As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pro Wrestling: RIP Captain Lou Albano

LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI

This is a thread where we can talk about the fascinating and frustrating world of professional wrestling. To all the haters: yes, we are aware it is sweaty guys in tights fondling each other. So what? It's HOT. Deal with it.

There's tons of wrestling companies out there to talk about, but here's some of the major ones:

World Wrestling Entertainment
wwe_logo.jpg

The WWE is by far the company to beat in the business, not just here in America, but worldwide. It's owned by insane self-proclaimed billionaire, Vince McMahon. WWE runs a grand total of four TV shows every week, and so many pay-per-views I've lost count. World Wrestling Entertainment is the company that personifies "sports entertainment" and the one that created the term in the first place. The WWE tends to focus on larger, more bulked-up wrestlers, and features power and brawling styles most frequently. It is often criticized for not building up it's young, new talent enough, and for treating smaller wrestlers, women, and tag teams as a afterthought. However, some of the best wrestlers in the world work for the WWE, and it can't be denied that despite the promotion's flaws, they are able to put on a really good show.

Where to watch

Raw - Monday nights on the USA Network(The Score in Canada)
ECW - Tuesday nights on Syfy(Friday nights on Global in Canada)
Superstars - Thursday nights on WGN(Sunday nights in Canada)
Smackdown - Friday nights on My Network TV(The Score in Canada)

Current Champions
WWE Champion - Randy Orton

World Heavyweight Champion - CM Punk

United States Champion - Kofi Kingston

Intercontinental Champion - Rey Mysterio

Unified Tag Team Champions - Edge & Chris Jericho

ECW Champion - Tommy Dreamer

Divas Champion - Maryse

Women's Champion - Michelle McCool

Total Nonstop Action
TNA%20Logo.jpg

TNA is the number two company in the USA, but don't let that fool you into thinking they're a threat to the WWE machine. TNA once presented itself as a real alternative to the WWE, but instead they've turned themselves into a poor copy of it(or depending on who you ask, a poor copy of WCW) by constantly misusing a great talent roster and writing the dumbest storylines in the wrestling world. The great wrestlers are there, but unfortunately they don't get to shine enough, with management content to shove old-timers down the fanbase's collective throat. It's not all bad, though. The women's division is mainstream women's wrestling done right, with talent coming before looks. They also have much better cruiserweight and tag team action than the WWE, and a more varied roster when it comes to size and style. So it may be worth checking out if you can stomach the terrible storylines and booking. They put on monthly pay-per-view events, and have one weekly TV show.

Where to watch

Impact - Thursday nights on Spike TV.

Current Champions
champs7909.jpg

Ring Of Honor
0c31fcae-08e1-437f-9277-a1a55c95aed2.jpg

Ring of Honor is the USA's #1 indy fed by far. It's been around for about seven and a half years, and in that time has delivered some of the best shows and matches of the modern era of American pro wrestling. Many stars first made their name in ROH, such as Samoa Joe, CM Punk, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Brian Kendrick, Paul London, Homicide, and Evan Bourne. The ROH roster is a collection of some of the best unsigned talent in this part of the world, and they frequently bring in some great guys from other countries as guest stars. However, ROH has been in a bit of a slump lately. Shows have been hit or miss, and the new TV show hasn't really taken off, both from an exposure and a quality point of view. Things just haven't been the same ever since they fired and replaced their head booker. For the past couple years they were airing pay-per-view events every two months. However, they have stopped for now. ROH has a TV show, but most of the best and most important stuff can be found on their DVDs, which is the bread and butter of any indy fed. The TV show is meant to be a taste, while te DVDs are the full meal.

Where to watch

ROH on HDNet - Saturday nights on, well, HDNet. The episodes also get uploaded to Youtube after a little while.

Current Champions
aries2.jpg
World Champion - Austin Aries

davey3.jpgeddieroster.jpg
World Tag Team Champions - The American Wolves(Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards)

Other notable American indy feds: Pro Wrestling Guerrila, CHIKARA, Dragon Gate USA.

Aside from all the companies found on our corner of the world, good wrestling can be found everywhere. Japanese wrestling, or puroresu, and Mexican wrestling, or lucha libre, are both worth looking into if you want to broaden your horizons.

Upcoming events

TNA Victory Road - Live on ppv July 19th
World Heavyweight Championship - Kurt Angle vs. Mick Foley
Legends Championship - AJ Styles vs. Kevin Nash
World Tag Team Championship - Beer Money, Inc. vs. Booker T & Scott Steiner
Sharmell vs. Jenna Morasca
Matt Morgan vs. Christopher Daniels
Samoa Joe vs. Sting

WWE Night of Champions - Live on ppv July 26th
WWE Championship Triple Threat - Randy orton vs. Triple H vs. John Cena
World Heavyweight Championship - CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy
ECW Championship - Tommy Dreamer vs. Christian
Unified Tag Team Championship - Chris Jericho & ??? vs. The Legacy
Divas Championship - Maryse vs. Mickie James

ROH Death Before Dishonor VII weekend - taped July 24th & 25th in Toronto
Several matches featured, including:
ROH World Championship Four-Corner Survival - Austin Aries vs. Tyler Black vs. Nigel McGuinness vs. Jerry Lynn
Kenny Omega vs. Kenny King
8-Man Elimination Tag - The Embassy vs. Necro Butcher, Colt Cabana, Brent Albright, & Grizzly Redwood
Lance Storm vs. Chris Hero
and many more, including a special appearance from Bret Hart

And finally...Botchamania!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_X58Bvwgg&feature=channel_page

LockedOnTarget on

• Options
    zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any word on when 'Taker and HBK are coming back? They put on one hell of a match at WM and they just disappeared after.

zychi on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Someone in the last thread said that Michaels is taking off until they start doing build up for the next Wrestlemania. Taker is taking time off too, but I have no idea until when.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Something tells me they'll both be retiring soon.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Wondered if someone else was going to make a thread...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone else really enjoy this weeks ECW until the Dreamer match?

Sidenote: They need to quit teasing and bring Hurricane back already.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ECW was alright. First half was definately better than the second half.

I question the wisdom of jobbing out both the champ and the number one contender in the same night.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not really sure what they are doing with Koldslaw anymore, especially now that they have another annoying big man on ECW to fill his role. Ezekiel may not be from Russia but he is all kinds of annoying.

Though discussing this further reminds me someone really needs to order Zack Ryder a pair of finished pants. That getup he's wearing now is just, silly.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Who are the four seated wrestlers in the "It's still real to me damn it!" video?

Gim on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009

If they do it right now it's be great because that was a hell of a match to retire on.

But knowing Michaels he'll choose the worst angle to retire in the middle of.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

If they do it right now it's be great because that was a hell of a match to retire on.

But knowing Michaels he'll choose the worst angle to retire in the middle of.

The return of Katie Vick?!

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any word on who Jericho's partner will be now that Edge is injured?

SarcasmoBlaster on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    Wondered if someone else was going to make a thread...

Me too. I love this thread.

Christian needs a run with the WHC.

What I think will happen is they will have Christian lose the title match against Dreamer, then Jericho introduces him as his "new" tag partner.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

What I think will happen is they will have Christian lose the title match against Dreamer, then Jericho introduces him as his "new" tag partner.

This could lead up into either a good feud between edge and christian as Christian replaced edge in the championship team, or they could both turn around and double cross Jericho and re-team.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »

This could lead up into either a good feud between edge and christian as Christian replaced edge in the championship team, or they could both turn around and double cross Jericho and re-team.

My thoughts exactly.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    Who are the four seated wrestlers in the "It's still real to me damn it!" video?

The three I recognized were Bobby Eaton, Jim Cornette and Terry Funk. According to the "It's still real to me, dammit!" Guy's website, the fourth guy is Dennis Condrey.

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Gim wrote: »

The three I recognized were Bobby Eaton, Jim Cornette and Terry Funk. According to the "It's still real to me, dammit!" Guy's website, the fourth guy is Dennis Condrey.

Man, one of these things just doesn't belong.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.

If they put Edge and Christian back together in the tag team scene I would be so happy. They made a great tag team even back in the *Shudder* Brood days.

Plus the Billy Gunn'ing it thing from them was the best thing ever.

Speaking of which. Is Billy Gunn Mick Foley's 'maintance guy' on TNA. Cause it sure as hell looks like him.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If Edge starts tagging with Christian it'll be a step back for him. I loved E & C, but I actually think Edge is above that now.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I am so tired of that magic effing midget, It will please me to no end the next time Mysterio gets "injured" or, one could only hope, he gets fired/quits. I hate how Koldslaw coming out and speaking russian is somehow a bad thing, but Magic Midget can spit spanish and the crowd eats it up. I mean I know he's Mini-Cena and all but good lord his whole gimmick is so overdone now it really makes it hard to watch anything he's involved in. There are literally tons of hardworking Luchadors who would absolutely love to be in Mysterio's shoes, a lot more talented ones as well.

I used to love Mysterio in the "old days" but this Mini-Cena thing just has to end.

[/wrestlenerd rant]

I'm really interested to see where this whole Jericho thing goes though, it is a great opportunity to get some killer matches in, regardless of how it goes. Even if its as simple as Jericho / Ziggler (who is basically a young heel version of Y2J at this point) thats a nice combo that would give Ziggler great exposure.
    This friday they are advertising a Ziggler/Jericho vs Mysterio/Jeff Hardy match so it should be interesting to see what comes of it.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    If Edge starts tagging with Christian it'll be a step back for him. I loved E & C, but I actually think Edge is above that now.

Well, he can only look down because of his GIGANTIC FUCKING EYEBROW

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I am so tired of that magic effing midget, It will please me to no end the next time Mysterio gets "injured" or, one could only hope, he gets fired/quits. I hate how Koldslaw coming out and speaking russian is somehow a bad thing, but Magic Midget can spit spanish and the crowd eats it up. I mean I know he's Mini-Cena and all but good lord his whole gimmick is so overdone now it really makes it hard to watch anything he's involved in. There are literally tons of hardworking Luchadors who would absolutely love to be in Mysterio's shoes, a lot more talented ones as well.

I used to love Mysterio in the "old days" but this Mini-Cena thing just has to end.

[/wrestlenerd rant]

I'm really interested to see where this whole Jericho thing goes though, it is a great opportunity to get some killer matches in, regardless of how it goes. Even if its as simple as Jericho / Ziggler (who is basically a young heel version of Y2J at this point) thats a nice combo that would give Ziggler great exposure.
    This friday they are advertising a Ziggler/Jericho vs Mysterio/Jeff Hardy match so it should be interesting to see what comes of it.

It's mostly because he actually had other small dudes to wrestle in WCW. In WWF they just keep putting him against the tallest guy they can find at the time, and just make Chavo job to someone even smaller than Mysterio.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well thats not really true anymore. He has a ton of REALLY good talent he could wrestle against including the likes of Evan Bourne and Kofi Kingston (yes I'm aware they are RAW brand, but when has that *ever* mattered before in wrestling).

He also would have no trouble being convincing against a CM Punk, Jeff Hardy, Edge, and many of the newer guys. I think a feud between Yoshi Tatsu and Rey in about 6 months to turn Mysterio into more of a tweener would be great for both involved.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah there is a lot of new talent comming in the superstar inititive that could be promising. Only 2 giant guys I've seen. Eziekial and the guy who glows in the freaking dark, Shamus. Yoshi would be good to put against Rey, and I'd love to see Rey and Evan Bourne fued for a bit. I still think Rey and Bourne had one of the best matches at the WWE Draft.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I really really don't like Ezekiel. Not even a heel dislike type of dislike, I just, can't stand him. I guess that is a good thing if he's going to be the incredible bulk for awhile.

edit: How does he spell his name anyhow, I must look this up.
    edit2: Ezekiel.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've liked Yoshi Tatsu in his ECW matches

But Sheamus is so fucking pale

And hurry the fuck up with the Hurricane or at least say it is the Hurricane instead of this masked mystery man

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »
    I've liked Yoshi Tatsu in his ECW matches

But Sheamus is so fucking pale

And hurry the fuck up with the Hurricane or at least say it is the Hurricane instead of this masked mystery man

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I believe Edge has said just this. But a few tag matches together wouldn't be out of the question.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I believe Edge has said just this. But a few tag matches together wouldn't be out of the question.

How about Edge & Matt Hardy vs Christian & Jeff Hardy?

Just once. At a payperview. With no Dudleys.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

How about Edge & Matt Hardy vs Christian & Jeff Hardy?

Just once. At a payperview. With no Dudleys.

That was what I was hoping for at Wrestlemania.

Then Edge won his 8th world title.

Then I didn't care.

But it would be awesome for a smaller PPV, I would actually go out to Hooters and watch it.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh wow finally got around to watching Smackdown and:
    Jericho Super heeling on Edge, wow thats so great. I hope Edge does come back as a face, good chance with this, but Chris Jericho was just perfect in that bit.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes, Jericho is awesomely hateable. He can even make me think his face is punchable, when it usually isn't.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I always preferred him as a face even if he is a good heel.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really dug the Punk/Hardy promo. I think they're working really well together.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I dunno Rez. Something about the Punk/Hardy thing is just getting far too personal feeling. Even for the writers. I think the fact that last weeks' Smackdown (I think, i watched 2 weeks last night on my dvr) when Jeff was down at ringside for Punk's match, and Jeff stayed silent for the entire match. That was a little telling to me. The entire 'rehab and 3 strikes' thing was unexpected on Jeffs part. And he was pissed off.

That being said, I'm pleased that the writers seem to be taking their time with Punk's Heel turn. Which is almost obvious to me that it's happening.

I am hating the big men. Kane/Khali, grrrr. so boring. The best thing lately with the big men was Big Show & seth Green. And that's sad for me to say.

I am really enjoying watching Kofi Kingston, Evan Bourne, and John Morrison. Although John Morrison bugs me a bit. His abs are just too picture perfect. He's nice to look at, don't get me wrong, but they're just way too.... textbook.

I haven't been watching ecw, keep forgetting to set that to record, but i can agree with the Edge/Jericho/Christian thing. Out of the 3 of them, I think Christian is the one that actually looks almost as good as he did when they started back when.

And I think that's all my thoughts for the moment.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nah, Punk's promo was planned. Everything in the WWE is pretty much completely scripted these days. Jeff was just acting the way he should be acting, that's all. Triple H and Matt Hardy have brought up the drug problems in promos, too.

This is Punk at his true character, the character that worked so well for him in the indies. The straight-edge guy that looks down on everyone else. I'm so happy to finally see him allowed to be what he's best at.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    eh. I dunno. I realize it probably is completely scripted like that. But still, that kinda seems like something that should be kept to the back of the script, not front and foremost. But maybe that's just me wanting to keep real life and wrestling a bit apart. not completely, but a little bit.

Edit:: oh a 2nd thought.

Has anybody picked up the tag-teams DVD that they're putting out? Is it worth it? I honestly havent wanted a wrestling dvd other than that one so far.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    WWE seems to be really trying to blur the lines between real life and wrestling over the past year. What with the Fake press releases put out as real ones, and all of the real life like story lines. Before this, the only story line I know of that was real life then brought into the ring was the matt hardy v. edge thing with lita, but that sort of was pushed into the spot light by the fans in a way.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It seemed to me in that "2 Strikes" Promo two weeks ago when Punk brought up the drug thing he actually hesitated a bit like he disliked that part of the script. Might be looking to much into it but just what I felt from that promo. I do like this 'new' Punk. Makes him alot more fun to watch.

Speaking of promos. Abyss' promo from Impact was a bit hard to watch. I can watch guys get pile drived, suplex, double arm DDT, and pedigreed into thumb tacks but watching him jam them slowly into his arm one at a time was a bit creepy. I do like they seem to be gearing to unleash the monster once more. Just watching the tacks going into his skin up close just triggered some wierd recess in my head.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    This is the same company that had Orton say that Eddie was in hell when his death was still pretty fresh in most people's mind. Bringing up someone's past drug problems are par the course.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So who does everyone think Chris Jericho is going to pick for his partner? I'm sort of at a loss at this point because everyone I would suggest is involved in a match.

Amikron Devalia on
This discussion has been closed.