As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Selling iPhone on eBay - zero feedback buyer :/

DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got an iPhone 2G, and I put it up on eBay to sell it so I can get an iPhone 3GS, since a jailbroken 2G goes for roughly the same as a new 3GS.

It sold today. Here's the issue: the buyer has zero feedback. I've bought and sold lots on eBay without having any trouble, but I've heard plenty of horror stories and having zero feedback is throwing up some warning flags.

My question to you guys: should I go ahead with the deal, or just try to refund him and restart the auction? If I do ship it off to him, what can I do to minimize my risk? Obviously I would ship with delivery confirmation, as well as transfer all money out of my PayPal account and remove all bank accounts/credit cards associated with it, but is there anything else he or PayPal could conceivably do to me if he tries to screw me over?

Signature not found.
DeathPrawn on

• Options
    jasonlesterjasonlester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't sell it to him unless he can provide cash in person.

Has the account been made in the last 30 days? if so, I'd say definitely trying to screw you.

jasonlester on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    I've got an iPhone 2G, and I put it up on eBay to sell it so I can get an iPhone 3GS, since a jailbroken 2G goes for roughly the same as a new 3GS.

It sold today. Here's the issue: the buyer has zero feedback. I've bought and sold lots on eBay without having any trouble, but I've heard plenty of horror stories and having zero feedback is throwing up some warning flags.

My question to you guys: should I go ahead with the deal, or just try to refund him and restart the auction? If I do ship it off to him, what can I do to minimize my risk? Obviously I would ship with delivery confirmation, as well as transfer all money out of my PayPal account and remove all bank accounts/credit cards associated with it, but is there anything else he or PayPal could conceivably do to me if he tries to screw me over?

You wait till his payment is to you and cleared, then you ship.

You're being a little paranoid about removing all the info and money from your PayPal. What information do you think he's going to obtain that's going to let him hack into your PayPal and drain you of all your money?

Esh on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Money order/cashiers check
    If he refuses then fuck him.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Has the account been made in the last 30 days? if so, I'd say definitely trying to screw you.

That really isn't how Ebay works.

OP, the real risk is with Paypal. There have been stories in which the buyer files a claim stating they received an empty box, or a broken product, and Paypal's conflict resolution amounts to a coin flip or something equally unhelpful.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    His account is relatively old, just no feedback.

The paranoia isn't because of him hacking into the system or anything like that. Based on numerous horror stories I've read about PayPal/eBay customer service, if he complains that I'm somehow screwing him over, it sounds like PayPal will freeze my account so that they can refund him. If I don't have the funds in my account, they'll try to take it from any connected accounts.

And honestly, if I was an eBay buyer and the seller said "no PayPal, send me a cashier's check", I'd think he was sketchy as fuck and refuse to do business with him.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is there an option with Ebay auctions to forbid low feedback buyers?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    His account is relatively old, just no feedback.

The paranoia isn't because of him hacking into the system or anything like that. Based on numerous horror stories I've read about PayPal/eBay customer service, if he complains that I'm somehow screwing him over, it sounds like PayPal will freeze my account so that they can refund him. If I don't have the funds in my account, they'll try to take it from any connected accounts.

And honestly, if I was an eBay buyer and the seller said "no PayPal, send me a cashier's check", I'd think he was sketchy as fuck and refuse to do business with him.

Link to the auction please.

It boils down to this...If it makes you uncomfortable, don't do it. Just email the buyer and explain your trepidation and then relist it with the caveat that you will not sell to low or zero feedback buyers.

Esh on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Esh wrote: »

A good number of scams take place with compromised accounts. So feedback isn't really helpful in this case.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

A good number of scams take place with compromised accounts. So feedback isn't really helpful in this case.

I've sold a ton of stuff on Ebay and never had issues. Then again I don't think I've ever sold to a zero feedback buyer. If feedback isn't helpful in any case according to you, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Esh on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yes, you can, when starting a listing, forbid accounts with low/no feedback. Bit too late now.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just go ahead with it as normal wait for payment. Just because he has zero feedback doesn't automatically make him a scammer. Everyone started at 0 sometime.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sure what the big deal is, if you've got the money from the buyer.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The deal is that paypal resolves almost everything in favor of the buyer.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you're going to be paranoid, don't sell on Ebay.

Esh on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And if paypal takes the money out of his actual bank account he can file a dispute with the bank, which should get him the money back from paypal.

Veevee on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    If you're going to be paranoid, don't sell on Ebay.

Actually, paranoid is the appropriate mindset for selling on eBay. You can successfully trade on eBay, but you have to be careful and know the risks and how to mitigate them.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That really isn't how Ebay works.

OP, the real risk is with Paypal. There have been stories in which the buyer files a claim stating they received an empty box, or a broken product, and Paypal's conflict resolution amounts to a coin flip or something equally unhelpful.

I can no longer use paypal because someone did this with me.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Can you insure your shipment?
    It'll be an extra couple bucks out of your pocket,

but that way if the receiver claims he received an empty box when you as the sender insured your shipment as being worth / containing something worth $xx.xx dollars, you can file either a dispute with the carrier, who is going to be looking at the receiver for defrauding them, or you can use your insurance receipt as evidence that you did in fact ship off your end of the deal.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So if everyone is paranoid about 0 feedback buyers, how does a legit new user to ebay get feedback?
    I just registered an account one day because I saw something I wanted (cheap ass comic book series). So because my account is new I'm instantly a terrible hacker fraud?
    Just ship it after you get paid.

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There's zero feedback buyers buying a cheap ass comic book series, and there's zero feedback buyers buying an expensive and very popular consumer electronics item. One of these is more likely to be a scam. At least, that was my thinking.

That being said, I'm going to ship it but try to cover my ass ten ways til Sunday.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Best case, if using paypal, is to wait for paymen,t then withdraw the money into yoru account right away. Then inform your bank not to allow pre-authorized debits from Paypal (until you say otherwise).

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    There's zero feedback buyers buying a cheap ass comic book series, and there's zero feedback buyers buying an expensive and very popular consumer electronics item. One of these is more likely to be a scam. At least, that was my thinking.

That being said, I'm going to ship it but try to cover my ass ten ways til Sunday.

Your thinking is perfectly legitimate, although with account hacking even high-feedback users can be scammers.

Rfalias, new users normally build-up their feedback with a few low-cost items which sellers are happier to take a risk on. Some sellers will sell to low or no feedback buyers but it's quite common for them to refuse bids from them, although this needs to be stated when the auction is started. Beyond a certain price tag it's just not worth the risk, especially with plenty of buyers with positive feedback likely to buy. This doesn't mean no-feedback users are definitely scammers, it's just that the risk isn't worth taking.

Unfortunately, you neglect to exclude no-feedback users, so you really need to ship unless you want to forfeit the cost and possibly your eBay and/or PayPal account as well. Go with Captain Vash's suggestion, make sure the shipment is insured (you should be doing this anyway for a high-cost item because delivery companies can and will loose and/or destroy your shit). I don't know if there's some way you can verify that the iPhone is functional as well before shipping it, although if the buyer claims it's damaged, malfunctional or 'not as described' then it's your word against his. In the event, you may just have to accept a return, (better a return than compensation IMO, otherwise you get into the whole argument of what one party considers 'fair' compensation) in which case make sure it's your carrier, they check the contents on collection and again it's insured so that you can verify the collection and have protection against it getting 'lost'. Otherwise at best you get an empty box shipped back to you, the buyer claims the phone was inside it when he took it to the post office and he still wants his money back and you have no phone or financial compensation.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Want to back yourself up in case of a paypal scam attempt? Document EVERYTHING to an anal retentive degree. Get a digital camera, take pictures of it in working condition, placed in the box, get delivery confirmation on the package (assuming it only costs you a couple of dollars), etc. If nothing comes of it, fair enough. If something goes wrong and Paypal comes to you with a situation, you can at least present the evidence you have that it was working, well packaged and picked up. It's not perfect, but it'd be a start.

Honestly, this kind of situation/paranoia is why I rarely buy or sell anything over $50 or so on Ebay.

Refusing bids from users with low feedback can help (compromised accounts or not) but as noted before, it's a bit late now.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was in a similar situation once with some high end gadget (can't remember what it was now). Winner bid in the last few seconds and was from a country that I didn't specify that I would sell to. He had 2 or 3 feedbacks, but they looked like purchases for the sake of feedback (less than a dollar with no shipping items). He IMMEDIATELY paid with paypal. I wasn't comfortable with it, so I called paypal and asked them to do a refund (they refunded the fees for me as well, it was like it didn't ever happen). I contacted ebay and let them know what I was doing and that I was going to attempt to sell the item to the 2nd place bidder. Lots of calling and chatting but it all go sorted out.

Difference being that he technically was excluded from winning in my description, which isn't the case with yours. Also, the guy was pretty cool about it. Ebay sent him something asking if he agreed to cancel the transaction and he said he was. I feel bad having to lump all the citizens of a country together as acceptable risk or too risky, but I blame that on Paypal and ebay. Paypal will give the buyer their money back almost every time and ebay won't even let you give the buyer a negative feedback.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you're not comfortable with getting the money through paypal, have him send you a money order or cashier's check with delivery confirmation. Once you have that, then send him the phone, also with delivery confirmation.

Gabriel_Pitt on