As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jell-O pudding mix past the shelf date?

devicesdevices Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have like 3 or 4 of those little jell-o boxes in my pantry I've been wanting to do something with (i.e. make an awesome pie or two)... the thing is they are all pretty well past the use-by date (some from january of last year). I can't imagine these things really spoiling per se, but I'm wondering if any of you gents have any experience with somewhat aged jell-o powder mix.

So what do you guys think? Toss the lot? Or are they pretty safe?

devices on

• ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Probably won't kill you. In the case of dry mixes, the expiration date will usually only have a noticeable effect on taste and consistency, if it's noticeable at all. Assuming they've been properly stored, there's basically no chance it will harm you. The date on the box is the date the company feels the product will no longer be at it's peak. It should store nearly indefinitely.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd be careful though. I've heard that some pancake mixes have molded after the expiration date and people have gotten sick. I'm not sure if anything in the jello pudding mix would mold, but it is a consideration. Although, I believe the mixes in question were opened and used, then allowed to sit soooo.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ah, yes, I was assuming the pudding mixes were sealed. Stored properly and still sealed, they should be fine.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devicesdevices Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok great. Yes they have all been stored in their proper cool, dry environment and they are still sealed.

Gentlemen, pies are go.

Thanks guys :D

devices on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They're these? http://brands.kraftfoods.com/jello/products/pudding/instant-pudding-and-pie-filling/

Nah, they're fine. Those things will last forever if they are sealed and stay dry. The use by date is just because they can sometimes absorb moisture and get cakey. If you open them up and they're not clumpy or full of solid chunks, go for it.

Kakodaimonos on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I made a betty crocker mix towards the end of last year which expired in 1987.

No, it didn't turn out right. But it didn't kill me, either

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Good to know we'll still be able to enjoy jello and jello pudding for years after the world ends.

Veevee on
This discussion has been closed.