As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher] [The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings trailer | 2011 release

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Christ, they offer gigabytes of patches, including completely reworked VO, and somebody complains that finding the 3
    JUST FUCKING THREE
    things required takes more than a minute. Good job, asshat.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really hate those plants in the swamp. I need to stock up on some poison protection.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Christ, they offer gigabytes of patches, including completely reworked VO, and somebody complains that finding the 3
    JUST FUCKING THREE
    things required takes more than a minute. Good job, asshat.

Jerks like that don't deserve all the free awesome. Were it a normal console game, all those awesome extra things would be in a 15 dollar DLC.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    So just to make sure, if I buy the normal version (for like $25 cheaper), it can be patched up to have all the content in the directors cut?

In one awesome word, Yes.

Be prepared to wait a bit on downloading,

Understatement of the year. What a pain in the ass. I can't believe they don't have a better system. Their website is terrible as far as support goes. The first thing it tells you to is upgrade to 1.5, well you can't do that unless you're at 1.4 already, and finding 1.4 is annoying when you are dealing with a Polish website. This is 2009, I shouldn't have to download 3 different things just to patch the damn game. The game has a "check for updates" button, but all it does is take you to their website.

If it's that big of a deal, just do a search for The Witcher at gameupdates.org. You'll find all 3 files you need and the d/l rates are a bit faster.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So just to make sure, if I buy the normal version (for like $25 cheaper), it can be patched up to have all the content in the directors cut?

Understatement of the year. What a pain in the ass. I can't believe they don't have a better system. Their website is terrible as far as support goes. The first thing it tells you to is upgrade to 1.5, well you can't do that unless you're at 1.4 already, and finding 1.4 is annoying when you are dealing with a Polish website. This is 2009, I shouldn't have to download 3 different things just to patch the damn game. The game has a "check for updates" button, but all it does is take you to their website.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I find this bit very appropriate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jETv3NURwLc

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have to agree with Cherrn. They pretty much spell out the whole process for you. 1.4 is also a gigantic patch. Just leave it running and do other things on your computer.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I might pick this one up today.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I really hate those plants in the swamp. I need to stock up on some poison protection.

Yeah they're deadly. I remember spamming Igni and running away out of range while high on health regen potions.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yeah they're deadly. I remember spamming Igni and running away out of range while high on health regen potions.

I don't remember the plants being a big deal, at least not as much as the ones that explode when you kill them, but the unique plant thing killed me so quickly I didn't even realise I was in trouble until I was dead. If the normal plants are giving you trouble, do NOT explore the swamp too much without a fair bit of save-spamming.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

You never played tribes 2 did you? It's like 15 different patches you have to do manually and in order.

Morkath on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Christ, they offer gigabytes of patches, including completely reworked VO, and somebody complains that finding the 3 things required takes more than a minute. Good job, asshat.

Crhist, I can't believe you have all the free time in the world. Christ, I can't believe you read Polish. Christ, I can't believe you'd rather spend your time hunting down patches for patches instead of playing the game. Christ, I can't believe you're such an ignorant fuck that you think this all can't be automated on the back end. Christ, I can't believe you're supporting a company that makes it difficult to patch their game that was originally released quite broken. Christ, I can't believe you have enough money that you don't care how its spent and wouldn't rather spend it on companies that make it easy for their customers to play their games, not harder. Christ, I can't believe you think that just cause a company puts out a patch to fix their fucked up game that that resolves them of all other faults. Hey asshat, were you wanna of those fucktards waiting 2-3 hours just to raid in WoW and then justifying it by saying what a great game WoW is? lolz

No wonder gaming is so fucked up now a days. Too many gamers are willing to blindly take it up the ass just because they think a game is good.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Crhist, I can't believe you have all the free time in the world. Christ, I can't believe you read Polish. Christ, I can't believe you'd rather spend your time hunting down patches for patches instead of playing the game. Christ, I can't believe you're such an ignorant fuck that you think this all can't be automated on the back end. Christ, I can't believe you're supporting a company that makes it difficult to patch their game that was originally released quite broken. Christ, I can't believe you have enough money that you don't care how its spent and wouldn't rather spend it on companies that make it easy for their customers to play their games, not harder. Christ, I can't believe you think that just cause a company puts out a patch to fix their fucked up game that that resolves them of all other faults. Hey asshat, were you wanna of those fucktards waiting 2-3 hours just to raid in WoW and then justifying it by saying what a great game WoW is? lolz

No wonder gaming is so fucked up now a days. Too many gamers are willing to blindly take it up the ass just because they think a game is good.
    whatsa matter you
    Here's another video for you travathian
    why looka youso sad
    itsa notso bad
    itsa nicea place

Alegis on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

You never played tribes 2 did you? It's like 15 different patches you have to do manually and in order.

Company of Heroes has forced patching. Around ten patches at last count, you can't play the game before it's patched (it'll helpfully check for you). Totalling approximately 2 GB.

After each patch downloads, you need to manually shut down the game to allow it to install the patch. After which you manually re-start the game to have it tell you it wants you to download the next patch. So you have to be with your computer through the process in order to achieve this. The actual patching process for each patch depends on size but lasts anywhere between 10 and 40 minutes. EACH.

travathian, I spent a grand total of maybe three minutes finding the patches for Witcher. I left it to install after that and came back when it was done, and then played the game. This entire process, I find it extremely difficult to complain about.

subedii on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Finding 1.4 is as easy as going to this page.

Then you go to this page and download 1.5.

Then, for the boobies, you go to this page.

All of which are easily found from the main Witcher website.

Really, was that so hard?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They have a link on the main site to the EE patch on the front page of the news site. The "check for updates" link takes you to the site with the download links. The only word in polish is "download", but it has a massive download icon so you would have to be blind to not know what it means. Everything else is in English.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Adding in a bit about the console shenanigans. Please keep the fighting to a minimum, I hate it when threads degenerate to flaming over stupid bullshit.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Company of Heroes has forced patching. Around ten patches at last count, you can't play the game before it's patched (it'll helpfully check for you). Each Totalling approximately 2 GB.

Fixed that for accuracy. It was pretty obscene. Either way, to be on topic:

I still need to finish this game. I've just been having a bunch of save corruption issues (don't ask, I don't know) and I keep having to start over.

Very annoying.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the info on the Director's Cut patch, guys. I FINALLY picked this up last night and thought the 1.5 patch was all there is. Just downloaded the DC patch and I'm gonna give it a whirl.

cr0w on
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where can I get the Polish voice pack? The links on the official website don't work for me and I can't find it anywhere else.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    Where can I get the Polish voice pack? The links on the official website don't work for me and I can't find it anywhere else.

I'm not sure, but I think you might need to have the store-bought SE if you want languages other than English.

I'm still wondering whether or not to give the Polish version a go. The English language version has its ups and downs but on the whole is pretty decent.

subedii on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/www/installation_of_twee_in_four_easy_steps.html

You have to have javascript enabled and click the arrows to select Polish.

The direct link for Polish is this: http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/Gry-Fabularne-RPG-Wiedzmin__Edycja_rozszerzona/4407

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well nevermind then. 8-)

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Christ, they offer gigabytes of patches, including completely reworked VO, and somebody complains that finding the 3 things required takes more than a minute. Good job, asshat.

All I can really say to this is that CD Projeckt are one of the best developers at looking out for their customers. I don't really see anyone taking it up the ass from them, just because all the great content they have made freely available takes three downloads instead of one. I would love it if every developer could be as generous as CD Projeckt, even if patching their games becomes slightly more difficult. And I'm not sure why you seem to think their games should be boycotted, no matter how good they are, simply because they can't turn a three-link download into a one-link download.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ... Boy.

Yeah it's not that hard. Particularly if you realize that they have an English website for all of your not Polish reading needs.

'Course it wouldn't matter if they didn't what with all the website translation services around, but damn.

I gave up on the Witcher shortly into part 2 ages back, but with these updates it runs smooth and pretty! <3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Played some more this evening and realized, I've missed talking to Kalkstein.

"Science is like a river..."

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I did not miss talking to Kalkstein. Annoying guy.

Aldo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't believe Kalkstein (Chapter 2 spoilers)
    wasn't the culprit. I wanted him to be evil so badly.

My favorite character to talk to was probably that mercenary leader in the bar. He pulls no punches in his dialogue.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is there anything special you have to do to get the uncensored stuff with steam? I bought the UK version back when it first came out but can't find it and am wondering if the patch will work for the steam version.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Is there anything special you have to do to get the uncensored stuff with steam? I bought the UK version back when it first came out but can't find it and am wondering if the patch will work for the steam version.

the boobies patch is gonna be released on steam soon. the "base" 1.5 patch is already deployed on steam.
    And if you buy the game now, it's gonna be already updated to 1.5 and waiting for the boobies patch.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This may seem like a very stupid question, considering I've been playing RPGs and such for years, but what's the deal with different weapons? I've just gotten into Vizima proper, and have the steel and silver witcher's swords. They do damage 'based on style', as per the description, but there are other weapons (axes and such) that do a set damage amount. Is if worth it to mess with the other weapons? Because the witcher swords are pretty damn effective so far.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nah. Maybe the torch if you don't have cat vision potion on you.

Weapons are just vendor trash because you can't do combinations with 'em. Silver for the monsters and Steel for the humanoids will do just fine. You can/will get different versions of those swords (red meteorite etc) in the game.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    This may seem like a very stupid question, considering I've been playing RPGs and such for years, but what's the deal with different weapons? I've just gotten into Vizima proper, and have the steel and silver witcher's swords. They do damage 'based on style', as per the description, but there are other weapons (axes and such) that do a set damage amount. Is if worth it to mess with the other weapons? Because the witcher swords are pretty damn effective so far.

A few of the other weapons inflict status effects that can be useful (the big one is torches for setting enemies on fire if you haven't upgraded Igni yet), but otherwise are just vendor trash. Forumers have reported that some of the instakill animations will feature Geralt using them alongside his sword if you have them on you, but I've yet to test that out myself.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Personally, I wouldn't care for an 'uncensored' patch. The current images at least manage to stay borderline artistic. Take it any further and it becomes smut.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The uncensored card actually look good. Even with naked boobs and butts.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So that's what was pulled from the NA release? Tits? Are these random tits just alll over the place, or story tits?

This is important.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It refers to the 'collectible' cards you get after bedding a particular girl, I think.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So not in-game stuff?

I can just imagine Geralt and (insert lady here) basking in the afterglow, before he leaps out of bed to paint furiously at an easel.

"Yes....yeeeeeees.....this will do nicely while im out fighting the beasties all on my lonesome, naught but a warm hand for company"

joshua1 on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Some in-game models like the dryad and vampires are nude too. I think in the original US version they had panties and long hair strategically covering things.

grrarg on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hm, well that makes more sense.

Anyone know if the Aust. release would be the NA-censored version?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    hm, well that makes more sense.

Anyone know if the Aust. release would be the NA-censored version?

No, we surprisingly got the uncensored one. At least, the Enhanced edition was uncensored.

AnteCantelope on