As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Goozex Thread: Trade your old junk for somebody else's games

freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jonesand his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
The Goozex Thread!

Now with movie trading! (coming soon)
Yes, the points will be cross-compatible with games, so you can trade games for movies or movies for games.

Wait, what is Goozex?

It's only the most awesomest alternative to GameStop ever. Ok, so you have a lot of games you want to get rid of, and probably a lot more games you want to play someday. This other guy over in Nevada is already tired of the games you want, and wants the games you have. The solution? GOOZEX! It matches you up for the old junk someone else doesn't want in exchange for the old junk you don't want anymore.

Sounds like a scam to me.

It's not! So, you have old games to get rid of, and you want more stuff. But how do you keep it fair and balanced?

Each game is worth a set amount of points in the Goozex system. An old junker of a game - for example Star Wars Rebel Assault 2, while a game near and dear to my heart, is just not something that everybody wants anymore. It would be listed at the lowest point value, 100 points. The newest, latest, greatest game, for example Prototype, would be the standard 1000 (except for the PC version :x ), which is usually how high games go. I've seen them break the 1000 point barrier for collector's editions, but it's not very common. You can buy 100 points for $5 if you don't want to trade anything, so 1000 points in real cash money would be about $50. It's not the same as the buying price for the game, but to be fair you are selling it used. Increasing the point limit to 1200 would start inflating other games, and it just makes the whole service more expensive, so they stick to 1000 as a cap. A game's point value is adjusted weekly according to supply and demand, with current retail price taken into account.

But how do you determine who gets what, especially for popular stuff?

Predictably, each game has a queue. It works like first come, first serve... but with a bit of a twist. If someone at the front of the line isn't ready for a trade, be it for points or trade credits or open trade slots (I'm getting to those, hold on) it moves down to the next person in line, and so on and so forth, until it reaches someone who has enough trade credits, open slots, and points to successfully request the game. It then sends an email to the seller with the details of the trade - where they live, how many points, expected quality - and then they can accept the trade or get put back into the queue in a couple of days. You can't just reject a trade and move on to the next person - it would enable direct trading which defeats the point of the system. Goozex keeps track of the trade via user feedback - whether the game arrived on time, was in good condition, etc. If there's something wrong with the trade the buyer can leave negative feedback, which shows up on the seller's trading history for other potential buyers. Enough negative feedback and a seller gets crippled - fewer trading slots open at once, you don't receive the points until a successful trade, etc.

What are these trading whozawhatsits?

Ok, there's three things you need to complete a successful trade.

1) Points. You get these by buying them or trading off other games.
2) Trade slots. You get two(?) by default and open more by completing successful trades and getting positive feedback.
3) Trade credits. This is where the business part of Goozex comes in, and the only place you have to spend money.

Ok, so Goozex has bills to pay, a website to run, staff to keep the database organized and resolve disputes. They need cash, and they get it with trade credits. Every time you buy a game, you use one trade credit. You can buy them in packs of five or more (the basic five-pack costs $5), with a price break depending on how many you buy at once. You also get a free one when you refer a friend and they successfully complete their first trade.

I got a broken game! What the fuck?

Don't panic, you'll get your points back. Just leave the appropriate negative feedback. However, to prevent people just claiming willy-nilly that the games they've received are broken, there's an option for a seller to open a dispute. If there's a dispute over a broken game, the buyer has to send it in to be tested and verified at Goozex HQ. They compensate shipping with an appropriate amount of free trade credits.

Ok, I'm ready to start trading. Got any tips for me?

When you send a standard DVD-sized game (pretty much any console game and most modern PC games) you want a size #0 bubble mailer. You can get these about five in a pack for $2.50 at your local WalMart, or possibly grocery stores in your area. Don't buy them from the post office, it's highway robbery. Note that these games WILL fit in here, but when they come from the factory sometimes it's a bit snug. If it doesn't quite fit, stretch it open with your hands a bit and then firmly press the game inside. Don't press too hard or in the wrong direction or you'll rip the package. Then you have a couple of options.

Option 1) Goozex shipping. You need a printer for this. I've never used it personally, but I think they calculate the approximate weight of your package according to a database, charge you for shipping, and give you a label to print out and attach to your package. Then you just leave it in your mailbox and wait for it to arrive.

Option 2) PayPal shipping. This is like Goozex shipping but you need to have your own scale (or use the one at the post office) to know how much the package weighs. If you don't have one and you're in doubt, guess high. If you guess it weighs too little it'll have insufficient postage and will get sent back to your house. This works the same, the prepaid shipping label will send it straight to your buyer from your mailbox.

Option 3) The post office. This is the one I always use, because I don't have a scale and my printer is in a box somewhere. When you go up to the desk, say these words: "First class delivery confirmation." (Then they'll ask "Is there anything liquid, fragile, perishable or potentially hazardous?" Yes, I have been to the post office too many times.) Don't accept anything other than First Class, because it's a ripoff. It's not media mail, it's not Priority, it's first class. Get the delivery confirmation because it's good to have a paper trail with an electronic receipt saying "I sent this out on this day. If it gets lost in the mail it's not my fault." Send this tracking number in the "Confirm Shipping" dialog box in Goozex. Some post offices (not mine, god damned South Carolina) have kiosks where you can buy a shipping label. You want the First Class Delivery Confirmation option.

Option 4) FedEx / UPS. Not really worth it, they charge way more than the post office unless you've got some kind of cheap deal with them through work or whatever.

Other tips via Daedalus:
Daedalus wrote:
Do give feedback promptly after getting your game.
Do e-mail feedback@goozex.com if someone tries to scam you; they're very responsive on this.

Don't use the folded piece of paper they call the Goozex Mailer; your game will break in the mail and you will recieve negative feedback.
Don't ever accept a trade cancellation, under any circumstances, if you already put the game in the mail.
Don't make more than one account with the same address; they'll catch you and ban you.
Don't worry if you don't get positive feedback right away: if the reciever never gives out feedback it will automatically become positive feedback after 21 days.
Don't, and this should be obvious, give positive feedback before you recieve and test the game.

Note that scamming techniques include using numbers as well as letters in the address, and/or a terribly formatted address to attempt to get around the "one house one account" rule, attempting to get you to ship the game somewhere else, or addresses of "PM the seller for address." PO Boxes are probably OK.

There's also a European version of Goozex but I hear bad things, like the moderators neglecting to return points for negative feedback or bad trades for weeks on time. "Circling the drain," is the phrase, I believe.

I think that's about all you need to know to get started trading. If you're interested, there's a referral link in my signature. :winky:

freakish light on

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I haven't used Goozex in awhile, but I wholeheartedly approve of the service. Especially because I got Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Brain Age for free when they offered free points for signing up last year.

I haven't ever actually sent out one of my games because I compulsively hoard them, but...I'd like to question the OP and ask: why couldn't you ship them cheaper via media mail?
    Media Mail
    Send your printed or recorded material using this service.

Media Mail® service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books. The maximum weight for Media Mail is 70 lbs.

Games are a medium, after all.

Taximes on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Can you use delivery confirmation? It might be cheaper but the rip-off chance is higher.

If you can get delivery confirmation or tracking then I will edit it. But I've always done it first class for 40+ trades.

freakish light on
  • unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For those who still have doubts/worries:

I've been using Goozex for a couple of months now. I was never the kind of person who traded in games simply because I didn't feel like getting ripped off at GameStop. 3 bucks for a game, fuck that.

I've been trading a whole bunch of games lately that I just don't play anymore and getting a whole bunch of new ones I've been wanting to play.

Overall, good service (if you trade with honest people, which has been my experience so far). Scammers abound in every type of "honor" system enterprise, but thankfully the system has enough checks in place to make sure that there's no real possibility to scam.

Echoing the OP, make sure to get First-Class Delivery Confirmation. For a #0 bubble mailer and an average weight game, you should be paying around $3 at most for mailing.

Also, if you're going to join, join from a forum user's referral. Unless you're a terrible mean-spirited person who hates to see people be happy. :P

Happy trading.

unpurposed on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think using Paypal shipping should be everyone's first choice if they have a Paypal account. It is usually the cheapest and you get DC to boot. First Class Mail is the lowest I believe that lets you track a package. Also, media mail is usually unsafe not to mention sometimes more expensive than first class.

Shady3011 on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hope people are okay. I accepted three trades. Went to deposit my check of $345 and ended up with a balance of $2.38. Apparently I went negative balance and was charged daily without any notification. Now I have to hope they accept the cancellation or I'm getting negative feedback because I actually can't afford to ship them out. How sad is that?

Docshifty on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well generally in that case they have to accept the cancel, because it's not as if you're actually going to send the game. PMs get stored in the system, too, so if they attempt to leave game not received feedback you can just point to the PM and say "DUH!"

You should be fine.

freakish light on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Should I send seperate pm's? Or will it store the cancellation request where it asked for a reason? That's where I put the "Can't afford postage".

Docshifty on
    edited July 2009
    I would PM each one personally, explaining the situation.

freakish light on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Should I send seperate pm's? Or will it store the cancellation request where it asked for a reason? That's where I put the "Can't afford postage".

PM each one before you cancel, because they might be willing to wait 2 weeks for you to get paid again. It might be quicker than waiting for the game to be re-added and finally to re-pop.

Also, epic Goozex week: Bioshock, Crackdown, Oblivion GOTY, and Assassin's Creed.

Friggin Crackdown doesn't allow HDD installs? Dumb.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I beat Resident Evil 5 a long time ago on my ex's 360, leaving me with no achievements. I kind of half want to play through it again and unlock everything, but at the same time, I don't.

It's still worth 1000 points though.

Are there any good 1000 point games I should trade it for? I want Fallout 3, but at the same time, I'm not sure I want to get it for 360. My other option is waiting like a year until I can afford a new computer and getting it then.

Is it worth playing on the 360?

Alt question: Other good 1000 point games for 360?

Mai-Kero on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Trading DVDs/Blu-ray comes next month yes?

It's not 1000 points but EDF 2017 is good.

SkutSkut on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I gotta ask, has anyone here actually got a downloadable game through Goozex? If so how did that work?

I noticed they had MvC2 on there and I was thinking about getting it but I've never really looked into how downloadable games worked on this.

Schide on
  • Bee ArmorBee Armor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Goozex is awesome. The payoffs are kind of slow in coming (you've got to trade to get points and wait in line for your games), but very much worth it if you're patient and cheap. The more patient and the more cheap you are the better Goozex is for you.

Here's my quik-guide to getting started:

1. Get a ton of size #1 bubble envelopes on EBay. I got 100 for $20, but if you're more patient and more cheap than I am you can find better deals.
    2. Set yourself up with Paypal shipping. Shipping out a normal game costs me about $2.20 in postage. This is by far the cheapest way to mail your games around the country.
    3. Go through all your games and get rid of the ones you don't love. Add them to your offers list. My first purge garnered me thousands of Goozex points, which I immediately turned into hott new gamez.

In addition to freakish light's post (which is 100% accurate and good), be aware that there is a lot of waiting around in lines. So if you're even remotely interested in a game, add it to your Requests list and put it On Hold. On Hold is your friend because it lets you move toward the front of the queue like anyone else requesting the game, except when it's your turn to get your game it doesn't actually ship it. This is good if you're not sure if you really want the game or if you don't have enough trade points to "buy" it.

Finally: The Goozex community is really friendly, every single transaction I've had has been satisfactory, and the quality of the games I've received ranges from good to literally brand new. Goozex is where I get almost all of my non-downloaded games now.

Bee Armor on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    I gotta ask, has anyone here actually got a downloadable game through Goozex? If so how did that work?

I noticed they had MvC2 on there and I was thinking about getting it but I've never really looked into how downloadable games worked on this.

For the Wii, the trader can just gift them to you. Upon a successful match, you'll likely get a PM asking for your Wii code.

For the 360, some arcade titles can be purchased on Amazon as redemption codes. These can then be traded via Goozex. (USA only)

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I got Plants vs. Zombies via Goozex. The guy gifted me the game via Steam and all was good.

I'm not sure how it would work on XBLA since there isn't a gift option there.

RainbowDespair on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »

PM each one before you cancel, because they might be willing to wait 2 weeks for you to get paid again. It might be quicker than waiting for the game to be re-added and finally to re-pop.

Also, epic Goozex week: Bioshock, Crackdown, Oblivion GOTY, and Assassin's Creed.

Friggin Crackdown doesn't allow HDD installs? Dumb.

What?

edit: nm I googled. Weird.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Figgy wrote: »

For the Wii, the trader can just gift them to you. Upon a successful match, you'll likely get a PM asking for your Wii code.

For the 360, some arcade titles can be purchased on Amazon as redemption codes. These can then be traded via Goozex. (USA only)

Yeah I don't think this is going to work. Oh well no big deal. Thanks for the info, guys.

Schide on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BAHHHHHH

So I decided to try the Paypal shipping label option on the main site for once, but after I finished I forgot that I use my home address (NJ) instead of my work address (NYC), and I'm here in the city all day so I can't really mail out from the Zip code postage was determined with until Saturday. :( It might be ghetto, but does anyone know if it's possible to just add a few extra stamps onto the label and USPS will still ship the package? Like, if I put an extra three stamps on, it'll cover the cost difference?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't wait for DVD trading to hit. I have a ton of old stuff to unload.

IdolNinja on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    BAHHHHHH

So I decided to try the Paypal shipping label option on the main site for once, but after I finished I forgot that I use my home address (NJ) instead of my work address (NYC), and I'm here in the city all day so I can't really mail out from the Zip code postage was determined with until Saturday. :( It might be ghetto, but does anyone know if it's possible to just add a few extra stamps onto the label and USPS will still ship the package? Like, if I put an extra three stamps on, it'll cover the cost difference?

What are you sending that the zip code you metered it from is going to make a difference?

adytum on
  • Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I found my long lost Far Cry CD while we were rearranging furniture today. :D

But there was no serial. :(

I'm shipping out 3 games tomorrow to rack up some points for Street Fighter IV, since I missed out on the $20 sale. I'm a bit surprised to see Fallout 3 still at 1000 points.

Dr. Gero on
    edited July 2009
    Fallout 3 on the 360 is still popular even though the GotY edition will make it totally irrelevant later this year.

Shady3011 on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty excited. This game has been in my requests for a year and a half and its finnally being sent to me.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was very happy to be the first one to put Operation Anchorage/The Pitt up in Goozex, and am hoping that instead of starting it off, I can be one of the first to get Point Lookout/Broken Steel when it comes out next month.

Getting the Fallout DLC on a disc is so awesome, I paid $13 for it used, got 400 points for it, and hope to use those towards PL/BS. Getting 4 of the 5 expansions for a grand total of $13 would be great.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    BAHHHHHH

I routinely ship from the wrong zip code (and we're talking NY versus CA), and it's never made a lick of difference.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I was very happy to be the first one to put Operation Anchorage/The Pitt up in Goozex, and am hoping that instead of starting it off, I can be one of the first to get Point Lookout/Broken Steel when it comes out next month.

Getting the Fallout DLC on a disc is so awesome, I paid $13 for it used, got 400 points for it, and hope to use those towards PL/BS. Getting 4 of the 5 expansions for a grand total of $13 would be great.

I just this week received it and sent it out. If it was your copy, you are a god among men.

l337CrappyJack on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Houn's COD4: Modern Warfare Saga:

Requested CoD4 for 360. Rolls through two matches that don't accept the trade. Third guy sends me a scratched disc. Neg Feedback, he doesn't dispute. Rolls through two more matches with no accept. Match #6 accepts. Never confirms shipping, it auto-rolls after 3 days. After 10 days, I try to PM him to see what's up. His account no longer exists. Neg Feedback, he CAN'T dispute, get my points back again. Say "Fuck the 360, 360 COD4 owners are assholes", throw up a request for it on PS3. Rolls through two more no accepts. Match #9 accepts, ships, tracking number.

Let's see if this one works.

On the other hand, I got Tales of Vesperia with a few days of putting the request up. I'm wondering what the standard is for this service, though; I've got 2000 points from sending shit out, and everything on my list has no one sending it out, and I'd guess no one wants to; stuff like MGS2 and 3, Okami, other games I wanted to play but missed. Naturally, no one is sending those out, though.

I'll sit on the points for now and hope, but it really looks like I'm sending out good stuff, but all I can reasonably request is crap no one wants. :P

This has been a Cautionary Tale. A Goozex is not a toy.

Houn on
    edited August 2009
    At this rate, you might as well wait for Modern Warfare 2. :P

Shady3011 on
    edited August 2009
    Oh, there's my problem. I requested MGS2: Substance. There are 24 copies on hold. However, MGS2: SoL has 58 active offers. Same with 3: couple copies of Snake Eater, nothing active for Subsistence.

Now I have to decide if the later versions are worth it. :P

Houn on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heh, I got Modern Warfare in my first try. 8-)

tofu on
    edited August 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Oh, there's my problem. I requested MGS2: Substance. There are 24 copies on hold. However, MGS2: SoL has 58 active offers. Same with 3: couple copies of Snake Eater, nothing active for Subsistence.

Now I have to decide if the later versions are worth it. :P

Subsistence Snake Eater is worth it, even if you're just getting it for the camera fix.

SkutSkut on
    edited August 2009
    CoD4 PS3 got here today. Disc is in great shape, plays fine. Thus, I am now forced to conclude that 360 FPS goozex trades are all being sent out by assholes, and will prefer PS3 in the future for requests.

Houn on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Somebody put up their copy of Radiata Stories or Valkyrie Profile 2! I needs PS2 JRPG sustenance!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    Mirror's Edge is on the way in. I figure I can play through it and list it again pretty quick.

Houn on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Mirror's Edge is on the way in. I figure I can play through it and list it again pretty quick.

Or you can be like me and end up spending more time on it than your average RPG. :)

RainbowDespair on
    edited August 2009
    ME was okay, I'll probably do a hard run and shoot those fucking guards but after that, eh I dunno.

SkutSkut on
    edited August 2009
    Eh, it was cheap and available. None of the good stuff on my request list is ever going to show up, so might as well blow it on shit that I kinda wanted to check out.

At least I can GET it.

Houn on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i've got over 4000 goozex points but i haven't spent them on anything. :[

i wish i could spend them on steam games. :S

well, at least with an expanded goozex exchange, i can put the points towards brand new titles. :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DVD, Bluray, HD-DVD, and UMD trading went live today. Hopefully someone out there wants to take a bunch of crappy movies off my hands so I can get other crappy movies.

IdolNinja on
    edited August 2009
    thanks for the heads-up, thread title updated

freakish light on