As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eliminating cave cricket

RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have a mutant cave cricket living in my basement laundry room. It doesn't really bother me that much, except for the first time that I saw it when it scared the crap out of me. Now I think it's kind of funny to watch it freak out and boing all over the place when I flip the light on.

However, my wife has declared the cave cricket insecta non grata, and so unfortunately my little friend's days are numbered. Now, I'd be cool with catching it in something and setting it free, but the sucker's pretty fast so I'm open to suggestions. I feel a little bad killing him since he and I have had such good times down there in the laundry room.

RUNN1NGMAN on

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Um ... maybe a shoebox with say a less than a 1" high and say 3" wide indent cut into the 'top' of the box, on only one side? Place is somewhere near the wall, maybe even against it, near where it hangs out. Flip on lights, hope it runs under it. Proceed from there (I'd slide a firm piece of paper underneath and take it outside, but I'm a pacifist. Also, giant radioactive crickets may be our Lords and Masters one day. So, you know, just in case). If it doesn't work the first time, it may eventually?

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You could try one of those bug vacuums. I don't think they're that expensive, and they look pretty handy for getting rid of all bugs without smearing them on the wall.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Or just leave it because it will be dead anyway pretty soon.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    The spiders will eat it eventually.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shotgun. You need a shotgun.

rfalias on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    Shotgun. You need a shotgun.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought you were talking about eliminating the fine sport of cave cricket.

No sir, it is not something that needs eliminating. How else will we pass the time in our caves?

theSquid on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's only a single cricket? Consider yourself lucky if so.

Cave/Camel crickets are all over the area of Maryland I live in, and my house has a crawlspace that these little buggers just love.

I have some bug spray that I spray in the crawlspace every so often. But I also have two insect killing cats. I'm always finding dead crickets around the house.

Just kill the thing. Don't save it and let it go. Kill it dead.

Selner on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Shogun. You need the shogun.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Selner wrote: »
    It's only a single cricket? Consider yourself lucky if so.

Cave/Camel crickets are all over the area of Maryland I live in, and my house has a crawlspace that these little buggers just love.

I have some bug spray that I spray in the crawlspace every so often. But I also have two insect killing cats. I'm always finding dead crickets around the house.

Just kill the thing. Don't save it and let it go. Kill it dead.

He has a point. You might only have one now, but if another one manages to come in, you might have a hojillion. The wife would love that, wouldn't she?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I used crickets as bait for fishing as a child. The best solution I can come up with is to flood your basement and introduce catfish to the ecosystem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaphidophoridae#Elimination

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I used crickets as bait for fishing as a child. The best solution I can come up with is to flood your basement and introduce catfish to the ecosystem.

And then when the catfish get over populated get a pair of bears to hunt them
    Best.Basement.Ever

rfalias on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You could mail your problem crickets to me! I have to buy stupid chirpy fuckers from the pet store every week for my gecko collection. If you mailed me your non-chirping crickets I'd be so happy!

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Raid tends to kill bugs dead.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cage match. But in all seriousness, those things can't change direction in mid-air. I find a racquet to be an effective, if slightly bug-parts-everywhere method of disposal of cave crickets, carpenter bees and small rodents.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wulf wrote: »
    Cage match. But in all seriousness, those things can't change direction in mid-air. I find a racquet to be an effective, if slightly bug-parts-everywhere method of disposal of cave crickets, carpenter bees and small rodents.

Haha, cricket tennis it is!

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Shotgun. You need the shotgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7IsnS7csSQ

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!