As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Brakes making a funny noise

TamTam Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
When brake in my car, there's a noise of metal lightly grinding on metal. It happens when I first start braking and then when I let off. It's almost like a hissing noise.

Car is a 1995 Corolla DX; over 150K miles

If it's a simple problem, it'd be great to fix it myself or have a friend fix it instead paying $Texas at the mechanic's.

Tam on

• KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Get new brakes.

Kingthlayer on
  • wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brake pads are worn down. Very normal, very inexpensive to replace.

If you or your friend aren't accustomed to replacing drum brakes, I'd take it to a mechanic. I only do disc brakes - I've heard drums are a bitch.

wallabeeX on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If its not the brake pads the only other thing I can think of is the brakes need cleaning. They sell a cleaner. Just make sure to wear a mask when doing it. Very toxic.

Psychotic One on
  • finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Most (if not all) brake pads have a little metal tab that serves as a warning when your brakes get low. So just get new brakes.

It's not terribly urgent, but I wouldn't wait forever either.

finalflight89 on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll check and see about the brake pads. If I do end up having to replace the brakes, about how much will that cost?

Tam on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you get out of there for under $700 I'd be impressed.

If you actually need new non-pad components that is.

Jasconius on
  • ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    I'll check and see about the brake pads. If I do end up having to replace the brakes, about how much will that cost?
    brake pad/shoe replacement will run you about $100. if you need new drums/rotors it will be a LOT more. like 1000% more.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
    edited August 2009
    fuck me sideways

Tam on
  • GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It wont cost very much to have a shop check the pads. Do it NOW before you tear into the rotor. Getting new brakes is no big deal but new rotors are going to cost you an arm and a leg. And then the other arm.

Grimm on
  • GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It wont cost very much to have a shop check the pads. Do it NOW before you tear into the rotor. Getting new brakes is no big deal but new rotors are going to cost you an arm and a leg. And then the other arm.

Grimm on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    brake pad/shoe replacement will run you about $100. if you need new drums/rotors it will be a LOT more. like 1000% more.

If they are drums (at least in Australia corollas only have drums on the back) I am not sure of the price.

But you can easily get rotars for discs breaks at like 70 bucks each.

And these are in Australian dollars.

Blake T on
  • ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

If they are drums (at least in Australia corollas only have drums on the back) I am not sure of the price.

the labor is where they fuck you

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    List on front pads and rotors, OEM: 48 for the pads, 112 each for the rotors

List for rear drums and shoes, also OEM: 42 for the pads, 100 each for the drums.

Labour should be no more than 100-150 assuming they're only doing front or rears. The likelihood of needing both is pretty low. If you get aftermarket parts they'll be cheaper, but they also might squeal a lot or just be poorer quality.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you have never gotten the brakes replaced, then you better get them checked, because they do wear down and at 150K miles, you may not actually have any brakes left.

If you want your hearing is like a high-pitched whistling, then the brakes are likely just glazing, which is annoying but isn't really damaging.

If you're getting an actual clicking, you better check that the CV boot is still intact and make sure it's the brakes and not the axle. Because if you're get a click from the axle, it'll need to be replaced which is gonna cost you.

Dalboz on
    edited August 2009
    no, there's no clicking. it's just like a light, whining whistle.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help. I'll take it to get checked tomorrow.

Tam on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Disc brakes are easy. doubly so if you have someone with even a vague idea on how to do it.

Infact I would check youtube there are probably a few guides on how to do it up there.

Blake T on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Doing your own disc brakes isn't particularly difficult and can usually be done without too many tools.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it easy to tell though, if you're changing your own brake pads, whether or not the rotor needs to be replaced as well? Tell-tale signs to look for, etc?

Kris on
  • Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Deep scratches or gouges

Dr. Gero on
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Usually even if you want to keep the rotor you want to get it machined. Lots of auto shops can help you out with this and it's pretty cheap. If they are too far worn to machine, then you can get the replacement. Just make sure you know of a reasonably honest place to take them as some places could just tell you they are toast when they are fine (I actually had a ford dealer try and pull this on me).

You'll also want to make sure the Calipers are moving well and not leaking fluid. They actually aren't too pricey since you bring in the old one and get the "core charge" part of the price back.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

the labor is where they fuck you

If you can find a local, non chain, mechanic, this can be done much cheaper. A year or so ago I got two new pads, two new disk breaks, both installed, for less than $150USD.

blakfeld on
  • SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »
    If you have never gotten the brakes replaced, then you better get them checked, because they do wear down and at 150K miles, you may not actually have any brakes left.

If you want your hearing is like a high-pitched whistling, then the brakes are likely just glazing, which is annoying but isn't really damaging.

If you're getting an actual clicking, you better check that the CV boot is still intact and make sure it's the brakes and not the axle. Because if you're get a click from the axle, it'll need to be replaced which is gonna cost you.

Shit, would this clicking have to be continous? Or could it also be sporatic? My car just started making a really low pitched clicking sound sporatically when its going less than 15 mph, sounds like the brake area.

Slo on
  • Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't be tempted to skimp on paying for new pads. Buying a set of high quality pads will save you headaches in the long run.

Mildly-related note: how long has it been since you changed your brake fluid?

Golden Leg on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

First take a can of air and blow out the brakes. Sometimes brakedust builds up and it can cause grinding and loud metal on metal scratching noises. Also recomend brake cleaner. (Wear a mask!)

Pull off the tire and make sure the pad is not wore down and digging into your rotor. This is very bad. If you need new rotors it will not cost to much. I always buy my rotors and pads and tell the garage to put them on. It cuts the cost in half.

Also if it is humid where you live, the moisture will build up over night and when you go to brake when starting the car it will also make noises.

If the rotors are scratched another option is to flip them. This will save money also. Not really recomended though.

Laonar on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Slo wrote: »
    Dalboz wrote: »

Shit, would this clicking have to be continous? Or could it also be sporatic? My car just started making a really low pitched clicking sound sporatically when its going less than 15 mph, sounds like the brake area.

there are alot of things that clicking can mean.

if its the axle, it usually clicks when turning. if its the brakes it will click when braking.

it may just be that you have some rocks stuck in your hubcaps though so don't freak out.

Dunadan019 on
    edited August 2009
    oh, by the way, got it checked, and it was just the pads.

Tam on