Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Bitching About Bad Comics Thread

1246763

Posts

  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yes

    that is exactly what I mean

    anjin you got my back dogg

  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't mind The Hood being used as a major villain, but i really hate it when he's written as all mustache twirly.

    I much prefer the way Parker is handling him in the Dark Reign mini, not that bad a guy but into some seriously shady shit, who's keeping control because he doesn't pull all the stupid 'mwuhahahaha!' *shoots a henchman* bullshit, but looks after his crew.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't think Bendis writes him all the "mustache twirly" to begin with. He seems to take care of his crew pretty well in New Avengers, and I don't recall him shooting any of his henchmen just for kicks. I will say his personality is better explored in Jeff Parker's mini and that Cabal one-shot story.

  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hate, hate when Batman gets put in big, universe spanning events or whatever and ends up anywhere near the frontlines.

    You know what makes Batman interesting? He's a regular guy who, through determination and intelligence, has built himself into a force of justice in his town. But that gets forgotten because everyone has such a huge boner for him that he has to end up front and center of all these big events. Which, fine, I understand that, you have to sell issues, whatever. But then the next week there's a storyline where he's barely beating the Penguin, or some crime boss or something, and all I can think of "I just read a story where he got in a fistfight with Darkseid while Superman watched in awe and I'm supposed to take this story seriously?"

    And then there's the time to prepare thing. Fuck that in it's fucking ear. Not only is it the worst goddamned thing that keeps popping up over and over again on the internet, it's lazy fucking writing when it gets used. "oh no! batman's in trouble! oh wait, this was all part of his elaborate plan to deal with this exact, highly specialized situation!" (This is pretty much why I don't like Grant Morrison's Batman)

    And Tower of Babel? I don't understand why everyone loves it so much. I mean, I guess I know, but jesus, people.

    Any time he fights Superman, he should die. I hate that everyone's like, "Well, with enough planning, Viagra and Kryptonite blah blah!"

    WHILE YOU WERE THINKING THAT HE JUST KILLED BATS THREE TIMES!

    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I don't think Bendis writes him all the "mustache twirly" to begin with. He seems to take care of his crew pretty well in New Avengers, and I don't recall him shooting any of his henchmen just for kicks. I will say his personality is better explored in Jeff Parker's mini and that Cabal one-shot story.

    see if he did anything like this in New Avengers he might be interesting

    but no

    you are right, he doesn't go mustache twirly

    he doesn't do anything remotely interesting other than recruit terrible villains

    he is like a boring Kingpin

    so boooooring

  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any time he fights Superman, he should die. I hate that everyone's like, "Well, with enough planning, Viagra and Kryptonite blah blah!"

    WHILE YOU WERE THINKING THAT HE JUST KILLED BATS THREE TIMES!

    Why should Luthor be considered a threat to Superman if Batman isn't one as well?

    And you know, I like when heroes employ strategy and utilize obscure contingency plans. There should be a reasonable limit to what you can prepare for, however, and it'd be nice if Batman's writers heeded that limit so that those instances where the character performs brilliantly stand out instead of seeming like another Mary Sue moment.

    As for the Hood, I still don't understand how he became the new Kingpin anyway. All his strategy comes down to is paying a lot of C-Listers really well. If Osborn or any other rich villain wanted, he could just buy the Hood out.

  • TexiKenTexiKen you come after me because you can't arrest a land mass Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OK, motion comics suck. People either want a comic, or an animated movie. Not this inbetween crap that seems to be nothing more than the crudest of flash animations with bad voices.

    It's not the future of comics. Quit wasting time and resources for voices and other crap and just scan the fucking comic in and sell it to us for $1.50.

    toi4_zps910c80c7.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    crimsondude I can help you love spider-man again

    I never loved Spider-Man. It's not like I was reading, let alone collecting, his books with regularity when I would read them in the '80s. I mainly read them because everyone else I knew read them.

  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2009
    Any time he fights Superman, he should die. I hate that everyone's like, "Well, with enough planning, Viagra and Kryptonite blah blah!"

    WHILE YOU WERE THINKING THAT HE JUST KILLED BATS THREE TIMES!

    Why should Luthor be considered a threat to Superman if Batman isn't one as well?

    And you know, I like when heroes employ strategy and utilize obscure contingency plans. There should be a reasonable limit to what you can prepare for, however, and it'd be nice if Batman's writers heeded that limit so that those instances where the character performs brilliantly stand out instead of seeming like another Mary Sue moment.

    As for the Hood, I still don't understand how he became the new Kingpin anyway. All his strategy comes down to is paying a lot of C-Listers really well. If Osborn or any other rich villain wanted, he could just buy the Hood out.

    Well in a real world, no, Batman will die. Doesnt matter if hes coated in Kryptonite if Superman lunges at him at full speed and absolutely liquifies him. But while Luthor is probably Waynes scientific better, theres no reason he can be a villain to Superman and Batman can't be a counterbalance. Him building some form of super robot bat suit is probably the best way for him to go though.

    ...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    look just read spidey super stories and we won't have any problems

  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hate decompression, or whatever the fuck it's called where something like the the MA fighting Ultron takes a year (granted, it was slow because of Cho, but it was still six issues) to be resolved. I can't help but appreciate something like this:
    Claremont: I remember thinking back to when I was a kid and seeing the coming of Galactus and realizing after the fact that Stan set up, introduced, and resolved Galactus in essentially…it was one issue of set up with the Silver Surfer…and then from Galactus’ entrance to his exit it was an issue in a half. Not even two. Then The Human Torch went off to college. And that was a big event. And I thought, you get on, you say your piece, you get the hell off, and then you move to the next thing and you leave the audience sitting there thinking “Holy cow! What happens next!”
    I recall Bendis defending how he's written these long, drawn-out arcs in the Avengers books as giving room for characters to breathe or some bullshit. Like characters never developed back in the day of, basically, "every issue an event".

  • MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User
    edited July 2009
    I hate, hate when Batman gets put in big, universe spanning events or whatever and ends up anywhere near the frontlines.

    You know what makes Batman interesting? He's a regular guy who, through determination and intelligence, has built himself into a force of justice in his town. But that gets forgotten because everyone has such a huge boner for him that he has to end up front and center of all these big events. Which, fine, I understand that, you have to sell issues, whatever. But then the next week there's a storyline where he's barely beating the Penguin, or some crime boss or something, and all I can think of "I just read a story where he got in a fistfight with Darkseid while Superman watched in awe and I'm supposed to take this story seriously?"

    And then there's the time to prepare thing. Fuck that in it's fucking ear. Not only is it the worst goddamned thing that keeps popping up over and over again on the internet, it's lazy fucking writing when it gets used. "oh no! batman's in trouble! oh wait, this was all part of his elaborate plan to deal with this exact, highly specialized situation!" (This is pretty much why I don't like Grant Morrison's Batman)

    This is the exact reason why every time in my past I've tried to get into reading Batman, it always fails.

    I love the scene in GL: Rebirth when Alan Scott metaphorically says "Sit down, Bats, and let the guys with rings made by a post-Singularity alien race that can channel pure willpower fight this guy."


    kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    WOW was Blackest night bad. The perfect storm of bad dialogue, story masturbation and hamfistedness.

  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    huff huff huff

    Did someone say masturbation and ham in the same sentence

    I got here as soon as I could.

    I haven't read BL but I glanced through it at the shop and there seemed to be so many words.

    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    but were there also pictures

  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hate, hate when Batman gets put in big, universe spanning events or whatever and ends up anywhere near the frontlines.

    You know what makes Batman interesting? He's a regular guy who, through determination and intelligence, has built himself into a force of justice in his town. But that gets forgotten because everyone has such a huge boner for him that he has to end up front and center of all these big events. Which, fine, I understand that, you have to sell issues, whatever. But then the next week there's a storyline where he's barely beating the Penguin, or some crime boss or something, and all I can think of "I just read a story where he got in a fistfight with Darkseid while Superman watched in awe and I'm supposed to take this story seriously?"

    And then there's the time to prepare thing. Fuck that in it's fucking ear. Not only is it the worst goddamned thing that keeps popping up over and over again on the internet, it's lazy fucking writing when it gets used. "oh no! batman's in trouble! oh wait, this was all part of his elaborate plan to deal with this exact, highly specialized situation!" (This is pretty much why I don't like Grant Morrison's Batman)

    And Tower of Babel? I don't understand why everyone loves it so much. I mean, I guess I know, but jesus, people.

    It's funny that you don't like Morrison's Batman since he's actually the one writer that handles your first problem incredibly well. He had Batman play the more stealth/strategist role in JLA, whether it's messing up white martians, infiltrating Darkseid's ranks or just encouraging Superman to fuck up Mageddon. His role in Final Crisis was pretty similar.

    As for your second problem, I think it's been used so many times that Morrison just decided that it's become a trait of the character. I don't really mind it, so long as it's handled well.

    And yeah, Tower of Babel sucks. Mark Waid really doesn't write a good Batman, neither does Geoff Johns.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • TexiKenTexiKen you come after me because you can't arrest a land mass Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Writers are either Superman writers or Batman (Bruce) writers, and it is extremely rare that one can write both well. It's like kids who either like Animaniacs or don't like Animaniacs.

    Waid, Busiek, Johns, Morrison, Byrne, these are all Superman writers.

    Rucka, Winnick, Dini, Dixon, Moench, these are the Batman writers.

    toi4_zps910c80c7.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morrison is both a Batman writer and also not a Batman writer. RIP was just an exercise in Bat-wankery. But Batman and Robin has been oh so good. The story arc with the league of c-list heroes on the island of dr. badguy was pretty good too.

    BN_Sig3.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Any time he fights Superman, he should die. I hate that everyone's like, "Well, with enough planning, Viagra and Kryptonite blah blah!"

    WHILE YOU WERE THINKING THAT HE JUST KILLED BATS THREE TIMES!

    Why should Luthor be considered a threat to Superman if Batman isn't one as well?

    And you know, I like when heroes employ strategy and utilize obscure contingency plans. There should be a reasonable limit to what you can prepare for, however, and it'd be nice if Batman's writers heeded that limit so that those instances where the character performs brilliantly stand out instead of seeming like another Mary Sue moment.

    As for the Hood, I still don't understand how he became the new Kingpin anyway. All his strategy comes down to is paying a lot of C-Listers really well. If Osborn or any other rich villain wanted, he could just buy the Hood out.
    You notice Luthor never EVER EVER wins? Like, he can't. Sometimes he'll briefly come out ahead. With Bats it's like he cannot lose to Superman. This annoys me.
    Well in a real world, no, Batman will die. Doesnt matter if hes coated in Kryptonite if Superman lunges at him at full speed and absolutely liquifies him. But while Luthor is probably Waynes scientific better, theres no reason he can be a villain to Superman and Batman can't be a counterbalance. Him building some form of super robot bat suit is probably the best way for him to go though.

    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Writers are either Superman writers or Batman (Bruce) writers, and it is extremely rare that one can write both well. It's like kids who either like Animaniacs or don't like Animaniacs.

    Waid, Busiek, Johns, Morrison, Byrne, these are all Superman writers.

    Rucka, Winnick, Dini, Dixon, Moench, these are the Batman writers.

    I'd put Morrison and Rucka in both lists. Morrison's written some great Batman stuff across JLA, Batman and Final Crisis. While Rucka's has some really good Superman stuff too, notably in World of New Krypton and his Adventures of Superman run.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Do you seriously think Batman in Final Crisis was good writing? That was the some of the worst parts in a bad story.

    I mean, Batman's life has been so bad that his sad memories drive alien mutant supersoldiers to suicide? Really? His life has been so awful, any lesser being besides Batman couldn't possibly take it. Good thing Daredevil wasn't taken instead, I guess, because he would have been out of that trap in three minutes, all the bad memories that guy has.

  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Do you seriously think Batman in Final Crisis was good writing? That was the some of the worst parts in a bad story.

    I mean, Batman's life has been so bad that his sad memories drive alien mutant supersoldiers to suicide? Really? His life has been so awful, any lesser being besides Batman couldn't possibly take it. Good thing Daredevil wasn't taken instead, I guess, because he would have been out of that trap in three minutes, all the bad memories that guy has.

    I'm pretty sure it wasn't his shitty life that made them go insane but the overwhelming rush of shitty memories, which Batman had triggered by figuring out what they were doing.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2009
    I was wondering why the texture and aroma of Wednesday Comics hasn't inspired in me the same nostalgia that it has in others, seeing as I came up reading the same comics as many others. I realized it's because I've been reading comics for years now that continue to be printed on newspaper stock - many indies, Vertigo books like Hellblazer, and trades like Fables. Anyways.

    Geoff Johns's take on Batman isn't my cup of tea, either. I can't quite place my finger on why. I think it's because his portrayal of Bruce Wayne has lacked many of the character traits that I find enjoyable. His Batman is just very plain - the only common ground his Bruce has with many others from the past ten years has been intensity. But even then, Johns doesn't direct that intensity in the ways I've grown to enjoy.

    Oh, and the whole Batman having a nervous breakdown felt forced and diminished the character in my opinion. I suppose it made for a decent story at the end of the day/arc(s), though it unfolded in a painfully inorganic way.

    #1
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Everything the Fantastic Four have done in their main book or appeared in in the past 5 years is pretty bad.

    Fucking extra Earth for no reason that will never be mentioned again. Goddamn "Doom's Master", super-the-most-best villain that's basically just a 1985 cameo and will, again, never been mentioned again.

    It's like the main book has been a "What If?" for years.

    And their appearances in other books boil down to "Wow, that Reed Richards sure is a world-class cockbite."

  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As for the Hood, I still don't understand how he became the new Kingpin anyway. All his strategy comes down to is paying a lot of C-Listers really well. If Osborn or any other rich villain wanted, he could just buy the Hood out.

    I think the way we were meant to take it is The Hood essentially established a super villains union. They stick with him because it's a job that comes with health cover, being bailed out of jail, crap like that.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2009
    As for the Hood, I still don't understand how he became the new Kingpin anyway. All his strategy comes down to is paying a lot of C-Listers really well. If Osborn or any other rich villain wanted, he could just buy the Hood out.

    I think the way we were meant to take it is The Hood essentially established a super villains union. They stick with him because it's a job that comes with health cover, being bailed out of jail, crap like that.

    The Hoods cartel seems to encourage working together against common foes and looking out for each other whereas Kingpins resulted in the Sinister # all trying to kill each other with the Kingpin largely encouraging that.

    ...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As for the Hood, I still don't understand how he became the new Kingpin anyway. All his strategy comes down to is paying a lot of C-Listers really well. If Osborn or any other rich villain wanted, he could just buy the Hood out.

    I think the way we were meant to take it is The Hood essentially established a super villains union. They stick with him because it's a job that comes with health cover, being bailed out of jail, crap like that.

    The Hoods cartel seems to encourage working together against common foes and looking out for each other whereas Kingpins resulted in the Sinister # all trying to kill each other with the Kingpin largely encouraging that.

    Yeah, thats a good way to put it, unfortunately because of the way that comics work, the villains always lose. So as a result The Hoods crew only show up to attack the heroes and get their arses kicked.

    The way I'd like to see it handled would be rather than having The Hood and co showing up to do stupid non-profitable crap like attacking the Avengers, use his organisation as a more responsive entity. Somebody like the Punisher or Daredevil shows up and starts trying to kill or interrogate a C-list villain, the C-lister makes a call and then the hero has to escape with the entire organisation coming for him.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2009
    As for the Hood, I still don't understand how he became the new Kingpin anyway. All his strategy comes down to is paying a lot of C-Listers really well. If Osborn or any other rich villain wanted, he could just buy the Hood out.

    I think the way we were meant to take it is The Hood essentially established a super villains union. They stick with him because it's a job that comes with health cover, being bailed out of jail, crap like that.

    The Hoods cartel seems to encourage working together against common foes and looking out for each other whereas Kingpins resulted in the Sinister # all trying to kill each other with the Kingpin largely encouraging that.

    Yeah, thats a good way to put it, unfortunately because of the way that comics work, the villains always lose. So as a result The Hoods crew only show up to attack the heroes and get their arses kicked.

    The way I'd like to see it handled would be rather than having The Hood and co showing up to do stupid non-profitable crap like attacking the Avengers, use his organisation as a more responsive entity. Somebody like the Punisher or Daredevil shows up and starts trying to kill or interrogate a C-list villain, the C-lister makes a call and then the hero has to escape with the entire organisation coming for him.

    It worked well at first. I was first introduced to him when he assaulted that Tiger lady and basically emotionally crippled her and threatened her and her entire family if she ever moved against him and his organisation. If he can get a team working together like the Avengers itd be pretty interesting and probably more cohesive than the Dark Avengers but yeah, victory for them means dead heroes unless theyre willing to just accept defeated heroes.

    Some of the more standout stories I've seen are ones where villains win. Like the Wanted comic where all the heroes are dead. Old Man Logan was kinda interesting but more in a twisted way and one thats not sustainable, especially what Skull did to
    Spoiler:
    . Though thats because it totally fucks with everything you expect to happen.

    ...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fucking with expectations only works the first time. Every time after that, you need a little more substance to your story than that.

  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fucking extra Earth for no reason that will never be mentioned again. Goddamn "Doom's Master", super-the-most-best villain that's basically just a 1985 cameo and will, again, never been mentioned again.

    You know there is a mini-series about the extra earth, right?

  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That extra Earth along with its own personal Wolverine can't possibly last very long.

  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2009
    Fucking with expectations only works the first time. Every time after that, you need a little more substance to your story than that.

    Im simple, its worked on me lots. Did anyone here watch MOrtal Kombat the series? Nothing like seeing the heroes be brutally executed at the end to mess with a little boys sense of right and wrong. In comics its the imagination that does it.

    If a hero wins you know its not going to eb a long drawn out death for the villain, itll be a punch or a fall or a blast, theyll get out some final words and die.

    But if a hero loses, you can guarantee they were probably skinned, deboned, raped, forced to watch everything they stood for be destroyed and then tortured, revived, tortured, revived and ultimately killed. And everything I know says that should never happen to the hero.

    ...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    what if the anti-hero wins

    did you think of this?!

    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually, most villains aren't the skinning, deboning, raping sort. That's why it's so hard to accept "All the villains team up, murder all the heroes, and raze the planet." scenarios. The C-List thugs whose aspirations are limited to getting a couple million and retiring to Mexico would never team up with the more depraved villains, much less demons and Nazis, because millions of dollars aren't worth shit after the apocalypse.

    As for the demons and Nazis themselves, the fact that there isn't enough world to go around for all of them, even if they didn't have conflicting ethos that demands they fight each other if given the chance, sort of demands that any alliance between them last only as long as it takes for one to find the opportunity to backstab the other.

  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know, I can't think of one villain the showed in Old Man Logan that isn't at least a bit mustache twirly.

    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I don't know, I can't think of one villain the showed in Old Man Logan that isn't at least a bit mustache twirly.

    Well, most villains didn't appear in Old Man Logan. The whole fight that sets the stage for the series takes place off-screen, after all.

    One example that comes to mind, however, is Mysterio. Why the hell would Mysterio aid in the collapse of civilization?

    And of course, there's the fact that Magneto is supposed to have teamed up with Red Skull in that big fight.

  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I don't know, I can't think of one villain the showed in Old Man Logan that isn't at least a bit mustache twirly.

    Well, most villains didn't appear in Old Man Logan. The whole fight that sets the stage for the series takes place off-screen, after all.

    One example that comes to mind, however, is Mysterio. Why the hell would Mysterio aid in the collapse of civilization?

    And of course, there's the fact that Magneto is supposed to have teamed up with Red Skull in that big fight.

    Was that original Mysterio or a new one? I dont know what new Mysterio is like.

    Skulls role was pretty fitting, but yeah you're right, most of those in Hoods outfit are low level costumed villains interested in money because they want it or need it and theyre tired of being manhandled by super heroes even when they aren't out villaining, just because of who they are.

    ...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It isn't really fitting for either Mysterio.

    P.S. New Mysterio sucks. Fuck you, Kevin Smith.

  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, fuck you Kevin Smith!

    Id have to assume ignorance on part of the writers. Other than that, probably was just promised freedom from heroic intervention rather than world domination/destruction.

    ...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't understand why people like Millar so much. Everything he's written since he got a name for himself writing Ultimate X-Men is basically supposed to be directed by Michael Bay. It's not good at all.

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
This discussion has been closed.