As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Something constructive for the rest of the summer?

DustyBottomsDustyBottoms Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's the deal. I graduated in January with a degree in Music Education. I taught for the rest of the year. I went to Europe for the beginning of July right after school ended. Now I'm left with the remainder of July and all of August to find something to do with myself. I don't expect to be able to find a part time job because I will be starting a full time graduate assistantship in the fall (getting my masters degree out of the way) and don't expect anyone to still be looking to hire for summer only.

So with no expectations of getting a job, and a fully packed schedule for September on, what can I do with this month and a half so that I'm not sitting around twiddling my thumbs all day?

828636-1.png
DustyBottoms on

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here's the deal. I graduated in January with a degree in Music Education. I taught for the rest of the year. I went to Europe for the beginning of July right after school ended. Now I'm left with the remainder of July and all of August to find something to do with myself. I don't expect to be able to find a part time job because I will be starting a full time graduate assistantship in the fall (getting my masters degree out of the way) and don't expect anyone to still be looking to hire for summer only.

So with no expectations of getting a job, and a fully packed schedule for September on, what can I do with this month and a half so that I'm not sitting around twiddling my thumbs all day?
    Give music lessons for a small fee or pro bono.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    DustyBottomsDustyBottoms Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Should have mentioned that I do that already, sorry. That's where my Saturday mornings go :)

DustyBottoms on
    828636-1.png
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is totally and completely out of left field but you might see if there is a center for the Habitat for Humanity in your area where you could volunteer for a little while. It is quite literally constructive as you'll be doing some rather basic assembly of homes for people who would otherwise not be able to afford them. Dependent on the needs of your local Habitat group you may even be able to do more than just build site stuff which might lead to something you would be able to consider marketable experience as well. Not that as a teacher you'll need to be able to build parts of a house but I've always felt having a wide range of skills was never a bad thing. If worse comes to worse you'll know how to do a little work on your own house in the future.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Volunteering is a good idea. I did some at the Humane Society and it was definitely rewarding.

Quid on