As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gaming encounters of the left field kind

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That video shows up in approximately 33% of all threads on the PA Forums.

Houn on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mwoody wrote: »
    System Shock 2. Finally, uh, meeting Polito. I hadn't played the first one, either - I had no idea what the fuck was going on.

Middle of a sunny day, other people in the room, lights on, and STILL chilled me to the core. I caught myself physically backing away from the computer, arms up in a defensive stance.

I reached that point late at night. I was kinda young at the time, too.

D:

MechMantis on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »
    System Shock 2. Finally, uh, meeting Polito. I hadn't played the first one, either - I had no idea what the fuck was going on.

Middle of a sunny day, other people in the room, lights on, and STILL chilled me to the core. I caught myself physically backing away from the computer, arms up in a defensive stance.

I reached that point late at night. I was kinda young at the time, too.

D:

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm shocked....shocked...that this thread went 6 pages without mentioning the ending of Chrono Trigger
    or should I say endings
    Especially the one where everyone is a reptile person

None of those really surprised me, though. I'm usually pretty good at predicting twists and such.
    you predicted everyone were reptile people?

SPOILERS, dude. SPOILERS.
    Spoilers for a game that is older than Miley Cyrus?

What's the difference between Chrono Trigger and Miley Cyrus?

Chrono Trigger is legal

Robman on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    One that pops into my head is Mirror's Edge.

Hey, it's a game about running and parkour and finding the best routes to the finish line and evading the bad guys! Awesome!

Then at some point the game magically transforms into a third-rate FPS where huge mobs of armed soldiers are fully equipped to kick your weaponless ass. That really turned me off to finishing the game.

Slide kick their balls man, best weapon in the game.:lol:

Test of Faith may have been a pun on her name but it was definitely a test of fucking patience.
    It's a nice challenge. I got that the first time I played.

Now I can shoot all the motherfuckers on hard.

Gorilla Salad on
  • jotjot Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Post Blue wrote: »
    deowolf wrote: »
    I remember talking all colors of shit to some Dremora Lord in a bar in Morrowind, trying to provike an attack so that I could retaliate and steal the armor from his body. He was a polite, soft-spoken guy who seemed impervious to insult, quietly dismissing my cuts at him, until... out of nowhere and with no perceptible transition he said, "after I murder you, I am going to rape your corpse. But don't worry, I'll be gentle".

I imagine someone at Bethesda was pretty confident that no play-tester/screener would drill down that deeply. 0_0

I - I don't ever recall seeing this. Was this in a mod, or - what bar? I need to go experience this.
    Okay, I played Morrowind for a month straight immediately after its release in 2002, and I haven’t touched it since. As such I played the original game, as released, and, to the best of my knowledge, un-patched. Certainly unmodded. That was more than seven years ago, and the only detail from that surprising encounter that I can truly swear by is the dialogue. Honestly, I don’t even remember if a Dremora Lord is really what you call those types of guys -- it’s just the first thing that came to mind. He had two dainty little horns on his forehead; I seem to remember him being clad in black and red. As I recall, in the building where I found him, after walking down one flight of stairs I saw him leaning against a wall to my right. The room was populated with several other lively NPCs, but he struck me as someone worth talking to.

I'm late as fuck on this, but IIRC, that's part of a quest for the Dunmer temple guild thing. You've got to taunt this Daedra standing around in a temple in, I don't know, it's a pretty small city with the same kind of architecture like Ald'ruhn.

jot on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Those that have played/read the LP for Darkseed 2 will get this.

Here Michael this will explain everything!*

*does not explain anything

SkutSkut on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What about Kings Quest 1? You know... The Puzzle!
    Man having to guess someones name spelled backwards with a backwards alfphabet is just insane for a puzzle
    That puzzle was early in the Adventure game craze too.

Jubal77 on
    edited July 2009
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    What about Kings Quest 1? You know... The Puzzle!
    Man having to guess someones name spelled backwards with a backwards alfphabet is just insane for a puzzle
    That puzzle was early in the Adventure game craze too.

There's plenty in the Kings Quest series, the one I most remember is from 5 though, going out into the woods and
    getting turned into a frog, not knowing the witch lived there, never found out how to deal with her either.

Or 6, with the racist chess pieces

SkutSkut on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009
    924888_20041115_790screen002.jpg

Opium on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That game is so weird.

3cl1ps3 on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That game is so weird.

What was it?

Tamin on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009
    Tamin wrote: »

That game is so weird.

What was it?

Sprung.

Opium on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SprungGameSS.jpg

Oh god, the responses and facial expressions are hilarious.

Houn on
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Somehow I managed to start playing Kingdom Hearts II without first hearing about it on the Internet.

Yeah.

"Who the hell is this guy, oh gawd MINIGAMES, why is it so BOOOOORING?"

Similarly, I played through MGS2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and somehow managed to not hear about the Raiden thing for the past 7 years.

I wasn't very happy.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Somehow I managed to start playing Kingdom Hearts II without first hearing about it on the Internet.

Yeah.

Similarly, I played through MGS2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and somehow managed to not hear about the Raiden thing for the past 7 years.
    That is actually pretty impressive in and of itself.

Kinda like that guy who only started playing OoT last week (and had never played Melee or Brawl etc.) and was afraid to be spoiled about Ganon's "secret identity".

Opium on
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah.

Kinda like that guy who only started playing OoT last week (and had never played Melee or Brawl etc.) and was afraid to be spoiled about Ganon's "secret identity".

Don't you mean Sheik? I don't think Ganon hides shit in OoT.

CJTheran on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009
    CJTheran wrote: »

Yeah.

Don't you mean Sheik? I don't think Ganon hides shit in OoT.
    Ganondorf.

Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous too.

Opium on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RE: Dunmer necrophelia: good god.

Even worse than that is the Lusty Argonian Maid.

Todd Howard isn't funny, and should go die.

Edith Upwards on
  • mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The time travel / gas-filled mine puzzle in Sorcerer. I remain convinced that no one, ever, anywhere has solved it without a FAQ or its prehistoric equivalent.

So perhaps the actual "WTF" moment for this one was finally giving up and reading the set of instructions required to finish it.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The time travel / gas-filled mine puzzle in Sorcerer. I remain convinced that no one, ever, anywhere has solved it without a FAQ or its prehistoric equivalent.

Ah... I knew I should have been able to think of a few contributions for this thread, but I'd completely forgotten text adventures existed. My memory is too fuzzy on the more obscure entries like Sorcerer, but I can recall a few classics:

> kill dragon
    With what? Your bare hands?
    > yes
    You kill the dragon with your bare hands.

> take no tea

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • kingmeh123kingmeh123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's become so commonplace in the later entries of the series, but I remember playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 as a kid, unlocking Spider-Man as a secret character, and being completely blown away.

kingmeh123 on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    RE: Dunmer necrophelia: good god.

Even worse than that is the Lusty Argonian Maid.

Todd Howard isn't funny, and should go die.

Maybe not to you non-scalies...

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just finished Traquility Lane in Fallout 3 yesterday.

That was fucking out of NOWHERE.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd call some of the endings in Chrono Trigger fucked up and unexpected. Right now I'm specifically thinking of the one you get for beating Lavos right after returning from the middle ages for the first time.
    Frog marries the queen and the royal family in the present are frog people? What. The. Fuck.

Peewi on
  • SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pretty much everything in Disgaea is out of left field.

You play as a demon fighting other demons in the netherworld until some point in the middle of the game where a spaceship crashes into the netherworld and a Buck-Rogers type character shows up with his robot.

Serule on
    edited July 2009
    Serule wrote: »
    Pretty much everything in Disgaea is out of left field.

You play as a demon fighting other demons in the netherworld until some point in the middle of the game where a spaceship crashes into the netherworld and a buck-rogers type character shows up with his robot.

Don't forget about the horse weiner, and Etnas ramblings/violent temper, and Laharls weakness to large breast.

SkutSkut on
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    At this point I'm not sure if it's my memory playing tricks on me or my adolescent mind of the time making excuses for sucking.

But I swear to god, playing Metal Gear Solid 2, while trying to cross over a narrow pipe, a bird shat on the pipe, I slipped on it and died.

Was not happy.

Namrok on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Namrok wrote: »
    At this point I'm not sure if it's my memory playing tricks on me or my adolescent mind of the time making excuses for sucking.

But I swear to god, playing Metal Gear Solid 2, while trying to cross over a narrow pipe, a bird shat on the pipe, I slipped on it and died.

Was not happy.

Ahahah yeah.

I know which part you're talking about.

I nearly pissed myself laughing at that part.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nope, that happens.

Also, a guard pees on you. Then you can call the Colonel and he's all like "I guess that's why we call it wetworks!"

UnbreakableVow on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A lot of things in this thread from MGS2. One that I thought was really weird is if you call Pliskin to ask him about Vamp, you get a conversation something like this:
    "He was trapped in a church for three days while he waited to be rescued, and survived by drinking the blood of his family."
    "Oh, so that's why they call him Vamp."
    "No, that's because he's bisexual."

What? Also, why are you telling me this?

AnteCantelope on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Because it gives the smouldering look in his eyes as you rumble with him a whole new meaning

Robman on
  • Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Silent Hill 4 weirdness that could be considered spoilerish:
    SH4.jpg

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Once, when I was small and playing Doom II, I entered some standard cheat codes. God Mode, NoClip, etc.

For some reason, some confluence of events I cannot fathom, the three Imps currently attacking me got those powers too.

It was fucked up. I'd run from them, their fireballs still hurting me while no other monster could touch me. I'd hide in walls, and they'd find me. I would run out of the level, and they would just pop out of three different places and sloooowly walk towards me.

It was creepy.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Skexis wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_8WTdn0doA

7:52 onward

Up until that point, you find yourself running across the top of a helicopter.
    That's right. On the blades.

Hahahahah.
    That was awsome!!

[EDIT] Oh crap, I replied 3 pages too late, I guess I'll have to mention something left field then. How about MGS3 when the
    General Dude-with-lightning-arms feels up the raiden-copy's crotch. Was that really called for. And if so, why?

Movitz on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    :GWAAAAAH WHAT THE FUCK:
    And thanks for spoilin' it, jerk.

Sorenson on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    **SNIPPED creepy image of a giant head staring***

o_O
    What in the Hell?

Okay, I know it's a Silent Hill image...but...What the hell?? o_O

Damn it, that image is going to be in my head for the rest of the day. And probably tonight! Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Space Quest 4 had a part where you went back in time to Space Quest 1 and all the graphics reverted back to CGA except for your character. Some NPCs got pissed about you having so many colors and hilarity ensued.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    Skexis wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_8WTdn0doA

7:52 onward

Up until that point, you find yourself running across the top of a helicopter.
    That's right. On the blades.

Hahahahah.
    That was awsome!!

[EDIT] Oh crap, I replied 3 pages too late, I guess I'll have to mention something left field then. How about MGS3 when the
    General Dude-with-lightning-arms feels up the raiden-copy's crotch. Was that really called for. And if so, why?

They were lovers.
    Really.

In fact, pretty much everyone in MGS is Bisexual.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Marikir wrote: »
    **SNIPPED creepy image of a giant head staring***

o_O
    What in the Hell?

Okay, I know it's a Silent Hill image...but...What the hell?? o_O

Damn it, that image is going to be in my head for the rest of the day. And probably tonight! Thanks. Thanks a lot.
    Visiting left field in Silent Hill is like firing a gun while riding a bullet.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.