As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RepRap

2»

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    The Diamond Age really wasn't all that good
    not saying it was bad, but it wasn't all that good

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    redfenix wrote: »
    haven't you heathens read The Diamond Age?

I started it but then I found better books to read.

I totally thought about it when I read about reprap, though.

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »
    As 3D printing technology progresses and becomes cheaper, I wonder what effect it will have on the economy if decades from now you could essentially pirate almost anything that you could buy in a store.
    how would it be pirating if you're using a freely available design you downloaded and built it yourself using the base materials you purchased?

If you're downloading plans for a product that has patented plans then you'd be pirating it if built it. Without the amount of data available to most pirates, I would doubt that people wouldn't scan anything and everything and make it available to other pirates. Granted it would be difficult if not impossible to build electronics without proprietary chips. Perhaps pirate isn't really the applicable term here, but I can't think of a better one.
    As 3D printing technology progresses and becomes cheaper, I wonder what effect it will have on the economy if decades from now you could essentially pirate almost anything that you could buy in a store.

300 terabytes and a ton of steel away from your new car.

Obviously it would be impractical to attempt to pirate a car, unless you're into building cars.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    actually, i never said the book was good, but being aware of the entirely interesting concepts in it, that's something else

redfenix on
    edited July 2009
    how would it be pirating if you're using a freely available design you downloaded and built it yourself using the base materials you purchased?

If you're downloading plans for a product that has patented plans then you'd be pirating it if built it. Without the amount of data available to most pirates, I would doubt that people wouldn't scan anything and everything and make it available to other pirates. Granted it would be difficult if not impossible to build electronics without proprietary chips. Perhaps pirate isn't really the applicable term here, but I can't think of a better one.

Obviously it would be impractical to attempt to pirate a car, unless you're into building cars.
    so how would you get the plans for a copyrighted device that isn't even built on a rep rap?
    it's not like you just scan it into a rep rap and it would come up with the plans
    you could try reverse engineering it, but that probably wouldn't violate the copyright
    this isn't like copying the already digitally encoded information on a cd or breaking the protection on a wmp

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

2UDYK.jpg

edit: pardon the macro

redfenix on
    edited July 2009

so how would you get the plans for a copyrighted device that isn't even built on a rep rap?
    it's not like you just scan it into a rep rap and it would come up with the plans
    you could try reverse engineering it, but that probably wouldn't violate the copyright
    this isn't like copying the already digitally encoded information on a cd or breaking the protection on a wmp

Did you watch the video in the article that spacehog posted?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009

Well futurist Ray Kurzweil thinks computers will reach and surpass human intelligence around 2029, so you could just make a robot with a Reprap built into it and show it a picture of the car!

Of course, you'd have a problem with replicators taking over the world.

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    so want to build one of these things

I would use it to construct stuff, what stuff I'm not sure but I know it would be cool

Usagi on
    edited July 2009

I absolutely did
    yes, you can download plans others have made
    that doesn't mean someone will be able to take a Dell computer, scan it somehow in a reprap, and then put the plans online to make illegal copies
    so what's your point?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

I would use it to construct stuff, what stuff I'm not sure but I know it would be cool

This is exactly how I feel. I would get one but not be able to think of anything I really need from it.

I would just end up making more Repraps with it.

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
    edited July 2009

I absolutely did
    yes, you can download plans others have made
    that doesn't mean someone will be able to take a Dell computer, scan it somehow in a reprap, and then put the plans online to make illegal copies
    so what's your point?

Which is why I said that people wouldn't be able to make electronics without the chips, but if the only things you can't make are electronics, then how would that effect the economy? I wasn't making a point, I was simply musing.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Wimble wrote: »

This is exactly how I feel. I would get one but not be able to think of anything I really need from it.

does it say anywhere what plastic it uses as the material?

because if it's sandable that opens up a whole other set of possibilities

Usagi on
    edited July 2009
    Wimble wrote: »

does it say anywhere what plastic it uses as the material?

because if it's sandable that opens up a whole other set of possibilities

Here's a list of some of them.

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
    edited July 2009
    intriguing, thanks wimble

Usagi on
    edited July 2009
    neeeeeeeerd
    <3

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited July 2009
    neeeeeeeerd
    <3

I am going to build things!

<3

Usagi on
    edited July 2009
    hmmm

I do like things

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    build some lego

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    zot everybody

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    okay wait I think I get it now

the 3d printer made an electronic circuit board thing, which isn't really easy for a 3d printer to do

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, but also that the materials for a Reprap today only costs about €500, which is interesting to me because I think being able to create blueprints to send around digitally for others to use is dang cool. The aspect of replicating it to friends is also awesome to me. I am big on community type stuff, though.

Just the potential this shows for the future is pretty neat to think about.

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg