As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night and [PHOTO] Every Day

• StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here's a bunch of pictures from the Manassas Battlefield, which is right down the street from where I live. Some pretty nice landscape photo opportunities here. These are only from the general vicinity of the welcome center.

3743084971_db77c6a6c3.jpg

3743081477_97907ab55d.jpg

3743872250_e49f05ba73.jpg

3743868322_9ed5a1055f.jpg

3746904530_5585571a8f.jpg

3746108249_34d9dca7cd.jpg

3746899356_6474cf6737.jpg

3746111137_c1a02abce1.jpg

Stregone on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Get there before the sun rises and shoot until daylight.

None of these are particularly striking photos, though the last three are probably the strongest of the series. Go back and reshoot those in better lighting. Work on balancing your sky and your foreground also. Most of these shots have the sky turned into one big white blown out mass as opposed to others which have patches of blue in between white blown out masses.

The guy reading the sign? Really?

Uncle Long on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Uberslug wrote: »
    Love those leaves dude, but I think they definitely look better in color.

I actually like the first leaf picture the best because of the negative space and contrast in the leaf. Honestly doesn't really strike me very much as a strong subject but thats just me and my tastes, though contrast makes them technically rather good IMO.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • MuncieMuncie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    These aren't fantastic pictures but I'm not sure what I could have done differently to capture them better.

3747541998_e2cb128287_o.jpg

Here's the second of three attempts. The first attempt was a blown out mess, but it made the guy kinda look like a superhero.
    3747542254_4b6a50f474_o.jpg

Muncie on
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I actually like the first leaf picture the best because of the negative space and contrast in the leaf. Honestly doesn't really strike me very much as a strong subject but thats just me and my tastes, though contrast makes them technically rather good IMO.

I agree, although it would be better without the stalk running out of the frame.

carpark.jpg

vancouver.jpg

bridge.jpg

ferry.jpg

river.jpg

tower.jpg

treescape.jpg

Jake! on
  • limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here are some of my shots, I only recently got into photography but I'm lovin it so far.

3733397289_33734fec7f.jpg

3734196454_b139eaa75f.jpg

3734210278_86825186f0.jpg

limester816 on
    edited July 2009
    Muncie wrote: »
    These aren't fantastic pictures but I'm not sure what I could have done differently to capture them better.

3747541998_e2cb128287_o.jpgHere's the second of three attempts. The first attempt was a blown out mess, but it made the guy kinda look like a superhero.
    3747542254_4b6a50f474_o.jpg[IMG][/img]

I would step back so you get the entire fire ball in the frame. Use a higher shutter speed / lower fstop to try and freeze the fire. Usually there is quite a bit of light from blowing fire so you shouldn't have to turn up the iso much if at all.

Jake: I like the cone picture but I think you could have tilted the camera a little more counter clockwise so you could get the cones going more along the diagonal.

CommunistCow on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    muninn wrote: »

I love this shot, but I'm not entirely sure why.

Flay on
  • needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jake - I like them all, but that symmetric rope bridge one is fantastic. Well done.

Pope - very nice work with the leaves. I like the 4th one the best, and the macro shot.

needOptic on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Howdy, me again. Still a 19 year-old amateur photographer who is going to be traveling. Haven't owned a camera, but I really don't want to limit myself and I'm a quick learner when it comes to this kinda stuff.

I'm starting to narrow things down; does anyone have any experience/knowledge about any of the following: Nikon D50/D70, Canon Rebel XS/XSi, 20D? I'm leaning towards a D50, but I'd love to hear some more input.

Charles Kinbote on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have the 20D and love it. I might recommend getting a Rebel instead (Xti would be great) and spend the saved $$ on lenses. Xs and Xsi might be good - do they have the self-cleaning sensor? That's one feature I really covet. I'm about to take a small trip and need to clean my sensor before I go ... it gets tedious.

erisian pope on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Rebels since the xti have had Self cleaning sensors yes. I've had my Xti for... 3 years now I think, maybe a bit more. I'm just now needing a new camera. But, I've loved it and will still use it when I go snowboarding and such. I would recommend it but if you go with a Rebel, get a battery pack.

Prospicience on
    edited July 2009
    Well I have an upper price limit at about $525 so I think fancy lenses will have to wait. KEH.com has a 20D in excellent condition for exactly that - the only Rebel in my price range is, uh, an XS. Would a 20D be better than that?

I've done so much research today that everything is starting to blur together and I keep retracing my steps, but it seems like the 20D is the best camera within my price range, while the Rebel is what an amateur "should" buy? I'm really starting to gravitate toward the 20D now.

Charles Kinbote on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Xs is newer than the Xt unless I am mistaken...but I'm pretty sure.

erisian pope on
  • UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a 10D and it's beginning to show its age. Taking a bunch of pictures in a row is sometimes impossible and viewing them takes up to 2 minutes. :C

Uberslug on
    edited July 2009
    So the 20D seems to be really popular. The main downsides seem to be the tiny viewscreen and the relative size.

Is the viewscreen a big deal? Am I going to be sick of having to peer at that tiny thing?

Also is it significantly bigger than the Rebel line? Is it heavy enough that I'll get tired of lugging it around? It's like a half pound heavier, doesn't seem like a big deal.

I dunno! I keep going in circles. The Rebel XS is sold out on KEH too, which is a bummer.

Charles Kinbote on
    edited July 2009
    Shankill Butcher:

I've just come back from a 2,000 mile cycling trip. I carried a 50D, 3 batteries and three big lenses, and I felt like that was worth doing. In all honesty, I'd worry more about what you're taking in total, and not half a pound of camera.

edit: speaking of which

amanda.jpg

[img]http://www.jacoblewisgraphicdesign.com/photos/usa/space needle.jpg[/img]

dunes.jpg

dune2.jpg

abbeyroad.jpg

telegraph.jpg

jedi.jpg

beachbikes.jpg

Cow: I agree. Unfortunately the line above the cones, and the drain bottom right, didn't line up well with the frame at a greater angle, so I shot it like that instead.

nO: thanks, I could've shot in that forest all day. The texture you get from the trees was fantastic.

Jake! on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man I'm in a major slump. I really really want to go take pics but I find it's waaay to fucking hot every time i go out and i can't get any inspiration :( WTF.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    altmann wrote: »
    Oh man I'm in a major slump. I really really want to go take pics but I find it's waaay to fucking hot every time i go out and i can't get any inspiration :( WTF.

I'm in a slump as well. Mostly because it won't STOP BLOODY RAINING ON MY DAYS OFF *murderous rage*.

So I feel you!

BladeX on
    edited July 2009
    So the 20D seems to be really popular. The main downsides seem to be the tiny viewscreen and the relative size.

Is the viewscreen a big deal? Am I going to be sick of having to peer at that tiny thing?

Also is it significantly bigger than the Rebel line? Is it heavy enough that I'll get tired of lugging it around? It's like a half pound heavier, doesn't seem like a big deal.

I dunno! I keep going in circles. The Rebel XS is sold out on KEH too, which is a bummer.

Personally I have big hands and I actually prefer my cameras to be bigger and to have a battery grip so my hands don't get in the way of the focus ring on the lens.

For reference I'm 5'11" and the span from my thumb to pinky when stretched out is about 9+"

The weight difference is negligible for most of those cameras there is a big jump between no battery grip and battery grip and an even bigger jump from canon with battery grip to the pro 1d series weight.

If you are choosing between a 10d an a 20d I would go with the 20d because the AF in low light is quite a bit better. I'm sure the AF in low light on the rebel xti/xsi is better than the 10d.

CommunistCow on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    long time no photos eh

3741083177_24689309e3_b.jpg

3738047858_c089efdd3e_b.jpg

Sueve on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like both, the first one is great.

The second is neat but the DoF is odd, like the right half is out of focus and does funky things with my eyes.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited July 2009
    that second photo is wicked it looks like you did a long exposure with a zoom on some sort of powder.

CommunistCow on
  • drewethdreweth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am probably going to be bottom'd here, but I will post anyway.

I tend to lurk in the [PHOTO] thread, in awe of the shots that you folks post. I feel I have hit the limits that my small P&S can really do, and am stepping up to an entry-level DSLR. I chose the XS based on recommendations here, price, and features that I will use. I would have liked the XSi, but couldn't justify the extra ~$160, when I could use that to buy accessories that I need.

At any rate, I bought the XS, a small but decent bag, the 50mm prime lens that is worshipped by most for price and functionality, an 8gb SDHC card, and an extra battery. I am very excited!

The other reason I am posting, outside of sharing the "new gear!" excitement, is that I feel like I need to invest in either some lens filters, or lens hoods, and you folks are the only experts I know.

Should I be buying filters to protect the lens, hoods, or both? If so, what types?

The Tiffen models on Amazon have lots of ratings (which generally means purchases), but most of them complain of glare since they are not multicoated. There are inexpensive multicoated ones, but from brands I am not familiar with.

Any suggestions or personal recommendations on lens filters and hoods would be awesome.

dreweth on
    dreweth.jpg
    dreweth.gif
  • UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a UV filter on my lens at all times, but I think a hood might be a better option, because I've heard of filters getting stuck to lenses when dropped, etc.

broodq.jpg

also, C&C on this would be awesome. the lighting on the right side is not the true color, but you probably already know that.

Uberslug on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just some photos i took during my trip through Fort Frolic. Photography in video games count, right?

v33vir.jpg

whimft.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well the Canon 50mm's glass is so recessed it almost acts like it's own lens hood.

BladeX on
  • KAJedKAJed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Uberslug: that shot actually looks like CG. I like it.

KAJed on
    edited July 2009
    WCK: thanks for reminding me that the forum has an ignore feature

Uber: Personally speaking, I'm not a massive fan of the shot as it stands, and even less with the ps'ing. The background could at least do with some noise if you want to make it black, and you need a much better crop, especially around the ears. Sorry!

trikeredwood.jpg

redwood.jpg

birds.jpg

dish.jpg

Jake! on
  • limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here's a couple I took yesterday morning..

edit: forgot to mention that I really like your cycling photos, Jake

3750517359_11f667bae9.jpg

3753313986_c731d61999.jpg

limester816 on
  • drewethdreweth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BladeX wrote: »
    Well the Canon 50mm's glass is so recessed it almost acts like it's own lens hood.

Well, I will have plenty of time to inspect that, as it appears that I will be receiving my prime lens, as well as all my other accessories, about a week or two before the actual camera arrives. Arg.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edit:

Also, it's about time I actually participate in this thread and post a picture. As will be obvious, I am an amatuer, but I am always learning. However, the thread is also about feedback, so feel free to exercise that. Until my new camera comes in, any pictures I post are taken with a old P&S.

Christmas_20081102_0114-1.jpg

dreweth on
    dreweth.jpg
    dreweth.gif
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shankill: joooooin usss, get the Nikon D50.

My brother recently bought a D50 with only 2k actuations, kit lens, 100mm and the 50mm prime for about $500. Its a beast of a camera, that got replaced by the D40 because it was cutting into the higher end market.

Jake, the last photo seems a bit like it has too many blown out elements, that make things a bit washed out and distracting.

Incidentally, anyone care to comment on the color/exposure of my photos? I cannot calibrate my monitor to spec, so I am curious if they come out too garish/dark/bright/whatever.

muninn on
    edited July 2009
    Did a fashion shoot on Thursday. Didn't get many good photos but here are the best:

3755160219_2cca2becc0_o.jpg

3755160191_12e783d948_o.jpg

3755957122_894def5c76_o.jpg

and trying to play with some negative space / composition...
    3755957118_2e3f2b1767_o.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lots of good stuff here guys. I particularly like Lotus Jet's shot of the clouds with the reflection in the window on page 2, great color.

I've been busy moving and doing other things and generally taking a break from photography but here's a shot of the view from my new place.

skyline.jpg

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
    edited July 2009
    Hey Salti:

hill.jpg

Cow: I like the texture of the last, and the comp of the third best. With the first, I think you need to either crop into the hair, or give it more space. Also the third would benefit by more uniform lighting of the bench, to contrast the rigidity of the lines with the more organic lines of the model. Finally, I think you could use a little more separation between subject and background in terms of lighting. Oh yeah, and the pose on that last shot, really nice, very natural and a little moody.

Jake! on
    edited July 2009
    Hey hey, what's that? Hill St? That's 2 blocks from me.

saltiness on
    edited July 2009
    that looks like a nice city, where is that?

Charles Kinbote on
    edited July 2009
    It's the very top end of Elizabeth, near the pedestrian walkway over market. I spent most of last month in the Mission...here's another. The bridge is quite a good vantage point, I meant to go back at night, but never did.

curvebridge.jpg

Shankill: San Francisco

Jake! on
    edited July 2009
    Ahh ok. Still pretty close to me. I'm still figuring out the area.

saltiness on
This discussion has been closed.