As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fallout Thread: As Paradise falls, so falls Paradise Falls.

freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jonesand his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Skexis wrote: »
Just in case you haven't seen it, you should check out the settings guide over at Tweakguides. There's a lot of stuff you can do to get it running much more smoothly on your PC (in particular, check the section on vsync and the section on "memory, loading, and multi-threading" in advanced tweaking.) It seems like the main offender for sluggish play is the default settings and .ini files. Even up to very high, they aren't made to take advantage of computers with high amounts of RAM or dual/quad cores.

After I screwed with it for a bit, I was able to run everything on very high with my geforce 8800 GTS and only saw occasional slowdowns when there was a lot of specularity and lighting effects on screen at once.

Popping and skipping radio fix that worked for me: "Music on the PipBoy crackles and pops, while the DJs are coming in crystal clear. Is fixed by installed K-Lite codec pack, opening FFDshow and moving the DirectShow slider all the way to the left. *Note a properly functioning radio will have a slight underlying hiss the farther away you are from the station. This is not to be confused with the crackling/popping which is a symptom of broken codecs. (An alternative to the K-Lite/FFDshow solution is to install a single DirectShow filter MadFilter.ax. It can be found at sourceforge.net/projects/maddxshow ) "

I used the latter fix and now I have perfectly smooth radio.

Thank god. Adds a lot to the game.

Source

(Note: I wouldn't recommend installing the K-Lite codec pack. Use the single file he links instead.)

Crashing issues fix maybe?
also, for anyone having crashing issues, an extra bit of advice that is now in the OP; Uninstall and reinstall the .net framework 3.5. Trust me. There's a long and convoluted reason to do this, but all you need to know is that it fixes a lot of crashing problems.

Regarding DLC and saved games! --
OK, to answer some confusion on this topic;

If you find that after some patch, or refusing some patch, or whatever, that your save files are missing, THEY ARE NOT ACTUALLY MISSING. They're just in a folder that's associated with your GFWL account. Moving them one folder up in the hierarchy will make them reappear in the game. The folder you're looking for is in My Documents/My Games/Fallout 3/*your GFWL account name*. Just move them up to the Fallout 3 folder, and you're peachy keen.

For anyone who has upgraded to 1.5 and broke all their mods, download Fallout Mod Manager, Fallout3Edit, and Fallout Mod Sorter, all from Fallout 3 Nexus. Put all of those into your Fallout 3/Data folder. Then, if you have DLC, go into the folder where GFWL stores it. In Vista it's Users/*username*/AppData/Local/Microsoft/XLive/DLC/42530d6/00000002 (note you'll have to enable "see hidden folders and files" in Windows to see these files) and in XP it's Documents and Settings/*username*/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/XLive/DLC/425307d6/00000002. In this bizarrely named folder you'll find a bunch of more bizarrely named folders, each one of these containing a folder called "content". MOVE, NOT COPY everything in all the content folders into your Fallout 3/Data folder, leaving the content folders empty. Then run Fallout3Edit, with the -masterupdate switch. Then run Fallout Mod Manager, and tick all the mods you have that you want to run. Note that you must have all of the DLC ones ticked, as well as the base Fallout3 file. Don't worry about the load order. After you've done this, run Fallout Mod Sorter. FINALLY, run the game. Everything should work fine, except you won't get achievements or gamescore, but who gives a fuck.

Editor's note: Broken Steel adds new videos in the form of .bik files. If you finish the game and there's an error because it can't find the video file, move all the .bik files out of your data folder and into the Fallout 3/Videos folder.

Download the GECK mod tools today!

Here's a set of tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethesdaGameStudios

So Fallout 3 is out now. People have a lot of questions about it. In fact, people keep asking the same questions over and over again. I figure I might as well answer them here, and direct people to this post.

But this thread isn't just about Fallout 3, even though it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. We also cater to the retro crowd of Fallout and Fallout 2. I'll split this into two parts, then.

Fallout Classic!
What is a Fallout, you ask? Only the best turn-based post-apocalyptic RPG released in the 1990s!

Fallout 1 follows the exploits of the Vault Dweller as he journeys through the wastes in search of a water chip for his Vault. Without it, everyone in the Vault will surely die. On the way, he encounters radscorpions, deathclaws, gigantic rats, hideously mutated mutants, ghouls, super mutants and, arguably the most horrible of all, the dreaded Iguana on a Stick. Hint: It's not made out of Iguana.

Fallout 2 begins 80 years after the end of the original Fallout, and a direct descendant of the original Vault Dweller heads out into the wastes to save his village once again.

"But how do I get this wonderful game?" you ask.

There are a couple of ways. First, you can probably find a box verson on Amazon or eBay or something. Second, www.gog.com has 1 & 2 for the low, low price of $6 each. GameTap has Fallout 1 on its free list, and Fallout 2 is on the paid subscription plan. Fallout Tactics is also coming soon. The caveat with GameTap is that you can't install mods, no matter how hard you might want to. If you prefer to play an unmodded experience, then by all means go get it today. *Note: only in North America. Sorry Euroguys.

The Fallout Tutorial!
If you're brand new to Fallout, check here first. This will get you on your feet.
First, you can right-click on your "weapon" button to change modes. The one with a little target on it means you are now in "called shot" mode. You can aim for specific body parts, and if you knock them hard enough it'll cripple the enemy. Aim for the eyes, and their PE goes down as well as their chance of hitting you. The arms, they'll drop their weapons. Legs, they can't move as fast (like, one or two tiles per turn). If you make a critical shot to the groin, they'll fall over and lie prone for a turn, giving you a 95% hit chance on the entire body (except maybe eyes, depending on your skill). If you nail them in the head, human enemies will get knocked unconscious, but creatures (such as radscorpions) just get mad. Burst mode, available on some weapon models, means you fire a bunch of ammo at once. Use it at close range and it will decimate enemies. Longer range means more bullets will miss and it's not as effective. Also, your NPCs can and will do this while you're close and kill you or your friends, so be wary of giving NPCs SMGs. Third mode is reload, pretty self-explanatory.

The buttons that control turn-based combat are on the right side of the interface. "Turn" ends your turn, and "CMBT" ends combat. Pretty simple, right? You can speed this up by using hotkeys, spacebar for Turn and Enter for combat.

There are a couple of different cursor modes you can cycle through by right-clicking. The red hexagon moves your character to that location. In combat, the number inside the red shape is how many AP you spend moving there. The crosshair is to attack enemies, and the number is your hit chance %. The arrow lets you interact with things and people, and if you click on something and hold the button and then move your mouse, you get additional options. The Pip-Boy icon lets you use skills, like Steal or Repair. The bag lets you use an inventory item on or with the selected item. I think there's an eye icon to examine the person or thing. There might be one or two more that are self-explanatory. In Fallout 2, there's a hand icon when you're next to an NPC to push them out of the way. Additionally, if you get stuck by a non-moving member of your party in Fallout 1, try talking to them about changing tactics and then change the follow distance to close and move around a little.

After you get an NPC, you're going to want to manage their inventory, changing weapons and giving them ammo. This is easy in Fallout 2, but not in Fallout 1. To put stuff in, just barter with them, but to take stuff out you have to steal it. Don't worry about your steal skill, they won't catch you no matter how bad you are at it and there's no other way to get equipment out. You can also plant stuff on them from this screen, but it's not as good as barter because I don't think they take weight into consideration when you barter things to them. Some of these problems might be addressed by the Fallout companion mod, but I haven't used it so I can't comment.

There are two little red buttons on your interface. One of them opens the Skilldex, where you can use your various skills like sneak, first aid, doctor, etc., and the other one is less obvious. This switches between your active hands. There are two places in your inventory where you can equip items, your left and your right hand. Put a weapon in one and a tool or something harmless in the other, and when someone asks you to holster your weapon (in town, for example), just hit that little red button and nobody's angry anymore. What's useful about this feature is that you can use it in battle without using AP, so if you want to use a sniper rifle for long range and a shotgun for close range, just put them in different hands and switch back and forth as needed.

Every action in battle per turn takes a certain number of Action Points (referenced above). Moving, firing, accessing your inventory, only so much can be done per turn, and this is determined by your AP. Certain perks and traits can change the amount used, but the number you start with is determined by your AGI. The number of action points remaining in your turn is denoted by the green lights above your weapon button. Ten lights, ten AP left. Note that it is possible to go over 10 AP, the lights just won't decrease until you're under 10.

If you find yourself stuck somewhere and everything is closed, it's dark and you just need time to pass, hit Z. It'll bring up your alarm clock and you can rest for however long you want.

That's all I can think of. If anybody has any more questions I'll answer them and put them in here for future reference. Hope it helps.

Fallout Patches

Even though a lot of us might not like the NMA guys, they know their Fallout mods and their patches fix bugs and things that should have been in the game in the first place. Some people like their games buggy, I like my game fixed. If you prefer the classic experience, you can skip these. I recommend it, personally.
  1. Fallout Children Patch (for GOG users / 1.2 European version)
  2. Fallout 1.2 Patch (optional if you have GOG)
  3. Fallout 1.3.4 Patch
  4. Fallout Resolution Patch
  5. Fallout companion patch
  6. Fallout engine tweaks

Here's all of the mods in a single, easy pack: Fallout Patches Download *Note, this pack doesn't include the children patch. Installing all of these together shouldn't cause issues, but if you have some, I'll investigate a fix and put a warning in here.

Fallout 2 list:
  1. Children Patch (1.2/GOG versions)
  2. Unofficial Patch w/Installer
  3. Resolution Patch
  4. Fallout 2 Restoration Project (with installer)

Fallout 3: The New Fallout. Same great Fallout taste, brand new formula!

Hacking!
When you enter the Hacking minigame, you'll get a screen filled with words and random characters. The goal is to guess the correct word, and it plays out like a game of Mastermind. Pick a word, and the system will tell you how many letters in that word are in the same place as the target word. For instance, if you pick "Meaning" and the word is "Fucking" (for example), you would get 3/7 correct for the "ing" part. There are hidden character sets, delinated by {} <> () on a single line in that order, but there may be characters in between them like {$#$#&%}. Click on one of these when the whole sequence is highlighted and you'll get more password guesses or a dud will be removed from the screen. If you get down to one attempt left and there are no hidden character sequences, and you're not sure you can guess correctly, just cancel out with B and try again. You get a fresh puzzle, but you also get all your guesses back.

Hey, where's the instruction book?
If you're borrowing the game or it's a rental, you might not have the manual for this game. Fear not, Steam will provide!
http://store.steampowered.com/manual/22300/

Holstering and the Pip-Boy Light!
To holster your weapon, hold down reload (X on 360, R on PC, [] on PS3). To turn on the light on your Pip-Boy 3000, hold down the Pip-Boy button (B on 360, Tab on PC, probably O on PS3).

Repairing Items
In order to repair an item and improve its CND, you need two things: a high enough repair skill to repair an item past its current CND, and another item to scavenge for parts. Say you have two 10mm pistols at 25%. Select one, hit Y (or Triangle for PS3, I guess. I don't know the PC button, it's probably in the manual). Then select the one you want to scavenge for parts, they'll get combined together and the CND will go up, more damage, etc.

Note that you don't need an exact item to use for parts. The unique versions of weapons can be upgraded with the regular version - the Lincoln's Repeater can be repaired with the Hunting Rifle, the A3-21 Plasma Rifle can be repaired with the regular plasma rifle, etc. If you have one of those special weapons, try repairing it and you might have the right piece to use for parts. There's always a cap to which you can repair something (determined by your repair skill), so if you have two 50% guns you might not be able to combine them together. The resulting CND would be higher than the CND you can repair to.

Hotkeys and You!
To set a hotkey for an item in your inventory, on PC press a number key and then click on the item. On console, hold down RB or R1 and hit a direction on your d-pad while the item is selected. Whoever told me you don't need to hold down RB, you're a dirty liar.

In-Game frequently asked questions

I want to explore the Wasteland, but I don't want to skip any of the story!
There are a couple of places you should avoid in general exploration if you move away from the story quest. I'll be vague, but just don't go to these places or talk to these people until you get to that point in the main quest.
*GNR Radio
*Dr. Li in Rivet City
*Vault 112
*Jefferson Memorial Rotunda - specifically, don't pick up the data tapes next to the big machine.

Housing
There is a very easy way to get a house early in the game. Just go to Megaton, and either defuse or detonate the bomb. You'll need an Explosives skill of at least 25 to interact with the bomb. If you're not skilled enough, just pop a Mentat. The Sheriff in Megaton will give you a key and a deed to a house there, or Burke will give you an apartment in Tenpenny Tower. If the Sheriff is dead, his son will give you the key and deed. If Burke is dead, there's no way to get a reward for blowing up Megaton. The game tells you this with a pop-up dialog box.
Where the Fuck is the Family?!
Go to the metro station that Evan sends you to. Talk to the ghoul, and he tells you they're somewhere east, or you can take the tunnel to get farther into their compound. If you go overland, you can save a hostage and fight some super mutants near a burned-out church. If you go underground, there are two Mirelurks (crab people) waiting for you. I prefer the Mirelurks, as you can just drop a bottlecap mine in front of each one and they go down in one hit. There are a couple sitting around in the Super-Duper Mart. After you get through the underground tunnels, you'll come up in another part of the subway. This place is FULL of traps, proximity mines and pressure plates and tripwires galore. Take it slow, save before you attempt it, and you'll be OK. Just pay attention.
Where's Dogmeat?
He's in the Scrapyard. If you want to find it yourself, without resoting to the map:
First, talk to one of the caravans that passes through Megaton, and get them to talk about the Canterbury Commons. Head up to the Meresti train station, directly east of the Metro station with the ghouls that want Sugar Bombs, and put your marker on Canterbury Commons. Go there in a straight line, and you'll stumble across the Scrapyard.

Otherwise, you can just look at the big Fallout map at the bottom of the post.

Dogmeat is here, defending himself against three raiders. Kill them and he's yours.
How do I get into Rivet City? There's no bridge!

Okay, this isn't so frequently asked and it's not a spoiler, but I had trouble with it the first time I went. Climb up that building with the stairs on it that appear to lead nowhere, and at the top (next to the poor guy who needs water) there's an intercom. Click it, and Harkness will send the bridge over for you.

How do I get into the broken-off bow in Rivet City?
There's an entrance underwater to the left of that locked door. Go through it, through a couple more underwater rooms, and you should come up into air. Don't forget to hit the switch to unlock the door, and go see Pinkerton. WARNING: He does not want to be found. His place is booby-trapped to hell and back. Move slow and pay attention.
List of Bobbleheads, via Vault wiki
SPECIAL - increases each stat by one
* Strength - Megaton - Lucas Simms' House. On desk in the second most bedroom on the second floor.
* Perception - Republic of Dave - Museum of Dave
* Endurance - Deathclaw Sanctuary - Deathclaw Sanctuary Entrance
* Charisma - Vault 108 - Cloning Lab
* Intelligence - Rivet City - Science Lab. On one of the desks in the center of the lab.
* Agility - Greener Pastures Disposal - Office
* Luck - Arlington Cemetery North - Arlington House

Skills

will increase skill stat by 10 points.

* Barter - Evergreen Mills - Market Bazaar - In a dark cave-nook, in the corner of the room to the right of Smiling Jack (trader). Jump over the work bench, it's on the right-most shelves.
* Big Guns - Fort Constantine - CO Quarters
* Energy Weapons - Raven Rock - Sector 2B
* Explosives - WKML Broadcast Station - Sealed Cistern
* Lockpick - Bethesda Ruins - Bethesda Offices East on a desk with an active lamp.
* Medicine - Vault 101 - Dad's desk. It can be obtained before you take your G.O.A.T., during your escape from the vault or during your brief (optional) return to Vault 101.
* Melee Weapons - Dunwich Building - Virulent Underchamber
* Repair - Arefu - Evan King's House
* Science - Vault 106 - Living Quarters
* Small Guns - National Guard Depot - National Guard Armory: sitting on a shelf in the sealed storage room in the basement.
* Sneak - Yao Guai Tunnels - Yao Guai Den
* Speech - Paradise Falls - Eulogy's pad
* Unarmed - Rockopolis

Unique Weapons
These are better versions of weapons you find in the Wasteland
1. "Stabhappy" Combat Knife: Random encounter with raiders
2. "Firelance" Alien Blaster: Random encounter, UFO crash
3. "Vengeance" Gatling Laser: Deatchclaw Sanctuary
4. "Jack" Ripper: Deathclaw Sanctuary
5. "Reservist's Rifle" Sniper Rifle: Dickerson Tabernacle Chamber
6. "Board of Education" nailboard: Clifftop Shacks
7. Mesmetron: Paradise Falls
8. "The Break" Pool Cue: Paradise Falls
9. "Fisto!" Power Fist: MDPL-13 Power Station
10. "Ol' Painless" Hunting Rifle: Republic of Dave
11. Fawkes' Super Sledge: Vault 87
12. "Wazer Wifle" Laser Rifle: Little Lamplight
13. "Occam's Razor" Combat Knife: Fort Bannister
14. "Victory Rifle" Sniper Rifle: Abandoned Shack (north of Rockbreaker's gas station)
15. "Vampire's Edge" Chinese Sword: Merseti Trainyard
16. "Blawkhawk" Scoped .44 Magnum: Agatha's House
17. "Xaunlong" Assult Rifle: Jury St. Metro Station
18. "Ant's Sting" Knife: Antagonizer's Lair
19. "Highwayman's Friend" Tire Iron: Canterbury Commons
20. "Protectron's Gaze" Laser Pistol: Canterbury Commons
21. "Experimental MIRV" Fat Man: National Guard Depot
22. The Terrible Shotgun: Evergreen Mills
23. "The Kneecapper" Sawed Off Shotgun: Girdershade
24. "Butche's Toothpick" Switchblade: Vault 101
25. "Miss Launcher" Missle Launcher: Fort Independence
26. "The Tenderizer" Sledgehammer: Anchorage Memorial
27. "Smuggler's End" Laser Pistol: The Citadel
28. Colonel Autumn's 10mm Pistol: Jefferson Memorial (What's the point of including this weapon?)
29. A3-21's Plasma Rifle: Rivet City
30. Lincoln's Repeater: Museum of History
31. Sidney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG: National Archives
32. "Eugene" Minigun: Reilly's Rangers Compound
33. "Zhu-Rong v418" Chinese Pistol: LOB Enterprises
34. "Burnmaster" Flamer: Franklin Metro Utility
35. "The Shocker" Power Fist: Flooded Metro

Huge gigantic awesome map with lots and lots of locations - if not all of them - filled in. Spoilers, obviously, for people who like to explore on their own.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images//d/d6/Wastelandmap.png

Here's another map that's a little different, but probably just as good. Shows bobbleheads, too.

http://crasheras.awardspace.com/fo3m.swf

Complete list of schematic locations - it's a little messy, I might post it in here and clean it up a little later.
http://www.madnesswithoutmethod.com/2008/11/fallout-3-weapon-schematics-guide-info-locations-map/

A list of stuff you'll need throughout the course of the game - if you see any of these, pick them up and save them for later. If I missed anything, feel free to PM me.
Shishkebab
Lawnmower blade
Motorcycle gas tank
Motorcycle handbrake
Pilot light

Railway Rifle

Fission Battery
Steam Gauge Assembly
Pressure Cooker
Crutch

Deathclaw Gauntlet
Wonderglue
Medical Brace
Deathclaw Hand
Leather Belt

Dart Gun
Paint Gun
Toy Car
Surgical Tubing
Radscorpion Poison Gland

Rock-It Launcher
Vacuum Cleaner
Leaf Blower
Firehose Nozzle
Conductor

Bottlecap Mine
Sensor Module
Lunchbox
Cherry Bomb
Bottlecapx10

Nuka Grenade
Nuka-Cola Quantum
Turpentine
Tin Can
Abraxo Cleaner

Pre-War Books
Nuka-Cola Quantum
Scrap Metal
Brotherhood of Steel Holotags
Lincoln-related stuff
Chinese Assault Rifle
Sensor Units
Power Armor
Energy Weapons
Sugar Bombs
Teddy bears
Cameras

Zen recommends PC mods!
Couscous wrote: »
Couscous wrote: »
What are some mods that are out?
Balance mods.

Want me to drum up some of the ones I use?

Sure.
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=547 VATS Normal Weapon Degradation
Normally in VATS your weapon degrades four times faster than normal. That's kinda dumb.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=161 VATS MCE
"VATS Manual Chance Evaluation is a slight revision of the standard VATS accuracy formula which will put a much greater emphasis on your weapon skill and the base accuracy of your chosen weapon rather than simply the distance to your target.
As a small bonus it will lower the VATS zoom factor and remove the nonsensical wear VATS used to apply to your weapon."

It basically allows you to use your Sniper Rifle in VATS as a fucking sniper rifle.

IF YOU WANT THE GAME TO BE HARDER
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=79 Made by our own Mumblyfish, STRANGER Mod

I don't think it's compatible with MCE, so don't use them together.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=311 "Smurf" Impact Physics Mod

Allows you to alter people flying around like ragdolls. I preferred the "real" setting.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=138 Falling Damage Mod

Now you don't die by falling a story!

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=432 Hundred Fists
Because completely unarmed taking more AP than having spiked knuckles on is dumb.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43 MTUI
A much better and cleaner and bigger interface.

I also have some texture/armor mod things, but my 64-bit processor seems to dick with them.

DLC!
In short:
Go get The Pitt. You can skip Operation Anchorage if you don't feel like paying $10 for maybe four hours of shooting and not much else.

freakish light on

• freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Courtesy of Axen:
    Axen wrote: »
    The following is a list of mods I find awesome. They may have been linked before, but I do not care.
    EDIT- I will add any cool/awesome/kitten-centric mods to this list. Just ask.

Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM)

What the Modder has to say:
    A collection of utilities related to both creating and using mods. Current features include:
    - One click mod installation and removal
    - Setting active mods and changing load order.
    - Extracting bsa's
    - Repacking bsa's
    - Low level esp editor and script compiler (TESsnip)
    - sdp editor

What I say:

This is an absolute must have program. If you want to run mods this is the way to do it.

Fallout Mod Sorter (FOMS)

FOMS will arrange your Fallout 3 mod load order according to best practices, author and user recommendations, and brute force testing.

Included with FOMS is an XML file of the best load order we know of for every mod we have data on. You can change this template, or make your own, but we recommend you at least start with ours for the smoothest possible experience.

What I say:

Do no confuse this mod with the Fallout Mod Manager. This mod automatically sorts your mods for the best/optimal/compatible list order. You no longer have to manually figure out which mods should load before other mods because this program does it for you. I strongly recommend downloading this mod. It really does help eleminate a few mod related headaches.

Marts Mutant Mod - RC 4

* Every creature and NPC is unique with its own stats, size, confidence, health, damage and even skin (texture)
    * Creatures and NPCs suffer improved wounding effects such as visible bleedng and statistic penalties
    * Creatures and NPCs can loot the corpses of fallen enemies, afterwhich you can find this loot if you kill them
    * Creatures and NPCs have improved behavioural AI based on class -- in any given group some may be aggressive towards you, some may be ambivalent, and others may avoid you outright.
    * Configurable increased spawns allow you tailor how many creatures and NPCs spawn in the game at any given spawn point
    * Improved faction system to better reflect inter-faction relations and ensure the player isn't the center of the universe
    * New creatures and NPCs to add variety to the wasteland -- all hand-crafted with their own stats, abilities, loot, weapons, textures and in some cases scripted AI behavior.

What I say:

Marts Mutant Mod is honestly one of the first things you should download when you first install Fallout 3. It adds a ton of awesome mutants/npcs. Plus it removes the scaled monsters. So be careful when walking out into the wastes after first leaving the Vault, you may run into giant scorpions, mutant bears, or worse.

DarNified UI F3

If you're unfamiliar with DUI for Oblivion, the goal is to make the UI look more at home on the PC. This means smaller fonts, more visible items in the lists, and scaling of some elements. Though improved, the F3 ui is a little too big for my taste, hence DUI F3.

What I say:

This gives you a UI that is not offensive to the eyeballs. If you played Oblivion then you more than likely had this mod installed too.

VATS MCE

VATS Manual Chance Evaluation is a slight revision of the standard VATS accuracy formula which will put a much greater emphasis on your weapon skill and the base accuracy of your chosen weapon rather than simply the distance to your target.

As a small bonus it will lower the VATS zoom factor and remove the nonsensical wear VATS used to apply to your weapon.

What I say:

This one is an oldie, but goodie. It changes the formula that determines accuracy in VATS. Original it was distance from the target that determined your accuracy, but with this mod its actually your weapon skill. Which honestly makes way to much fucking sense. Basically you can now be that super badass sniper you always wanted to be.

Amplified Crippled Effects

The the Modder has to say:
    New from Vault-Tec, Amplified Crippled Effects, or ACE, works towards making crippling limbs a very viable thing to do in combat. Cripple an enemies legs, and they slow to a crawl. Cripple the arms, and their aim goes way off. Cripple the head to reduce their aim by half blinding them. Cripple the torso, and their strength and endurance drop sharply, the enemy stumbles when you hit their already broken ribs and pound their guts.

Of course, this works the opposite way around. If you get a leg crippled, you will soon find yourself limping through the wasteland and with your head crippled you will find it hard to see.

What I say:

Perhaps this one is not for everyone, but I enjoy my combat to be crazy. This certainly makes things crazy. Nothing better then surviving a brutal super mutant assault with a broken arm, broken leg, and a few smashed ribs. Then limping back to the nearest place these people ironically call "civilization".

Fallout Script Extender

The Fallout Script Extender, or FOSE for short, is a modder's resource that expands the scripting capabilities of Fallout 3. It does so without modifying the Fallout3.exe or the G.E.C.K. files on disk, so there are no permanent side effects.

FOSE is incompatible with Windows Live, so when running via fose_loader.exe, Live will be disabled. As Live operates as a cheat-detection tool similar to Punkbuster or VAC, FOSE's in-memory modifications are inherently incomptible. Don't worry about being banned or anything like that, everything still works when running Fallout normally. To download DLC, launch fallout3.exe directly instead of via the loader. After downloading the DLC, you will then need to move the DLC files in to the Fallout data folders to use them like any other mod.

What I say:

FOSE is not really a mod itself, but it is a tool used by other badass mods. What kind of badass mods you ask. . . .

Sprint Mod

Sprinting takes action points, and if you run out, you'll have to wait for them to recharge. The more endurance you have, the less AP it takes to sprint, and the more agility you have, the faster you'll go. The amount of weight you're carrying also affects your speed.

There are certain situations in which you will be unable to sprint, such as when your legs are broken, or when you're overencumbered.

Various screen effects are used to enhance the sense of speed.

For a readout of your speed and distance potential and access to various settings, use the Pedometer located in the apparel section of your inventory.

Perks:

Tackle
    Sprint into a hostile enemy (they have to be hostile) to attempt to tackle them. Your strength and unarmed skill will be compared to their strength and endurance, and if you win, they'll be knocked over. If you lose by too much you might be knocked down yourself, so watch out! Attempting a tackle takes 1/4 of your AP, so don't waste it all on the way there.

Charge!
    With this perk, you can keep your weapon out while sprinting. Don't expect to be very accurate while you're doing this, though.

What I say:

Its a mod that allows you to sprint. Sprinting should have been something already in the main game. I would almost consider this a "bug-fix". Plus it adds to neat perks. Speaking of perks. . . .

Ultimate Perk Pack

All files here will work perfectly by themselves, however for the full experience, all UPP mods should be used. Combined, they add over 70 high quality perks to the world of Fallout 3, along with new unique icons for some of these new perks (only Pack 2 currently).

What I say:

Like the moder says, it adds over 70 perks to the game, there is also an option to change the default perks to be more "fallout-y" I guess. Many of the perks in the UPP are great and fit right at home in fallout, more so than the original perks IMO.

Fallout 3 Balance Overhaul

Included in this rar are several "modular" (you pick and choose) esps. Overall, the mods rebalance the game, slow leveling, moderately increase difficulty, and enrich the game with greater depth and tactics, as well as provide a more meaningful character-building process. You don't need a new game, and you can choose new options every time you play!

What I say:

It makes "survival" your main objective in Fallout 3. You will need to eat, drink, and sleep. Radiation is far, far more dangerous. Everything deals a lot more damage. (Pro Tip: Beware of snipers). I strongly recommend following the link and reading up on it. It really contains way to much stuff for me to get in to.

Phalanx- Follower's Mod

(Axen- y'know what he says a lot of stuff, but nothing useful)

What I say:

This mod makes you able to recruit as many followers as you want. It also removes the Karma requirement for RL3, Butch, and Jericho. Very cool mod and perhaps needed if you take a lot of the other mods that makes the wastes far more deadly.

There is another version of this mod that adds a number of things like ownable camp sites and three new companions one of which is a robotic talking dog, but I didn't think you guys would be interested in that. :P

Multiple Ways to Attain Power Armor Training

Are you ever annoyed that the ONLY way you can learn to use Power Armor is by progressing through the the Main Quest? Have you ever wished that there would be some way to avoid the Brotherhood, yet still gain the ability to use Power armor? Now you can!

This mod adds two other ways to attain Power Armor training. Now there are optional add-ons that add even more ways!

1. If you bring Protector Casdin at Fort Independence enough technology to gain the Outcast's trust, he'll give you a set of Outcast Power armor and teach you how to use it.

2. Go the Fort Constantine, and find the terminal next to the T-51B Power Armor. From the terminal you can download a Power Armor manual to your Pip-Boy

What I say:

Well, what is there to say? This mod is great for replays in that you don't have to touch the main quest at all to get power armor.

Wearable Backpack - BlackWolf Backpack

This mod adds a backpack with new model that you can wear. It increases your carry weight by 35lbs or 50lbs.

What I say:

I really like this mod not just for the extra carry weight, but because the backpacks look awesome!

Explosive Entry

Explosive Entry allows you to bust inside almost any container or door using explosives. This is considered to NOT be a cheat mod and it is balanced to the best of my abilities using your explosives skill, luck stat, and ranks of the "Demolition Expert" perk. Based on your explosive skill you will be able to use a wider variety of ammunition and weapons to break a lock. A player with poor explosive skills may need a mininuke to open a tough lock that a master of explosives could do with a frag grenade or two. Depending on the game settings there is also a chance of the timer malfunctioning or the explosive destroying items inside a container.

What I say:

You can use explosive to upon up shit that is locked. . . what more need I say?!

UU Unique Uniques

After finding a named weapon in the game, I was unimpressed with their appearance. I found myself selling them as I found them, not really having a sense that these weapons were one of a kind. I had been wanting to edit some textures for a while, and thought this would be a worthwhile pursuit. I was unaware that the games file structure (edited with FOMM) was as complicated as it is, and saw a challenge I could really get into. Editing these "unique items" requires you to edit the old mesh, texture, and item profile in the fallout3.esm (later made into an .esp).

What I say:

It gives all the Unique weapons out there its own texture. It really helps to make these weapons feel, well, unique. The mod does not fuck with the weapons stats or anything like that. It just makes them stand out is all.

Classic Fallout Weapons BETA

All weapons can be found in shops, in the hands of raiders, Enclave troops, Brotherhood members, supermutants, NPCs etc.

What I say:

Okay the Modder didn't say much. I will let this speak for both of us:
    2307-1-1233613499.jpg
    Well that Cattle Prod can go die in a fire though. Its basically a one hit kill. Plus some weapons do not have a real reload animation. Still I love this mod! It adds such a large diversity to the weapons, even if some are a bit cheap.

TheOutbreaks Wasteland Moods Series

Welcome to TheOutbreak's Wasteland Moods Series!

This mod features several different themes which you can use to customize the look of the Fallout 3 outdoor
    environments

What I say:

Okay so the Modder's description aint much. The mod comes with a number of "moods". Here are some pictures:

6550-1-1244968512.jpg

6550-1-1244968471.jpg

6550-1-1244968435.jpg

6550-1-1244200494.jpg

6550-1-1244200564.jpg

6550-1-1244200602.jpg

Plus the mod comes with a "cycler" option that randomly changes between the "moods".

Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow

This mod adds rain and snow to Fallout.

What I say:

This mod adds rain and snow to Fallout.

Oh! And an option for Radioactive Rain!

GNR -- More Where That Came From

If you are tired of hearing "Let's Go Sunning," this is the mod for you. It adds between 20 and 100 new songs to Three Dog's Playlist using a special version of PimpBot's excellent GNR Extender Mod. Also, thanks to PimpBot's meddling, on average you will hear 6 songs before Three Dog cuts in again. It also retains the original songs instead of replacing them.

What I say:

This is probably the second must have mod. Like the moder says it adds an ass load of new theme/time appropriate music to the GNR station. The mod is broken up into 5 track packs of 20 songs.

Existence 2.0

This mod adds a new radio station to your Pip-Boy 3000.

"Existence 2.0" is hosted by JunK'et, a (yet) unknown model of
    robot wrought with perpetual existential angst and general
    malaise toward the world's current Existence.

Jaded with this bleak world, It broadcasts "experimental ambient
    terror" music and sound design across the wasteland to echo
    "humanity's new existence 2.0", and shares It's views on survival and
    what is 'being'; backstory revealing it's past and intentions are
    revealed throughout the broadcasts.

What I say:

This is another awesome radio mod. Only people who hate kittens do not have this mod. Do you hate kittens?

Tenpenny Tower Radio

Do you ever know Tenpenny Tower Radio? Well, actually Monsieur Tenpenny has his own radio station in his mansion.
    I found there was an unused radio station in the original game--Tenpenny Tower Radio, when I was using G.E.C.K.. So I extract the original voices from the original game, edited those by myself, and recoverd the lost radio station. The speech is from Alister Tenpenny himself --believe me, his speech is no worse than President Eden's, althougth I can not accept all of his points -- and the music is from Vault 101 PA system, since you can not pick up the broadcast after you leave Vault 101, I think this will make it up.

What I say:

Okay this one may not be a "must have", but its still kinda cool to listen to Tenpenny spout his elitist bullshit.

Named - Wasteland

Names almost all of the wastelands generically named charecters. The all-in-one version of my previous "Named:x" seris mods.

Essentially, no more "Megaton Settler" or "Underworld resident."

What I say:

So this one is really just a simple mod. Something about all the NPCs actually having names makes things a bit more immersive to me.

Praise Atom

I found it odd that people who lived around and worshipped the bomb for 200 years never put the bomb in a better position or constructed a shrine around it, this changes that a little.
    This shouldn't affect the Power of Atom quest in any way, all it does is move the bomb and Confessor Cromwell and add some static parts.

What I say:

The mod does this
    1347-1-1229126745.jpg
    Its really just a small aesthetic choice.

Global Travel System (GTS)

The Global Travel System, or GTS, first and foremost is a MODDER'S RESOURCE.

When a modder creates a worldspace, GTS provides an entire globe of maps into which the modder can place the worldspace. These maps are community owned, versus being under Bethesda control.

GTS goes further by seeking to increase the sense of immersion in the Fallout world by establishing a series of vehicles that are used for fast travel between discovered locations. GTS gives the PC a choice between a Motorcycle or a Highwayman for fast travel over land, and a Rusty Cutter or Speedboat for travel over water.

GTS also provides the PC with a well-appointed home within the Vehicle Fleet Storage facility.

Finally, GTS provides the PC with a Computer Terminal for controlling GTS Settings, Companion Settings, Player Appearance Settings, and customizing the included Vehicle Fleet with free themes.

As with many mods, making it do what we want requires a good deal of “tricks” which are unavoidable. The use of these “tricks” results in a few GTS UI “features” that may take a bit of getting used to. We are always working to make the interface more intuitive, and 3.0 should help with that a lot. But it will always be built around certain limitations within the game engine. That's why reading this information is so important.

What I say:

Well, not much never used it. Sounds cool. Ask Deaderinred, he seems to be in the know.

Warhammer 40k Space Marine armor

Become the Space Marine you've always wanted to be! With a complete redesign of the vanilla Power Armor, you can look exactly like the Emperor's finest.

What I say:

Do I need to say anything? Just look at this!
    4651-1-1239565263.jpg

4651-1-1238133150.jpg

4651-1-1240796838.jpg

4651-3-1240796838.jpg

J3Xified Driveable Motorcycle

Adds motorcycles to the Wasteland for you to repair, cruise around on and upgrade and pimp with weapons, awesome textures and crazy inventions. - "Nothing is better than first cripple a raider with your dual miniguns then crush his skull under your wheel!"

What I say:

It sure looks cool and the mod adds several different types of motorcycles. Weapons seem a bit much, but eh.

Enclave Commander

Command everything from a small strike squad to a whole army using the most advanced squad command system for Fallout III.
    Call in Airstrikes, carpet bombing runs, missile strikes, orbital strikes, reinforcements & transports wherever you want it, just point with your mouse!
    Five different factions to call in soldiers from; Enclave, Brotherhood of Steel, US army & Brotherhood Outcast.
    6 different kinds of humanoid soldiers and 6 different kinds of robots to call it, including everything from stealth units and scientists to Chimera tanks.

Take prisoners and strip them of their belongings, enslave them or execute them.
    Fast travel everywhere in the game using the Vertibird transport. Either use the pipboy to set the target position or fast travel to 8 player defined positions.
    Get XP from your soldiers kills.
    And much more...

What I say:

Indeed, this mod is totally badass! Though perhaps best used by people who have done most all there is to do in Fallout 3. This mod combined with MMM Increased Increased Spawns is so much fun, it will probably melt your CPU.

Buildable Bots

This mod adds a new room to the Robot Repair Centre near canterberry commons, containing the equipment required to build your own robots.

Building robots requires parts that can be scavenged off robots you find and kill in the wasteland. Certain junk objects can be modified via your robot workbench into useable robotic components (such as conductors).

Once built, each robot has the basic functionality of a companion NPC - they can be told to follow, wait, or patrol the area.

What I say:

Now you can finally live out your Mechanist fantasies! Being able to scavenge robo pieces and then build my own metal death machine is pretty awesome. IIRC the robots are non-essential, so they should stay down when killed.

Weapon Mod Kits

Weapon Modification Kits - or 'Weapon Mod Kits' - allow you to use standard Workbenches to modify your favourite firearms with a range of handy attachments:

- Auto-Fire Mechanism (AF): Adds full-auto firing capability to most guns that do not have it otherwise (also increases weapon spread by around 50% and reduces weapon to 65% of its default accuracy in VATS).
    - Extended Magazine/Clip (EC): Doubles magazine/clip capacity.
    - Laser Sight (LS): Increases accuracy (reduces weapon spread by around 33% and increases weapon accuracy in VATS by 25%).
    - Scope (SC): Can use scope to sight targets, increases range by 30%.
    - Silencer (SI): Makes weapon silent, reduces damage and projectile speed (by around 10% each).

What I say:

I love mods like this because they provide a use for all the scrap and junk you find. Plus being able to custom tool your weapon is pretty cool too.

Alternate Start - Roleplayers

Alternate Start - Roleplayers is a mod that significantly speeds up the character creation process (skips the birth and entire vault tutorial area) and aims to change up the first few levels of the game a bit by adding new history choices.

These choices can, and will impact the entire game as you play through. They will permanently modify your SPECIAL, Perks, and/or Skills. Each History also possesses a unique starting location, along with unique gear.

There is a history called No Significant Background for those that don't wish to have their stats modified. You start off with the same equipment as the Vault Dweller but no bonuses or penalties are applied to SPECIAL, Skills, Perks, or anything else.

What I say:

This mod is great for those of us who have played the game multiple times and are looking for a new challenge. Trying creating a "Raider" character and see how long you can last out in the waste. :)

GreenWorld

This MOD changes the tree and the grass into green.
    It became tired of the world that went to ruin.
    Want to see green occasionally.

What I say:

Well, engrish aside, this mod is somewhat neat. Take a look;
    2456-4-1230749609.jpg

Killable Children

This mod enables you to kill any or all of the children in Fallout 3. Keep in mind that due to the fact that you aren't normally supposed to be able to kill children there are some graphical glitches when you kill them. See the screenshots included with the file for more information. As a by-product of what this mod does it also allows you to play a child.

What I say:

You know what this is, you have your reasons.

NPC Height Randomizer

This mod runs once upon first loading a save or starting a new game. It assigns each permanent-reference NPC a random height within a specific (and somewhat arbitrary) range of allowable heights. It does this via scripting without ever touching the base NPC records, so there are no conflict/compatibility issues to worry about. No children or ghouls are altered. Also, most (but not all) generic NPCs, like raiders, Enclave soldiers, etc, could not be altered with this method, so they are left alone.

What I say:

It adds diversity to the NPCs. Its pretty cool.

Enclave Commander: Warhammer 40k Edition

Just like the original enclave commander but now you command Space Marines, Chaos Marines and the Imperial guard. all of them have unique voice quotes, also heroes will help you in combat. You can command allies or spawn enemies!

What I say:

OH FUCK YEAH!!!!
    5579-3-1242614752.JPG

freakish light on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Axen's Awesome Mod List: Part Deux
    "Brought to you by The Gary Coalition for a Better Gary."

FallOut 3 Overhaul Kit (FOOK)

• 120+ NEW(!) Weapons (and many additional ammo types)
    • 80+ new Apparell items
    • 40+ Weapon Retextures
    • 20+ Apparel Retextures
    • 25+ Clutter Retextures
    • ALL new items are fully integrated into the game
    • Increased weapon and armor/outfit diversity throughout the game
    • All factions use now a lot more weapons as well as outfits
    • All vendors offer the new items though most vendors sell only certain items, some are specialiased on assault rifles while others offer rare pistols or other gear
    • Repair lists were totaly reworked, a lot more cross repair options and the ability to repair your gear with various clutter
    • Full rebalance of ALL (new and vanilla) weapons, guns are going to hurt a lot more now, the wasteland is going to be a tougher place
    • Full armor rebalance giving many abilities to all apparell and many other changes to their stats giving all items a real use
    • Completly reworked the leveled lists for NPC factions resulting in a much better mix of weapon use
    • Weapon/armor condition of NPC's increases with the PC lvl making the game more challenging at higher lvl's
    • Weapon and armor condition is now faction specific ie BoS NPC's use feature gear with a better condition than for example mutants
    • Strength of NPC's has been increased in order to get their level and skills closer to the PC
    • Items, especially weapons and ammo, are now more expensive, this goes in line with increased ammo spawns (due to stronger enemies your ammo use is gonna be higher than in vanilla)
    • Big weapon sound overhaul of new and vanilla weapons
    • Full support for the Enclave Commander Mod by J3X (Temporarily removed)

What I say:

First things first, that link goes to Nexus, but the FOOK team does not have their mod up on Nexus, just read the description section and they will have a link to where you can download FOOK at. I also recommend the retexture addon.

FOOK is really, really awesome. It adds an almost mind blowing the number of things to the game. I cannot recommend this any harder!

Fallout Interoperability Program (FOIP)

The Fallout Interoperability Program (FOIP) is a collective effort by a number of modders to improve compatibility between many of Fallout's major mods. This includes developing a more effective and consistent means of providing Compatibility Patches (CP's) to mod users, tracking updates, and sharing information regarding compatibility issues.

What I say:

Okay this is really handy. This is a series of small mods that incites cooperation between certain mods that you might have. If you have FOOK, Weapon Mod Kits, Fallout Wanderers edition or any combination of, then check this out. I insist actually.

Fallout Wanderers Edition (FWE)

Fallout 3 Wanderers Edition (FWE) is a major overhaul mod for Fallout 3 that changes underlying game mechanics and adds new features to the game. The aim of the mod is to improving the challenge, sense of immersion, depth of gameplay, and range of options compared the vanilla game. Generally, you�ll find the wasteland to be a more dynamic but far less forgiving place.

What I say:

FWE is another overhaul mod. Though I recommend this one for its easy of use. Right in game you can determine how hardcore you want your game to be. Do you want to be able to fully heal when you sleep like vanilla or do you want to have to use the triage to heal crippled limbs? You can pick what you want and what level of hardcoritoid. :)

Sharing and Caring Companions

The SCC master file allows you to easily recruit any NPC you can open dialogue with. Recruited companions will follow, sneak and fight alongside you. Sharing and Caring Companions also allows you to trade with your friends and give them simple orders like 'wait' and 'dismiss'.

What I say:

Well, this mod does exactly what the Modder says it does. You can recruit yourself an entire army if you want :P.

Flesh-burning Plasma Weapons

Visually changes the critical kill effect for all plasma weapons. It now burns the flesh from the bones. Works for all humanoids and Feral Ghouls.

What I say:

Pictures speak louder than words.
    Combat Dusters

Adds 12 new beaten up dusters to the Capitol Wasteland (6 male, 6 female). They use Col. Autumn's Uniform mesh as a base but are completely new items and do not replace anything.

They have the same "enchantments" as Lucas Simms' duster.

This outfit is for both male and female characters.

What I say:

This mod is actually brought to us by our very own Joolander. While there are many Col. Autumn duster mods, this one comes with that PA freshness you've come to trust. :)

Project Beauty

This mod doesn't use any makeup mods. It doesn't use any hair mods. It doesn't use any "anime mods"

All of this is done by GECK. No eye mods. No hair mods. No race mods. You'll notice that the largest file here is the PDF that explains how to install the files itself.

My attempts were to make the characters in the game to have a more natural and realistic appearance.

What I say:

Indeed. This mod is not a retexture mod at all. It just tries to make the people of the wastes not look freakish. (Unless of course they are meant to be freakish :D). The number of NPCs this Modder has "fixed up" is crazy. NOTE- If you are using the Wasteland Names mod be sure to load it last otherwise this mod will fuck it up.
    6341-1-1242546724.JPG

Tailor Maid

This is a mod that enables you to equip extra armor and accessories to enhance the appearance of any other armor or outfit.

It began as a humble shoulderpad mod, hence the original title and the abbreviation throughout (spad).
    I have since then incorporated many more accessories, please read the equipment listings.
    Due to the limited attachment points available, clipping issues and simple aesthetics,
    only a certain number of accessories may be worn at once, please mix and match the pieces until you find a cool combination.

What I say:

This mod is totally awesome for those of us who like to customize the look of our characters (or companions for that matter). This mod breaks down many clothing / armor items into various components (shoulder pads, gloves, boots, belts, etc.) and allows you to equip them individually. Very, very cool.

Merc Caps

Adds some news caps buyable at Moira Shop.
    Made using the Roving Trader Hat.
    Same stats as the Ranger Helm for combat purpose.

What I say:

Okay the Modder didn't say much, anyway, you know that really cool baseball cap that comes with the goggles that is a part of an outfit? Ever wanted that cap by itself? Well now you can and in several colors too!

Holsters

Adds 6 holsters to the mailbox in springvale, the small one between the car and house which always has a copy of pugilism illustrated.

What I say:

It adds mother fucking holsters! What more ya want?! Okay, it also adds holsters to many NPCs as well. The holsters themselves seem to have been designed for the default weapons and may not work so well with all the user made weapons that I am sure you are all running around with. It has been my experience that the holsters work well enough with most of the use made weapons.

Upgraded Caravan Merchants (UMC)

Merchant changes:
    Each time you invest in a merchant, his gear will improve, giving him an actual fighting chance out there in the wasteland. Their original outfits have also been changed, and I tried to keep their choice of weapons and armor realistic. In other words, I didn't make them all run around in power armor and missile launchers.
    After the second investment (500 caps) in a merchant, an extra brahmin gets added (to carry all of the new stock thanks to your investments).

Guard changes:
    All original guards have been removed. By default, each merchant has now two guards. A 200 cap investment will add an extra guard and upgrade the first guards' equipment (when possible). A 500 cap investment will again add another guard (a total of four guards) and upgrade the other guards' equipment (again, when possible).

What I say:

Another neat mod. This one makes it so, like the Modder says, each time you invest in a merchant not only does their stock increase, but their caravan becomes better. More Brahmin, more guards, better equipped. It also comes with an "immortal" version. If you have MMM and/or other mods that make the wastes truly unforgiving then I would go with the "immortal" version. . . though that does seem to defeat the purpose of the mod :P.

Caravan Tracking

Displays on your pip-boy where the four travelling caravans are.

What I say:

What else can I say? Ever wish you could tell where a certain caravan was? Well now you can! The option is in your QUEST tab, it should say -caravan tracking-.

Real Time Settler (RTS)

Real Time Settler is a RTS featured mod. Find a strategic location, start your village, establish trade routes and alliences, and fight for your freedom!

What I say:

Okay, this mod is truly spectacular! You get to start you own village, recruit villagers, assign tasks and jobs, build buildings, furniture, items. The works people, the works! Check out the pics and video sections. Amazing stuff.

I also recommend you download the RTS Increased Range Limit to go along with RTS. This mod simply increases the buildable range of your village to something less cramped.

Combat Armor Texture Set

This mod is a simple compilation of different cool Combat Armor retextures I've found. The only reskin I did myself was the Talon Company Armor, the other armors were reskinned by others in the Fallout community, but I forgot who they were otherwise I would've given them credit. This mod does not change anything about Combat Armors except for the look.

What I say:

Normally I don't care to post retexture mods, mainly because most kinda suck, but also because everyone has their own idea on what is cool. Well this one is my idea of what is cool :P. Check out the line up!
    6622-4-1243185898.JPG

As always feel free to add this to the already large list in the OP.

Someone needs to replace MMM with IIS with a Gary Horde mod.

Buttcleft on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BLUUUUUUUUUUE! (dot)

And hot diggity do I need to do another mod prowl: I'm hearin' realtime settlers is at a pretty decent state, and carving my own little kingdom out of the wasteland sounds mighty fine for a new playthrough with BS and PL, not to mention all the updates that've probably come out for other ones.

Pre-post edit: I see what you did there...

Sorenson on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moved From Old Thread:
    Anyone got a fix for the music stuttering on the PC?

Right at the top of the OP, though it didn't work for me I think because I have Windows 7.

Didn't work for me either. I'm running Vista 64-bit.

Hitting esc to the menu will sometimes fix the stuttering for awhile. Whenever the stuttering I just hit the menu until it fixes.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JAMBAAGLR

Robman on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm playing this through for the first time and man am I ever sick of subway tunnels.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • NimoyNimoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For some one just recently getting into this game do you suggest playing through the game at least once before getting the DLC or purchasing the DLC off the bat?

Nimoy on
    edited July 2009
    I'm playing this through for the first time and man am I ever sick of subway tunnels.

Play with feral ghoul rampage + increased spawns. Subways take on whole new element.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited July 2009
    Nimoy wrote: »
    For some one just recently getting into this game do you suggest playing through the game at least once before getting the DLC or purchasing the DLC off the bat?

If money is no problem, just get everything. That way you can run into quest organically in the wasteland.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nimoy wrote: »

Get Broken Steel ASAP, at the very least. Most people will also recommend The Pitt and Point Lookout. If you can get just one, get Broken Steel since it raises the level cap and makes the ending of the main quest not suck.

Also, re: thread title:
    Just played through Vault 108 last night. It was surprisingly freaky.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm afraid to ask, but who is Gary? Is he in Point Lookout?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just saw the trailer for Mothership Zeta. I'm probably going to get it at launch even though I haven't even bothered starting The Pitt, Broken Steel, and Point Lookout. :(

Ranced on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    just so i dont spoil anything, i'll just say that if you dont know who gary is you just need to go through all the vaults

and i think it was vault 106 that freaked me right the fuck out the most

Joolander on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    haha! gary!

Nuzak on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    haha! gary!

Gaaaaaaary

Buttcleft on
    edited July 2009
    Gary_the_snail.gif
    garyoldman.jpg

Joolander on
    edited July 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    Gary_the_snail.gif
    garyoldman.jpg
    garybusey.jpg

Nuzak on
    edited July 2009
    Gary_the_snail.gif
    garyoldman.jpg
    garybusey.jpg
    gary-coleman.jpg

Joolander on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moved From Old Thread:

Right at the top of the OP, though it didn't work for me I think because I have Windows 7.

Hitting esc to the menu will sometimes fix the stuttering for awhile. Whenever the stuttering I just hit the menu until it fixes.

The fix actually worked for me. I ended up just doing both so not sure which one actually fixed it. For some reason I tottally missed the fix at the very top of the thread. D:
    Buttcleft wrote:
    This would be really, really cool. Packs of Garys just roaming the wastes. Super easy to kill individually, but have hundreds and hundreds of them chanting.

You'd hear them from a far then see the wave of vault suited men come flowing over the crest of a hill towards you...

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay, so I'm on the PS3, awaiting Broken Steel, and I'm at level 19. I have a pretty good game going and I still want to keep fucking around. I've only done the story up to GNR and plan on leaving it for now. Do you guys think that the remainder of the vanilla story plus BS is enough experience to get me most of the way to level 30?

September is too far away.

Torso Boy on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moved From Old Thread:

The fix actually worked for me. I ended up just doing both so not sure which one actually fixed it. For some reason I tottally missed the fix at the very top of the thread. D:
    Buttcleft wrote:
    This would be really, really cool. Packs of Garys just roaming the wastes. Super easy to kill individually, but have hundreds and hundreds of them chanting.

You'd hear them from a far then see the wave of vault suited men come flowing over the crest of a hill towards you...

I'd buy that for a dollar.

BlackDove on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What if Gary bit you and turned you into a Gary

Duffel on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    gary-coleman.jpg

Whatchu talkin bout, Elder Lyons?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

You must go on an epic quest to find the fabled cure of the Garys. While a Gary, all of your dialogue options are a variation of "Gary!" until such time as you find the cure.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited July 2009
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-fallout-3/53670

AND I

JIZZED

IN

MY PANTS!

Finally an expansion for us ENR users. Fuck you small guns, fuck you melee, fuck you big guns, it's ENR TIME!

BlackDove on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

You must go on an epic quest to find the fabled cure of the Garys. While a Gary, all of your dialogue options are a variation of "Gary!" until such time as you find the cure.

But if you were turned into a Gary, then surely you wouldn't want to not be a Gary, Gary?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »

AND I

JIZZED

IN

MY PANTS!

Finally an expansion for us ENR users. Fuck you small guns, fuck you melee, fuck you big guns, it's ENR TIME!

Hmm, after watching that trailer I get the impression that all the people who moaned that Anchorage was too much like a shooter are not going to be happy.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BigDes wrote: »

AND I

JIZZED

IN

MY PANTS!

Hmm, after watching that trailer I get the impression that all the people who moaned that Anchorage was too much like a shooter are not going to be happy.

Ha ha, Gary!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2009

AND I

JIZZED

IN

MY PANTS!

Callin' it, X-COM inspired mod within six months. With a decent chance of it being by me.

Sorenson on
    edited July 2009
    Damn that looks fucking awesome

It's so "50's Scifi movie", just like it should be

Duffel on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I know what I'm doing Wednesday now.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Chrysallid rampage in Fallout 3 would be awesomely horrifying.

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2009
    man energy weapons got mega blowjobs from the previous dlc's

tesla cannon, gauss rifle, all the laser shotguns

Nuzak on
    edited July 2009
    man energy weapons got mega blowjobs from the previous dlc's

tesla cannon, gauss rifle, all the laser shotguns
    Yeah but there was only five energy weapons in the original game

We needed more

[/]energy weapons junkie

Duffel on
    edited July 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Oh man I can see it now.

Folks shambling around using the Ghoul animations and shit
    And when you kill them, there's a 50% chance that they'll get completily gibbed as a Chrysallid bursts out of their body and into their place
    And then he charges, rounds pinging off his armored caripace, grinning all the way D:

Sorenson on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I need to finish Point Lookout before Mothership Zeta hits. Hitting level 30 sapped my will to continue, though. Feels like a waste of precious quest XP. I'll have to accept I've hit the cap and move on, I guess.

Xeddicus on
    edited July 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Oh man I can see it now.

Folks shambling around using the Ghoul animations and shit
    And when you kill them, there's a 50% chance that they'll get completily gibbed as a Chrysallid bursts out of their body and into their place
    And then he charges, rounds pinging off his armored caripace, grinning all the way D:

Make it so, Captain Sorenson.

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2009
    I haven't even used the Microwave Emitter, and by the looks of the trailer, it looks like I won't use it at all.

BlackDove on
    edited July 2009
    I haven't even used the Microwave Emitter, and by the looks of the trailer, it looks like I won't use it at all.

It is really quite awful, delay in firing, doesn't do that much damage. I only used it a few times though so maybe it has some SCIENCEtific secrets.

SkutSkut on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I need to finish Point Lookout before Mothership Zeta hits. Hitting level 30 sapped my will to continue, though. Feels like a waste of precious quest XP. I'll have to accept I've hit the cap and move on, I guess.

Maybe you're like me, addicted to that cash registrator sound earning XP does.

Turkey on