As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is this vegetable? [Solved!]

CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Just wondering what this vegetable is. My mum and I think it might be a mustard green. Thanks for any help.

leafygreenthing.jpg

Cyvros on

• Options
    gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Taste it, that may help.

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Looks like a caterpillar has eaten most of it.

Rook on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Um, yeah. Are you sure that's a 'vegetable' and not just a tree leaf that has been purposefully torn? It looks awfully waxy to be a brassica of some sort. At least, any I'd want to eat.

It certainly has a similar shape to rapa or juncea but...it doesn't look quite right.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    dandelion.JPG

Dandelion? It's used in Mesclun salad.

Edit: Hmm... now that the image is a little larger it doesn't look quite the same.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't think it is torn, the edge looks too regular to me (double saw tooth).

EDIT: How about this? It doesn't look exactly the same, but it is mustard green (Which seems to have a rather plastic shape)/.

Tinuz on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It definitely looks like mustard. Perhaps white mustard? It seems to have the whole 'big leaf, 2 smaller leaves' going on. But not quite the same.

Koeh-265.jpg

Sinapis%20alba%20cf.%20alba,%20Rachgoun%20V328_9714.JPG

Thylacine on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tinuz wrote: »
    I don't think it is torn, the edge looks too regular to me (double saw tooth).

EDIT: How about this? It doesn't look exactly the same, but it is mustard green (Which seems to have a rather plastic shape)/.

Could be mustard green (also used in Mesclun salad and may be the leaf I was thinking about). Definitely looks closer than the dandelion.

Depending on the age of the plant, the leaves will look similar at various ages, but not necessarily exactly the same.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does it have a strong odor? I could be way off (since it looks like most of it was eaten by bugs) but it could be a herb used in Korean cooking. Link to said herb/veggie/whatever.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We have some variety of lettuce in our garden that has a leaf shape pretty similar to that, somewhat bitter, but still pretty mild.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nah, definitely not eaten by caterpillars - all the leaves of the plant are like that (and they're regular kind of edges). It doesn't have a peculiar smell, but it smells like something I've eaten before in some fancy salads.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    We managed to get a hold of the nursery we got it from and it turns out it's some kind of milk thistle.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cicerbita alpina, its a sow thistle.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh, awesome. :D Thanks for that, and thanks for all the help, guys'n'gals.

Cyvros on