As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Thread!

• Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This last arc hasn't been any more violent than anything we've seen before, like in the first couple of trades.

edit: That being said i could do with a bit less fighting

Canada_jezus on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    See, I think the core of the argument against the gore is that it's been done before, and it's not shocking anymore. That's the whole problem, that he's ratcheted it up and up and it's just not having the impact it's supposed to have. Nobody's saying that it's a new thing, the whole problem with it is that it's old and uninteresting and it works to the detriment of the book at this point.

DJ Eebs on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    See, I think the core of the argument against the gore is that it's been done before, and it's not shocking anymore. That's the whole problem, that he's ratcheted it up and up and it's just not having the impact it's supposed to have. Nobody's saying that it's a new thing, the whole problem with it is that it's old and uninteresting and it works to the detriment of the book at this point.

Yes, exactly. Kirkman appears to have misunderstood the shock of original gore as being about the level of violence, as opposed to just the contrast with 'typical' stories. As a result, he just keeps pushing the 'gore' knob higher, instead of considering why it actually had an impact in the beginning.

mattharvest on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    To me it's escalation.

Things right now in the Invincible universe is spinning out of control, tougher opponents and people are showing up, people are getting hurt, people are getting hurt and again when it comes to people able to shoot lasers, have super strength, be Superman level powers and abilities then people are going to be hurt and unlike most comics they're not afraid to show that people do get hurt bad, they don't just do the "Oh no I hurt my shoulder so I'll just be grabbing it and gritting my teeth then later have it in a sling to show it got hurt and in the next issue I'll be okay!".

Again to me Kirkman is showing a more realistic view of how super heroing is, it's not so fantasy based as the DC universe is much of the time and I find that refreshing. In this book anything can and will happen, no one is safe, nothing is going to be set to the status quo for 40 years unchanging and that's what more comic books need.

I said it before and I'll say it again, comic book fans are conditioned to expect nothing really major happening because things just go back to how they are, we need to break that and that's one thing Invicible does so well.

Cade on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think dupli-kate, and Angstrom are the only ones who've "resurrected" so far, and kate's reasoning made some sense (i wait for the ultimate collections, so i don't know how angstrom survived). i would agree that "dead is dead" in the invincible universe, at least so far.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
    edited July 2009
    Oh if the argument is that its just been too much gore and not enough nice fluffy stuff lately then i am in complete agreement. I don't know anything about the next arc but hopefully it'll be more sedate.

Canada_jezus on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If escalation is the only direction this can go, there will be no good endings for anyone. That doesn't sound like a book I care to read.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think dupli-kate, and Angstrom are the only ones who've "resurrected" so far, and kate's reasoning made some sense (i wait for the ultimate collections, so i don't know how angstrom survived). i would agree that "dead is dead" in the invincible universe, at least so far.

All's I'm sayin'... now stay with me here... ReanimEve. Booyah.

Skittlebrau on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I don't think we're supposed to actually talk about the book in this thread - just argue about gore.

But aside from that, I like the way you think.

Hensler on
  • SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, is that what we're doing? Okay. Astounding Wolf-Man is totally violent too, you guys!

Skittlebrau on
    edited July 2009

Here's a weird thought: due to those blockers in her head, Eve couldn't manipulate living matter, right? If she were reanimated, could she manipulate her own matter? She could look perfectly living, but have perfect control over herself.

I hate myself for having that thought.

mattharvest on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, is that what we're doing? Okay. Astounding Wolf-Man is totally violent too, you guys!

And if anybody actualy read it, we might care.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Here's a weird thought: due to those blockers in her head, Eve couldn't manipulate living matter, right? If she were reanimated, could she manipulate her own matter? She could look perfectly living, but have perfect control over herself.

If I had that sort of power, the first thing I'd try to do is manipulate my brain so that I could become smart enough to use my powers better. I might accidentally make myself evil in the process, however. Oh, these damned powers are as much a curse as a blessing!

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2009

If I had that sort of power, the first thing I'd try to do is manipulate my brain so that I could become smart enough to use my powers better. I might accidentally make myself evil in the process, however. Oh, these damned powers are as much a curse as a blessing!

That's always my first thought whenever fiction - novel, movie, whatever - has someone with superpowers but hasn't taught themselves how to use them well despite being a teenager or older. I watched "Push" recently, and while it was a totally fun movie (and an incredibly open call for a series), I was struck by how stupid the protagonist was for having spent years using these powers without any attempts at refining them until the prescient girl showed up.

mattharvest on
  • Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was really pleased with #64

(spoilers for the entire issue).
    Eve's not dead. Invincible headbutts Conquest's head in. The final panel shows a newly alive Eve, laying naked next to a battered Invincible who realizes she's fine just before passing out.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Blood and gore! Sigh. So anyway, yeah... this series has gotten very violent as of late. I maintain it's always been pretty violent. Issue 7, issue 11 and 12... and 23 and 38... 52... there's been stuff as bad as some of the suff in the past three issues in the series before, but yeah... never all in one story.

The point being, Invincible isn't a gore comic now... this is just another period in the life of the series. Invincible will be fun again and Invincible will be gory again... so yeah... things will progress as always, just like before.

The reason I enjoy this series so much, and will continue to work on it for as long as I can, is that it's so many things in one book. It's high drama, horrific violence, cool superheroics... and some romance all in one... it's a little something for everyone. And that's not going to change any time soon.

So there."

- Robert Kirkman

Green on
    edited July 2009
    Wait, wait, re 64
    I'm going to regret asking since I tradewait, but they just show her alive? No explanation? I guess the implication would be that she healed herself reflexively (like how she used her full powers before)?

mattharvest on
    edited July 2009
    Green wrote: »
    "Blood and gore! Sigh. So anyway, yeah... this series has gotten very violent as of late. I maintain it's always been pretty violent. Issue 7, issue 11 and 12... and 23 and 38... 52... there's been stuff as bad as some of the suff in the past three issues in the series before, but yeah... never all in one story.

The point being, Invincible isn't a gore comic now... this is just another period in the life of the series. Invincible will be fun again and Invincible will be gory again... so yeah... things will progress as always, just like before.

The reason I enjoy this series so much, and will continue to work on it for as long as I can, is that it's so many things in one book. It's high drama, horrific violence, cool superheroics... and some romance all in one... it's a little something for everyone. And that's not going to change any time soon.

So there."

- Robert Kirkman

Google doesn't seem to turn this up, so it musn't have ben crawled yet; where did you get it?

mattharvest on
    edited July 2009
    Wait, wait, re 64
    I'm going to regret asking since I tradewait, but they just show her alive? No explanation? I guess the implication would be that she healed herself reflexively (like how she used her full powers before)?
    No there is definitely some resurrection thing with her powers shown, pink light shoots out of her eyes and the hole in her torso

Green on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

So there."

- Robert Kirkman

You know what

I'm so mad I'm going to go make a post on the internet about this

Me Too! on
    edited July 2009

So there."

- Robert Kirkman

Google doesn't seem to turn this up, so it musn't have ben crawled yet; where did you get it?

It's the paragraph before this issue's mail section

Green on
  • KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I really liked that isuue.

I thought the
    headbutt pages were surprisingly effective. And I loved everything with Eve. Specifically her not being dead.

Kiwi on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

So there."

- Robert Kirkman

It's the paragraph before this issue's mail section

See what you people did, you upset Robert Kirkman slightly, bad posters, BAD.

Cade on
    edited July 2009
    Also I just noticed this
    Mark breaks Conquest's mecha-arm with his compound fracture, bone-through-the-skin arm

Holy shit

Green on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

So there."

- Robert Kirkman

Honestly, I don't see the problem here.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited July 2009
    Both comic shops in my city are sold out of #64 :( !

Hensler on
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's really fucking good.

Really good.

I'm not even going to reference anything from it. Just go find it, sit down, reread 63 and read it.

Good.

Tylerbroor on
    edited July 2009
    Ordered it online, should have it in a few days. This is the first time I've ever seen Invincible sold out in my shop. Damn tourists.

Hensler on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also I just noticed this
    Mark breaks Conquest's mecha-arm with his compound fracture, bone-through-the-skin arm

Holy shit
    I saw this in the preview: didn't his arm get messed up because of punching Conquest's arm?

SpeedySwaf on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah i'm pretty sure that smashing Conquests mecha-arm was what fucked marks arm up, anything else is just fucking stupid.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    Also I just noticed this

Holy shit
    I saw this in the preview: didn't his arm get messed up because of punching Conquest's arm?
    No, his arm was broken in #63

But it does really fuck up his arm, for the rest of the issue it just kind of flops around at horrible angles

Green on
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    Also I just noticed this

Holy shit
    No, his arm was broken in #63

But it does really fuck up his arm, for the rest of the issue it just kind of flops around at horrible angles
    actually the cover of 63 misleads with the whole broken arm thing, because it doesn't happen until he goes full force into conquest's robotic arm.

but man. such a good issue. eve alive and well. conquest a bloody pulp.

so glad i got to my LCS right as they were putting 64 up. last two months i had to go to another shop 30 minutes away to get them.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't have a problem with the gore of this issue (although yeah, it's a bit excessive).

But the whole thing took like 10 seconds to read.

Garlic Bread on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Meh, this issue didn't really do anything for me. Maybe now that this conquest business is done with it'll pick up again though, and I'm looking forward to the Allen the Alien mini-arc that's coming up with Cory Walker in 66-67.

BostonGangler on
  • NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Very pleased with this issue.

Laughed my ass off at monster girl covering Robot's eyes at the end.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    NOR wrote: »
    Very pleased with this issue.

Laughed my ass off at monster girl covering Robot's eyes at the end.

Ha, that's awesome! I completely missed that.

Kiwi on
    edited July 2009
    I just read 64, holy shit that was pretty much perfect.

Canada_jezus on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just terrible, I don't much care what Kirkman said in the back of the book about not going past this point, I think I'll be taking a break from this one for a while. We'll see how it looks down the road again I imagine.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited July 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Just terrible, I don't much care what Kirkman said in the back of the book about not going past this point, I think I'll be taking a break from this one for a while. We'll see how it looks down the road again I imagine.

I noticed you're avatar is Allen the Alien - issues 66 & 67 are going to be all Allen issues. You might want to check those out before you give up on the book :).

Hensler on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    1248482071.jpg

"It's time for the costume to come back," Kirkman told CBR News. "I always planned on having the new costume around for a little while. In 'Invincible,' I always try to do those fun superhero things that everybody does. I got to issue #50 and was like, 'Oh man, he's still got the same costume on? Most characters have changed costumes a couple of times by now!' I figured it'd be a fun thing to do."

Kirkman wouldn't reveal exactly why Mark would be returning to his original costume, other than to say that something important would happen that prompts the uniform change. "He will spill food on his costume and that inspires him to put on his old suit," the writer joked. "It'll be much less ridiculous in the book, I promise.

"The fact that he has been through such a rough patch lately is the major reason that he's ready to no longer look at himself in the blue-and-black costume," Kirkman teased further. "That blue-and-black costume represents a time period where he's had it a little rough. He's ready to put it behind him."

Issue #67 cover:
    1248482196.jpg

Nice to see them again.

KyleWPeterson on