I think it's just a random DRM thing, not a wrong continent thing.

captaink on
    edited July 2009
    Damn this game just sucks away the time. I'm on the 4th mission and I'm seriously hurting for gold. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to trade as much stuff as possible, and I have patricians in my main settlement but I'm -3k cash and bleeding about -200 constantly.

Drool on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gold is wacky in that mission. You'll be doing fine, then suddenly you start bleeding gold. Just tax the hell out of everyone and set up trade routes to sell your excess rope or whatever to the vizier.

grrarg on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    its so much easier to let the cities do that to themselves, tyrannus

just make sure to destroy their warehouse and the people'll eventually riot

In mission three when I took over the town from Joan of Arc the people quickly rioted because they didn't have anything to drink. It was the great cider riot of 1404. I was like, drink some damn water you pricks.

man, I hated that part, because I saw them rioting like crazy and couldnt do anything because I didn't get the mission and didnt even know there was anything to do. I just didnt click on the right building. Which sucks because I didn't click on the right building until the whole place had burned to the ground, so I had to start over from scrath

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited July 2009
    grrarg wrote: »
    Gold is wacky in that mission. You'll be doing fine, then suddenly you start bleeding gold. Just tax the hell out of everyone and set up trade routes to sell your excess rope or whatever to the vizier.

Carpets. Carpets sell like crazy. But if you dont have carpet manufacturing up yet, you can't build anything to get the carpets because of all the negative money

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited July 2009
    I'm guessing on a Free Mode type game, it's best to locate as much production as possible off-island. When you start having goods that take lots of trees or farmland to make, it really cuts into your city-building area.

captaink on
    edited July 2009
    captaink wrote: »
    I'm guessing on a Free Mode type game, it's best to locate as much production as possible off-island. When you start having goods that take lots of trees or farmland to make, it really cuts into your city-building area.

My brain just refuses to let me do this. I feel really weird not having every island be 50% houses, 50% other stuff. It is so weird to me to just have production on an island for some dumb reason.

Artreus on
    edited July 2009
    Artreus wrote: »

My brain just refuses to let me do this. I feel really weird not having every island be 50% houses, 50% other stuff. It is so weird to me to just have production on an island for some dumb reason.

Yeah but imagine the money farm metropolis you could have by having a whole island filled with houses. No precious room taken up with hemp farms, orchards, charcoal burners, or woodcutters.

captaink on
    edited July 2009
    Artreus wrote: »

Yeah but imagine the money farm metropolis you could have by having a whole island filled with houses. No precious room taken up with hemp farms, orchards, charcoal burners, or woodcutters.

I suck at figuring out how fast stuff gets produced, so trade routes are still problematic for me.

Artreus on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game is a time burglar.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game is incredible.

I'm all "Oh, I just need to make indigo and silk farms to make rugs, no problem."

4 hours later, I still do not have any rugs.

sarukun on
    edited July 2009
    Seriously this game is so fucking good. I started playing at like 11PM and looked over at the clock five minutes later and it was 2AM. Then I looked at my gold and I was -3k and said fuck I can't just quit now.

I guess I just need to sell all the extra iron ore and ropes and tools an shit until I get out of this hole. I wonder if the game takes away all your gold every time you rescue one of the children on this mission, or if it's just a time thing.

I know they're trying to teach me about trading to make money, but it was a pretty heavy handed way to teach the lesson, those rascally Germans. Unless that shit happens in every mission and I didn't notice it?

Drool on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    so this game taught me a new word

I wasn't aware occident was even a thing

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited July 2009
    Seriously this game is so fucking good. I started playing at like 11PM and looked over at the clock five minutes later and it was 2AM. Then I looked at my gold and I was -3k and said fuck I can't just quit now.

I guess I just need to sell all the extra iron ore and ropes and tools an shit until I get out of this hole. I wonder if the game takes away all your gold every time you rescue one of the children on this mission, or if it's just a time thing.

I know they're trying to teach me about trading to make money, but it was a pretty heavy handed way to teach the lesson, those rascally Germans. Unless that shit happens in every mission and I didn't notice it?

you probably just dont have enough citizens and your gold income is in the negatives

Loomdun on
    splat
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hate it when I forget to raise taxes on a group of people all ready to start upgrading and then whoops, there goes all those tools you just bought to get your tool production going.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited July 2009
    there's an achievement for settling 20,000 peasants

is that in one game or overall? because if it's the former, hooo boy, slum city here I come!

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited July 2009
    I finally rescued all those dang kids. I think I understand the relationship between production and civilian housing now and was able to maintain my gold and make money with trading.

I don't foresee a career in city planning anytime soon as my city was kind of a random mess.

Drool on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Has anyone finished the campaign yet? Are missions 7 and 8 as long as 5 or 6? I've been plugging away at 6 for hours with no end in sight.

grrarg on
  • CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can rightfully call myself an Elector! The sense of achievement is quite astounding, but then again I am also shocked in realising how long the other scenarios are, when that was the easiest, and must have taken me a good 12 hours in total to complete.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I finally got this game, and am going through campaign mode.
    I was doing super rad, all like man this is easy
    SUDDENLY i have no gold and i started getting so confused with my trade routes and accidentally routed like all my supplies to this one island and oh god i had to stop and think about it for once
    I like it.

RubberAC on
    edited July 2009
    How do i work silk and indigo farms? What kind of land am i supposed to place them on?

RubberAC on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah mission four is a noticable jump in what the game expects of you. And you grow silk and indigo in the orient. At least I'm pretty sure you do. I couldn't get my nomads to upgrade in mission four despite having all their needs met. I think it was just that I didn't make enough of thier houses.

Drool on
  • EvylEvyl Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    How do i work silk and indigo farms? What kind of land am i supposed to place them on?

They grow in the orient - but you need to look at the island fertility (the bar at the top when you have the island onscreen). Right when I started out I never noticed the fertility bar and was all confused as to why shit wasn't growing on certain islands.

Evyl on
    edited July 2009
    wait, I don't get something. Do I have to build things like Weaver Huts next to hemp fields? Whenever I build them next to warehouses or docks they just don't work.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited July 2009
    you can do it either way, but if you do it the more annoying way of supplying materials through the warehouse, the hemp feilds and the weaver hut needs to be connected by road

Loomdun on
    splat
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wait, I don't get something. Do I have to build things like Weaver Huts next to hemp fields? Whenever I build them next to warehouses or docks they just don't work.

I think nothing next to a warehouse works, you need a road going to the warehouse

also the populace BURNS through linen clothes like fucking barnswoopers

Raneados on
  • EvylEvyl Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

If you have enough hemp fields that the warehouse contains hemp, then you can build the weavers next to a warehouse and they'll work. Remember that in order for a building to deliver its goods to a warehouse, it needs a road. Workers will pick up resources they need without a road, but warehouse workers require a road to pick finished products up.

Buildings will have a ring around them that shows how far away crops workers will go to get goods - either a warehouse or hemp farmer will need to be inside that ring (it'll turn green if it's far enough inside the ring)

Evyl on
    edited July 2009

You will notice when you build these buildings that the map goes dark except for an area of influence around the building itself. You need to place the building near the other buildings that produce raw materials for whatever industry that building produces. Yeah, you should definitely totally be able to put them next to a market building and have them grab shit from storage, but that would probably be too easy.

You will know if a materials building is in range because if it is related, when it is within the area of influence of your production building, it will turn green.

sarukun on
    edited July 2009
    well of course you need a road

but if I build then on a road next to a warehouse, and no hemp field is in the weaver's little influence circle, he'll just sit there like a chump while tons of hemp will be stacking up at the warehouse

do I need to enable something so that he'll take what he needs from the warehouse?

EDIT: oh well that's just stupid

why can't I put bakers in the middle of the city, why they gotta be all the way in the wilderness

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited July 2009
    Evyl wrote: »
    RubberAC wrote: »

They grow in the orient - but you need to look at the island fertility (the bar at the top when you have the island onscreen). Right when I started out I never noticed the fertility bar and was all confused as to why shit wasn't growing on certain islands.

OH MAN I FORGOT ABOUT THE FERTILITY BAR
    whooooops.jpg

RubberAC on
    edited July 2009
    well of course you need a road

but if I build then on a road next to a warehouse, and no hemp field is in the weaver's little influence circle, he'll just sit there like a chump while tons of hemp will be stacking up at the warehouse

do I need to enable something so that he'll take what he needs from the warehouse?

I am pretty sure that he does not take goods from the warehouse.

It seems dumb, but pretty sure about this.

sarukun on
This discussion has been closed.