As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX 2009 Schedule + Show Map

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
http://www.paxsite.com/schedule.php

Have at it.

What is everyone looking foward to? :)

EDIT:

PLUS MAP OF PAX & EXPO
http://www.destructoid.com/take-a-look-at-this-year-s-pax-show-floor-144132.phtml

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
BigRed on

• AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Saturday Night Concert! Freezepop + Paul and Storm + JoCo is a winning combination.

Haven't seen the second season of Legend of Neil, so that should be fun. Mega64 is always a delight, and looking forward to seeing the Omegathon open with Mario Kart Wii. Knock 'em out cold, eye-shuh!

AltDelete on
  • OrosoOroso Enforcer PortlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Halo tourny going until 6am is a typo, right? Please be a typo.

Oroso on
  • kikikatkikikat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am definitely intersted in seeing what "Psychiatry, Video Games, and Kids - The Science, The Opinions, and the Lies" is all about. I wrote my thesis on The Legal and Psychological Implications of Cyberstalking and am always interested in what the experts are up to!

kikikat on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    I'm writing a research paper about Twitter and PAX next semester, so I should probably attend that Twitter panel.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    definitely going to see the demo of the old republic sunday and the ODST panel.

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The HAWP panel! Those crazy Burch siblings should be pretty interesting to watch.

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • ValanderValander Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm really, really hoping the panels won't turn out like they did last year: Wait in line forever, only to be turned away because it was full or have to get in line so far in advance you miss other events.

What is being done to try to help? That, to me, was the single biggest disappointment and failure of PAX last year; I didn't get to a single panel I wanted to go to because of lines like that.

Valander on
    D.
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The satelite theaters are being super staffed this year, to help with those issues. I assume they will have some kind of solution in place to prevent that.

I can inquire to see if someone from sat theater can comment.

BigRed on
    edited August 2009
    The Sex in Videogames one was packed last year, we had to get in line really early. But it was worth it because it was very entertaining! Not sure if I will go again, give other peopel a chance to see it :)

kikikat on
    edited August 2009
    OOOPSSS - double post

kikikat on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm super psyched about the Old Republic live demo, and there's fricken two of them!!!

Aside from that, seems like there's a lot of good panels this year, I will check out the Rooster Teeth panel for sure, and probably a few others. I'm sure I can get my film crews to cover a good deal of them as well. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Sleet01Sleet01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We whipped up a Google docs version of the schedule so you won't need a PDF reader and a 50x loupe to view the event matrix. Enjoy!

Sleet01 on
    And it's oh, boys, can't you code it <huh> and program it right;
    Nothin' ever happens in this life of mine.
    I'm haulin' out the data on the Xerox line!
  • kantspellkantspell Seattle, WARegistered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Sleet01 wrote: »
    We whipped up a Google docs version of the schedule so you won't need a PDF reader and a 50x loupe to view the event matrix. Enjoy!

Awesome. Note the second tab "PAX2009 CLEAN" is the same spreadsheet w/o the groups initials.

kantspell on
  • OzzimoOzzimo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Old republic demo, 1up live, giant bomb, and TRS. I have some odd man-love for podcasts. :)

Ozzimo on
  • DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What is up with a schedule on the main PAX page that isn't even remotely printable?

DeusTrinitas on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sleet01 wrote: »
    much more viewable, thank you!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • themateothemateo SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am the Satellite Theater Manager.

All theaters will be equipped with clickers and some signage. Still working out the details of that. Also, many theaters will clear the rooms between panels to help alleviate the stress of waiting through panels.

Another benefit of the setup we have this year will be that many of the theaters will be on the same floor so alot of the floor space can get used for moving people around.

The theaters also have multiple doors and we are getting a good amount of staff to help make sure that everything happens quickly.

themateo on
    edited August 2009
    themateo wrote: »
    I am the Satellite Theater Manager.

All theaters will be equipped with clickers and some signage. Still working out the details of that. Also, many theaters will clear the rooms between panels to help alleviate the stress of waiting through panels.

Another benefit of the setup we have this year will be that many of the theaters will be on the same floor so alot of the floor space can get used for moving people around.

The theaters also have multiple doors and we are getting a good amount of staff to help make sure that everything happens quickly.

Hm. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence that it's going to be any better at all. I was hoping for tickets or something similar to how GenCon deals with such things. Just because you have more people staffing doors doesn't mean that I'm not going to either have to wait in line for 2 hours ahead of time to make sure I get in, or wind up waiting in line, then getting to the door only to be told, "sorry, we just let the last person in; we're full now, go away."

Valander on
    D.
  • Amber FechkoAmber Fechko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We'll be capping lines this year -- e.g. if there are already 550 people in line for an event, and the theatre only holds 550 people, the last person in line will be holding a sign that says "SORRY, THIS EVENT IS CLOSED" or something along those lines. It'll save you the trouble of lining up for something and then being turned away at the door.

I can't promise that you'll see every event you want to see, but at the very least it should help that our *largest* satellite theatre from last year is now our *smallest* satellite theatre for this year.

Amber Fechko on
    edited August 2009
    We'll be capping lines this year -- e.g. if there are already 550 people in line for an event, and the theatre only holds 550 people, the last person in line will be holding a sign that says "SORRY, THIS EVENT IS CLOSED" or something along those lines. It'll save you the trouble of lining up for something and then being turned away at the door.

I can't promise that you'll see every event you want to see, but at the very least it should help that our *largest* satellite theatre from last year is now our *smallest* satellite theatre for this year.

That will help a little, but still means camping out for an unknown time beforehand. Oh well, I'll just have to see how it goes. It also doesn't really address the issue of line-squatters, either, unless you'll have a strict policy on not being able to hold your buddies' places in line.

Valander on
    D.
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It wouldn't be PAX unless the few panels I wanted to see were all at the same time.

never change :)

The_Reflection on
  • kantspellkantspell Seattle, WARegistered User new member
    edited August 2009
    It wouldn't be PAX unless the few panels I wanted to see were all at the same time.

Yup. Too bad they don't record them so you can watch them during down time. Recordings would also let you watch a panel that was too full to attend live.

kantspell on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Valander wrote: »

That will help a little, but still means camping out for an unknown time beforehand. Oh well, I'll just have to see how it goes. It also doesn't really address the issue of line-squatters, either, unless you'll have a strict policy on not being able to hold your buddies' places in line.

I'm also curious on what this policy will be, as my group and I normally will get in line together then take turns sending somebody for food or taking bathroom breaks.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, many theaters will clear the rooms between panels to help alleviate the stress of waiting through panels.
    This policy NEEDS to be fleshed out more and set in stone before the event. It's been a sticking point for a while now. There needs to be an easy way to know if a theater will be cleared out after an event, before the next one.

For example, the first PA panel is directly after the keynote. If I want to go to both, can I simply stay in my seat? What if someone wants to attend only the PA panel, do they have to also go to the keynote to ensure that there will be room?

I know that my example is for the main theater, but I think it's a bad idea to have an ad-hoc policy for each event. People need to know ahead of time if the theaters are going to be cleared out.

aragorn18 on
  • MrPulsarMrPulsar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No Guitar Hero or Rock Band tournament this year, eh? :(

That's a shame, always my favorite thing to do at PAX. Anyone know the exact reasoning for that?

MrPulsar on
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seeing as how the event will be attended by 75k people this year, (turnstile count) lines are something that can't be avoided. Compared to last year things already sound vastly improved by doing counts in the line to determine how many people will fit in, and cutting off the line at that point.

So you won't have to worry about standing in line for an hour and end up not getting in. That's really all that should matter.

If you don't want to wait in line at all... well there's not much that can be done to fix that. Sorry.

As for finding out which panels will be cleared out completely, just ask one the friendly people managing the line. They'll know the answer and can tell you before you commit any time to waiting.
    aragorn18 wrote: »
    For example, the first PA panel is directly after the keynote. If I want to go to both, can I simply stay in my seat? What if someone wants to attend only the PA panel, do they have to also go to the keynote to ensure that there will be room?

For that specific example, I'm certainly not "in the know" about such things but considering the Keynote and PA Panel are back to back, if one was to make an educated guess, it would be difficult to completely clear a room that holds 6000 in 0 minutes. If you really want to be sure you see that specific PA Panel, you might want to show up for the keynote. Otherwise there's the Make a Strip panel on Saturday and the second PA Panel on Sunday and neither of those is back to back with another panel. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    kantspell wrote: »

Yup. Too bad they don't record them so you can watch them during down time. Recordings would also let you watch a panel that was too full to attend live.

My team will be filming certain panels and will take suggestions from people on what panels they would want to us to film, so when I post the thread about it, go ahead and let us know, and maybe your dreams will in fact come true and you won't have to worry about missing panels. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • pagerunnerpagerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, many theaters will clear the rooms between panels to help alleviate the stress of waiting through panels.

Only thing I want to know is if this applies to the main theater. If it does, I'm going to have some odd scheduling decisions to make.... ;)

pagerunner on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My schedule pretty much:

Friday

Keynote vs Mega 64 Panel: If these weren't on the same time it would be the perfect weekend... Go figure that these are the two panels I wanted to see most. Boo hiss! Probably going to go to the keynote...

Omegathon Round 2: Might go to the first round too, but definitely the second round.

PA Panel #1: Always a must.

Demo of AC2 and Splinter Cell: MAYBE, I have more interest in Splinter Cell than AC2, but I'll probably go.

World Record Attempt: Because I want to say I was part of a world record, would be kind of cool.

Geek Movies: Nothing will beat the Post-Apoc movies of last year, but if the Geek Movies are good, i'd gladly skip the first night of concerts. Otherwise...

Concert night #1: I like how the similar bands are on the same night for the most part. Night #2 is much better though.

Saturday

SWTOR Demo: So good I might go to it twice!

Rooster Teeth Panel: I regreted not going last year, this year it's a must!

Omegathon Round 4: Myster Rhythm game? sure.

Concert night #2: Awesome night of concerts is awesome.

Sunday

SWTOR Demo: If SWTOR is good the first time, i might go see it twice... Not sure. Otherwise.

Omegathon: Connect Four! FTW!

PA Panel #2: Maybe, undecided yet.

Gabe & Tycho signing: I'm going to get them to sign my wheelchair :mrgreen: EDIT: I might actually go to the Wil Wheaton panel instead.

Omegathon Final: Obviously

Pretty awesome schedule this year... Not many of the minor panels I want to see, so lots of free time for BYOC and expo hall.

parabola on
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Omegathon, Wil Wheaton Presents: THE AWESOME HOUR!!1 & the keynote are at the top of my list.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • ThistledownThistledown Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't particular care for the visual style of the schedule. It's difficult to read (fit on a monitor), and it doesn't print well. To combat this, I've created my own alternative version of the schedule. I've used this same format for Star Wars Celebrations III and IV. It may have some typos, and obviously the schedule is subject to change. However, it should look good in print.

PAX 2009 Alternative Schedule (PDF)
    PAX 2009 Alternative Schedule (XLS)

Thistledown on
  • CougRonCougRon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't particular care for the visual style of the schedule. It's difficult to read (fit on a monitor), and it doesn't print well. To combat this, I've created my own alternative version of the schedule. I've used this same format for Star Wars Celebrations III and IV. It may have some typos, and obviously the schedule is subject to change. However, it should look good in print.

I like this version much much better.

To whom it may concern, This is what your schedule pdf should look like. Make it happen.

CougRon on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was gonna go to the keynote, but for Mega64, I will gladly skip it, it's having to miss the beginning or possibly all of the first PA panel that saddens me.

The_Reflection on
  • Amber FechkoAmber Fechko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    CougRon wrote: »

To whom it may concern, This is what your schedule pdf should look like. Make it happen.

Feedback is appreciated! We'll work on something more printable today. :)

Amber Fechko on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Prepare to Drop" (Friday 330-430) is the slogan for HALO ODST.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Thank you, Amber! I know many of us would appreciate that greatly! :)

DeusTrinitas on
  • ThistledownThistledown Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Thank you, Amber! I know many of us would appreciate that greatly! :)

Modify this one if you'd like. It's free for anyone to use or modify. The blocks of time are merged cells. If you need to make a change to the size of a slot, go to the properties of the merged cell and uncheck the merge box. Then select the number of cells you want, go to properties and select merge again. If you've reduced the time, you'll have to clear the formatting of any colored cells underneath.

Thistledown on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh that's interesting. Doors open at 10am on the Friday for everyone or is that just media? If I recall last year, expo doors didn't open until 2pm for general admittance whilst the media had 2 hours of the floor to themselves from 12pm. If this is the case, I'm all for it. It was terribly empty for that period when I went in. Didn't feel right at all!

Oh and on the queues front, what about instigating a rule that anyone wearing a Forum Badge gets priority admittance to all panels.....I'M KIDDING!!!. I can imagine the kind of cluster f*** queues would devolve into should such a rule exist. That and the Enforcers would likely get lynched, along with the idiot who made the badges in the first place, i.e. yours truely. Let's forget I mentioned it shall we eh?

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would like a set-in-stone answer when one is available about the times the main theatre will be cleared out. Last year I missed all of the Gabe and Tycho panels because I didn't know you had to sit inside the theatre from the second the convention opened in order to have a spot. I wouldn't like to learn from my mistake this year only to be booted out because this year they're cleared out between panels.

Also, the Monkey Island panel with telltale? yes.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Oh that's interesting. Doors open at 10am on the Friday for everyone or is that just media? If I recall last year, expo doors didn't open until 2pm for general admittance whilst the media had 2 hours of the floor to themselves from 12pm. If this is the case, I'm all for it. It was terribly empty for that period when I went in. Didn't feel right at all!

not sure when media gets in this year, but yes the opening time was moved up to 10am for everybody on friday.

BigRed on
This discussion has been closed.