As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New 120 GB XBox360 model confirmed in new Game Informer?

2»

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Does HDMI even make much of a difference?

I mean, I'm one of those guys who can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i.

It's just that it's necessary for things like 1080p

Deusfaux on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm calling April Fools for now.

They wouldn't do April Fools like this since they're partners with GameStop/EB and they know salespeople use GameInformer to sell shit to customers

Garlic Bread on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Zephos wrote: »
    i dont remember that recoil, refresh me.

Not sure if it was last April Fool's, or the year before that, but basically, "ninjas" started "killing" forumers one by one.

You'd just login one day and find out that you were "killed". Once a forumer was "killed" by a "ninja", their sig would be replaced by a message saying so, and their posts would all appear as light grey text on an only slightly-darker-than-that grey background. > Essentially, impossible to read, kinda like this. <

There was no point beyond that. No punchline. Just the forums getting progressively harder and harder to read, and more and more of a pain in the ass to come to every day as more people were "killed" by "ninjas".

There was a huge uproar about it. Eventually, the only viable way to read the forums before the entire fiasco ended was to disable CSS on every page. (ie, in firefox: view > page style > no style)

I believe that there was a puzzle attached to it, with the forumers needing to follow clues to find an image hidden somewhere on this site.

I still think that last year's April Fools here was much lamer than that.

jothki on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maaaan, I havn't been around for anything fun.

I'm buying a black controller I guess

I'll just buy a memory card if my hard drive gets too loaded up with demos

Scrumtrulescent on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Two things: I hope we get the HD seprate as well. And the ninja thing was awesome.

projectmayhem on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    Two things: I hope we get the HD seprate as well. And the ninja thing was awesome.

GI says the hard drive will be less than $200

so either $199.99 or $179.99

Garlic Bread on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Does HDMI even make much of a difference?

I mean, I'm one of those guys who can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i.

It means you can hook it up to a computer monitor with a $5 cable instead of the $40 VGA cable.

Daedalus on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I have no use for the HDMI, but I'll welcome anything that brings the price of the normal 360 down a bit. I've kind of been on the fence about one for a while now.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Zephos wrote: »
    i dont remember that recoil, refresh me.

Not sure if it was last April Fool's, or the year before that, but basically, "ninjas" started "killing" forumers one by one.

You'd just login one day and find out that you were "killed". Once a forumer was "killed" by a "ninja", their sig would be replaced by a message saying so, and their posts would all appear as light grey text on an only slightly-darker-than-that grey background. > Essentially, impossible to read, kinda like this. <

There was no point beyond that. No punchline. Just the forums getting progressively harder and harder to read, and more and more of a pain in the ass to come to every day as more people were "killed" by "ninjas".

There was a huge uproar about it. Eventually, the only viable way to read the forums before the entire fiasco ended was to disable CSS on every page. (ie, in firefox: view > page style > no style)

Don't forget that the "April Fool's Joke" lasted for a fucking week and a half.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    WHINE WHINE WHINE I'M A BIG FUCKING CRYBABY THAT CAN'T REMEMBER TO DISCUSS THE NEW 360 MODEL IN THE THREAD DESIGNATED FOR THAT RATHER THAN WHINE ABOUT COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC BULLSHIT FROM TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO

WHINE

Seriously you're the soggiest bunch of pansies on the forums AND I MODERATE H/A SO I KNOW ALL ABOUT SOPPING SISSIES.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    ~$200 for a 120gig HDD? We're headed back towards reasonable here. They should include wireless functionality in the new model as well, considering they've made the price of the receiver equally as unreasonable as a $100 20gig HDD.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What pisses alot of us off is that we want to use our own external storage devices and microsoft will not let us. Proprietary hardware has always been crappy for the end user.

Viscountalpha on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't want hacking on xbox live to be that easy.

Ranced on
    edited March 2007
    What pisses alot of us off is that we want to use our own external storage devices and microsoft will not let us. Proprietary hardware has always been crappy for the end user.

So buy one of these.

Garlic Bread on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That doesn't really do what he wants and is a bit of a hassle to use.

Ranced on
    edited March 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    I have no use for the HDMI, but I'll welcome anything that brings the price of the normal 360 down a bit. I've kind of been on the fence about one for a while now.

Yeah, same. I was about to pick up a used one, but now I want to hold off just in case the price drops

Or I can pick up a used one with the extra warranty, then if the price drops I can return it and get another used one for cheaper

But the warranty probably costs as much as the price drop

but a warranty's never a bad thing to have

decisions

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2007
    Ranced wrote: »
    That doesn't really do what he wants and is a bit of a hassle to use.

Sure it does. He wants to use his own hard drives, so he hooks that up to his 360 and uses his PC hard drive

Sure, he can't use more than 20GB of stuff at a time, but he can spend 5 minutes to transfer stuff back and forth

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2007
    Isn't there some sort of block against using, say, a USB flash drive with the 360? I remember reading somewhere that all USB peripherals had to have some sort of device inside them before the 360 would recognize them. That's going to be a cunt when UT3 comes out and you can't use anything but the Microsoft-approved KBM.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Isn't there some sort of block against using, say, a USB flash drive with the 360? I remember reading somewhere that all USB peripherals had to have some sort of device inside them before the 360 would recognize them. That's going to be a cunt when UT3 comes out and you can't use anything but the gamepad.

fixt

FreddyD on
    edited March 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Isn't there some sort of block against using, say, a USB flash drive with the 360? I remember reading somewhere that all USB peripherals had to have some sort of device inside them before the 360 would recognize them. That's going to be a cunt when UT3 comes out and you can't use anything but the gamepad.

fixt

So get it on PC or PS3

Garlic Bread on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »

fixt

So get it on PC or PS3

Is the PS3 version going to allow KBAM control? I know you can use them for web surfing and such on PS3, but I didn't know any games supported them.

bruin on
    edited March 2007

fixt

I thought they were letting both the PS3 and the 360 versions have a KBM control options?

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited March 2007

fixt

I thought they were letting both the PS3 and the 360 versions have a KBM control options?
    360 doesn't support KBAM for game control, only keyboard for text entry.

bruin on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WTF is 'KBAM'?

Magus` on
    edited March 2007
    KeyBoard And Mouse

bruin on
    edited March 2007
    Keyboard and mouse.

Edit: ^pwnt

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, ok. Thought it was some freaky keyboard layout that I was unaware of.

Whoops.

Magus` on
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

fixt

So get it on PC or PS3

Is the PS3 version going to allow KBAM control? I know you can use them for web surfing and such on PS3, but I didn't know any games supported them.

Yes

I think it might be a certain logitech set, though

I'm not sure

Garlic Bread on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

fixt

So get it on PC or PS3

KB/M is confirmed for the PS3. I am not sure about the XBox 360.

I think it is time to let fps gamers use the controls these games were designed to use. There are wireless lapboards out there now so gamers can't use the excuse that kb/m will tether them to a desk.

FreddyD on
    edited March 2007

fixt

So get it on PC or PS3

I think it is time to let fps gamers use the controls these games were designed to use. There are wireless lapboards out there now so gamers can't use the excuse that kb/m will tether them to a desk.

you can use a keyboard and mouse on your computer

i mean

fuck, why can't I use my wii controller on my PS3 this is retarded sony just wants me to spend more money

Garlic Bread on
  • TiberianTiberian Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    I had finally talked myself into getting a 360, then a few hours before I was off to the store I see this. Like a kick to nuts, I can't even move now. Someone tell me it's still alright to go buy a 360 now, I need me some TMNT arcade and SotN.

Tiberian on
    Show up for the locked threads, stay for the bannings.
    edited March 2007
    Tiberian wrote: »
    I had finally talked myself into getting a 360, then a few hours before I was off to the store I see this. Like a kick to nuts, I can't even move now. Someone tell me it's still alright to go buy a 360 now, I need me some TMNT arcade and SotN.

hint: they'll still be there whenever you buy a 360

Garlic Bread on
  • TiberianTiberian Registered User new member
    edited March 2007

hint: they'll still be there whenever you buy a 360

When to buy a 360 is my problem. The availability of Live downloads is not.

Tiberian on
    Show up for the locked threads, stay for the bannings.
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007

It's just a rumour right now, and is still at least several months away if true. And it's also apparently going to be $80 more than the Premium. If you want one now, and there are games you want to play out now, then go get one.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited March 2007

fixt

So get it on PC or PS3

you can use a keyboard and mouse on your computer

i mean

fuck, why can't I use my wii controller on my PS3 this is retarded sony just wants me to spend more money

Because, you know, that's exactly what's happening. What are you, 10? It's not like keyboards are exclusive to PC's, and some of us enjoy the pinpoint accuracy of a mouse over a thumb stick. Considering that Unreal finds its roots in the PC, this is not that much of a surprise. Besides, you can buy a USB KBM combo that costs less than $20 easily.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The new (April) issue of Game Informer has started showing up in Gamestop stores, and has a very interesting lead news article.

Late April

Black Xbox 360 (pictured in the issue. Looks really nice)
    -120GB HD
    -HDMI Port
    -HDMI Cables included

$479 (approx)

no HD-DVD included like some rumors had said.

Black Controllers/Accessories will also be sold seperately (assuming this means the 120gb HD too).

Well, unless this just turns out to be a April Fools Joke (not likely... but I suppose anything is possible), we now have confirmation of the new model system and a rough release date.

edit: well just saw there was a mention of this a page deep in the rumor control thread. ah well... news like this needs its own thread anyway.

Ok, I'd buy it. This is assuming all previous hardware issues are resolved when this comes out.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No HD-DVD? If the Premium is to replace the core and this is going to be sold for a price so close to the $500 BD-equipped PS3, then it had better. I know it needs a larger HDD for IPTV, but just like $100 was too much for a 20GB drive, $175 is too much for a 120GB drive. They must be retiring the core in name only and the Premium unit isn't taking its price point. Honestly, this logic is exactly why I didn't jump on the XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive for $160 deal that Microcenter was having. Well, that and the HDMI model coming so soon.

CZroe on
  • MGS3-SSMGS3-SS Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Finally a bigger hard drive then.

MGS3-SS on
    bf2.jpg
    ak4729xm.jpg
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If this is an April Fool's joke, someone is gonna lose a testicle.

It's too plausible, it would be cruel. There should be some kind of threshold for decency when doing an April Fool's joke.

capable heart on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If this is an April Fool's joke, someone is gonna lose a testicle.

It's too plausible, it would be cruel. There should be some kind of threshold for decency when doing an April Fool's joke.

The SKU has been in retailer computers for weeks. "A" new model is confirmed, so that's not a joke.

CZroe on