As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can Masturbation Kill You?

GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
You might have heard people talk about masturbation as being a "normal" and "natural" activity but what exactly are the potential health risks involved with regular and frequent stimulation of the human genitalia?

For instance, it occurs to me that whenever a man performs this act of self-satiation, he is essentially telling his body that he is having sexual intercourse. As this behavior persists unchecked over the course of many years, it is not unusual to expect that the body would adjust to this pace of faux coitus accordingly by producing increasingly copious quantities of sperm and seminal fluid in order for "supply" to meet "demand," but how does this process in turn affect the body?

whoa1.jpg

And what happens if and when the subject abruptly decides to stop or even slow down? Could he actually expect to break this masturbatory cycle without inviting harm to both himself and his sexual organs? What happens if the excess sexual fluid isn't released and is instead allowed to compile and congest within the testicles themselves? Would that not inevitably result in a kind of "breaking of the dams" via explosive ejaculation if not through the scrotal membrane itself?

And then there's this:

http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/news/20090127/masturbation-and-prostate-cancer-risk
For men in their 20s, "frequent masturbation" was two to seven times per week. Compared to same-age men who reported masturbating less than once per month, 20-something frequent masturbators had a 79% higher risk of prostate cancer by age 60.

Glyph on

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought masturbation lowered the risk of prostate cancer.

_J_ on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ejaculation on the order of about 5 times a week has been found to inhibit prostate cancer.

Also this is otherwise a stupid thread.

electricitylikesme on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What men don't masturbate or do the nasty two to seven times a week?

Couscous on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Masturbation is possibly the only thing that feels good that is also good for you.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited July 2009
    Ejaculation on the order of about 5 times a week has been found to inhibit prostate cancer.

Also this is otherwise a stupid thread.

It's %23 more stupid than the toilet paper thread, which says something.

_J_ on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    electricitylikesme on
  • MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you stop masturbating, your balls will get huge and you will be the subject of a black and white documentary.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocturnal emissions are your built in safety valve. I stopped whacking it for a period of several weeks in my mid-twenties for no real reason, woke up in the middle of the night once and had to do laundry. Haven't forgoten to whack it regularly since.

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

Not in women.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    edited July 2009
    MA17 wrote: »
    If you stop masturbating, your balls will get huge and you will be the subject of a black and white documentary.

I saw that documentary.

It was a vivid production, correct?

_J_ on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Holy shit, MA17 just posted. Or is this not a new phenomenon?

Also, I've masturbated so much I've been dead for 1100 years now.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Quit fucking around, asshole.

20050801h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

Read the article. It only lowers your risk if you're over the age of 60. Are you over 60?

Glyph on
This discussion has been closed.