As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hell's] Kitchen: There was no "voila" for me

LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is chef Gordon Ramsay.

200px-Gordon_Ramsay.jpg

He stars in a Fox television reality show called Hell's Kitchen.

Hells_Kitchen_UK_2009_Logo.jpg

You can catch old seasons on hulu.

Gordon Ramsay has an impeccable food service standard and a terrible potty mouth.

He is made famous by the extreme treatment of his employees, who are often fired after one or two ill-timed mistakes. This is after being yelled and screamed at about how useless, worthless, pathetic, dumb, stupid, idiotic, careless, wasteful, incompetent or just plain helpless they are. This makes for lousey working conditions, but great television.

If this intrigues you, you should also check out Kitchen Nightmares and his other shows from the UK.

About the show:

Every season, a group of cullinary misfits, rejects, failures and all around non-chefs are tricked into going through a lengthy job interview via reality TV. They suffer great misfortune, embarrassment and ridicule at the hands of an overbearing world famous chef and a way too uptight Belgian wait-staff manager. Every week, Ramsay will choose one or two among them and tell them to GET OUT! (You're fired! is trademarked apparently.) A series of cooking and food preperation challenges followed by dinner services are the meat and potatos of the show. Hell's Kitchen is apparently an actual restaurant that people go in order to obtain food. Unfortunately, this does not happen very often, esp. during the early episodes wherein the incompetence of the contestants is borne out. Instead the patrons are subjected to an impromptu dinner theater wherein the protagonists are subjected to screams of foul-mouthed invective by a be-smocked British villain. The final two contestants will have the opportunity to select the previously rejected 8 contestants in the final head to head food service. The prize at the end of this dark tunnel is a job contract at a fantabulous new restaurant.

This will be the sixth season of the show, and the 2 hour premiere was the most amazing yet, with the promise of fisicuffs between a roid raging New Yorker and the demon prince of Hell's Kitchen himself, rugby and futball veteran Gordon Ramsay.

My money is on the angry Brit.

Red Team
[strike]Melinda[/strike] - Wasted enough pasta to feed Italy.
[strike]Lovely[/strike] - Wasn't very.
[strike]Tek[/strike] - Lost her steak in the game.
[strike]Amanda[/strike] - She could TOTALLY win Hell's Kitchen.
Suzanne
Tennille
Ariel
Sabrina

Blue Team
[strike]Louie[/strike] - Fucked up an entire lamb's worth of lamb chops.
[strike]Joseph[/strike] - Wasn't no bitch.
[strike]Tony[/strike] - Learned to cook from his heart.
[strike]Jim[/strike] - If he only had a heart.
[strike]Robert[/strike] - " " " " " " that works.
[strike]Andy[/strike] - Sliced off the tips of his talentless fingers.
Dave
Kevin
Van

OP to be updated as show progresses.

ElJeffe on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kitchen Nightmares is a fantastic show and I'd like to start watching this one from Season 1.

urahonky on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh god I hope they actually fight

Ramsey will kick that douchebag's ass so hard

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I still don't understand why that guy didn't just answer Ramsay's question.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The end seemed a bit too "scripted". No way someone could be that douchey, specially after Ramsey wasn't even instigating the guy.

And I really like Kitchen Nightmare's too. Ramsey seems like a pretty good guy in that show.

Kyougu on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like Ramsay's BBC stuff better than his FOX stuff. The latter is obviously scripted and worked to the point of insanity. That said, it's still awesome guilty pleasure TV.

And my money's on the Brit, too.

Nightslyr on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Having worked in a few kitchens in my lifetime, Ramsey has never struck me as extreme. In fact, he seems rather helpful in teaching his employees/candidates. Frankly, (TV effect aside) this strikes me as SOP for fancy restaurants.

Was I working in all the wrong places? Or have others shared my experience?

enc0re on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes, his BBC shows are entirely better. They don't bleep out the naughty words and it does feel a bit more genuine.

US Kitchen Nightmares has nothing on UK Kitchen Nightmares IMHO.

LightRider on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love the trainwreck this show is. Every season follows exactly the same patterns of challenges and screw-ups, with no variation. And despite that it's still entertaining for some reason.

Are they still making beef wellington? I used to love the inevitable blow up after someone screwed up the beef wellington.

Also, the patented Ramsey "SOMEONE COULD HAVE DIED!!!" after some jackass tries to serve raw chicken rather than delay getting a plate out because they're so scared of him.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    LightRider wrote: »
    Yes, his BBC shows are entirely better. They don't bleep out the naughty words and it does feel a bit more genuine.

US Kitchen Nightmares has nothing on UK Kitchen Nightmares IMHO.

Besides understandable English :)

RUNN1NGMAN on
    edited July 2009
    enc0re wrote: »
    Having worked in a few kitchens in my lifetime, Ramsey has never struck me as extreme. In fact, he seems rather helpful in teaching his employees/candidates. Frankly, (TV effect aside) this strikes me as SOP for fancy restaurants.

From what I've seen, his style of running a kitchen is not alien to the ways of the great kitchens of the world. It is amazing to see though. I have never once doubted his enthusiasm and passion for cooking though. He really is great at his craft and the level of quality he demands from his employees is top notch.

I had some friends lucky enough to eat in one of his restaurants and they continue to marvel at the experience. Apparently, the man knows how to get shit done well.

LightRider on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Well, bear in mind that his reputation has largely been made by people who have never worked in kitchens themselves. I thought he was a bit extreme at first as well, but then I realized that he was yelling at people for ruining entire dinner services and wasting up to thousands of dollars worth of food, and that sort of thing really does merit every expression of anger short of a punch to the face.

I can't say I like Hell's Kitchen all that much, though. It seems to me that they start every season by picking up a bunch of people who clearly won't be able to do the job (belligerent douche bags who can't cook worth a shit), and then we're supposed to act surprised when most of them fail. I'd much rather watch a program where everyone chosen at the start was skilled and creative enough to be a legitimate contender for the top spot.

Also, I second whomever said that Kitchen Nightmares is better on the BBC than on Fox. The Fox version is way too focused on personal drama, antics, and makeovers for me, as the main reason I watch is because I'm interested in how a restaurant is run and what sort of changes can be made to a menu in order to push it from on the brink to thriving. I also prefer Gordon doing the voiceover to random narrator.

The F Word's pretty good too.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

From what I've seen, his style of running a kitchen is not alien to the ways of the great kitchens of the world. It is amazing to see though. I have never once doubted his enthusiasm and passion for cooking though. He really is great at his craft and the level of quality he demands from his employees is top notch.

I had some friends lucky enough to eat in one of his restaurants and they continue to marvel at the experience. Apparently, the man knows how to get shit done well.

Yeah, your restaurants don't earn a total of 16 Michellen Stars for being average. His expectations are among the most exacting in the culinary world.

As for his attitude being SOP, I'd say it's pretty spot-on. I worked as a server in The American Restaurant here in Kansas City, when executive chef Michael Smith (James Beard award winner) was there. He was pretty brutal in his critiquing of the sous chefs if they did things even a tiny bit off.

Chef Smith didn't curse quite as much as Gordon does, but on a busy night the F-bombs would fly if things got backed up.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The show is a guilty pleasure, nothing more really. How people can wait hours for their food is something I could never fathom, I'd just leave after an hour or sooner if something as simple as a salad appetizer can't be sent out.

This is worth mentioning though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCU3K6l95Xw

TexiKen on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I've worked at grease spoons that have far higher standards than what some of the chefs I've seen on the show have. That said, I have no doubt that Ramsey's own businesses by far outstrip those places, but the mistakes some of the people make earlier in aren't unfortunate mistakes. They're horrific ineptitude that would get them fired from anywhere.

To say nothing of his other series where he went around saving restaurants run by people that had no clue what they were doing.

Quid on
    edited July 2009
    If anything, Kitchen Nightmares has scared me into never eating at a strange restaurant ever again. Health Inspections are a joke, apparently.

RE Youtube video: Ha! Almost spot on. I liked that the end of the show had him coming back after a few months to see great success or horrible failure in his absence.

LightRider on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not a fan of Hell's Kitchen, but Kitchen Nightmares is great. I always find it funny that the Americans call Ramsey "Chef Ramsey" all the time. Maybe the producers tell them?

Also his shows in the UK aren't BBC they're Channel 4.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited July 2009
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Hell's Kitchen, but Kitchen Nightmares is great. I always find it funny that the Americans call Ramsey "Chef Ramsey" all the time. Maybe the producers tell them?

Also his shows in the UK aren't BBC they're Channel 4.

I just realized that I thought that British people only had one channel.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2009
    I thought BBC was all channels, like BBC 1, BBC 2, etc... Am I horribly wrong about this?

Edit: These Mitchell and Webb things are frackin hilarious.

LightRider on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Besides understandable English :)

The english is significantly less painful on the UK edition.

Oh sure, there's the occasional baffling accent, but The Fox Announcer (tm) gets really, really old on the US edition of the show. The writing staff on that show needs a swift and merciless beating. Edit: also, Ramsay returning to the resteraunt a few months later to see how things are going is something I love about the UK edition, and find bafflingly absent from the US edition, at least most of the time.

My girlfriend has gotten me hooked onto Ramsay's shows, and I agree that the UK Nightmare Kitchens is the superior show between the two. I also enjoy The F Word. I never got into Hell's Kitchen originally, because I felt it was just a loudmouthed guy being an asshole, with little constructive about it. Having seen him bend over backwards to fix up a variety of restauransts, I can appreciate his style of... critique with a grain of salt and just enjoy the spectacle.

Speaking of which, the opening of this season of Hell's Kitchen was indeed awesome, and I too am putting money on the angry Scottish rugby player. I say he wrecks the guy in one shot, if the guy is dumb enough to take a swing.

This season's winner won't be determined by who is the finest chef; it'll be the man or woman who's still standing after Ramsay's knocked the rest out.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought BBC was all channels, like BBC 1, BBC 2, etc... Am I horribly wrong about this?
    I...
    This is a joke, right?

Just in case:
    The BBC currently expends public funds on production and maintenance of: BBC1-4, BBC Radio 1-5, Various regional BBC radio stations, BBC New 24, BBC Parliament and a couple of others.
    The various independent (i.e. they have commercials) channels include ITV 1-4, Channel 4 (and subsidiaries like E4 and Film 4), Channel Five and variations, plus the various subscription cable/satellite channels, of which the most prominent is Sky 1 (essentially Fox UK).
    The "traditional" layout orders the channels BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV 1, Channel 4, Channel Five, then everything else, for historical reasons.

On topic; I'm pretty sure most of the contestants for the original version of Hell's Kitchen are actual aspiring chefs since they don't seem to screw up nearly as much.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I enjoy The F Word more. Also, I believe he is entirely based off Gareth Blackstock from Chef! with Lenny Henry.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited July 2009
    Is it just me, or do the restaurants on the US Kitchen Nightmares fail more often than the ones on UK Kitchen Nightmares?

According to wiki, most of the US restaurants ended up closing or ending up under new ownership.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    On topic; I'm pretty sure most of the contestants for the original version of Hell's Kitchen are actual aspiring chefs since they don't seem to screw up nearly as much.

Not according to Wiki.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Hell's Kitchen was a reality show, which aired on ITV1, and saw Ramsay attempt to train ten British celebrities to be chefs, as they ran a restaurant on Brick Lane which opened to the public for the two-week duration of the show.

Forar on
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When I was in Ireland last year, I caught a few reruns of Hell's Kitchen that weren't censored. I must say, at the time I found the US version more entertaining, as in the uncensored one yeah, there's swearing, but half the time my brain didn't even recognize it as anything other than normal discussion/shouting. On the US version, the loud and frequent bleeping catches your ear a lot more than the word "fuck", making it that much funnier.

Tangent note: my dad didn't realize they swore on Sopranos for a season and a half, because he works a blue collar job, and thus that is the typical quality of discourse, and thus the non-stop f-bombs didn't grab his attention as unusual.

CJTheran on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is it just me, or do the restaurants on the US Kitchen Nightmares fail more often than the ones on UK Kitchen Nightmares?

I stumbled across this website a while back when looking for the same stuff.

It's pretty much a 25% success rate.

Even the best UK success story, Mama Cheriss' Soul Food Shack went under because she expanded the restaurant too quickly.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I...
    This is a joke, right?

Just in case:
    The BBC currently expends public funds on production and maintenance of: BBC1-4, BBC Radio 1-5, Various regional BBC radio stations, BBC New 24, BBC Parliament and a couple of others.
    The various independent (i.e. they have commercials) channels include ITV 1-4, Channel 4 (and subsidiaries like E4 and Film 4), Channel Five and variations, plus the various subscription cable/satellite channels, of which the most prominent is Sky 1 (essentially Fox UK).
    The "traditional" layout orders the channels BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV 1, Channel 4, Channel Five, then everything else, for historical reasons.

I appologize for being ignorant of the UK's crazy TV channels.

LightRider on
    edited July 2009

According to wiki, most of the US restaurants ended up closing or ending up under new ownership.

9/21 restaurants on the US version are still operating under the same ownership. The same is true for 8/22 in the UK version.

Until looking this up, I had no idea how successful these restaurants end up being. Turning a failing restaurant around is a nigh impossible task, yet 40% are still open? I'm impressed. I figured like one per season would survive post Ramsay's presence.

enc0re on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

9/21 restaurants on the US version are still operating under the same ownership. The same is true for 8/22 in the UK version.

Until looking this up, I had no idea how successful these restaurants end up being. Turning a failing restaurant around is a nigh impossible task, yet 40% are still open? I'm impressed. I figured like one per season would survive post Ramsay's presence.

Especially with the economy the way it is. Many times, after an episode of KN, I'd google the restaurant and they'd be closed. There's one that had the best wings or whatever that closed because of the economy. But it says on their site that they will open back up when things look better.

urahonky on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hell's Kitchen is an awful show, in my opinion. Just another reality-tripestravaganza. Most of the contestants (at least on the one season I watched, whilst writhing in agony) aren't even competent chefs. The season finale (no idea which I watched) was effing mac and cheese vs. fried chicken for their "signature dishes". It was absolutely deplorable.

Kitchen Nightmares (UK Version, haven't seen the US one), however, is great. I'm not sure I understand why I enjoy this more, but I do. Could be because it's actual restaurant owners and people who actually know how to cook.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    From watching a few episodes over a few seasons, I can safely assume the only things they really ever cook there are risotto and scallops.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    From watching a few episodes over a few seasons, I can safely assume the only things they really ever cook there are risotto and scallops.

Granted, if you're training someone to be a chef, having them cook risotto until they puke is a pretty good way to teach them some fundamentals... but the show isn't called, "So, You Think You Can Cook?".

Chanus on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The main difference between UK Gordon Ramsey and US Gordon Ramsey is that in the US they want and encourage him to yell and scream... Sometimes by giving him idiots like the contestants on hell's kitchen or like in every episode of US kitchen nightmare of having owners that refuse every bit of advise and do the whole " who the hell does he think he is" bit. On the UK version most of the owners are so appreciative of all the help he gives... And he doesn't have to add drama for the cameras either...

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
    edited July 2009
    I love how on every US Kitchen Nightmares, the restaurant in question is always, almost without fail, "the most challenging _____ Gordon's ever faced". All of them. Apparently they manage to top themselves for fucked up Kitchens every single week.

Yes, it's standard Fox Hyperbole (tm), but it's laid on so thick you could drown in it if you're not careful.

Forar on
    edited July 2009
    Disco11 wrote: »
    The main difference between UK Gordon Ramsey and US Gordon Ramsey is that in the US they want and encourage him to yell and scream... Sometimes by giving him idiots like the contestants on hell's kitchen or like in every episode of US kitchen nightmare of having owners that refuse every bit of advise and do the whole " who the hell does he think he is" bit. On the UK version most of the owners are so appreciative of all the help he gives... And he doesn't have to add drama for the cameras either...

I've also noticed that here in the States, people don't seem to realize he's an actual chef with forty-brazillion Michelin Star restaurants. They think he's just some "English" (I know, they don't) guy with anger management issues.

Chanus on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

My thoughts exactly, that's what I made last night to celebrate the start of the new season.
    Chanus wrote: »
    Hell's Kitchen is an awful show, in my opinion. Just another reality-tripestravaganza. Most of the contestants (at least on the one season I watched, whilst writhing in agony) aren't even competent chefs. The season finale (no idea which I watched) was effing mac and cheese vs. fried chicken for their "signature dishes". It was absolutely deplorable.

I'm pretty sure last season that chick Lacey was kept around to serve as an annoyance and nothing more. Any real competition would have kicked her off on the 1st day. There always seem to be very clear cut front runners, and then a bunch of people that can't even make a salad.

Snarfmaster on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, I second whomever said that Kitchen Nightmares is better on the BBC than on Fox. The Fox version is way too focused on personal drama, antics, and makeovers for me, as the main reason I watch is because I'm interested in how a restaurant is run and what sort of changes can be made to a menu in order to push it from on the brink to thriving. I also prefer Gordon doing the voiceover to random narrator.
    I agree with you. It seems like the US show looks for the most pig-headed restaurant owners in an attempt to create a screaming match with Ramsey. The UK version seemed to focus more on the business aspects. There isn't much talk of feelings or family relationships on the British show.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    I agree with you. It seems like the US show looks for the most pig-headed restaurant owners in an attempt to create a screaming match with Ramsey. The UK version seemed to focus more on the business aspects. There isn't much talk of feelings or family relationships on the British show.

And from what I've seen of the US version, Ramsey doesn't just go in screaming and shouting, he starts reasonable and only gets angry when they act like petulant children. Also the cooks some of these owners employ seem dumb as fucking hell.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009
    I've also noticed that here in the States, people don't seem to realize he's an actual chef with forty-brazillion Michelin Star restaurants. They think he's just some "English" (I know, they don't) guy with anger management issues.

First, you'd have to explain to Americans what a Michelin Star is. And then you'd have to slap 'em around a bit when they ask why he hasn't got any "4 star" restaurants. All in all, not worth the effort.

But seriously, I'd appreciate if the US version spent some time explaining that much of his behavior isn't arrogance. It's trying to communicate where your skills/standards must be to compete at the top.

enc0re on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

First, you'd have to explain to Americans what a Michelin Star is. And then you'd have to slap 'em around a bit when they ask why he hasn't got any "4 star" restaurants. All in all, not worth the effort.

But seriously, I'd appreciate if the US version spent some time explaining that much of his behavior isn't arrogance. It's trying to communicate where your skills/standards must be to compete at the top.

I don't know sometimes its not even competing at the top its serving competent food in a timely fashion. Or in some instances "How not to give people food poisoning jesus christ what the hell is wrong with you?"

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009
    Unsolicited tip to the guy who wants to fight Ramsay:

Don't ever get into fight with someone who cuts things for a living.

enc0re on