As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Meetup [UK] - Birmingham, October 24th and 25th 2009. We Survived!

BobCescaBobCesca Is a girlBirmingham, UKRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, there's a fair few of us in the UK; we should probably meet up in real life at least once to prove we're not all scary internet psychos.

When?
Saturday 24th - Sunday 25th October, 2009.

Where?
Birmingham.
Where all the trains come to die.
map.jpg
('A' = etap hotel)

Who's Coming?
Yes
BobCesca
japan
Mojo_jojo
Bogart
Mrs. Bogart
Kalkino
Forx(?)
Coldred

No
Jokerman (!)
Vulpine
Joh

Maybe
Willeh Dee

What will we do?
Pub with proper beer
eat food - table booked for 7.30pm.
museums and galleries
don't walk too much due to the cripple

Where to stay?
Try the etap (http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/hotel-5678-etap-hotel-etap-hotel-birmingham-centre/index.shtml), probably the cheapest central hotel.

How do I get to Birmingham?
You get the train. Try LondonMidland or the Trainline to book your tickets.

Where do we all meet?
From around 11am on the 24th, japan and I will be sat in Starbucks awaiting the arrival of folk.
To get to the coffee, get off your train and go up the stairs. Go through the ticket barrier. Straight ahead of you is some stairs and 3 escalators leading to something called "The Pallisades". Go up the escalator. When you get to the top on your right is a Starbucks. We will be sat there. Some kind of recognition system will be sorted out.

Original OP:
Welcome to Birmingham

Famous for its roads,
SpaghettiJunction.jpg

a Bull,
Bullring_Bull.jpg

and the strange dalek-bumps which Selfridges thought was a really good idea
f86d16b3-8518-49ba-9422-49bb97ee5a5.jpg

And if you need to know more, there's a website!

So, who is interested in a day and a night of sight-seeing and drinking in Birmingham in October? A weekend is probably best given that most people work, but I didn't want to fix a date as yet.

I'm choosing it mainly 'cos I live here and I'm lazy. However, it is also possible to get here from nearly anywhere due to the joy that is New Street, and it is considerably cheaper than London.

BobCesca on

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    So, there's a fair few of us in the UK; we should probably meet up in real life at least once to prove we're not all scary internet psychos.

Welcome to Birmingham

Famous for its roads,
    SpaghettiJunction.jpg

a Bull,
    Bullring_Bull.jpg

and the strange dalek-bumps which Selfridges thought was a really good idea
    f86d16b3-8518-49ba-9422-49bb97ee5a5.jpg

And if you need to know more, there's a website!

So, who is interested in a day and a night of sight-seeing and drinking in Birmingham in October? A weekend is probably best given that most people work, but I didn't want to fix a date as yet.

I'm choosing it mainly 'cos I live here and I'm lazy. However, it is also possible to get here from nearly anywhere due to the joy that is New Street, and it is considerably cheaper than London.

Yes

BobCesca
    japan

No

Maybe

UKPAX<APAX

And put me in the no catagory...
    D:

Jokerman on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And home of the Thunderdome
    ThunderdomeThugs.jpg

After the success of meeting Bob and not only not being killed and raped, but being gifted a fine gentleman's bag and enjoying a pint and what passes for a coffee in the wasteland that is the university campus, I'm down with this.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm tempted, certainly - could you pop me down as a tentative maybe? I'll need to see if I have any work commitments, but would definitely come if I'm free and can afford it.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Why not London? Because Telly Savalas thinks that Birmingham is his kind of town, that's fucking why.

Kojak loves Birmingham.

In.

Bogart on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Put me down for a tentative yes. The sooner we nail down a time the easier it would be to confirm attendance

So far as location goes, I've not been to Birmingham so it would be neat to see it. Yes, I am a tourist and I like that kind of thing. I also want to visit Blackpool and Skegness

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I also want to visit Blackpool
    I once spent an entire week in Blackpool. I've got stories which are burned on to my brain. I can never forget what happened.

When I returned home I was visibly shell shocked and on the verge of scurvy.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited August 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I once spent an entire week in Blackpool. I've got stories which are burned on to my brain. I can never forget what happened.

Poor sod. I have a couple of British friends resident in NZ who tried to impress upon me the importance of not visiting Blackpool. I've also watched Roy Chubby Brown's movie. I have to see this for myself

Kalkino on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This news just in:

The Birmingham Comedy Festival will be running between Friday 2 October and Sunday 11 October 2009.

BobCesca on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This sounds really nice.

I'd love to be there and be all English/Irish, but I live way too far away.

Great idea, though, Bob.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited August 2009
    I had a google for who will be performing

Rob Brydon - The least funny man in all of the British Isles? How he makes money doing nothing but a bad Alan Partridge impression I don't know.
    Pam Ayres - I've not heard of her.
    David O'Doherty - One of the growing number of musical comedians. I've not seen a great deal of his stuff, but it seemed okay.
    Michael McIntyre - A little smug, but not bad.
    Rich Hall - I've not seen anything from him outside of his playing the "confused American" on QI
    Andy Parsons - I've a problem with his voice following the same pattern for every sentence. He's not bad, but he's far from the highlight of Mock The Week.

So the "big names" are a little slim, but I imagine there are lots to be unveiled. Hopefully John Richardson, Russell Howard or that Canadian who was either called Greg or Craig I saw once, will be playing.

Comedy is a good idea for an outing.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited August 2009
    I had a google for who will be performing

Rob Brydon - The least funny man in all of the British Isles? How he makes money doing nothing but a bad Alan Partridge impression I don't know.
    Pam Ayres - I've not heard of her.
    David O'Doherty - One of the growing number of musical comedians. I've not seen a great deal of his stuff, but it seemed okay.
    Michael McIntyre - A little smug, but not bad.
    Rich Hall - I've not seen anything from him outside of his playing the "confused American" on QI
    Andy Parsons - I've a problem with his voice following the same pattern for every sentence. He's not bad, but he's far from the highlight of Mock The Week.

So the "big names" are a little slim, but I imagine there are lots to be unveiled. Hopefully John Richardson, Russell Howard or that Canadian who was either called Greg or Craig I saw once, will be playing.

Comedy is a good idea for an outing.

I was hoping it would be like the Glasgow one where the best idea is to avoid the big names and look for the small gigs of "unknowns" as, while there is usally a bit of crap, there are usually some absolute gems.

BobCesca on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009

Are you besmirching my home town?

Actually, that's the best description of it I've heard in a while.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited August 2009
    Pam Ayers is a poet much beloved of middle-aged housewives. She's been on QI as well. Rich Hall is fantastic. I've seen him perform a couple of times and he's great.

Here is his alter-ego, Otis L Crenshaw.

Otis L Crenshaw.

Bogart on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I saw Rich Hall at the Edinburgh fringe a couple of years ago. I was really super disappointed, and I usually really like him. But I think that was around the time that George Bush and Terrorism jokes had well and truly run their course and that's all his act seemed to be.

Rook on
  • Willeh DeeWilleh Dee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Put me down for a maybe

Willeh Dee on
    edited August 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Pam Ayers is a poet much beloved of middle-aged housewives. She's been on QI as well. Rich Hall is fantastic. I've seen him perform a couple of times and he's great.

Pam Ayers used to be huge in the 80's. She was much loved even as far away as New Zealand. I still have a horrible memory about having to recite one of her poems for a speech exam. I was like about 6 or 7 so I don't recall my mother giving me much choice in the matter

Kalkino on
  • ForxForx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Since I'm moving up from lurker to poster and I'm already there, why not?

Forx on
    edited August 2009
    Bumping so we can try to pick some dates and suchlike.

BobCesca on
    edited August 2009
    I'd like to move myself up to almost certainly coming. As for dates, I think any weekend in October ought to be good, but I've no other preferences on that front.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    I was thinking maybe Saturday 24th?

It's late enough that people can get organised, and we should be able to find plenty to do in Birmingham for an afternoon and evening and next morning.

BobCesca on
  • ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Put me down for a maybe. I can probably do any date in October apart from the final week, depending on work commitments (I have to go the US again at some point that month). How are hotels in the area?

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
    edited August 2009
    BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    I can do the 24th

Kalkino on
    edited September 2009
    I have nothing else booked for the 24th. Kelly Brook may drop the restraining order in the meantime, but if she doesn't I'm there.

Bogart on
    edited September 2009
    I shall try to think of things to do that doesn't just involve buying beer and watching crappy films at mine and japans.

If anyone knows B'ham very well (or, at least, better than me), please make suggestions!

BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    I shall try to think of things to do that doesn't just involve buying beer and watching crappy films at mine and japans.

Why? That sounds awesome. Add video games to that and we're probably hitting the sweet spots of most of the attendees.

I will probably investigate Birmingham's galleries while I'm there, as I am a big snooty art-lover.

Bogart on
    edited September 2009
    The IKON gallery looks pretty good, and we could make a trip down to the Uni to go to the Barber Institute (and maybe head over to the nature centre at the same time :P).

Stuff like the SeaLife centre and Cadbury World are pretty expensive (~£10 per person for the SeaLife centre, £13 for Cadbury World).

There's also a pub just outside the city centre called the Anchor which is apparently good for real ales and such like.

BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    I like my ales like I like my women. Real.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited September 2009
    I also like ales, so sitting in a good pub is also ok with me. I also like other stuff like galleries and games

Kalkino on
    edited September 2009
    Of course, a lot of this is dependent on having moved into the new house and getting the wii fixed.

As long as people aren't expecting things like carpets or any decent standard of decorating, it'll all be fine...hopefully...

BobCesca on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I also feel it should be pointed out that we own neither a PS3 nor a 360. We are not next-gen.

japan on
    edited September 2009
    If you guys are not ready to have people over how about we just find some sort of for monies game lan. It will cost though

Kalkino on
    edited September 2009
    we have no idea as yet as we're still in the process of buying. It should be fine, though, and it's all still hypothetical at this point.

More importantly, NATURE CENTRE! :P

BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    Personally I don't really feel the need to play games. I'm happy to chat/drink/lookatart/film/etc.

Also, don't let us impose, Bob&japan.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited September 2009
    I am going to put my vote for Bob&Japan acting out a scene from Bob's PHD draft. Then in response each of the attendees will perform either a brief performance piece or some sort of Pam Ayers like poem. This must all be done either in the pub or in a busy public thoroughfare

Kalkino on
    edited September 2009
    I'm thinking of seeing what's on at the flicks that weekend as well - it's an easy excuse for me to be able to sit down for a couple of hours, and we can always crash a hotel room and play boardgames or something if people are still awake after closing time.

EDIT: there will not be any demonstrations of Martial epigrams from my PhD in public. by me and japan. Ever. What the rest of you do is your own business :winky:

BobCesca on
    edited September 2009
    I need to be in Dorset for Monday 26th October, which does limit me a little. (Going to see Morrissey, at long last. H'rah!)

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2009
    I'm thinking of seeing what's on at the flicks that weekend as well - it's an easy excuse for me to be able to sit down for a couple of hours, and we can always crash a hotel room and play boardgames or something if people are still awake after closing time.

EDIT: there will not be any demonstrations of Martial epigrams from my PhD in public. by me and japan. Ever. What the rest of you do is your own business :winky:

Damm. So much for my plan to make Birmingham the European Capital of Culture 2009

Kalkino on
    edited September 2009
    According to IMDB, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant will be at the flicks that weekend as well.

BobCesca on