As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroes of Newerth (HoN) - ITT we stop buying the Runed Axe already!

• Options
    Battle JesusBattle Jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my username is Aarnog. I might be on later tonight.

Battle Jesus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got a key (thanks Lurk!) and will be downloading it tonight.

Username: Kris_xK

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the key whomever sent it. I'll probably be on a little later as redraptor. Is there a channel system or something to meet under?

redraptor on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It'd be nice if people only request from ONE person at a time. If they get sent, they are used up even if you already got a key. If you do get a second key, please let people in the thread know so they can get it from you.

Also, FYI, we need your emails.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't worry about being awful. We're all generally pretty bad 'round these parts. And besides, the vast majority of us are playing simply for the fun factor, so nobody's gonna shit on your head for not knowing what's going on.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I tried playing DotA a few times... but I wasn't l33t enough and normally got bitched at constantly for being a noob.

would be fun to give this a try. I plan on playing League of Legends when it comes out as well.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The HoN players aren't any less elitist than the DotA players. Only difference is there's a slightly better matchmaking criteria (e.g. "newbs only" games that only allow new players in, doesn't top the good players from getting in, though), and a lot more people just trying to figure out what's going on.

Also, built in voice chat means you can be called names in a dozen languages, and with such colourful accents. Good times.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    got a key, thanks :)

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    thanks for the key dracil. I'll make my account in a few hours when i'm home from work.

@page- you know, if i could get some people from new zealand in there bitching me out about how suck i am, i wouldn't care, because i'd be laughing so hard the tears would prevent me from even playing :lol:

/played WoW with a group from NZ, it was freakin hilarious to listen to their conversations.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks a lot for the key Dracil. Ill be sure to post my in-game name here once I create an account.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    thanks Dracil, you're the man

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about being awful. We're all generally pretty bad 'round these parts. And besides, the vast majority of us are playing simply for the fun factor, so nobody's gonna shit on your head for not knowing what's going on.

I gotta say, this is exactly how I would describe my experience in playing DOTA. bravo sir... i've been chortling to myself for the last 10 minutes thinking about it.

I'm glad there is some form of match making.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks to Dracil for the Beta Key ^^

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dracil you da man. Thanks!

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is the greatest game of all time and I never have to play dota again. That is all. I have 3 keys but I dunno what I'm doing with them just yet.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay I am in. My in game nick is deadwizard, add me to the OP please!

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    there a list of DotA item names to HoN item names?

Shabooty on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The item sorting in the shop is pretty good, you can figure out what's what pretty fast in a solo game, just make it private and invite noone.

I love how earthshacker got replaced by Behemoth, which was the siege unit of the beasts in Savage 1. I just noticed that now.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would love a beta key as well if there are any left.

Ashdrake on
    I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think it'd be nice to try this game, even though I'm absolutely terrible at DotA.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yay, thanks Dracil!

Scosglen on
  • Options
    baronfelbaronfel Would you say I have a _plethora_?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Muchos Gracias, Dracil, downloading now!

baronfel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh jees I idled for a second and the game autoboots you actually, my bad. I was staring at items for part of it. You neglect how much of being good at Dota is just being familar with all the heroes, abilities, and items.

I did think it was funny that some of the heroes are so similar that people actually refer to them as the names of their dota counterparts. I guess its a matter of matching up who is who in the new visual style. The interface seems strong at a first glance, albeit a bit confusing.

redraptor on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd be interested in a key if there are any left.

I never got WC3 so I missed out on DoTA, but it always looked interesting. Plus I always was a fan of the savage series.

e:got one!

Morkath on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd love to give it a try if anyone has an extra key. Otherwise I'd just be curious to get your impressions on it.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm downloading now, account name is Scosglen. Anyone else in the beta feel free to message me and we can play some games.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Many thanks to Dracil for the beta invite. Username is Peewi and I'm downloading it now.

Peewi on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd like a key whenever more become available.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Woo, thanks Dracil!

Will install it when I get home from work tonight.

Morkath on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    redraptor wrote: »
    Oh jees I idled for a second and the game autoboots you actually, my bad. I was staring at items for part of it. You neglect how much of being good at Dota is just being familar with all the heroes, abilities, and items.

I did think it was funny that some of the heroes are so similar that people actually refer to them as the names of their dota counterparts. I guess its a matter of matching up who is who in the new visual style. The interface seems strong at a first glance, albeit a bit confusing.
    It is kind of weird that this is literally a direct almost picture perfect copy of Dota. I mean wouldn't they get in trouble for basically making the exact same game?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Icefrog is completely fine with it. I don't know why S2 doesn't just hire him though.

Technically Blizzard could sue because I believe there is a clause in the WC3 editor that states that all content made in the editor is property of Blizzard (or something to that effect) but that's never going to happen.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Icefrog is completely fine with it. I don't know why S2 doesn't just hire him though.

Technically Blizzard could sue because I believe there is a clause in the WC3 editor that states that all content made in the editor is property of Blizzard (or something to that effect) but that's never going to happen.

Its cool that he gave them the go ahead, but I feel bad that a lot of the work that he and some of the other people who had worked on DoTA kind of got vultured here. If they had managed to get him to come over it really would have helped to legitimize the game as a dota-killer.

redraptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, it's DotA as of a few versions ago, and poorly balanced right now for being that. If they keep copying DotA it isn't going to work, if they start doing their own thing then they have a chance.

It'll be interesting to see how the implement new things from DotA. I'm looking at QoP right now, who has been nerfed to hell in the current version of DotA, but is one of the characters slated to be introduced to HoN soon. Or what they're going to do about towers and backdooring. 6.60+ of DotA reworked the towers and added a new anti-backdooring system, HoN is backdoor central right now without any way of stopping it -- there's not even a glyph yet. As well, certain items work differently in HoN, making characters play differently. Like Luna (Moon Queen) can get and use some items in HoN that she couldn't really use in DotA, making for some good times. Or which version of the Blink Dagger they're going to use (old, free blink where everyone and their brother gets it, super nerfed blink where it was almost useless, or current blink that's pretty good and only a must have for a few characters).

The game plays a lot faster than DotA, seems to be just the way the engine works, so I don't know if it's going to be more push oriented than DotA is now -- and DotA is pretty push oriented right now, or if they're going to pull that back and make ricing better, which some people like and I personally can't stand.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The blink dagger's already in, when you get hit by an enemy hero it gives it a 3 sec CD.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I know it's in. I meant, what are they going to do with it. If they're using the current model, that's fine.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought ricing meant adding a bunch of useless bling to a "race car".

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I found this nice list that compares all the heroes to old heroes and the new heroes' abilities to the old ones:
    (it's a copy paste off the beta balancing forums but as far as text goes the NDA's been lifted, this is still shamelessly stealing)
    [B]Legion (21)[/B]
    Agility (5+1)
    Night Hound.......= Stealth Assassin
    Swiftblade........= Juggernaut (healing ward replaced with single target version of Axe's counterattack)
    Magebane..........= Anti-Mage
    Moon Queen........= Moon Rider(Luna)
    Wildsoul..........= Lone Druid(Syllabear)
    Intelligence (5+2)
    Blacksmith...-....= Ogre Magi
    Thunderbringer....= Lord of Olympia(Zeus)
    Pollywog priest...= Rhasta
    Pyromancer........= Slayer(Lina Inverse)
    Tempest...........= Enigma
    Strength (7+1)
    Armadon...........= Bristleback
    Behemoth..........= Earthshaker
    Hammerstorm.......= Rogue Knight(Sven)
    Jereziah.........~= Omniknight (passive slow aura changed to passive slow similar to admirals passive)
    Legionnaire.......= Axe
    Pebbles..........~= Stone Giant(Tiny) (stun passive no longer stuns, but reduces debuff time)
    Keeper of Forest ~= Treant Protector (armor/regen buff replaced with pick up tree, eyes no longer truesight, but heals nearby units)

New heroes (4)
    Scout.............1. Vanish (similar to bounty hunter WW, except increases movespeed by 10%/20%/30%/40%)
    ..................2. Place Electric Eye (sees invis)
    ..................3. 2x crit passive + evade (similar to bounty hunter passive)
    ..................4. Ulti: Replica of Sniper ulti

Nymphora..........1. AoE - heal+dmg (360heal/dmg? on lvl 4)
    ..................2. Next cast cost 0 mana (active buff)
    ..................3. Stun in a line (+ increased atk speed buff depending on amount of units hit)
    ..................4. Ulti: Mass TP anywhere (0/1/2 heroes)

Zephyr(Owlman)....1. Leap, damage in a line + moves enemy slightly
    ..................2. Cyclones on creepkill, heals self when consumed
    ..................3. Increased evasion+chance to return ranged dmg. (active)
    ..................4. Ulti: AoE - Increase team movespeed, reduce enemy move speed

Predator..........1. Venomous leap (DoT+slow+leap)
    ..................2. Centaur's damage self + enemy
    ..................3. Naix' selfheal + dmg
    ..................4. Ulti: Decrease enemy armor (AoE) + increase own attackspeed
    [B]
    Hellbourne (21)[/B]
    Agility (4+3)
    Chronos...........= Faceless Void
    Slither...........= Venomancer
    Blood Hunter......= Bloodseeker
    Soulstealer.......= Shadow Fiend
    Intelligence (6+1)
    Defiler...........= Death Prophet(Krobelus)
    Glacius...........= Crystal Maiden (frostbite spell now stuns/silences)
    Hellbringer......~= Warlock (different DoT + "damage sharing" spell heals self + slow not channeling & AoE)
    Demented Shaman...= Shadow Priest
    Voodoo Jester....~= Witch Doctor (AoE heal replaced with Warlock's single target HoT/DoT)
    Torturer.........~= Tormented Soul(Leshrac) (Lightning replaced by nuke that pulls units together)
    Strength (5+2)
    Accursed..........= Lord of Avernus(Abaddon)
    Devourer..........= Butcher(Pudge)
    Pharaoh...........= Clockwerk Goblin
    Pestilence........= Slithereen Guard(Slardar)
    Warbeast..........= Lycanthrope

New heroes (6)
    Arachna...........1. Slow attack similar to Drow's frost arrows
    ..................2. Increase resistance to magic+remove debuffs (active)
    ..................3. Ranged damage increase aura (28% on lvl 4)
    ..................4. Ulti: Throw spider on enemy that deals moderate physical damage for 3,4,5(?) seconds

Madman............1. Instant invis (almost no fade time), increases movespeed by 10%/20%/30%/40%
    ..................2. Reduce attack damage and armor (similar to vengeful's spell)
    ..................3. Chance to 2x crit
    ..................4. Ulti: Berserk (same as Troll Warlord's ulti)

Dark Lady.........1. Increase damage dealt for X seconds + silences opponent when hit (active selfbuff)
    ..................2. Nuke that slows the enemy (275dmg? on lvl 4)
    ..................3. Leap that does the equivalent of 1 hit on each unit in a line
    ..................4. Ulti: Reduces all enemy heroes sight range + removes shared vision between all enemy heroes

Puppet Master.....1. Hold enemy with strings for up to 5.25(?) secs, reduces mobility
    ..................2. Force target unit to attack closest unit (friend/foe doesn't matter)
    ..................3. Every 5th attack deals upto 200% more dmg. + passive dmg. increase
    ..................4. Ulti: Creates a puppet linked to an enemy and takes up to 200% extra damage from hits.

Electrician.......1. Similar to Rhasta grip
    ..................2. Mana shield, similar to Gorgon/Medusa's mana shield, but better/stronger
    ..................3. Steal mana from nearby enemies (AoE)
    ..................4. Ulti: Slow target enemy + remove buffs (similar to purge) / Increase speed of target friendly + remove debuffs

Kraken............1. Same as tidehunter nuke
    ..................2. Charge (knocks aside enemies + deals damage)
    ..................3. Tides' splash passive
    ..................4. Ulti: Creates 2 whirlpools, one at target location and one on self, after ~4 seconds anyone near either will be TP'd to targeted location

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That list has information that's either out of date or just plain inaccurate, but for the most part it's correct. If you don't know something just ask your teammates, especially if they are PA-ers.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I played a game and got absolutely owned.

I'm wondering why the hell this game needs administrator rights just to run and if that's why I can't use it with Steam.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Account name is Morkath, installing now.

Will play after I eat dinner.

Morkath on