As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go find the new MechWarrior Online thread

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    I hunt Timber Wolves from a helicopter.

VTOLs are pretty freaking mean actually. They are almost impossible to hit and can carry as much firepower as a light mech.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    South host wrote: »
    Seriously. Just listen to this voice. This is exactly what I imagine a commander of a Mechwarrior force would sound like.

The funny thing is he's supposed to be in charge of salvaging and repairs. He ends up being in charge of directing tactics, strategy, communications, escape routes, linking up, and everything else. He's just that awesome.

To be fair, MW3 was the only MW game that I remember salvaging for ammo really being important in. The others made it easy enough to sell random crap and buy the ammo you needed, if they bothered assigning a cost to rearm in the first place

Yeah, Even though AC-10's are fucking deadly in MW3, I never equipped my mechs with ballistic guns, because the ammo disappeared FAST. And the ammo load on each mech is for all guns of the same type in MW3, while in MW4 each gun/missile launcher had its own ammo load. So you ran out of ammo for all guns of the same type. It wasn't pretty.

and please let the silly track/legs debate die, Mechs are indeed impossible and stupid, but they're fun.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game more than any other in the last 5 years is making me NEED to buy a new PC. I'm currently using a laptop and that shit just won't do.

Also, can you imagine support for multimonitor setups where sub-monitors give readouts like radar/heat levels/etc?

I'm building a cockpit.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Oh, NOW I get why I can't seem to make any headway in the Grand Tournament -- the Asian bitch is cheating. She brought in a wingman.

Any advice? God, this kinda thing pisses me off. I've tried ignoring the other people and goign straight for her, that doesn't work, as the poor sap she starts next to ends up being chewed apart by her real quick.

I tried just hiding and remaining shut down until the announcer dude called me out on it, doesn't work, her and her wingman both chase me down and gank me.

KiTA on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How accessible is Mechwarrior 4? I don't like tank/plane sim games or games that require me to map a function to every key on my keyboard. I was ok with the way Chromehounds controlled but the game was quickly discouraged online.

Hate sims, like giant robots. Worth a shot?

solsovly on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    How accessible is Mechwarrior 4? I don't like tank/plane sim games or games that require me to map a function to every key on my keyboard. I was ok with the way Chromehounds controlled but the game was quickly discouraged online.

Hate sims, like giant robots. Worth a shot?

It's not bad. You only need to know about 6 buttons or so to do well, and the mouse acts as aiming and firing control.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone wouldn't happen to know of a resource to find the "REACTOR, ONLINE, SENSORS, ONLINE, WEAPONS, ONLINE, ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL *purr*" audio file, but from MW3 instead of MW2? Unless my memory's failing me, they used a different voice for MW3 and that one seems much more smooth.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, NOW I get why I can't seem to make any headway in the Grand Tournament -- the Asian bitch is cheating. She brought in a wingman.

Any advice? God, this kinda thing pisses me off. I've tried ignoring the other people and goign straight for her, that doesn't work, as the poor sap she starts next to ends up being chewed apart by her real quick.

I tried just hiding and remaining shut down until the announcer dude called me out on it, doesn't work, her and her wingman both chase me down and gank me.

I just did this earlier tonight, What I did was as soon as I had control I backed into the doorway to dodge the volley from the mech (Ricardo Vicci) to the left. Then after he was engaged I went out turned right and came in behind the two mechs over there, killed them then went through the canal until I came up behind either Sri or Alice then unloaded into whoever was unlucky enough to be in front of me first.

I used a Haumptaman (sp?) with two clan AC 20's, and 2 clan AC 10's, full armour, and I think a LAMS thingy installed.

It took me three or four tries before I figured out that plan and it worked well enough for me.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What do people think of rocket launchers (mekpak weapon)?
    Decent damage and range in exchange for no guidance whatsoever and almost no weight. Leading the target takes a little getting used to, but I really like my Assassin II with four RLs, two LBX20 and an LBX10.
    Have to lose the jump to fit all that in, but it's ridiculously quick and has a full 360 torso too.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HAY GUYSE I LOVE ME SOME HUEG ROBATS!

anyways.

MW3 is fucking hard. the whole approach is really cool too. No going back to orbit to ressupply and buy moar stuff. No endless amounts of extra ammo in the mothership. All you have is whatever you find on the battlefield. It's no good making a Mech with lots of ballistic firepower, your mount needs endurance for the long run.

I'm on mission 3 and have legged every single enemy mech I found (about 4 light ones so far), and could only salvage the first Owens.

I already took out the MGs and the AC-10 from my Bushwacker, they ran out of ammo too fast for little good. That allowed me to pack 2 ERL and 3 Clan Heat Sinks. Even then, I got killed pretty quickly right after M1Op3 started. Those light mechs with vehicle support are no joke like the other MW games.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Elitistb wrote: »
    I guess the real question is: If you can't get a wheeled vehicle there, why don't you just shell the crap out of it?
    Because it's a goddamn cave with an eight-foot entrance that could technically go three miles into solid granite. Shelling that shit just doesn't work - about the best you can hope for is to collapse the entrance and hope no-one inside has a shovel or thought to hide in a cave with two exits. And even then you have to be careful of that entrance for evermore, in case someone decides that since that particular hole is on your flank now it'd be a good idea to launch a few RPGs from.

Not that a 'mech would be much use in those conditions; a few BigDogs with a 300Kg payload of C4 and a remote detonator would be infinitely superior as a weapon against a cave.
    You got my point exactly. Situation is a no go for giant robots at all.

And most of the mechs in battlemech don't do very well cliffclimbing. Except for jump jets, and if you can put those on a legged mech, you can put them on a tank just as easily.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

anyways.

MW3 is fucking hard. the whole approach is really cool too. No going back to orbit to ressupply and buy moar stuff. No endless amounts of extra ammo in the mothership. All you have is whatever you find on the battlefield. It's no good making a Mech with lots of ballistic firepower, your mount needs endurance for the long run.

I'm on mission 3 and have legged every single enemy mech I found (about 4 light ones so far), and could only salvage the first Owens.

I already took out the MGs and the AC-10 from my Bushwacker, they ran out of ammo too fast for little good. That allowed me to pack 2 ERL and 3 Clan Heat Sinks. Even then, I got killed pretty quickly right after M1Op3 started. Those light mechs with vehicle support are no joke like the other MW games.

Horde any ammo for the weapons that you want. For me, that was all LRMS, AC10s and bigger, and MGs cause they're fun. Seriously, you come across a mission with a big open plain, and you saved up all those LRM5s... use 6 at once and just tear shit up. Lots of fun. Heavy ACs with ammo to burn are great too.

And nothing like equipping a Thor with 12 MGs and a shiton of ammo. Everything just disintigrates... slowly. Then I run out of ammo.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Apogee wrote: »

anyways.

Horde any ammo for the weapons that you want. For me, that was all LRMS, AC10s and bigger, and MGs cause they're fun. Seriously, you come across a mission with a big open plain, and you saved up all those LRM5s... use 6 at once and just tear shit up. Lots of fun. Heavy ACs with ammo to burn are great too.

And nothing like equipping a Thor with 12 MGs and a shiton of ammo. Everything just disintigrates... slowly. Then I run out of ammo.

Yeah. It's cool, but on the later missions, your options become somewhat limited (since MG ammo doesn't last too long). But that's what the MFB is for--reloading!

For me, it was hording LRM20 ammo, since you'd find a lot of all other types. I'm no BT expert, but it seems kind of stupid that you can't just combine a certain amount of LRM5 ammo into LRM20 ammo. I'm probably just thinking of it from the wrong perspective however.

Synthesis on
  • totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know it is extraneous, but i want some out of the cockpit parts in game. I mean running my man around a firebase talking to mechanics; haggling for better deals on the 4 tons of srm ammo I am buying, talking to mercs in a bar, etc. Help give me a sense of scale and put some faces on on those mech jockeys/lance mates I am leading to their deaths.

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
    edited July 2009
    totally wrote: »
    I know it is extraneous, but i want some out of the cockpit parts in game. I mean running my man around a firebase talking to mechanics; haggling for better deals on the 4 tons of srm ammo I am buying, talking to mercs in a bar, etc. Help give me a sense of scale and put some faces on on those mech jockeys/lance mates I am leading to their deaths.

MechAssault 2 did this in combat, and everyone hates MA2. I don't, but that's because I'm a pacifist/wimp/someone who subscribes to a life philosophy of non-hatred.

That being said, especially in a Mercenaries-style game, this could be an awesome way of handling the interface. MW2:Merc had you operating from different areas of your neighborhood in Outreach, walking around could be cool potentially. Especially if you could customize your character somewhat (even if it came down to a Deus Ex 2 level of customization--i.e. gender and skin color).

Synthesis on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    totally wrote: »

MechAssault 2 did this in combat, and everyone hates MA2. I don't, but that's because I'm a pacifist/wimp/someone who subscribes to a life philosophy of non-hatred.

That being said, especially in a Mercenaries-style game, this could be an awesome way of handling the interface. MW2:Merc had you operating from different areas of your neighborhood in Outreach, walking around could be cool potentially. Especially if you could customize your character somewhat (even if it came down to a Deus Ex 2 level of customization--i.e. gender and skin color).

The last thing I want is to have to run down some corridors between mission to set up my mech.

Cabezone on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I agree. Nothing annoys me more than having the "interface" be standing in a hallway/street/whatever, where I arbitrarily have to walk into different buildings to access different parts of the pre-mission functionality. "Want to customize your mech? Walk two minutes that way. Want to pick your mission? Walk two minutes that way." If it doesn't add gameplay; it's annoying to wade through while trying to play. If it DOES add to gameplay, well, it's not from the cockpit of a mech, which is what I play the Mechwarrior games for.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited July 2009
    Definitely a mixed reception, heh. Which is probably to be expected, because after all, like melee combat, it will not implemented.

Synthesis on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The amount of effort it would take to model and texture and animate people and places that exist for no purpose other than to make it harder to navigate the various menus it takes to be a mechwarrior would cost an amount of money that I would prefer them to spend on anything else.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited July 2009
    The amount of effort it would take to model and texture and animate people and places that exist for no purpose other than to make it harder to navigate the various menus it takes to be a mechwarrior would cost an amount of money that I would prefer them to spend on anything else.

I think you're seriously overestimating how much time it would take to render a handful of hallways, two to three rooms, and the number of NPCs that would be put there.

That being said, it could be handled for better with menus, and take less effort. Then again, I think cool menu interfaces (for some reason, Project Gotham Racing comes to mind) are pretty awesome too. I'm easily amused.

Synthesis on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The only reason I can see to introduce infantry-level perspective is to introduce infantry.

Like, if Battletech could have a thousand people on a server, you could have mechs, aircraft, tanks and infantry all participating in the same enormous battle.

Professor Phobos on
    edited July 2009
    The only reason I can see to introduce infantry-level perspective is to introduce infantry.

Like, if Battletech could have a thousand people on a server, you could have mechs, aircraft, tanks and infantry all participating in the same enormous battle.

Wouldn't count on that happening either. Especially since a lot of people would be pissed off being stuck in infantry, and a similar number would be pissed off at the implementation of infantry (see: MechAssault 2). We are a very fickle crowd.

Though it could be used in the event of an ejection. Make your way back to safety. Though that could be damn tedious as well. Probably best to handle it like in Il-2 Sturmovik--you can bail out, you float back to terra firma, and if something hits you along the way, tough shit. No additional movement.

Synthesis on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nah, if you're giving the infantry something to do, objectives they can capture on their own, I can see it being a lot of fun.

But I always liked the combined-arms aspect of the board game.

Professor Phobos on
    edited July 2009
    I could see it done that way if it was a sort of MAss Effect style mercenaries game, where you had to cruise bars and get deals/contracts. It MIGHT be neat, but then there's just more area to screw up.

As an aside, who here played mechwarrior ONE?

I did...

altmann on

signature.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I think you're seriously overestimating how much time it would take to render a handful of hallways, two to three rooms, and the number of NPCs that would be put there.

That being said, it could be handled for better with menus, and take less effort. Then again, I think cool menu interfaces (for some reason, Project Gotham Racing comes to mind) are pretty awesome too. I'm easily amused.

If it is the same exact amount of effort as it takes to introduce a single additional mech chassis, or a single additional mission, or a single, cooler looking hill for me to stand on while shooting at things... it's a waste.
    Nah, if you're giving the infantry something to do, objectives they can capture on their own, I can see it being a lot of fun.

But I always liked the combined-arms aspect of the board game.

Guaranteed 50% of players at least would just quit the server and join a different one till they found one with available mech slots. This is not Modern Warfare, it's Mechwarrior. People who buy it expect to pilot mechs.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited July 2009
    altmann wrote: »

I did...

I did, but only as an afterthought. I did not enjoy it as much as any of the MW2 games.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

If it is the same exact amount of effort as it takes to introduce a single additional mech chassis, or a single additional mission, or a single, cooler looking hill for me to stand on while shooting at things... it's a waste.

Funny thing, it isn't--since menus have to be produced anyway (how else do you want to navigate? Voice commands? That takes time too). Additional Mechs, being the actual cornerstone of the gameplay, naturally take a lot more effort. And frankly, a single, 'cooler' looking hill that you might never see and has no real bearing on gameplay is even less useful.

"Did you see that fuck-awesome hill in the third mission of the second op?"

"....what the hell are you talking about? Best tactic was to flank around following the riverbed, so you're underneath the firing line of turrets. I didn't see any hills, period."

"....but...but, it was such an awesome hill! We worked so hard on it during testing!"

Synthesis on
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is the part of games I hate. Right after it's been announced and there isn't any information. At least we’ll have Mechwarrior 4:Mercs to tide us over soon. It'd even better becuase I just got an X52 joystick.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
    edited July 2009
    This is the part of games I hate. Right after it's been announced and there isn't any information. At least we’ll have Mechwarrior 4:Mercs to tide us over soon. It'd even better becuase I just got an X52 joystick.

I envy you. My Saitek Evo Force just died. So I'm back to all the MW2 games. Though if this doesn't suck, it'll be pretty awesome to play MW with both rudder medals AND force feedback.

Synthesis on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Speaking from personal experience, he's not. With a menu system you don't have to worry about collision detection, rigging animations for the NPCs, camera control so you don't end up looking through the wall behind your character, etc etc. It's a lot more involved than just making the models.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    edited July 2009
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Speaking from personal experience, he's not. With a menu system you don't have to worry about collision detection, rigging animations for the NPCs, camera control so you don't end up looking through the wall behind your character, etc etc. It's a lot more involved than just making the models.

Hmm...usually, these sort of areas tend to suck when it comes to collision detection, since they are just cosmetic, but if you wanted to go that in depth, it could take time.

Synthesis on
    edited July 2009
    Decent damage and range in exchange for no guidance whatsoever and almost no weight. Leading the target takes a little getting used to, but I really like my Assassin II with four RLs, two LBX20 and an LBX10.
    Have to lose the jump to fit all that in, but it's ridiculously quick and has a full 360 torso too.

Wait, Rocket Launchers are from the MekPak? My Atlases have them default.

KiTA on
    edited July 2009

anyways.

Was Pirates' Moon the one with a night mission first off, with a pair of Atlases hiding out at like, Nav Dog that you did not, under any circumstances, want to wake up?

I seem to remember replaying that mission over and over with ER Large Lasers sniping their legs until I captured an Atlas. The game was still hard as hell even with a 100t Assault Mech right off.

KiTA on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait, Rocket Launchers are from the MekPak? My Atlases have them default.
    Huh.
    Maybe not then? I don't recall seeing them on anything before the MekPaks, so....
    I'm talking about the 1.5 ton dumbfire rockets with the 0.3 second reload, fired in pairs? They have a yellow warhead in the Mechlab which usually means "I've been added or modified by the MeTek guys."

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Hmm...usually, these sort of areas tend to suck when it comes to collision detection, since they are just cosmetic, but if you wanted to go that in depth, it could take time.
    Well, if you want it not to look janky, you have to make sure the player can't walk through props, and then you have to make sure he can't get stuck anywhere in the scenery, etc. And again, you have to work on a camera system that either makes objects transparent when they're behind the player or zooms it up really close behind so it's never occluded, or just have the camera always be really tight behind the player, etc.

You make a point that you can ignore a lot of that and just do a bare minimum to have an environment to walk around in, but at that point why bother when you could spend less time putting together a really nicely designed menu system rather than a meh 3d environment?

Edit: This is assuming it's a budgetary concern. If they have the budget to make a nice 3d nav system then yes, it could be cool.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    edited July 2009

anyways.

Was Pirates' Moon the one with a night mission first off, with a pair of Atlases hiding out at like, Nav Dog that you did not, under any circumstances, want to wake up?

I seem to remember replaying that mission over and over with ER Large Lasers sniping their legs until I captured an Atlas. The game was still hard as hell even with a 100t Assault Mech right off.

The original MW3 did not include the Atlas (the Orion was the counterpart, I think). Did they include them in the expansion, I guess?
    You make a point that you can ignore a lot of that and just do a bare minimum to have an environment to walk around in, but at that point why bother when you could spend less time putting together a really nicely designed menu system rather than a meh 3d environment?

Those sort of areas then to have NPCs that don't move (or if they do, just barely), so a simple collision box around them that you can't pass works for both them and the furniture. Of course, it is deliberately simplistic. But, you get what they have time for.

Synthesis on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I could see it done that way if it was a sort of MAss Effect style mercenaries game, where you had to cruise bars and get deals/contracts. It MIGHT be neat, but then there's just more area to screw up.

I did...

The original is actually the only one I've played. And it produced some of my fondest gaming memories.

TheCanMan on
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I did...
    MW was one of the first PC games I played. I was too young to appreciate the complexity, though; the idea that my actions might have consequences (such as other houses refusing to hire me) went over my head. I mostly just ran around blowing up 'mechs as much as possible. I still remember flipping through the photocopied 'mech identification section of the manual so I could get past the copy protection.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    edited July 2009

I did...
    MW was one of the first PC games I played. I was too young to appreciate the complexity, though; the idea that my actions might have consequences (such as other houses refusing to hire me) went over my head. I mostly just ran around blowing up 'mechs as much as possible. I still remember flipping through the photocopied 'mech identification section of the manual so I could get past the copy protection.

I loved running around in a Locust even when the rest of my team was in Battlemasters. I could take out ANYTHING in a Locust. Max speed, small laser, slam into the enemy's back and shoot until dead. Took forever, but NOTHING could kill me.

KiTA on
    edited July 2009
    Mechwarrior 1:

Edit: Broke ass links.

I love those style games.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Links to the picture above don't work.

If we get to see infantry in this incarnation of the MechWarrior series, they're most likely NPCs and/or pilots who abandoned their mech. Although I remember reading a book where the protagonist fought against mechs with a rocket launcher, and I thought that was kinda cool.

Alfred J. Kwak on
This discussion has been closed.