As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BORDERLANDS: It's a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm! [NSF56K]

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hellgate was a bad game unfortunately. I hope this one is better.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    rayofash wrote: »
    Sorry, giant over-muscular men with muscles that don't even exist in normal anatomy aren't my thing (maybe if I were white trash skinhead who drove harleys), and being forced to play as one according to what class I want to play as is even worse.
    wait, you want to play as the tank, but you don't want the player model to look the part?

o_O

i mean, give me a game where the tank character ISN'T fucking massive and i'll understand, but there's 3 other character classes you can use. and if you're NOT dead-set on using brick, then why bitch about his design?

(apart from the obvious G.I. Joe torso and arms on top of Barbie hips and legs. :P )

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    (apart from the obvious G.I. Joe torso and arms on top of Barbie hips and legs. :P )

Wait so going to the gym won't make me look like that? :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    corin7 wrote: »
    Wow the character design is horrible.

You have bad taste, you should feel bad.

Sorry, giant over-muscular men with muscles that don't even exist in normal anatomy aren't my thing (maybe if I were white trash skinhead who drove harleys), and being forced to play as one according to what class I want to play as is even worse.

Edit: My main concern is what happened with Hellgate. This looks like it's just going to be another Hellgate.
    sadheavy.jpg

Anyway, did carbon or whoever make a group for this yet? I hope it has a decent friends system or supports steam or something like that. I know its on the fly play, but getting the right people together for stuff needs a solid backbone.

BlindPsychic on
    edited August 2009
    Is most everyone planning on picking this up for PC? I'm still thinking 360, just because controller + couch + TV = <3.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is this on Games For Windows Live?

joshofalltrades on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is most everyone planning on picking this up for PC? I'm still thinking 360, just because controller + couch + TV = <3.

PC for me. if it involves aiming, thumbstick < mouse. plus, steam groups and better visuals ;D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited August 2009

PC for me. if it involves aiming, thumbstick < mouse. plus, steam groups and better visuals ;D

I won't argue the mouse > thumbstick, but for me 50" of 1080p/1080i > 22" of 1680x1050.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh damn.

I never saw those two gameplay videos.

Unf.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    excellent op!

I think I will end up playing as roland, reminds me of the support gunner from BF2. Classes aren't restricted on weapon usage right?

Morkath on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Signs point to no:

blpcdvdfobfinalh.jpg

It would have the GFWL logo on the cover for sure if it was a GFWL title. It might still gain the "GFW" moniker, but it certainly wouldn't require LIVE and not have it on the boxart at this point.

And I'll take 1680x1050 with high res textures over upscaled 720p graphics with muddy textures any day. Couch be damned....I actually buy computer chairs that are comfortable to sit in (what a novel concept :P).

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man part of me wants to get this for the PS3, so I can sit on my couch and shoot shit.

But the other part of me knows that is just silly because the PS3 has crap multiplayer support.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brick Prefers to use his fists?

No.. that's no good

Edit: nevermind, I approve of the fists

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That Comic-Con trailer is slick as fuck

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Box art is fucking perfect.

Also, Mordecai all the way.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm thinking I'll go PS3 because I suspect getting my PC to run this would require a significant outlay of money that I can't justify right now. I haven't yet seen the system requirements, as they don't seem to exist yet, but at this point Peggle is about the capability of my computer.

Guns that shoot acid are not quite as cool as guns that shoot bees (yes, I'm one of those freakish people who really dug Hellgate) but this does look like great fun.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Signs point to no:

blpcdvdfobfinalh.jpg

It would have the GFWL logo on the cover for sure if it was a GFWL title. It might still gain the "GFW" moniker, but it certainly wouldn't require LIVE and not have it on the boxart at this point.

And I'll take 1680x1050 with high res textures over upscaled 720p graphics with muddy textures any day. Couch be damned....I actually buy computer chairs that are comfortable to sit in (what a novel concept :P).

Amen, brother. Besides, I actually have my 360 hooked up right next to my PC so I'd have to sit in my comfy office chair anyways (I haven't used the living room in quite some time, there's dust on the TV and couches).

Also, that box art is fucking rad as hell. If they change it at the last moment because of some stupid shit I'm going to print that out and paste it onto the cover of the actual game.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have they released computer requirements for this yet?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Nothing as of yet, but prevailing wisdom is that it's an Unreal 3 engine game, so you should be able to figure out what the requirements are based on other UE3 games that are already out (but maybe slightly higher, it being an open world game and all).

Also, this is just a quick and dirty job, but I thought it'd be nice to see what a potential logo for the future Steam group might look like:

borderwangs.jpg

Yea/Nay? Changes?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited August 2009
    What's with that icon?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    What's with that icon?

It's the Borderlands icon, man! COME ON.

:P

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
    edited August 2009
    Oh. Now I feel silly. :oops:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man this game is looking good. I was all set on getting Batman, but I might wait for this. The art style and online just makes it too good.

-Loki- on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Nothing as of yet, but prevailing wisdom is that it's an Unreal 3 engine game, so you should be able to figure out what the requirements are based on other UE3 games that are already out (but maybe slightly higher, it being an open world game and all).

Also, this is just a quick and dirty job, but I thought it'd be nice to see what a potential logo for the future Steam group might look like:

borderwangs.jpg

Yea/Nay? Changes?

Maybe a bit of a dusty background rather than black, but otherwise good.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, did those element associated death animations make anyone else giggle like a delighted school boy testing his first batch of explosives?

The things I saw in those game play videos tickle my soul.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Skull faced electricity death?

Yes please.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd probably pick up a cheaper steam release along the way, but for now I'll stick with the 360 version.

Have they said anything about having more than one character on the consoles? We always seem to get gipped out on saves. We have hard drives now damn it!

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    What's with that icon?

Phallic symbol?

ghost_master2000 on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I added some new screenshots and a Rock, Paper, Shotgun hands-on. I suggest you read it if you have not, it even explains how Borderlands exists the way it does because there was a mutiny at Gearbox.

Also, Borderwangs sounds like the name of a male strip club on the Canadian Border.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to be hitting this hard with my PC. This was going to wait till after Dragon Age: Origins, but with that delay, now Dragon Age: Origins looks like it's going to have to wait.

Can't wait to explore this place with friends and get a handgun that shoots homing acid shot gun pellets.

I def. think I'm going to lean towards the dog missing steroid abusing fist smashing tank guy!

DrunkMc on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As the guy who named it Borderwangs in the first place, I fully approve of the logo. A background change could be cool, but I do like the simplicity of the black.

Mortal Sky on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I'll be fucking buying this and playing on 360. Never spent $60 for a day one purchase and never played online co-op, but I'll be damned if I miss this one. First day one purchase since....ever, I think. I LOVE planning skill layouts for characters. Like, more than playing the games sometimes if the skills are diverse enough. I also love sniper rifles that fire homing acid grenade rounds. And between random loot generation, procedural enemies and layouts, and multiple skill trees for multiple characters, I could very easily make this my last 360 purchase if they do it all right. Only question is what class to play first...

Also, anyone know the name of the song that plays in the 360 downloadable gameplay trailer? So badass.

JihadJesus on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yup, put my pre-order down yesterday for the PC.

I likes mah GUNZ.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    I def. think I'm going to lean towards the dog missing steroid abusing fist smashing tank guy!

Hells yeah. I always choose this character type on first playthroughs in games of this nature. There's just something about being an awesome wall of death that makes me cooler than my friends who play sissy mage types...

"Ok, hang on, theres a room full of enemies, let me get my buffs n shit ready.."

Awesome tank char comes walking out wiping the blood from his hands

"Oh what? Nah that room's empty.. I left some sissy mage type weapons in the chest for you though."

Then you walk away as they gently weep

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Decided I'm going 360 for this, at least at first. More people to co-op with.

Renzo on
    edited August 2009
    Since it got bottomed on the last page I'll ask again. Anyone know the name of the song from the gameplay trailer available on Live?

JihadJesus on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No Heaven by DJ Champion.

Mortal Sky on
    edited August 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Since it got bottomed on the last page I'll ask again. Anyone know the name of the song from the gameplay trailer available on Live?

and now with vidjeo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIfmM4QXL9g

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    Decided I'm going 360 for this, at least at first. More people to co-op with.

Me too Hi5.

corin7 on
    edited August 2009
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    No Heaven by DJ Champion.

Awesome.

JihadJesus on
This discussion has been closed.