As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do you say goodbye?

PongePonge Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm leaving Hong Kong on Sunday, the place i've lived for over a year and returning to the UK to go back to university. Every day I'm saying goodbye to someone else who has been an amazing friend to me while I've been here, and it's tearing me up. Tonight I had to say goodbye to a really great friend and his wife who are going on holiday tomorow and it's killing me knowing that I might never see them again, or not on the regular occasions that we met up.

I know exactly what the answer is, that its not a definate farewell and that i'll see them again. It's just that my last week here is like pulling off a band-aid slowly.

I have plenty to look forward to when i go home and starting a new university, it's just that I get so bloody sentimental sometimes.

Ponge on

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sayonara?

Seriously though, communication these days is easier and faster than ever. With Skype, a webcam and a decent internet connection, you're never more than a few seconds away from seeing people on opposite ends of the globe face to face again. Just keep in regular contact via phone, IM, facebook, smoke signals, whatever and you can meet up again when circumstances allow it.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Sayonara?

Seriously though, communication these days is easier and faster than ever. With Skype, a webcam and a decent internet connection, you're never more than a few seconds away from seeing people on opposite ends of the globe face to face again. Just keep in regular contact via phone, IM, facebook, smoke signals, whatever and you can meet up again when circumstances allow it.

This! Really, I keep in touch with people in at least a dozen places (where I lived, or where they moved to after we met) using all sorts of electronic gizmos.

Also, life changes, you have friends now, you had friends before, you will have friends later. Maybe not the ones that you have now, but other, equally great ones. This is the, somewhat sad, reality of an expat. It sucks now, cry about it, push on but remember to always life in the here and now (i.e. don't cling to old friendships).

Also, think you have it hard? I have to do the same to my girlfriend in a few weeks (we decided not to go LD).

Tinuz on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tinuz wrote: »
    Sayonara?

This! Really, I keep in touch with people in at least a dozen places (where I lived, or where they moved to after we met) using all sorts of electronic gizmos.
    in this day and age there is no more "goodbye", just "we'll still talk we'll just be doing it through 10,000 miles of fiber optic cable".

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    TinuzTinuz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tinuz wrote: »
    Sayonara?

in this day and age there is no more "goodbye", just "we'll still talk we'll just be doing it through 10,000 miles of fiber optic cable".

Haha, yeah. The only downside to that is the very real risk of getting stuck 'in between' two places. Keeping in touch with people is fun and all, but don't forget to make friends where you are (you know, physically).

Tinuz on