As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Official God of War Thread

• Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I wonder how long it will be before it drops to $20...

Good thing I haven't played SotC, Jak & Daxter or most of the Ratchet and Clank series. I'm too poor for anything but bargain bin gaming. :(

Also, I was sooo proud of myself for getting to the clone war in God Mode. Then, after many failures, I was less proud of myself... It was quite a ride though.

I had no magic when I hit the conveyor and decided after many tries that it was impossible. (For my meager skillz.) I ended up backtracking all the way to the cliffs of madness to find the one and only magic box left unopened. I went back and thumped the ever-loving crap out of that room using a combo of rage of the gods (For two free army casts) and then depleting my magic bar.

Heres a question for everyone... Have you found that if you're good at the horizontal blade pillars in Hades, you're bad at the vertical? My girlfriend and I are at polar opposites on that. She couldn't do the horizontal pillars to save her soul, while I bunny hopped across them. Meanwhile, I fell off the vertical repeatedly while she scooted up them like nothing. I don't get it.

I'd contemplated the wait, but utimately, I caved-in and paid full price and I don't regret it now.

The set pieces in this game are simply amazing and everything is so well done (so far). The Colossus battle from the demo disc (which I hadn't played yet - the full game is my first hands-on) is just fantastic - not in the same light as, say, SotC, but in its own right. And it's just the beginning (literally). The game just keeps throwing fucking great action in your face at all times. And the story is wonderful so far - I love the direction they are taking it:
    It was neat to hear the "narrator" switch from storytelling to first-person as she revealed herself to be major character in the story

Corey Barlog is definitely getting his Christmas bonus this year. There's no doubt.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    haha what kind of IDIOT thought that "user-created levels" would be available in God Of War? Yeah, the game fucking ships with a PlayStation version of Maya, which is like a $3000 piece of software that you basically have to be a professional artist to be able to use. God, I mean, seriously, can you not tell the difference between a level made of generic tiles and textures and a level made of all-custom artwork? Because GOW levels are clearly, CLEARLY, built completely of custom-made artwork with clipping brushes that are separate from world geometry.

Defender on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bottles wrote: »
    (Also, I can only afford to buy one game over Easter break... should I get GoW 2, or Final Fantasy XII?)
    I can't really tell you as GoW2 doesn't come out here for another month but make sure that if you get FFXII, you get it at a store where you can return it if you don't like it. A lot of people seem to either love it or hate it (I personally think it's great but not that great), so make sure your bases are covered in case you fall into the latter group.

Defender: Mind not acting like a 13 year old? We don't know the context that the question was asked in. For all we know, he just asked Barlog (the Balrog) what he thought of it. Personally, I'm hoping we get a few LBP levels created with a GoW theme. :lol:

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I am extremely upset with myself for not realizing who Artemis and Zeus' voice actors were.
    Claudia Black and Paul Eiding respectively.

As soon as I heard Zeus, and he stopped speaking to me, you know how they're like "Go with the Gods, Kratos. Go forth in the name of Olympus."...Well, in my head the voice just continued on and went "En Taro Adun, Executor!" I guess my brain couldn't help it, they used exactly the same distortion effect as the one they used on Aldaris' voice.

So hey, how did you guys handle the second stage of the final boss battle? (Why are we spoiler-tagging this, the sequel is already out?)

My method was basically:
    Obviously use Hades, use Rage, and during Rage you throw out one Hades, then hug your family and/or use Poseidon, then close with Hades again just before Rage ends. For actual striking, I use the Guard + Triangle lifter with Artemis. The move does a good amount of damage (two hits can kill an enemy even on Spartan), but also it lifts them and basically removes them from combat for several seconds and leaves them lying on the ground for a follow-up strike if you have the time. Running around and launching this move seems like the best way to keep anyone who gets near your family from being able to do much damage.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    (Also, I can only afford to buy one game over Easter break... should I get GoW 2, or Final Fantasy XII?)
    I can't really tell you as GoW2 doesn't come out here for another month but make sure that if you get FFXII, you get it at a store where you can return it if you don't like it. A lot of people seem to either love it or hate it (I personally think it's great but not that great), so make sure your bases are covered in case you fall into the latter group.

Defender: Mind not acting like a 13 year old? We don't know the context that the question was asked in. For all we know, he just asked Barlog (the Balrog) what he thought of it. Personally, I'm hoping we get a few LBP levels created with a GoW theme. :lol:

I'm sorry, but that question is FUCKING RETARDED, especially since they actually showed you what it takes to make levels in GOW in the "extras" section. It's an idiotic question and it takes up face time and wastes space when an intelligent question could've been asked.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    baddman wrote: »
    Playing through God Mode now... I'm stuck on the room before Pandora's Box. You know, the one with 6 alternating conveyor belts moving you towards death, 6 archers at different spots, and waves of 6-8 harpies at all times. That one.

Good fucking GOD that was one of the hardest parts of the game. I haven't even played through on God (just Spartan, and Normal for comparison purposes), but when I first got there it was just like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?"

The only thing that I found that really helped was that you can quickly grab-and-throw the archers, and once they're done, if you keep moving around, the harpies don't dive-bomb you. So I basically went back and forth between conveyor belts doing the Roll + X move (Achilles Flip?) because that could hurt the harpies and it didn't give them much time to attack me.

Defender on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I found that any section with archers is quickly solved by me running up to them and ripping them in half. Then I return to battle whatever other beast may trying to ruin my day.

Come to think of it, I wish the rest of my day was like this.
    It would make group-based school work a lot easier.

"You don't know how to put commas into sentences? Now I have to edit the shit out of your 5 page section of this paper??!?"
    "YAAARRRRAAAAAAAAAGAH!!!"
    *Ripping noises*

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hated the fucking part where those things would like, come out of the ground and try and fuck you. And then you get done with that part, there are more, and then two ogres decide you look pretty sexy.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I already have my money tucked away in a safe spot waiting to be sacrificed in the name of this game. I want to play it now, damnit! Curse you Europe release date!

At least it's April, not September. I think I wouldn't survive this. (I would, but, you know, it would be just another kick in the nuts - a golden standard for Europe.)

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Strifer wrote: »
    I already have my money tucked away in a safe spot waiting to be sacrificed in the name of this game. I want to play it now, damnit! Curse you Europe release date!

At least it's April, not September. I think I wouldn't survive this. (I would, but, you know, it would be just another kick in the nuts - a golden standard for Europe.)

I can't even import because word on the street is it's a dual-layer DVD. Le Sigh. At least it's only a month.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    BottlesBottles Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    major_tom wrote: »
    People who've played God Mode- are
    the last three battles with Ares and the Kratos clones

Prepare for pain.

Finished it just now.
    Those clones were pussies. Seriously. I did it on my third go.

Ares' second form, however, was utterly brutal. I'm not used to boss fights where a good half of the guy's attacks are effectively one-hit kills.
    Defender wrote:
    So hey, how did you guys handle the second stage of the final boss battle?
    Army of Hades at the very beginning, then go into Rage of the Gods mode and spam Poseidon's Rage and Army of Hades like I was being paid for it. Used Poseidon's Rage and the 'square, hold square' Blades of Chaos combo to do area damage and keep the clones away from my family, hug family to charge Rage of the Gods, then repeat the process.

I was lucky enough to go into the fight with a nearly-full magic meter, though.
    baddman wrote:
    Playing through God Mode now... I'm stuck on the room before Pandora's Box. You know, the one with 6 alternating conveyor belts moving you towards death, 6 archers at different spots, and waves of 6-8 harpies at all times. That one.

The trick there, I found, was to go about two-thirds of the way into the room (between the archer platforms, so the conveyors are pressing you into the platforms instead of the big rollers o' death) and cast Poseidon's Rage- twice, if you have the opportunity. Assuming your Rage is maxed out, that'll get rid of most of the archers.

There's a safe position near the entrance to the Pandora's Box room- if you stand directly in front of the red barrier, you'll get crispy-fried by the burners, but there's a couple of shallow steps in front of those that you can stand on without worrying about either the conveyors or the burners. Then you just wait for the harpies to come to you, and keep tapping Square until they're all gone. (Try not to move position too much, or you'll end up either under a roller or burned to death.)

Bottles on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The trick to the last fight is
    that you need to keep your distance. When the columns rise up, you want to be on the edge of the map. For every other attack, far away. When he does his attack with extending his wings, stand as far as possible, this shit is unblockable. When he does the second phase of the wings attack, try to block the last stripe and then run up to him and attack like there's no tomorrow. It is almost guaranteed that you will enter the mini-game which is a free chunk of his bar off. Rinse, repeat. This fight on God Mode was pathetically easy.

Quite frankly, the hades vertical columns thing is child's play, the same with the horizontal ones (on later playthroughs I wanted to see how many shortcuts could I take here, so there were many deaths).

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So if you buy GoW II at Circuit City they'll give you a free shirt...has anyone got it there? cus CC is kinda far from my house and I wanna see if it's worth driving over there just for the shirt.

Sol on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I got the shirt from Fred Meyer this morning. It's fairly nifty, but still just another video game promo shirt.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I think if I brought home another video game promo shirt, my wife would cut off my balls. For this reason, I try to stay away from them - even though some of them are actually quite nice.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i greatly dislike white promo t-shirts.
    I wish people dreamed of t-shirt promo in COLOUR!

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Is it white? It's probably huge, too. Bah.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »

I don't know if it's white, but odds are it is.

Even black would be passable.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Black doesn't cut it, either - especially if you have cats, like I do. It doesn't matter how careful I am, I can never make it out the door without some remnant of kitty on any black clothing I wear.

LCDXX on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »

Black doesn't cut it, either - especially if you have cats, like I do. It doesn't matter how careful I am, I can never make it out the door without some remnant of kitty on any black clothing I wear.

I have a pom/spitz and I suffer from the same problem.
    however, i often wear sweaters around the house to combat this.

EDIT: partial de-rail...

I bet Kratos doesn't have this problem when fighting the morping dog things that are kinda cute looking at first and then morph and eat your face.
    It took me forever to remember that I can freeze them to make the kill.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I wouldn't mind a promo t-shirt, but I sure as hell wouldn't take a step out of my house in it if it's crappy bad horrible. You know, they are good when walking around the house and you don't want to use one of your better ones.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just bought this and Twilight Princess. It's gonna be a good weekend.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just bought this and Twilight Princess. It's gonna be a good weekend.

Have fun trying to keep your brain from caving in on itself while you decide which to play first!

Antishow on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I'm at the part where you're riding Pegasus
    How the fuck do I do this? There's some guy shooting purple things at me and I can dodge the first three shots but the last one has 5 balls and is impossible to dodge. Then Pegasus goes out of control and starts twisting around, and there's an icon at the bottom that seems to be telling me to shake the control stick back and forth, but that does nothing

The Cheese on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I need to stop pre-ordering shit like this from amazon. My expected delievery date just magically turned into the 21st or later.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    I need to stop pre-ordering shit like this from amazon. My expected delievery date just magically turned into the 21st or later.

That blows.
    Like, a lot.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DemosthornDemosthorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just got GoW2 and (prepare for big surprise)... It's really good.

Demosthorn on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I also just picked up the game and it's amazing. The combos are more finely tuned, so I was immediately racking up combos in the 2 and 3 hundreds without thinking about it. It's not "easier," rather the combat system feels even tighter than before.

Yay! Back to the game now.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Then Pegasus goes out of control and starts twisting around, and there's an icon at the bottom that seems to be telling me to shake the control stick back and forth, but that does nothing
    shaking the left stick back and forth should fix that. It'll happen several times with the ravens that like to bum rush you. I never actually hit the water though. Breaking the raven's neck with your hands is quite fun though ;)

And yeah, God of War II is just great. Very few games make me laugh like a madman when I'm playing them :) .

There have been a couple frustrating parts, where it wasn't immediatly obvious what I was supposed to do next. But I was prepared for frustration, as I nearly broke a controller playing the first game :p .

Selner

Selner on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The_Cheese wrote: »
    So I'm at the part where you're riding Pegasus
    How the fuck do I do this? There's some guy shooting purple things at me and I can dodge the first three shots but the last one has 5 balls and is impossible to dodge. Then Pegasus goes out of control and starts twisting around, and there's an icon at the bottom that seems to be telling me to shake the control stick back and forth, but that does nothing

Yeah, that's actually how that sequence is suppoed to happen, you can't avoid the last one. Just shake the stick like a madman.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I totally can't figure out how to get into the
    Fates' castle. The stupid doors shut before I can get to them.

Nevermind, I figured it out. Jesus fuck that's stupid. I barely even saw them lying around.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Picked up GoW2 today.

I had mixed feelings on the first God of War, but I'm very willing to give this one a fair chance. My main hope is that the storytelling is a little more solid than in the previous installment.

Kami on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This one focuses more on mythology overall and in particular the Titans and the Olympians rather than just kratos. He's just sort of caught in the middle.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Nevermind, I figured it out. Jesus fuck that's stupid. I barely even saw them lying around.

Be less vague with your spoilers dude, it's a good thing you didn't actually spoil anything significant otherwise I would have been pissed.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This one focuses more on mythology overall and in particular the Titans and the Olympians rather than just kratos. He's just sort of caught in the middle.

Actually, that sounds pretty rad. I think it'd help the mythos if the other characters in the world were more fleshed out.

This is good news.

Kami on
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ares' second form, however, was utterly brutal. I'm not used to boss fights where a good half of the guy's attacks are effectively one-hit kills.

Yea, about that...
    Two of the guys were SF nuts. Which I love. However, I do not love the Shun Goku Satsu when I'm not using it. This would explain Ares' unblockable rape move. I wiped the floor with the entire game on God Mode, and I've only beaten him a few times now.

Before this month (w/l): 1-48202895
    Now: 5-55498943

Fuck that guy. Stabbing him in the goddamn neck wasn't enough. I wanted Kratos to follow him down to Hades and kick his ass again.

But yes, this gets here soon. I'm spending Friday and Sunday playing this.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    One thing's kind of bothering me...it seems like Kratos is pretty much invincible at this point. I mean

spoilers for after you get out of Rhodes in god of war II:
    This is the second time he's been sent to Hades only to come back as if it's nothing. It's like there's pretty much no way to permanently kill him while all the other gods and immortal beings seem to go down for the count with no chance of returning.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man this game is awesome.

It's got one of the best moves ever. Use a grab on one of those mutant dog things. Cracks me up everytime.

Pooch on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Be less vague with your spoilers dude, it's a good thing you didn't actually spoil anything significant otherwise I would have been pissed.

It was in spoiler tags. If you don't want a plot point ruined, then don't click the "show spoiler" button.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One thing's kind of bothering me...it seems like Kratos is pretty much invincible at this point. I mean

spoilers for after you get out of Rhodes in god of war II:
    This is the second time he's been sent to Hades only to come back as if it's nothing. It's like there's pretty much no way to permanently kill him while all the other gods and immortal beings seem to go down for the count with no chance of returning.

You're just good. And it probably adds to that whole unstoppable killer thing. I'm expecting him to kill all the gods for three and end the era. That's what the
    picture on the bottom on Pandora's Temple, just before you get to the box points to. The man challenging Zeus. And if you've seen the cutscenes, you know that Kratos is Zeus' son, and caused his mother's death. Along with Ares causing his family's death, and Hades luring his brother, he's got a lot of reasons to see every god dead.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol