As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HITSCAN FORTRESS 2 - NO OFF TOPICS

• John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A new thread already?

I need to get back into my Gmodding. I'm sure a new creative spark will flare up as soon as I start posing Heavies and Soldiers into compromising positions.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »
    What did I miss? Why is knockback an issue? Scouts are god damn pansies, just shoot them.

They're too fast.

Scout can't out-run bullet. /end{heavy accent}

Anyway, in case no one saw it 'cause it was kinda botp'd, in short:
    Whats the deal with 6v6 (and not larger) in competitive play?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guys, I hate map. I don't know why Valve even decided to include map in that update. Team always wins unless it's a stalemate because of engineers. Speaking of which, fuck that update for giving class the weapon that always fucking kills me. Seriously, what were they even thinking?

theantipop on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    1v1 battles with Heavies are what the Axtinguisher is for.

This.

Also, I've killed so many heavies by circle strafing them with the flamethrower, and randomly changing directions. It's fucking hilarious to do.

UEAKCrash on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    theantipop wrote: »
    Guys, I hate map. I don't know why Valve even decided to include map in that update. Team always wins unless it's a stalemate because of engineers. Speaking of which, fuck that update for giving class the weapon that always fucking kills me. Seriously, what were they even thinking?

Replace every post in this thread with this and I think we're done here

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What did I miss? Why is knockback an issue? Scouts are god damn pansies, just shoot them.

They're too fast.

They outrun my fire quite a lot though.

mrflippy on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Flame+axestinguisher is probably less than 50% effective if the heavy isn't too distracted, in my experience.

L|ama on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

They're too fast.

They outrun my fire quite a lot though.

Also my fists. The KGB should create a gravity well that pulls everyone into me.

Fats on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know what I'd do without triple jump

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited July 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    Flame+axestinguisher is probably less than 50% effective if the heavy isn't too distracted, in my experience.

Not to mention that a crit with the axestinguisher isn't a guaranteed kill either, especially if he's overhealed. If I manage to get in melee range and get a hit off, the heavy will often be very close to dead, but I will end up actually dead.

mrflippy on
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Whats the deal with 6v6 (and not larger) in competitive play?

If I remember correctly, the number was just brought over from CS. Theres also 8v8 and Highlander leagues, but 6v6 just seems to be the most popular/competitive. With such small numbers, its a completely different experience, which some people prefer. Its also easier to get smaller numbers of people together for a match/practice, and easier for them to work together too.

PA had a Highlander team for a while. We did... poorly(last place in the league), but it was some of the most fun I've had in TF2.

Mandalorian Rooster on
    edited July 2009
    What's a Highlander team? Melee only or something?

mrflippy on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There is only one
    of each class

BlindPsychic on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That sounds like fun.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We had a highlander tournament a few months ago. It was a blast. Even though my team lost hard.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ...man. We had two inter-PA highlander tourneys, where were you?

Highlander: there can be only one (of each class).

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mars' Guide to Attracting Players to Your Server

So, you've found your way into your favorite server. But what's this? It's empty! Not to worry, because with my guide, you can have the server up and running in a jiffy. You'll be the most popular player in the server for turning it into such a fun place in no time!

Tip 1: Vote for the unpopular maps!
    When your fellow Arcadians check the list and see a terrible map in the rotation, they'll be overcome with the desire to change it, and soon find themselves in game and ready to vote something better. With maps like cp_Junction, ctf_Turbine, and cp_Shitfest, you can be sure of always having something terrible enough to get this party started!

Tip 2: Always go Scout when there's less than 6 people!
    With the Scout's high speed, high damage, and a low amount of enemies, you can be sure you'll have fun easily killing your slower enemies. You'll have so much fun in fact, that anyone who so much as thinks about checking the server list will sense your joy and be irresistibly drawn like a moth to flame. Your enemies will have so much fun watching the loading screen for the next map because you capped all the objectives within the first 2 minutes, that they'll beg you to go scout again!

Tip 3: Build a sentry outside your enemies' spawn!
    As fun as the game is, isn't anticipating the fun even more exciting? That's why the respawn timers are there! By sneaking past your foes, which should be easy since they only have enough people to guard one entrance, you can easily put a sentry right in front of their spawn. This way, when they die and respawn, they can quickly re-experience the excitement of the respawn timer without having to run all the way to where everyone else is fighting!

Tip 4: Make sure to shoot anyone who's meleeing!
    What's this? That demo and heavy are circling each other using their melee weapons? That's not how you play the game! Grab that scattergun, sonny, and go pulverize your enemies! People like strict rules and structure to their games, and you're certainly not going to fill a server with such hogwash as melee fights. Your enemy will be so grateful to you for showing him the error of his ways, you can be sure he'll get all his friends to join the server too!

It can be tough getting a server full, but with my simple guide, even you can do your part! Word will spread quickly, and you can be sure that that server will be a-hoppin' soon enough, all thanks to you!

Mars on
    edited July 2009
    We should have an engineer-only tournament.

mrflippy on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Not to mention that a crit with the axestinguisher isn't a guaranteed kill either, especially if he's overhealed. If I manage to get in melee range and get a hit off, the heavy will often be very close to dead, but I will end up actually dead.

It takes two hits for an unhealed heavy, 3 for an overhealed one. And you're not gonna win if he sees you first, you should have one swing off before he starts shooting you(unless he was already shooting and reacts really fast), and with a little dodging more often than not you'll get another one off. If you just shoot a single tap with the flamethrower from the full distance you can switch to the axtinguisher before he even catches fire.

Zek on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Personally, Highlander sounds like the most appropriate rule for a competitive variant of Team Fortress, if only because it forces the teams to react to the strengths and weaknesses of all the classes without being able to front-load with only the most powerful ones.

As for 6v6, I'd say part of the reason (outside of Counter-Strike carryover, as was mentioned) is that the dynamics at that level of manpower tend to favor individual skill more than team skill. When your team is only six men strong, having one weak guy can ruin a whole team. It becomes much easier to determine who really has the better team then. In a 12 versus 12, it becomes much easier for explosive spam and choke-pointing to determine the outcome of a game, and weaker players can disappear into the crowd.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Okay, I will ask for halp one more time before attempting to venture into the Valve official forums.

My TF2 server list refuses to update no matter what I do. I can right click and hit refresh server and nothing changes, its like it took a screenshot of my server list 3 weeks ago and hasn't changed since. I join empty servers that are supposed to be near full. I die inside.

Are you sure it's not just player count spoofing? Some pubs like to do that.

No its not player count spoofing :(

It almost sounds like you don't have the right ports open at your router. Here are the required ports for Steam:
    Steam Client

* UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
    * UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
    * TCP 27020 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)

Dedicated or Listen Servers

* TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

There is a note attached to the end of that post:
    Many university networks and proxies block required ports for Steam operation - please consult your network administrator to ensure the required ports are open if you are using a university network or a proxy. Ports required for Steam can not be re-mapped to HTTP or reconfigured to a custom port range.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We should have an engineer-only tournament.

That would be awesome.

Or even better a engi only tourney but no senteries allowed so you must try and kill everyone with your shotty, wrench, and by blowing up your dispenser.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited July 2009
    Detting dispensers only works in TFC

BlindPsychic on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Detting dispensers only works in TFC

Really? Bastards!

Recently when I play engi (which isn't often because I find it boring as sin) I just go and type +attack in the console so I don't have to hold down the mouse button to upgrade my sentry or swing at spies.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I personally find that catching the heavy off guard is key to it. Even spun up, coming out of fucking no where with the axetinguisher can almost guarantee two hits with it. I usually light them on fire, run away, switch to axe, wait for them to get around a corner/ ledge and jump out swinging.

UEAKCrash on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    6v6 and the people that play it is/are dumb butts

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scouts just need twice as much health as they have now while I'm playing them and half as much health as they have now when other people are playing them, and they'll be completely balanced.

jothki on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    6v6 is Me Fortress 2.

They forget about the whole team thing because "Look at Me!".

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would love to play Cashworks on Job's. I don't remember if I've played those other maps that were mentioned.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited July 2009
    Jon's is vanilla forever. You're thinking Job

BlindPsychic on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shush. I totally said Job's.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mars wrote: »

With the Scout's high speed, high damage, and a low amount of enemies, you can be sure you'll have fun easily killing your slower enemies. You'll have so much fun in fact, that anyone who so much as thinks about checking the server list will sense your joy and be irresistibly drawn like a moth to flame. Your enemies will have so much fun watching the loading screen for the next map because you capped all the objectives within the first 2 minutes, that they'll beg you to go scout again!

Tip 4: Make sure to shoot anyone who's meleeing!
    What's this? That demo and heavy are circling each other using their melee weapons? That's not how you play the game! Grab that scattergun, sonny, and go pulverize your enemies! People like strict rules and structure to their games, and you're certainly not going to fill a server with such hogwash as melee fights. Your enemy will be so grateful to you for showing him the error of his ways, you can be sure he'll get all his friends to join the server too!

I honestly have no idea what people who do this are thinking. Does saying "hey lets do a melee brawl" translate into "how bout you play seriously with 4 people and scattergun me"?

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know how, after you spend a long time at the beach, it feels like you can still hear the waves in the distance?

I can hear the minigun.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jon's is vanilla forever. You're thinking Job

What is this? Someone getting it right?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY TUFTOO THREAD?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know how, after you spend a long time at the beach, it feels like you can still hear the waves in the distance?

I can hear the minigun.

Why would you bring a minigun to a beach?

Icemopper on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »

I can hear the minigun.

Why wouldn't you bring a minigun to a beach?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »

I can hear the minigun.

Fuckin' seagulls.

Fats on
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You ever been laying in the sun with a good view of the ocean, feeling at peace with the world, when some mannerless slobs set up camp right in front of you and let their bratty little kids kick sand on your towel?

See if that happens when you're laying next to a minigun.

Mars on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mars wrote: »
    These are indeed the douches of the year.

Also fuck shitty class makeup. More than two snipers, spies, and engies on a map is asking for a goddamned trainwreck you stupid, stupid fools

SithDrummer on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My big complaint* is how all novelty teams can be beaten by a couple pyros.

"HEY! Let's all go scout!" or "HEY! Let's all go heavy!"

Well guess what fuckers, say hello to the pyro who just lit your ass on fire.

*not really, it just amuses me how this works

xzzy on