As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Batman:Arkham Asylum - Out Now (PS3/360) Not Out Now (PC/EU/AU damnit)

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't you unlock Batsuit armor when you finish the game, anyway?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And from the Xbox blade (Canada marketplace):

img2950zgc.jpg

Poor Best Buy, EBgames and Futureshop are going to be crying themselves to sleep (game goes for 69.99 everywhere else)

Bamelin on
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck me. I actually work at a Walmart here in Canadaland too so I could get my discount on top of that. I soooooo want the Collector's Edition though......plus I already pre-ordered it so yeah. Kind of a kick to the nuts knowing I'm gonna pay an extra $60 for it instead of only $30 though.

Jayricho on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Bamelin wrote: »
    The PRICE look at the PRICE

And I'm not canadian, so the price doesn't affect me one way or another. But ANOTHER bit of exclusive content does.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jesus, I was gonna get the pc version but at that price I'll prob get the 360 one.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

And I'm not canadian, so the price doesn't affect me one way or another. But ANOTHER bit of exclusive content does.

I wonder if that exclusive content will be available through Walmart USA as well?

Bamelin on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy shit!
    Smallville season eight hits this week.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yes. The only real exclusive content is the PS3 joker shit. The walmart and co "exclusives" are just dlc codes to get shit earlier.

I forget my source, but I can pretty much gaurentee that statment.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited August 2009

I wonder if that exclusive content will be available through Walmart USA as well?

It is. When I walk into the local Wal-Mart, there's a big AA ad sitting there advertising the Batsuit Armor.

UnbreakableVow on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That price is bloody hard to believe, since it's going for the regular $69.99 everywhere else.

I might just consider picking it up for that price. I was just planning on renting it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Damnit, I was all excited for that EXCELLENT price point until I saw it was Canadian Walmarts only :(

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited August 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Damnit, I was all excited for that EXCELLENT price point until I saw it was Canadian Walmarts only :(

If you have played the demo I think we can all agree that $60 American is an excellent price point for this.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »

If you have played the demo I think we can all agree that $60 American is an excellent price point for this.

Hey, I'll take $20 extra whenever I can get it.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Yes. The only real exclusive content is the PS3 joker shit. The walmart and co "exclusives" are just dlc codes to get shit earlier.

I forget my source, but I can pretty much gaurentee that statment.

The OP? :P
    * Armored Batsuit will be unlockable during the normal game by beating the game on any difficulty if you don't preorder at Walmart / Play.com.

*The exclusive Challenge Maps from the GameStop / Play.co.uk preorder and the Collectors Edition will possibly be up for download 30 days after the release of the video game.

Gadget Trailer

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid22879226001?bctid=33832568001

Gadget Write-Up
    Batman: Arkham Asylum Hands-on Preview

I love gadgets. I love reading websites that focus on little pieces of crazy technology, and I've spent too much money on any number of small items I just have to have in my backpack (i.e. netbooks, handheld gaming systems, multi-tools, flashlights, etc.). I think this strange fascination with gadgetry is one of the reasons I've always liked Batman. He makes up for the fact that he isn't magically or scientifically imbued with superpowers through his own martial prowess and a healthy dose of awesome, high-tech pieces of equipment.

Any Batman game worth its salt is going to make Batman's utility belt a big part, if not the foundation, of how you play, and thankfully Batman: Arkham Asylum does not disappoint. While I've only played through the first four chapters of the game, I've already gotten my mitts on several of the Dark Knight's technical assistants, and I'm happy to say that they make Arkham Asylum the most authentic Batman experience yet.

The Batarang

Perhaps the most classic of all Batman's devices, the Batarang is not only awesome because it's essentially a glorified ninja star, but also because it serves multiple purposes. Kind of like Batman's survival knife, I found myself using it constantly during Arkham Asylum. In combat it was useful for temporary stunning or blinding enemies (a sharp blade in the face will typically do that), but it also was useful in solving puzzles that involved something hanging precariously from the ceiling. It's easy to forget about the Batarang because you start the game with it -- and it's not nearly as cool-looking as some of the other gadgets -- but it is probably the most essential of them all.

Explosive Gel (Gun)

While not as all-around useful as the Batarang, the Explosive Gel does serve many a purpose in Arkham Asylum. Batman uses it akin to how one might use a hot-glue gun, placing small bat symbols on spots where he wants to trigger an explosion. Besides using it to knock down hollow walls to gather collectibles, it's also used regularly to gain access to places where conventional entryways are jammed. My favorite use for it, though, was to set traps. For instance, when I found myself up against four armed villains who were all pointing guns at a woman, I simply placed gel on the appropriate walls and then detonated them so that all the guys were all taken out at once. This definitely made me feel like The Bat.

Batclaw

Ok, so it looks a helluva lot like a grappling hook, but the Bat Claw is not for swinging around. Oftentimes Batman will run into areas that seem like dead ends, only to find that there are boxes or air vents out of his reach. With a good bit of aim the Batclaw makes short work of heavy objects, allowing Batman to rip vents from the wall or pull boxes out of his way. But while it certainly helped me get through environmental puzzles, I much preferred the Batclaw for its combat uses. Quickly tapping the Right Trigger on the 360 allowed me to shoot it mid-combat, allowing me to break up my combos and pull armed enemies in close to me. Did I mention it also made me feel like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat?

Cryptographic Sequencer

While it doesn't have any combat value whatsoever, the Cryptographic Sequencer (CS) is classic Batman gadgetry. You don't have it until a few hours in, but after you obtain it secured doors and security systems are little problem, as you simply tune the CS -- much like tuning in a radio -- until you hit a frequency that causes the electrical components of the security obstruction to explode. It's easy enough when you have plenty of time, but when you have to use it under time constraints -- something I had to do more than once during my time with the game -- it really helps solidify the type of tech-savvy, brainy hero that Batman is.

Grappling Hook

If you've ever watched a Batman movie or seen the animated series then you've doubtless seem the Dark Knight catch himself mid-fall thanks to a well-placed grappling hook. In Arkham Asylum the grappling hook is not only used to save yourself when you fall down a hole or into some hazardous gas, but also to get yourself up to otherwise inaccessible places. Lots of rooms in the asylum are filled with places for Batman to swing to, and the hook really allows you to feel like a predator stalking evildoers. For instance you might enter a room on foot, quickly sneak up on an enemy, and then swing yourself up into the rafters after he cries out as you hit him. Upon hearing his cry the other enemies in the room will come to see what happened, and you can watch their terror grow from the shadows as they find his crumpled body. The grappling hook is the least-flashy of all Batman's tools, but it's hands-down the one that makes you feel the most empowered.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is, in my opinion, the truest Batman experience players have ever had. With a host of gadgets --some of which I haven't even seen yet -- the team has made a game that exemplifies how Batman is a hero who uses his brains as much as his brawn. Now if only I was a millionaire who could have crazy stuff made for me...

Hitsuraptor on
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow, I'm actually glad I signed up for the Best Buy Rewards Zone to shut that one register monkey up. The collector's edition won't hurt so much.

Too bad Wally World won't have the CE.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    It would appear the Joker DLC is working.

The PS3 version of Arkham Asylum has been ahead of the 360 version in Amazon pre-order sales consistently.

UnbreakableVow on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

The PS3 version of Arkham Asylum has been ahead of the 360 version in Amazon pre-order sales consistently.

It'll be interesting to see the Steam sales charts when Batman ships. I wonder if it will place with all this bonus content for the consoles.

I also wonder if Eidos will complain that the PC version didn't sell enough and not acknowledge all the bonuses and sales of the console versions.

Don't mind me, I'm still upset at the horrible comments I heard about Condemneds sales on the PC.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've played the demo at least 30 times (the predator room, specifically) and I am still hearing new dialogue from the Joker over the PA.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've played the PC and 360 demo but I'm not really sure which one I'm going to pick up. 360 one comes out earlier and gamepad controls feel better, but the PC version looks a little nicer (as far as I can tell, might just be imagining it) and is cheaper. 360 version doesn't have PhysX support, does it? Not that it really matters, just curious is all.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No enhanced PhysX effects on the console versions (although I don't see any reason it's still not using the actual middleware itself, being UE3 and all), and you can plug in a 360 controller to your PC if it bothers you that much.

No 100" TV or silk couches filled with lamb fetuses or whatever, though.

Zxerol on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I always preferred the Batman/WW pairing to the WW/Superman thing that seems more common. Wonder Womans powers with Batmans Batmaness in a child? Would be awesome.

WW/Superman are a terrible pairing anyway. Whenever it's used, it always seems to just be a fanboy excuse to pair two of the strongest characters in the DCU, personalities be damned.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    No enhanced PhysX effects on the console versions (although I don't see any reason it's still not using the actual middleware itself, being UE3 and all), and you can plug in a 360 controller to your PC if it bothers you that much.

Well that settles it.
    If I can't play while sitting on lamb fetuses, I don't want to play at all.
    It just wouldn't feel right, know what I mean?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tru dat. Spending all that money every two months to get my rig up to date only allows me to afford a chair with rat fetuses, which just isn't the same, you know? I envy you guys with your awesome butt-propping devices.

Zxerol on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »

Just for the record the PhysX isn't UE3. It's based on Aegia's custom tech, which Nvidia now owns. I doubt you'll see a 360 doing it anytime soon. You'd need at least one processor for the 360 dedicated for it and Nvidia and MS working together to write the software to do it. Maybe on their next console.

I am jealous of the lamb fetus couch. Here I am sitting on pleather gaming in front of my PC. I need a higher paying job to afford some of this lamb fetus furniture.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty sure Direct3D 11 will include a physics solution by Microsoft and PhysX will go the way of the dinosaur.

tofu on
    edited August 2009
    Last I heard, PhysX was essentially the official physics middleware for UE3 (back when it was called NovodeX), and I don't think that's changed. Like Havoc, for instance, it can run on a general purpose CPU. In fact, I'm willing to bet that most people here have already played a game that used PhysX, on the consoles or PC (Gears of War and Fat Princess are examples).

This hardware-accelerated version of PhysX is just a little more exotic.

edit: check this list out, although I will not vouch for its veracity

Zxerol on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just thinking, how awesome would it be to have sections like the Predator Room in co-op?
    Someone (or something) swoops out of the rafters, and everyone starts running towards the screams. Then, the last man in the group vanishes as they run under a gargoyle...
    The potential to mess with the henchmen would be huge.
    Idle dreams I know, but for something like that, it'd be worth putting up with the Boy Wonder.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The problem with that is that one guy has to run around in a bright red/green costume.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Batgirl.jpg

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The problem with that is that one guy has to run around NOT BEING BATMAN.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Boobies!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cronus wrote: »

It'll be interesting to see the Steam sales charts when Batman ships. I wonder if it will place with all this bonus content for the consoles.

I also wonder if Eidos will complain that the PC version didn't sell enough and not acknowledge all the bonuses and sales of the console versions.

Don't mind me, I'm still upset at the horrible comments I heard about Condemneds sales on the PC.

i wouldn't worry about the PC version missing the bonus content for consoles much.

the PC players have already created a DOZEN different suits just for the demo. check this out:

bbsuit00215086831514022.jpg

yep. batman begins. they've also got the suit from the dark knight and lots of others.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=92752

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aside from Batgirl, theres also Nightwing, Catwoman, and Huntress, too. Plenty of Bat-sidekicks that don't dress in bright colors.

LockedOnTarget on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    The problem with that is that one guy has to run around in a bright red/green costume.

To be fair, when they re-imagined his costume for BTAS it looked pretty cool.

subedii on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cronus wrote: »

i wouldn't worry about the PC version missing the bonus content for consoles much.

the PC players have already created a DOZEN different suits just for the demo. check this out:

bbsuit00215086831514022.jpg

yep. batman begins. they've also got the suit from the dark knight and lots of others.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=92752

If they find a way to import models then that's the end of it. Robin, Nightwing, and probably any number of comic characters are likely to make a showing.

Like the Tim Burton and Green Lanter Batsuit skins though

subedii on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Since we're not really talking about AA anymore anyway, where does one start with the Justice League cartoons? Aren't there two different series or something like that? Do they follow the continuity of Batman the Animated Series, or are they standalone?

BTAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, JL, and JLU are all linked in a shared universe. Static Shock an The Zeta Project, too, but those are more side stories with the occasional cameo.

If you've already watched BTAS, I would reccomend watching the series in the order they came out. STAS first, then BB, then JL, then JLU. If you really just want to skip to the League stuff, then just start with Justice League seasons one and two, then Justice League Unlimited Seasons one and two. The two shows are linked, but follow a different format. JL follows the seven core heroes(Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl) and does longer two and three-part episodes almost exclusively. In JLU, the League expands to include almost every DC hero there is, and does mostly one-shot episodes starring a different collection of members each time, usually one or two of the big seven and one or two of the other heroes.

I would really reccomend at least watching Superman first, though. Aside from being a great show in it's own right, a lot of the late-series stuff gets brought up again in JL/JLU, and it contains the first Superman/Batman team-up episodes as well. And introduces both The Flash and the Green Lantern Corps. Lex Luthor is also a pretty major character in the JL shows.
    This post right here has ensured that I will have plenty of cartoons to watch in the coming months. Thank you.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really want to play through as Zurr En Arrh Batman now. Stick included.

Mr Pink on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I have to assume theres gonna be a decent amount of alternate costumes, considering the engine and whats been done in a few weeks theres no reason there shouldn't be.

DarkWarrior on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Those skins are awesome, but I think I'm still gonna go with the 360. Just because I don't have a controller yet for my PC. But, if they get really awesome with the mods, it may be a Steam Sale purchase just for mod play through.

DrunkMc on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Those skins are awesome, but I think I'm still gonna go with the 360. Just because I don't have a controller yet for my PC. But, if they get really awesome with the mods, it may be a Steam Sale purchase just for mod play through.

If you have a 360, you have a controller for your PC. Unless your 360 doesn't have any controllers.

LockedOnTarget on