As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadow Complex: The last liberal is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace. (new OP)

• RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yup, sure likes grey, dark things.

RichardTauber on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think it looks pretty sweet. I could play Metroidvanias all day, errday. I don't have a 360... but I'm certain my bro will borrow his to me for a free game.

Wait, I think I have it right now. Hurrah!

Monsty on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    this will be the first game I actually spend the $15 on. looks so worth every penny.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    this will be the first game I actually spend the $15 on. looks so worth every penny.

You're missing out not getting Castle Crashers.

Just sayin..

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    All you can Quaff, or whatever it's called, was the biggest bs of an online game and achievement ever to grace the 360. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I tried that nonsense the other day and gave up halfway because seriously? They wasted lined of CODE on this?

Imperfect on
    edited July 2009
    I even got the stupid achievement...it just took friggin forever due to all the people who use turbo out there. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    New preview up on Kotaku
    http://kotaku.com/5315410/shadow-complex-preview-to-get-past-metroid

One of the things I noticed is that the game is going to be 900MB

I need a bigger hard drive :(

Undead Scottsman on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This looks cool ! I really am enjoying Trine right now (on PC) im really liking this trend of making the 2.5 sidescrollers lately. It's cool to see some devs taking us back to the old school once and a while.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am very excited for this game. It sits right in the sweet spot of length and complexity that I can handle nowadays - stuff like Fallout is just too big and complex for me to take on anymore with my limited playtime. This looks perfect.

I'm really hoping that the lead fellow is pumped because he's got a great game on his hands, and not because he finally got to live some personal dream of making a Metroid spinoff that's golden in his eyes but uninspired and unoriginal to everyone else.

nlawalker on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hooooly crap, this one got completely under my radar. I've needed a fix for this kind of game for a few yers now, and it drops this week? Looks awesome.

Mechanical on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am....Iron Man!

(thunk)
    You'll be thinking the same thing soon, trust me.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It is now impossible for me to think about Iron Man without thinking of Burger King.

UnbreakableVow on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I must hook up my xbox to the nets!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • PendegastPendegast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Damnit, why did they have to base this on a Orson Scott Card story? It looks like my dream game... But Card is such an insane scumbag, there's no way I'm paying a dime toward his royalty checks.

Pendegast on
    edited August 2009
    Pendegast wrote: »
    Damnit, why did they have to base this on a Orson Scott Card story? It looks like my dream game... But Card is such an insane scumbag, there's no way I'm paying a dime toward his royalty checks.

Have fun not playing what is probably going to be the downloadable game of the year. :lol:

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2009

Technically they didn't base it on an Orson Scott Card story. They had Orson Scott Card write books for an eventual videogame. At least so says wikipedia
    Empire is not an original Orson Scott Card project, but rather stems from the development of the Empire video game. The game is being developed by the brothers Donald and Geremy Mustard, founders of the newly formed Chair Entertainment Group development studio. Card was contacted by Donald Mustard and offered the chance to develop the game's storyline as well as a novel to set the series into action.[11]

The Xbox Live Arcade Game Shadow Complex was announced by Donald Mustard to be a tie-in to the second installment of Orson Scott Card's Empire Trilogy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_(2006_novel)

Undead Scottsman on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Any time a game comes out on XBLA or PSN and not simultaneously the other, god kills a kitten. Sometimes two.

Please, Microsoft, Sony, think of the kittens.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited August 2009
    Kainy wrote: »
    Any time a game comes out on XBLA or PSN and not simultaneously the other, god kills a kitten. Sometimes two.

Please, Microsoft, Sony, think of the kittens.

It's an MS exclusive game. Not much chance of seeing it on PSN.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2009
    Well uh

It's published by Microsoft.

And you know, competition.

UnbreakableVow on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    New preview up on Kotaku

Word of advice. Only the 160Gig drive comes with a transfer cable. If you want a used or 60Gig instead, your LIVE account will let you see EVERYTHING you ever downloaded and take it one by one. But not your actual game-saves.*

Instead you buy a cheap memory card from Amazon, get all your game saves off the old hard drive and move them to the new one.

*Some games record your progress on Live, like Call of Duty (I kept my rank and classes and didn't even have to look for intel again.) and Splosion Man.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pearoast from XBLA thread:

http://www.thegamingvault.com/2009/08/shadow-complex-review-360/
    Even taking its small issues into account, Shadow Complex is a stunning Xbox Live Arcade offering and indeed one of the strongest titles to grace the Xbox 360 period, outstripping many big-budget disc based games.

It’s absorbing, addictive, charming and above all else fun – and it bought out the obsessive kid in me who spent hours and hours trying to 100% Super Metroid. Chair and Epic have put out something that suits both their names here – it will definitely keep you glued to your chair and it is definitely, definitely Epic.

My Review. It missed a 10 by a tiny amount. Tiny. Still a fantastic game though, one of my favorites this gen.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
    edited August 2009

Why, if there were no Orson Scott Card, then I would have no Ender series...a world without the Ender series is like if there were a world without the Dune books. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • FreakinchairFreakinchair Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am....Iron Man!

(thunk)
    You'll be thinking the same thing soon, trust me.

Hey, your sig - what comic is that?

Also when does this hit marketplace?

Freakinchair on
    I'd construct a situation such that everyone died at the exact same moment so that we could attack whatever afterlife there happens to be en masse and so take it over and create a perfect unending afterlife existence. Also, everyone who wanted one would have an afterlife pony.
    edited August 2009
    9.4 from IGN

5/5 from Giant Bomb

9/10 from Eurogamer

Yesssss

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    New preview up on Kotaku

Word of advice. Only the 160Gig drive comes with a transfer cable. If you want a used or 60Gig instead, your LIVE account will let you see EVERYTHING you ever downloaded and take it one by one. But not your actual game-saves.*

Instead you buy a cheap memory card from Amazon, get all your game saves off the old hard drive and move them to the new one.

*Some games record your progress on Live, like Call of Duty (I kept my rank and classes and didn't even have to look for intel again.) and Splosion Man.
    Luckily, when I bought my second 360, I got an arcade back when they came with memory cards.
    9.4 from IGN

5/5 from Giant Bomb

9/10 from Eurogamer

Yesssss

Is it Wednesday yet?

Undead Scottsman on
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The worst bit is that even when it's released, we have to wait for 900mb to download before we can play :(.

area on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DAWN OF THE SECOND DAY

I cannot wait for this to drop; my work schedule is terrible this week, so I probably won't get home until crazy late, and even on Wednesday I'll probably be going out for my birthday, and it's terrible but I don't want to go out drinking or anything—I just want to sit home and play Shadow Complex. :(

EDIT: The reviews so far are absurdly good.

IGN: 9.4/10
    Shadow Complex probably could have used a little more development time to iron out a few glitches and nail down the sometimes awkward aiming system. Even so, it stands as one of the best games yet in 2009. And I'm not just talking about the Xbox Live Arcade. The classic, exploration-heavy gameplay is a winner. Go buy this game.

Giant Bomb: 5/5
    Shadow Complex is an incredibly well-made game that finally grabs the "Metroidvania" subgenre and drags it into the modern era instead of relegating it to a land of remakes or portable games. Players that obsess over speed runs and 100 percent completion will certainly find a lot of replayability, but even players who just want to play a game start to finish and move on will find that the quality of Shadow Complex makes it well worth its $15 price tag.

Eurogamer: 9/10
    For once the Super Metroid reference isn't a lazy critic's crutch. Epic Games has always declared its intention to resurrect the classic 2D side-scrolling exploration game, once popularized by Nintendo's seminal space adventure, later perfected by Konami's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. So while Shadow Complex's story and setting may be popcorn nonsense, the mechanics they clothe are golden.

The result is a glorious 3D reimagining of the Metroidvania style of game, at once reverent of its references, yet also eager to better their achievements. In some areas it meets this tall order, in others it falls a little short. Nevertheless, it's a game that will delight gamers old enough to recognise the classics it celebrates, while captivating those oblivious to its inspirations. Its inevitable success in the coming weeks and months could even kick-start the genre. Drop a stone into this game and the splash may never echo back. Its significance might just be unfathomable.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it Wednesday yet?

desc on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GAME ANTICIPATION BONER REACHING CRITICAL MASS

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't wait to get my hands on this...

Hawk on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh shit I picked a bad week to move. My internet was supposed to be hooked up last week, but for some reason it didn't happen, now I'm hoping for tomorrow, but who the fuck knows? Oh shiiiiiiiit. I might have to wait even longer for my most anticipated game of the year. Fuuuuck.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh shit I picked a bad week to move. My internet was supposed to be hooked up last week, but for some reason it didn't happen, now I'm hoping for tomorrow, but who the fuck knows? Oh shiiiiiiiit. I might have to wait even longer for my most anticipated game of the year. Fuuuuck.

You must have at least one friend with an internet connection that will let you download this game who lives near you! Explain the situation to them calmly and I'm sure they'll understand. :lol:

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

You must have at least one friend with an internet connection that will let you download this game who lives near you! Explain the situation to them calmly and I'm sure they'll understand. :lol:

I'll probably just end up taking my box over to my brother's and download this shit. I have had points sitting on my box since E3 just for this game. I also need to grab the Arkham demo, and give the Trials HD demo a whirl. Damn you Sasktel!

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    DAWN OF THE SECOND DAY

I cannot wait for this to drop; my work schedule is terrible this week, so I probably won't get home until crazy late, and even on Wednesday I'll probably be going out for my birthday, and it's terrible but I don't want to go out drinking or anything—I just want to sit home and play Shadow Complex. :(

EDIT: The reviews so far are absurdly good.

IGN: 9.4/10
    Shadow Complex probably could have used a little more development time to iron out a few glitches and nail down the sometimes awkward aiming system. Even so, it stands as one of the best games yet in 2009. And I'm not just talking about the Xbox Live Arcade. The classic, exploration-heavy gameplay is a winner. Go buy this game.

Giant Bomb: 5/5
    Shadow Complex is an incredibly well-made game that finally grabs the "Metroidvania" subgenre and drags it into the modern era instead of relegating it to a land of remakes or portable games. Players that obsess over speed runs and 100 percent completion will certainly find a lot of replayability, but even players who just want to play a game start to finish and move on will find that the quality of Shadow Complex makes it well worth its $15 price tag.

Eurogamer: 9/10
    For once the Super Metroid reference isn't a lazy critic's crutch. Epic Games has always declared its intention to resurrect the classic 2D side-scrolling exploration game, once popularized by Nintendo's seminal space adventure, later perfected by Konami's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. So while Shadow Complex's story and setting may be popcorn nonsense, the mechanics they clothe are golden.

The result is a glorious 3D reimagining of the Metroidvania style of game, at once reverent of its references, yet also eager to better their achievements. In some areas it meets this tall order, in others it falls a little short. Nevertheless, it's a game that will delight gamers old enough to recognise the classics it celebrates, while captivating those oblivious to its inspirations. Its inevitable success in the coming weeks and months could even kick-start the genre. Drop a stone into this game and the splash may never echo back. Its significance might just be unfathomable.

Ars Technica: Buy.
    This doesn't feel like a downloadable title in quality or presentation; everything from the graphics to the voice acting and the somewhat pulpy story impresses on multiple levels. I can think of many moments and details and asides that stick out in my mind, but it's better for everyone if you simply play for yourself on Wednesday, August 19. I'm watching online videos and peeping screenshots, and I'm finding ways to tackle situations and use weapons that I completely missed the first time through.

Edit: I like how the IGN video review mentions playing through the game four times and wanting to come back for more. Awesome.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wish Gold members of 1 year or more had some sort of VIP access. We know Shadow Complex is up, we want to buy it, just let us pay for it and play it!

Hawk on
  • DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So is there any chance of us contributing our Live tags to the thread so we can play some good ol' fashioned leaderboard wars? I'd love to see an all-out battle to see who can keep the most headshots or fastest run times.

My tag is DebaserZbs, if we do it.

Oh yeah, and what time do they usually update Xbox Live Marketplace on Wednesdays?

DebaserZbs on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What's the best way to knock one's self unconscious for approximately two days?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Whoo! Almost out... 900MB? SHIT! I still only have a 20GB. I don't want to pay an outrageous price for a 160GB HD! I spent $100 on a 500GB HD for my laptop! How can Microsoft get away with their prices?

Oh well, good thing I have 6.4GB free. (The other day I ran out of space, so I cleaned some junk off)

Cannot wait!!!!! (5 exclamation points!!!!!)

Jasoco on