As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game advice...classic RPG's

DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomedCanadaRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So lately I've had a hankering for a good old fashioned RPG.

I currently just played through the Original Quest for Glory which I thoroughly enjoyed and also a game called Realmz developed by Fantasoft.

With Dragon age coming I just can't seem to get enough of this stuff. Just wondering if anyone else knows of games like the two I just mentioned and could play.

I'm not sure if anyone here has played realmz but its a turn based RPG and I just loved it, was wondering if anyone else knows of games similiar to it.

Dixon on

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Daggerfall was just released for free on the Elder Scrolls website. Go grab it, and be buried for months.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Obviously you'll be importing your QFG character into QFGII and III, which are awesome. Can't speak for IV or V, never having played either.

You should also try Baldur's Gate I and II and Planescape: Torment.

GrimmyTOA on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    both Fallouts and Arcanum

Iriah on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I gotta find a way to get my hands on the other QFG's

I've played the fallouts and morrowind/daggerfall. I totally forgot about daggerfall though I'll grab that nows that its free.

I've heard of planescape but totally forgot about it, I'll make sure to get that to.
    Whats arcanum like?

Dixon on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How old school are we talking?

I've got a list of them, although they are mostly JRPGs, admittedly.

Ys
    Shining Force
    Lufia
    Breath of Fire
    Xenogears
    Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Cross
    Grandia
    Secret of Mana
    Star Ocean
    Parasite Eve (and to a lesser extent PE2)
    Legend of Legia
    Legend of Dragoon

Or did you mean something more along the lines of the old dos based D&D games?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How old school are we talking?

I've got a list of them, although they are mostly JRPGs, admittedly.

Ys
    Shining Force
    Lufia
    Breath of Fire
    Xenogears
    Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Cross
    Grandia
    Secret of Mana
    Star Ocean
    Parasite Eve (and to a lesser extent PE2)
    Legend of Legia
    Legend of Dragoon

Or did you mean something more along the lines of the old dos based D&D games?
    Yeah there is absolutely nothing on that list approaching a cRPG

Also, Baldur's Gate II is a relic of history that will only theoretically be recreated when technology reaches a ceiling and costs come down enough that almost no focus or cost goes into the basic gameplay or graphics and absolutely massive amounts of effort and cost can go just to writing and outrageous amounts of content, you need to play it.

Planescape Torment is the best written game pretty much tied with Bioshock, 95% of KOTOR II, and I assume Alpha protocol when it comes out. Play that shit like crazy too.

Khavall on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait.

You're telling me that there's a whole classification of RPGs that I dont even know about?

...God damn it.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Planescape Torment is the best written game pretty much tied with Bioshock, 95% of KOTOR II, and I assume Alpha protocol when it comes out. Play that shit like crazy too.

One of these things is not like the others :?
    And no, it's not the involvement of Chris Avellone
    Well, it is, if you know what I mean

And talking about QfG, you know about the VGA remake of 2, right?
    http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/homepage/homepage.html

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

One of these things is not like the others :?
    And no, it's not the involvement of Chris Avellone
    Well, it is, if you know what I mean

And talking about QfG, you know about the VGA remake of 2, right?
    http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/homepage/homepage.html

Ooh, QfG VGA remake. Awesome.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ultima Underworld 1&2

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait.

You're telling me that there's a whole classification of RPGs that I dont even know about?

...God damn it.

I'm going to have to second a call for clarification between classic RPG and classic JRPG
    Can we get a Venn diagram?

I mean, I've played pretty much everything mentioned here, and I don't see where one really ends and the other begins.

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Ultima Underworld 1&2

Or just... the ultima games.

RubberAC on
  • pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    if it's dragon age you're looking forward to, play badlur's gate 2 and the expansion. Dragon age is like the spiritual sequel to that game and its fucking fantastic

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Baldur's Gate 2 is the finest RPG ever created. Go for that first.
    Then Planescape: Torment.

Xagarath on
  • WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate 2 is the finest RPG ever created. Go for that first.
    Then Planescape: Torment.

What he said.

Then, as others have said, Arcanum.

Infact, I suggest playing Arcanum first since it'll likely be the hardest to adjust to after playing those two. It came out around the same time, but Arcanum feels more dated.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    Wait.

...God damn it.

I'm going to have to second a call for clarification between classic RPG and classic JRPG
    Can we get a Venn diagram?

I mean, I've played pretty much everything mentioned here, and I don't see where one really ends and the other begins.

As I understand it commonly:

A cRPG, or Classic RPG, is a western-style dice-based(ish) turn-based(ish) RPG. Think... well think the Baldur's Gate series, Might and Magic, Daggerfall, Icewind Dale etc.

Khavall on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought cRPG meant "computer RPG", which in fairness was the platform of choice for many classic Western RPGs, but still.

Obviously, this line has been blurred a lot over the past 10 years or so, but still.

ASimPerson on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wizardry 8?

Wizardry 8.

zhen_rogue on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

You think the writing in Bioshock and KOTOR 2 is comparable to Planescape Torment? You poor, poor fool.

Play Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment in that order.

Tav on
  • FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Ultima Underworld 1&2
    Excellent suggestions!

Also, I thought Worlds of Ultima 2: Martian Dreams was amazing. Victorian Space adventure with famous people! Learn more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_Dreams

Fuzzywhale on
    edited August 2009
    Tav wrote: »

You think the writing in Bioshock and KOTOR 2 is comparable to Planescape Torment? You poor, poor fool.

Play Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment in that order.

Well, for one thing KOTOR 2 is by the same guy so... yes.

And for Bioshock... What can change the Nature of a Man v. Would you kindly? Pretty much yeah comparable.

Khavall on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

And for Bioshock... What can change the Nature of a Man v. Would you kindly? Pretty much yeah comparable.

And everyone manages to consistently write at the same level for their entire career? KOTOR 2 was a mess in comparison to the first game and is not a patch of Planescape. The writing in Bioshock was lame and the twist was incredibly predictable. It was a wonderful, atmospheric game with some beautiful levels but it's story was rather shite.

Tav on
    edited August 2009

And everyone manages to consistently write at the same level for their entire career? KOTOR 2 was a mess in comparison to the first game and is not a patch of Planescape. The writing in Bioshock was lame and the twist was incredibly predictable. It was a wonderful, atmospheric game with some beautiful levels but it's story was rather shite.

Oh I see the problem.

you can't recognize good writing.

Never mind then.

EDIT: And apparently can see the future/totally didn't understand Bioshock's twist if you thought it was predictable.

Khavall on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thank you all for your suggestions I've got quite a bit of a queue now of games to play. I'm also going to be looking at alpha protocol now :P

Also I have never heard of wizardry 8 but a good friend of mine owns a copy so I'm in luck

Dixon on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bioshock's writing was schlock, packed with complex ideas from better writers to cover for the fact that the game itself's storyline and writing were deficient.

Wizardry 6-8 or 9ish are all fun games, and will devour plenty of your life if you let them. 7 was one of my favorites.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Like others have said:

Planescape: Torment and KOTOR II both are excellently written.

KOTOR II up until the end, that is (rushed out the door, ending is terrible)

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Any Ultima before Ultima VIII. You might still be able to find Ultima IV for free online because it was released for free and given permission to spread around back when Ultima IX was being released. I don't know if that permission was ever rescinded or expired, but I never heard that it did.

Dalboz on
  • Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One of my favorites was Ogre Battle. Originally for the SNES, I think there was a version for the PS1 at some point.

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    can't believe I forgot this. Nox!

Iriah on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You might want to consider looking at some of the Spiderweb Software stuff. The games all have huge demos, and even the newer stuff is somewhat retro-ish.

jothki on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    KOTOR 1's writing was formulaic star wars

KOTOR 2's writing was good, but ruined by the fact that it stopped 2/3s of the way through the story

PS:T's writing was great, but overdone in a lot of ways.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is a great game that is way underrated because of how terrible it was at release. Patched up though, it's excellent.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    You might want to consider looking at some of the Spiderweb Software stuff. The games all have huge demos, and even the newer stuff is somewhat retro-ish.

I loved Avernum 3, but for some reason I quit halfway through Avernum 4 and quit every time I try to come back to it. I can't really articulate what is different, but it ceased being fun to me for some reason.

fallaxdraco on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jothki wrote: »

I loved Avernum 3, but for some reason I quit halfway through Avernum 4 and quit every time I try to come back to it. I can't really articulate what is different, but it ceased being fun to me for some reason.

It's a pretty different game thanks to the reworking of the map structure to eliminate an overworld map. Besides getting rid of random battles, it compressed the world to a pretty absurd extent. The world used to be huge thanks to the scale shift between the overworld and cities/dungeons, but now everything is really close together.

Out of curiosity, did you manage to make it to the Honeycomb (or is it not in the game)? That and the caves around Motrax's lair used to be enormous tangled messes, and I know the Motrax caves ended up pretty much just being a loop.

I've heard it just wasn't that good, though. I dunno if Avernum 5 is any better, I loved Exile but never got into the Avernum series, either during or after the remakes.

jothki on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As a massive fan of the Quest for Glory series, I'd recommend Fable 2. It's pretty much the closest thing I've found that recaptures much of the feel and joy of the QFG games.

devoir on
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't recommend Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines enough.

Tanolen on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    Wizardry 8?

Wizardry 8.

If I died and the afterlife turned out to just be a big game of Wizardry 8, I would find that perfectly acceptable.

Jasconius on
  • SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Iriah wrote: »
    can't believe I forgot this. Nox!

Nox is hilarious.

HI-LARIOUS.

And all 3 endings are great. The worst one is where you go back to the freaking trailer park. Goddamn wizard of super powered awesomeness gets put back into a trailer trash existence.

Slo on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Daggerfall was just released for free on the Elder Scrolls website. Go grab it, and be buried for months.

every time I try to DL this it just says to look at their privacy policy and that's it =/

Xaquin on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum, Ultima 7 (+ expansion)

Planescape is the ever RPG ever - Play it last though. Everything else will seem disapointing by comparison.

JohnDoe on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    As a massive fan of the Quest for Glory series, I'd recommend Fable 2. It's pretty much the closest thing I've found that recaptures much of the feel and joy of the QFG games.

If the OP is looking for that Quest for Glory "Hero on a Mission"-style adventure, then devoir is dead-on.

However, I'll chime in and say that Bioshock's writing was good...but not great. It was an enjoyable setting and some creative ideas, but they telegraphed the big reveal a little too much, and basically butchered the deeper themes of the Ayn Rand novel they unofficially based the story on.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png