As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My internets are wonky.

XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Actually, I think wonky would be a nice way to put my internet problems.

The more accurate term would be completely fucked up.

ok, here is the happenings. I have two computers hooked up to a nice linksys router which is in turn hooked up to a nice Comcast cable modem. I've been living here for almost two years with this setup/service and my internet has been nothing less than lightning fast.

Until a last thursday.

First, I guess, a little info.

I've tried all the usual suspects (virus, cache, etc.)

I've run Avast Antivirus (current) with not so much as a single virus on either computer. Ad Aware on both (newest version) CCleaner on both (newest version).

Both comps have their most recent mobo drivers. both are running the most recent version of Firefox and both have full windows updates.

I can see in the task manager, and having turned off junk in msconfig that, no weird processes are running in the background (that I can see anyway).

so. Last Thursday (game night!) I get on Skype with 7 friends (like I have for the past year) and we play WC3: TFT custom maps. we play a few games and decide to play some new TD map I've never played. I DL it and get in the game and POW. My internet slows to a crawl. The game is completely unplayable. Skype goes dead (I'm still in the program, but no sound at all). I restart and same problem. I try to browse websites and no dice (making the new post here took about 2 minutes to load).

I reset my router and the cable modem (unplugged and let sit for 5 minutes etc.) and turned them back on. No change. I then unplugged the router and hooked one comp directly to the cable modem. Also, no change. I called Comcast to see if it was on their end. I talked to some lady who I feel probably couldn't even spell computer. Even though, I did everything she asked me to do (which I had already done, but I humored her). She also reset the modem from her work station (or so she claimed) (the lights went out and gradually came back, so I guess she told the truth). No change. She said it must be my computers. I personally doubt that both computers would be stricken by the same malady on the same night (especially since one wasn't even on at the time).

In frustration, I said a lot of four letter words, turned them off and went to bed. The next day, I decided to try a test. I got on Skype and it worked fine. I then tried to access facebook. It slowed to a crawl and eventually timed out. I then loaded up Steam and joined a game of Day of Defeat. My ping was 28 and the server claims to be in Texas (I live in Maryland). Then I tried to access my gmail (no dice).

Which brings us to today. This morning (and indeed about 4 hours ago) my internet was MOVING. I was over joyed! However, about half an hour ago it's back to crawling =/

I just pinged google and it doesn't seem so bad.

ING www.l.google.com (209.85.225.147) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from iy-in-f147.google.com (209.85.225.147): icmp_seq=0 ttl=242 time=18.2 ms
64 bytes from iy-in-f147.google.com (209.85.225.147): icmp_seq=1 ttl=242 time=18.5 ms
64 bytes from iy-in-f147.google.com (209.85.225.147): icmp_seq=2 ttl=242 time=18.2 ms
64 bytes from iy-in-f147.google.com (209.85.225.147): icmp_seq=3 ttl=242 time=18.0 ms

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 18.093/18.294/18.587/0.206 ms, pipe 2

then again, I have no idea what that even means =/

help me H/A

I'm at a loss.

Xaquin on

• I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    it sounds like spyware.

run your antivirus and if that doesn't fix it it's time for a good ol format

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This happened to me about two years ago with Comcast. Turns out they were 'upgrading their network', or so the customer service flunky told me on the third call after repeated spotty outages.

Comcast also just recently turned on an auto-DNS-redirect page, for whenever you put in a URL that doesn't exist. Instead of getting the 'page not found' you normally would, it takes you to a page full of ads they're making money off of. I don't know if it would affect gaming, but it doesn't hurt to opt out of the program, since it's bullshit. Go here - https://dns-opt-out.comcast.net/ when you're on your home computer, it'll ask you for a confirmation email and your router's MAC.

Alternately, it could always be the router. Try hooking the computer straight to the modem for a while, and see if it drops. I had an old, old Linksys that would do the same thing you're having problems with as it started to die.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I doubt its your router, your ping times are fine. That means your internet connection is moving fine, its just the internet application (a browser) that is slow. Like Chuck said, its probably spyware from that file you d/led.

Download a copy of Ad-Aware and see what it finds. You could also try and use the system restore function and go back a few days.

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I ended up calling comcast again and the guy I talked to (eventually) admitted that they had hundreds of calls from my area and were trying to figure out what was going on.

Xaquin on